LG Electronics WARNING - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 10-21-2006, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just in case someone is considering purchasing a new television I wanted to let everyone know how well LG Electronics take care of their customers. I purchased a 40" Zenith HD projection t.v. on 12-09-2005 which is still under the twelve month parts and labor warranty. The last week of August 06 I noticed a red flare in the bottom left of the screen. I contacted the store that I purchased the set from and they contacted the service center they used for LG warranty repair work. They were told that they were no longer authorized by LG for warranty work. I then called LG on Aug.30 and was told they would find service for me and someone would be contacting me. To make a long story short, after numerous phone calls to LG, and being assured they were working on the issue, I am now at day FIFTY THREE DAYS since I requested service directly to LG. Luckily I have been able to watch the tv although the red flare is pretty irritating, I can not imagine how upset and mistreated someone would feel if their tv went completley out and had to wait two months or longer without a tv waiting for service. Since this is still on going I will update how this comes out, but I have dealt with numerous computer and electronic companies in my life but nobody holds a candle to LG on how uncaring they are to their customers.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 10-21-2006, 06:03 AM
adb
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Not a very good recommendation for LG. Sorry about your troubles.
post #3 of 22 Old 10-21-2006, 06:27 AM

mikesd, i hear you!, my zenith 50 " plasma that i purchased at best buy on jan. 16that went bad on oct. 4th, (made by lg) they could not find anyone to come service the set in home so they offered to have me exchange it at bb, finally after 16 days (i feel pretty lucky now that i see your situation) i exchanged it yesterday, they no longer carry zenith (thank god), so i swapped it out for a 55" sony lcos rptv, they had a lg 50" plasma also, but you know what they say, screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me! keep calling and ask for a supervisor, call everyday. good luck! pajer
post #4 of 22 Old 10-21-2006, 07:13 AM

see im sure at the store there was an extended warranty so you wouldnt have to deal with manufactures crap. I mean its 2000 of unproven technology. It just seems like a smart decision
post #5 of 22 Old 10-21-2006, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbean8510
see im sure at the store there was an extended warranty so you wouldnt have to deal with manufactures crap. I mean its 2000 of unproven technology. It just seems like a smart decision
LMFAO.......Oh so not to deal with a manufacturer when its under the ORIGINAL warranty period someones supposed to pay hundreds of dollars extra for an extended warranty?????? Especiallly when extended warranties have proven to be a useless waste of money. NO a SMART decision is to keep the extra money in YOUR pocket. :rolleyes:

OH and BTW I believe the extended warranty only kicks in after the manufacturers warranty expires. So he would still be SOL and have to deal with LG. And still have wasted hundreds on the extended warranty.
post #6 of 22 Old 10-21-2006, 07:57 AM

Quote:

And I just read a thread this person started and he works at CC and claims he's not dumb.....so theres the reason to post a moronic thing like "you should have bought an extended warranty" :rolleyes:
post #7 of 22 Old 10-21-2006, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajer
but you know what they say, screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me!
I thought "they" said: Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me... :p

-- Justin --

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 22 Old 10-21-2006, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I mean its 2000 of unproven technology.
What technology are you referring to that's "unproven"? :confused:

-- Justin --

post #9 of 22 Old 10-21-2006, 11:07 AM

oh and if you follow jbeans advice you should also have invested heavily into Monster cables to hook all your equipment up
post #10 of 22 Old 10-21-2006, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys, and yes an extended warranty has nothing to do with whether a company is willing to offer great service to their customers. A company is only as good as the service they are willing to offer to their customers. I feel in my case "poor" has been totally redefined by LG. Actually it would be nice if someone there would just act like they cared that I am having a problem! Pajer, congrats on the new Sony, and I have made my daily call to a supervisor today.

post #11 of 22 Old 10-21-2006, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipp01
LMFAO.......Oh so not to deal with a manufacturer when its under the ORIGINAL warranty period someones supposed to pay hundreds of dollars extra for an extended warranty?????? Especiallly when extended warranties have proven to be a useless waste of money. NO a SMART decision is to keep the extra money in YOUR pocket. :rolleyes:

OH and BTW I believe the extended warranty only kicks in after the manufacturers warranty expires. So he would still be SOL and have to deal with LG. And still have wasted hundreds on the extended warranty.
I do know that the extended warranty offered by BB is a superset of the factory one year warranty. In other words, you deal with BB from the get go. And I'm not sure that the extended warranty is necessarily a waste of money. It is just a way of limiting any out-of-pocket repair expenses to the cost of the extended coverage, since any repair will likely cost more than the warranty cost.

It's just a question on how you view the risks.

BTW, I also had a Zenith plasma that puked and died and had to deal with LG. Took me about six weeks. What a total pain. Near the end of the ordeal, I actually started to drag my feet because I knew that the Zenith was soon to be discontinued. I ended up getting one of the very first Panasonic 50px60u's, which I love (platonically).

