Where did Vizio Come From and Why are the so Cheap? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 34 Old 10-23-2006, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone have the low-down on Vizio televisions? I'm in the market for a 42 or greater LCD HD. I have a 26 in Sharp Aquos that I'm pleased with but as I look around I see the Vizios are about 1/3 less than any other HDTV. Consumer Reports didn't rate them and CNET and other places didn't give me a good
idea.

I apologize if this has been covered before but I can't seem to find much information. If I'm going to spend $1500 or more, I want to know I'm getting a quality product.

Any recommendation or opinions are appreciated.

Thanks

McGinty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 10-23-2006, 08:53 AM

From some of the online articles I've read (google "Vizio plasmas" or just "Vizio"), they're based in California and are a relatively small company that does all of their support in-house.
They purchase their glass panels in S. Korea/Taiwan which are also used on brand-name sets, like Panasonic, LG, etc.

Many online reviewers love their picture and I personally seem them at Costco many times and they are up there with the Pioneers and Panasonics on display.

I am deadset on the 50" Vizio, btw. ;)
post #3 of 34 Old 10-23-2006, 09:10 AM

I too had been reading very good things about Vizio's 50" and I was ready to hop on board - especially at that price point.

However, I of course wanted to see it in person, so I went to CC to take a look. It just so happened that the Vizio was right next to the Panny 60U on the top row of the plasma display.

That immediately turned me off of the Vizio. The first time I went it, they were on SD feeds. The Vizio just didn't cut it compared to ANY of the other 50" plasmas they had on display (I figure that if the factory settings are that far off, they might be sub-par even with changes made). The next time I went in to try and see it on an HD feed - it was on an HD feed, but still didn't compare. Even on HD it looked blurry to me - it was not sharp at all.

Could have been a bad unit, but it definitely turned me off of the Vizio - even at that price.

I'm still up in the air about which one I will get. I went ahead and bought the Panny 600U (mainly because the store I bought from has a 30-day, no questions asked, return/refund/exchange policy). I love the PQ, but am considering returning it for either the 60U (if my wife will change her mind on the silver bezel) or the Samsung 5053, as I don't need the extra features that the 600U offers.

I was hoping for a better PQ from the Vizio since I had read several reviews that said that it was actually very good, and that it was typically regarded as a "best buy" for size and price. However, my two eyes told me a different story. Of course, it could be different for others.
post #4 of 34 Old 10-23-2006, 09:45 AM

Well all I can say is that "your eyes were looking at a bad setup" I started with the Vizio 42" HD model and then "upgraded to the 50"" I think my picture is great, couldn't ask for a nicer one at this price point. It's also really good with the Toshiba HD A-1 DVD player. JMO

John Boy
post #5 of 34 Old 10-23-2006, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carioca_FL
Many online reviewers love their picture and I personally seem them at Costco many times and they are up there with the Pioneers and Panasonics on display.
Woah... Really? I've personally seen them myself and I don't think they are anywhere near the PQ of Pioneer or Panasonic. :confused:

-- Justin --

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 34 Old 10-23-2006, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Boy
Well all I can say is that "your eyes were looking at a bad setup" I started with the Vizio 42" HD model and then "upgraded to the 50"" I think my picture is great, couldn't ask for a nicer one at this price point. It's also really good with the Toshiba HD A-1 DVD player. JMO

Fair enough, and you're probably right.

I'm actually heading to a different CC later this evening, so I'll check it out and see if their's looks better.
post #7 of 34 Old 10-23-2006, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeTxn
Fair enough, and you're probably right.

I'm actually heading to a different CC later this evening, so I'll check it out and see if their's looks better.
Stick with the Panasonic, though... You've had a Panasonic for a few days and switching to a lesser set will really be noticeable. Ignorance is bliss, so if you started with the Vizio, you might love it, but stepping down from the Panasonic may really be apparent to your eyes.

-- Justin --

post #8 of 34 Old 10-23-2006, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, much like liking a Sammy and downgrading to a Syntax Olevia, that's another way to consider that fact.

AVS Forum...The Final Frontier. My continuing mission. To explore strange, new equipment, to seek out new movies and technology. Boldly going where no enthusiast had gone before.
post #9 of 34 Old 10-23-2006, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawatkin
Stick with the Panasonic, though... You've had a Panasonic for a few days and switching to a lesser set will really be noticeable. Ignorance is bliss, so if you started with the Vizio, you might love it, but stepping down from the Panasonic may really be apparent to your eyes.

You think I would notice a large PQ difference between the Panasonic 600U and the Sammy S5053 (enough to warrant about $600 more on the 600U)?
post #10 of 34 Old 10-23-2006, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

NativeTxn,

I think you were asking this same thing in another thread... I still can't honestly tell you. Like I said, i was choosing between the 60U and 5053 and the 60u won out for me. Others have chosen the Samsung and liked them. I can't speak for the PQ vs. price difference, sorry!

