1.07 billion colors vs 16.7 million colors - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-18-2006, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know there is a huge difference in numbers. But in real-world application ,how much a difference is there? The reason I'm asking is because I own a Samsung LN-3241D and it has a 16.7 million color spectrum. To me the TV has a slight red push on flesh tones mostly. It just doesn't look very natural. Also when I hooked it up thru the VGA port on a PC the colors were very muted. The resolution was excellent but colors not so good.

On the other hand I have looked at the LG 32LCD. The specs say that it sports a color spectrum of 1.07 billion. Will I notice a difference? I've looked at the sets side by side @ CC and I can't tell. But then again I couldn't find the remote to mess w/the settings. If anyone has any experience with these sets or at least LG's and Sammys ,please your opinion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks .

XBL Gamer Tag : RocketKnight73 / xFRiT0 BANDiT0x
Fanboys = 30 year old men still living in their parents basements..Or dudes that have ZERO chance of gettin' some...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-18-2006, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

What is more important than the actual color statistic, is the underlying meaning. 16.7 million colors means 8-bit color processing. Basically, this means you have 256 "shades of gradation" with an 8-bit set. This can lead to color banding, especially in low light areas on the screen. With 1.07 billion colors, you have 10-bit processing, giving you 1024 "shades of gradation", which would likely eliminate some color banding. As far as skintones go, that is more of a calibration issue, in general, and wouldn't necessarily be helped by the additional bit depth.

-- Justin --

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-18-2006, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Well I'm not sure you will notice it, but I do think there are times when more is better.
post #4 of 7 Old 10-18-2006, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Ok. So I took the Samsung LN 3241D back to CC today and exchanged it for a new LG 32LC2DU. And u know what? I can tell a difference. The colors are MUCH more natural looking and really add depth to the picture. I'm very happy w/my decision to swap the sets. U know what else? Less ghosting and even a better OTA tuner. Before I could not get our local NBC HD channels to come in . But now? Yep you guessed it. It now comes in just fine. Before it wouldnt even show up at all. DVD's look pretty good even on my old XBOX. So far, a very happy customer! Thanks for your opinion guys!

XBL Gamer Tag : RocketKnight73 / xFRiT0 BANDiT0x
Fanboys = 30 year old men still living in their parents basements..Or dudes that have ZERO chance of gettin' some...
post #5 of 7 Old 10-19-2006, 01:29 AM

Color specs aside, I totally agree with you rocket. I was comparing the Samsung to the LG awhile back to and while the Samsung had better blacks and some colors like red and blue were slightly more vivid, everything just seemed a little to exaggerated on it. While on the other hand the LG seemed very natural and true to life in comparison.
It's like Samsung is trying to make their picture look better than real life, but in actuality they are just creating an image that seems very artificial.

So commendments on your choice, I think you made a good one.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-19-2006, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Hmm, I read from Samsung that with DNIe, you could have 3 billion color spectrum, but that may be just a way for Sammy to make a quick buck, if you ask me.

AVS Forum...The Final Frontier. My continuing mission. To explore strange, new equipment, to seek out new movies and technology. Boldly going where no enthusiast had gone before.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-02-2006, 02:16 PM

The LG32LC2DU is solid, easily the best 32 inch out there right njow.
Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page