But I did get two Zenith rebate checks on the original set, which I got to keep :D
post #12 of 22 Old 10-21-2006, 01:45 PM

Well just as Pajer mentioned, i am to a victim of a failes Zenith 50" plasma. I did by the extended warranty from BB and they provided superb service, in home to. even thought the tv was only 9 month old, it was still an LG. I just got back from BB, exchanged the puked zenith for a Samsung, couldn't resist as they did an even price swap and beleive me i did get a killer deal on the Zenith after price match and rebate. needless to say, i got the samsum for clost to a grand less than selling price. and the xtended warranty was transfered over. I almost got the panny 60U but the wife did like all the big silver around it. with price match and return security for 30 days, i still have the option to go to the panny maybe even the pioneer. but for the price can't beat it.

elfedz
post #13 of 22 Old 10-21-2006, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again for your comments everyone, I just found out that LG Electronics used to be Goldstar Electronics, which I believe was the ultra cheap equipment that was sold by Wallyworld a few years ago. This info does not make me feel much better about my purchase.

post #14 of 22 Old 10-21-2006, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesd
Thanks again for your comments everyone, I just found out that LG Electronics used to be Goldstar Electronics, which I believe was the ultra cheap equipment that was sold by Wallyworld a few years ago. This info does not make me feel much better about my purchase.
I hope this doesn't mean that my new LG phone is going to crap out on me too =)

Ironically, the "L" stands for Lucky, another brand in Korea. I guess you need some luck when purchasing Lucky-Goldstar products.
post #15 of 22 Old 10-22-2006, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
To make a long story short, after numerous phone calls to LG, and being assured they were working on the issue, I am now at day FIFTY THREE DAYS since I requested service directly to LG. Mike
Although I'm sorry about your situation - I can top this. Slightly off topic I purchased an LG refrigerator, unfortunately it was during a kitchen remodel I didn't plug it in until 40 days after it arrived. Best Buy wouldn't touch it after 30 days. The service guy who missed two appointments before arriving about a week after the original call was sorry to inform me that the main evaporating coil had broken - and there replacement protocals were such that it would take two months to secure a new refrig. Well at least he was honest about a long delay, unfortunately their processes actually took four months to the day of their service call. Now this was for a refrigerator - not a non essential appliance like a TV :).
Anyways at least my old refrig was still on hand and it didn't cost me anything. But my home is LG free - and will stay that way. Good luck, but I'm afraid your count up of days is bound to continue.

post #16 of 22 Old 10-22-2006, 09:56 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 477
I have seen many posts on various AVS Forums from owners of defective top name brands like Sony, Panasonic, Hitachi, Toshiba, and Sharp etc all with very similar stories of being yanked around and screwed over and completely unacceptable customer service, so it's not just LG. This can happen with practically any brand name plasma or LCD manufacturer.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

Gallery -
post #17 of 22 Old 10-22-2006, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters
I have seen many posts on various AVS Forums from owners of defective top name brands like Sony, Panasonic, Hitachi, Toshiba, and Sharp etc all with very similar stories of being yanked around and screwed over and completely unacceptable customer service, so it's not just LG. This can happen with practically any brand name plasma or LCD manufacturer.
I second that! How long did it take for Sony to finally admit that they did have a laptop battery problem...
post #18 of 22 Old 10-31-2006, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Well a service tech. has been here twice, both times he brought a new convergance board with him. Neither fixed the problem and in fact with both boards he could not even adjust the convergance so both times he had to reinstall the old board. When he left the last time he said he needed to get the service manual from the company and maybe he could adjust the convergance on the new board from the manual. If there is any doubt what a B.S. company LG is, I spoke to him today and he told me he has requested the manual from the company five times and it still has not been sent to him. Oh Yea, I found out LG's policy is they have sixty days to get a service man out on a problem and then another sixty days from the day the repair man arrives to get the problem fixed. So LG gives themselves four months to fix a problem!!!

post #19 of 22 Old 11-01-2006, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters
I agree completely. Can we agree that Customer Service from just about EVERYBODY just plain SUCKS ???

I'm tired of reading about how it's just Philips or RCA or some other manufacturer that the videophiles and experts diss on.
post #20 of 22 Old 11-01-2006, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If there is any doubt what a B.S. company LG is, I spoke to him today and he told me he has requested the manual from the company five times and it still has not been sent to him.
Authorized service centers should have immediate access to service manuals via the web.

Quote:
Oh Yea, I found out LG's policy is they have sixty days to get a service man out on a problem and then another sixty days from the day the repair man arrives to get the problem fixed. So LG gives themselves four months to fix a problem!!!
This does not sound right. In my experience, it is more like the service center gets a call from LG to see what the delay is if they have not sent a service technician out within 7 days.

Robert

post #21 of 22 Old 11-01-2006, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Since manufacturers’ warranties are generally not that long ... I usually get extra warranties on big ticket items.

And if I have a serious problem with it while it is still under the manufacturers warranty … I still take it back to the store for a replacement.

Let them deal with the manufacturer. I’ve had nothing but problems getting serviced by almost every manufacturer I’ve dealt with.

(To each his own obviously)
post #22 of 22 Old 11-01-2006, 09:30 PM

Quote:

Before you throw out a completely unsupported theory against a real life experience you should check your sources. I've had a similar experience to Pajer where the extended warranty has come out to be quite useful. The warranty does protect you even while there is a manufacturer's warranty still in progress.

In my case, my Westinghouse LVM37W3 wasn't able to decode HDMI audio correctly and I was able to choose another television from Best Buy's lineup with the full amount I paid for the Westinghouse applied towards a Sharp LC-46D62 instead of having to deal with the crappy Westinghouse support. Rather than having to ship out (at my cost) the television from Westinghouse I get a brand new television. I could've chosen the 42" Sharp with no price difference.. and in that case, it would've been a free upgrade. So YOU should think twice before neglecting an extended warranty.

PS.. Sorry to go a bit off topic.
Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page