JVC -LT46FN97 - Please Help- Resolution Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-12-2006, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just received this TV. I bought it from Costco.. It's very nice and the picture is quite good... However, I have a few questions about this TV and well HD tv's in general..

First off let me give you some details.. I have a HD4200 SA box from Cablevision, my Cable provider here in NY. I have component cables from my box to my Video 1 input into the back of the tv.

I have set up the cable box to view ALL inputs, from 1080i to 480i (and everything in the middle)

Now, when i turn on the TV and go to a regular SD channel like CBS news or CNN or TBS, the channel is displayed in 480i as it's only SD tv.. However, unlike my father's plasma, a Maxent 42" the JVC doesn't display what the signal is, as in 480i or 480p, etc. When i go to an HD channel like NBC-HD on channel 704, for example, lastnight at 11:40pm, Leno was on, the picture looked amazing, but again, the TV didn't say whether the signal was in 1080i, or 720p.. Maybe this isn't a problem and i shouldn't care, but i feel as though there should be a way to figure this out..

I have an xbox (not 360) that i just wanted to hook up and fool aroudn with.. Well at first i hooked it up with component cables, and again, i had no idea if the game i mvp baseball 2005 was being displayed in 720p (which it is capable of) or 480p.. It appeared as though it was 720p, but there was no way to check this..

Then i switched over to S-Video and again i was unsure.... Correct me if i am wrong, but s-video can do 480p? correct??? Im not sure on this one... However, again, i wasn't sure if it was 480i or 480p..

This is a 1080p tv, so say i had a ps3 that sent out a signal at 1080i (jvc doesn't have 1080p input) however, the screen is 1080p... Does the signal just automatically get upconverted to 1080p..

Again, the manual is of no help and i called customer service, and they weren't much help either..

All im trying to do is to make sure that the programs i am watching are coming in correctly that the tv is doing what it is suppose to..

Thank for any help

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-12-2006, 11:38 AM

Liked: 10
Partial answer to your questions ...

S Video is SD (480i) only, just like composite. For HD you need to use component or a digital connection.

Is your cable box set to output in HD or not? Don't use an old analog cable and expect HD; it ain't gonna happen! ;)
post #3 of 3 Old 10-12-2006, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
You should have posted this in the active users FH97, FN97 thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=695173

To answer a couple of your questions........ Yes, the 1080i is automatically deinterlaced (not upconverted) to 1080p.

The set does not display what resolution it receives and there is no need to display what it is showing as everything is displayed as 1080p
Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page