What I can tell you is that I've seen posts where almost all people who have bought a 5053 and returned it for the 60u have loved the decision, but most people who return a Panasonic for the Samsung regret their decision (but not all).

Since the primary reason you got the 600u was the WAF on the silver bezel of the 60u, you might want to ask your wife if the bezel color is really worth the X amount of dollars extra that you had to pay.. Then you wouldn't be sacrificing any PQ if you love what you are getting from the Panasonic! :rolleyes:

-- Justin --

post #11 of 34 Old 10-23-2006, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, what would you say about trading in a Westinghouse for a JVC?

AVS Forum...The Final Frontier. My continuing mission. To explore strange, new equipment, to seek out new movies and technology. Boldly going where no enthusiast had gone before.
post #12 of 34 Old 10-23-2006, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawatkin
NativeTxn,

What I can tell you is that I've seen posts where almost all people who have bought a 5053 and returned it for the 60u have loved the decision, but most people who return a Panasonic for the Samsung regret their decision (but not all).
Would you say that the same was true for the 42" models?
post #13 of 34 Old 10-23-2006, 11:44 AM

Here is the cut and dry, people will debate and debate and debate about which TV is the best. This is what you have to consider with the Vizio, understand that you get what you pay for. With that being said, I have seen the 50" Vizio on CC and I thought it looked great. That is my own opionion but the big factor is this... the price is very attractive, it does look good. There wouldnt be so many great reviews if the image was really that bad. The fact is, if you buy this display at CC you are backed by there stellar return policy. With that being said, I would give the Vizio a try if it is within your price range.

Jeremy
post #14 of 34 Old 10-23-2006, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

IMHO.....
When I see glowing reviews from respectable magazines about Vizio's picture quality and DCDi from faroudja on it......I tend to believe :
1. it must be really good
2. and, that this brand may be one of those value for money type things.

My 2 cents of course.

-Rajiv
post #15 of 34 Old 10-23-2006, 12:38 PM

Would it be fair to say that a Vizio 37-42" unit would make a nice bedroom tv as I won't be watching movies on it, I'll save that for my Optoma H78 DLP projector with 100" screen in my home theater. If the Vizio is a the best value (bang for the buck) then I can live without it being the best available monitor, if I can keep some dollars in my pocket.

Is this a reasonable perspective?
post #16 of 34 Old 10-23-2006, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdude
IMHO.....
When I see glowing reviews from respectable magazines about Vizio's picture quality and DCDi from faroudja on it......I tend to believe :
1. it must be really good
2. and, that this brand may be one of those value for money type things.

My 2 cents of course.
Glowing reviews from respectable magazines that accept payment for advertisement, of course. :rolleyes: Kia presumably has the safest minivan, and Hyundai claims to have the best warranty in the business. Why then do people still buy Hondas?

There is a niche for Vizio and Olevia sets. They are great entry level flatscreens entering the world of HD, and for the guy who doesn't stare at high end sets for months on end, they're fine upgrades from CRT's.

You know what they say about believing everything you read...

A man meets a genie. The genie tells him he can ask for whatever he wants, but his mother-in-law gets double of what he gets. The man says give me a million dollars and beat me till I'm half dead.
post #17 of 34 Old 10-23-2006, 06:40 PM

As advertised, I stopped by CC tonight (a different one than before). Sure enough, the Vizio did look a lot better than it appeared in the other store.

It was directly below the 60U and directly left of the S5053.

It looked good.

The Sammy had a darker, "richer" (for lack of a better word) picture color than the other two (though I know Pannys come out of the box in Vivid).

They were all receiving an ESPN HD feed leading up to the MNF game. The Panny had some "mosquito" noise around the edges of people on many of the shots. The Sammy was little tinted to the red side (as I have heard is somewhat the norm on them). The Vizio had a little bit of "mosquito" noise, though not as much as the Panny.

I would say that based on the in-store, poor feed, that the Vizio could give you a good quality pic (at least on HD), especially considering the price. Once everything was tweaked, I don't know if it would stack up to the Panny and the Sammy - could be better than both, worse than both, or right in the middle.

In conclusion, I definitely saw more of what people were talking about on the PQ as compared to my first experience viewing them in-store.
post #18 of 34 Old 10-23-2006, 08:25 PM

I bought a 32" vizio yesterday to replace an old 36" CRT tv. It is a great buy for the $$, but if you are using it as your primary HDTV I would recommend spending the extra $$ for different LCD. It is nice, but the quality doesn't even come close to my old Hitachi 51F500 RP tv. Still, the HD picture quality is more than acceptable and if I didn't have the other TV to compare it with I would be quite satisfied. On a side note, before I bought my Vizio I had to convince my wife. She wasn't impressed with the picture at all, but it only took a about a minute to adjust the setting in user mode (instead of the preset vivid modes) and the picture was greatly improved. it was still slightly more washed out than the more expensive units it was next too, but not enough to justify the extra $400. Especially when you consider that this is mainly a cartoon watching, video game playing purchase. Movies are still way better on my Hitachi RPTV.

All in all i'm quite pleased with my new vizio 32" lcd. I regained quite a bit of space in our family room ( the 36" CRT was HUGE and HEAVY) and the kids love it. As an added benefit I now have 2 dual tuner HDTV cable boxes so I can watch/record 4x more TV than there are hours in a day. :):) I can now watch football and nascar 4 days a week.
post #19 of 34 Old 10-23-2006, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, where would you rank the Vizio 32" from a Westinghouse 32", which is a higher-end budget brand/model?

post #20 of 34 Old 10-23-2006, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8IronBob
Well, where would you rank the Vizio 32" from a Westinghouse 32", which is a higher-end budget brand/model?
the 37" Vizio was pretty poor imho, it had the worst SD out of any TV I have ever seen, HD was good on the other hand was pretty good.

The 42" on the other hand is a different story, IMHO a excellent TV & on par with the other high end brand TV's I had.
Sadly I got one with uneven backlighting & will eventually return it
post #21 of 34 Old 10-25-2006, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm looking at getting a 32" LCD set for the bedroom and want a Sony set, but keep going back to the Vizio because of price. You can almost buy two Vizio's for the price of the one Sony.

My main set is a Sony 34XBR800 CRT that has awesome PQ.

The bedroom set does not have to match the 34XBR, but I'm really not sure what to do.

On a side not, my understanding is that the Vizio founders were the same guys that founded Princeton computer monitors.
post #22 of 34 Old 11-03-2006, 12:13 PM

does anyone know where you can get the 42" vizio plasma other than costco?
post #23 of 34 Old 11-03-2006, 12:16 PM

It's kind of the same thing, but my local Sam's Club has them. CC only carries the 50" that I've seen.
post #24 of 34 Old 11-14-2006, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Rec'd to my in-laws to get the Vizio from TigerDirect dot com... refurbished unit there for insanely low price. It's right in their budget, since spending more than $2400 is too much, but cutting a thousand off that is do-able. The Vizio is a nice entry-level plasma.

Doc

post #25 of 34 Old 11-14-2006, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGinty
Anyone have the low-down on Vizio televisions? I'm in the market for a 42 or greater LCD HD. I have a 26 in Sharp Aquos that I'm pleased with but as I look around I see the Vizios are about 1/3 less than any other HDTV. Consumer Reports didn't rate them and CNET and other places didn't give me a good
idea.

I apologize if this has been covered before but I can't seem to find much information. If I'm going to spend $1500 or more, I want to know I'm getting a quality product.

Any recommendation or opinions are appreciated.

Thanks

McGinty
They are a product of Amtran Technology Co. Inc. Taiwan Company. They distribute LCD products world wide. You can Google them and get more info.

Just a little clarification. Visio is Amtran Technology Co, Inc own brand name. They do also produce panels for other brand names. Good luck. Let us know what you decide to do.
post #26 of 34 Old 11-14-2006, 01:11 PM

Last time I looked in my basement my Vizio wasn't sitting next to a Panny, or a Toshiba or a Phillips or a ...... The 42"PDP provides incredible value at the price point it is meant to serve. When I ask my kids (or friends stopping by) whether or not they think the skin tones are natural the look at me in disbelief, the reality of it is Spongebob, NCAA07, DVDs and HD-source materials look spectacular.

There is too much analysis paralysis in these threads. You like the set, you can afford the price, buy it. You will never go home and do side by sides, you will go home and watch the set. Even with two other HD sets in the house I don't
bother trying to compare and contrast the tvs. My advice is don't let brand snobs persuade you in either direction, follow your own instincts and you will never have buyers remorse.
post #27 of 34 Old 11-14-2006, 02:08 PM

People should also talk about the build quality of the Vizio. Many have had them and returned them due to them not lasting too long (usually the power boards). I returned mine for a Panny.
post #28 of 34 Old 11-14-2006, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Do yourself a favor and read through the extensive Vizio thread in this forum. It's long, but you'll find lots of issues discussed, especially on problems that seem to occur some time after purchase. These issues are not universal; some people continue to be very pleased with their Vizio. But after a lot of thought, I passed on the Vizio and bought a Panasonic. Just seemed less risky to me.
post #29 of 34 Old 11-30-2006, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I bought the Vizio VX32L last Sunday and so far have been very pleased with it. This set replaced a 20" Sony standard def set in the bedroom and is connected up to a Directv H20 HD receiver.

I adjusted the picture using Digital Video Essentials and the HD PQ is excellent. SD PQ is good and improved upon the previous model of this set.

What's interesting is that this TV differs from alot of sets out there that have standard "red push". This set has "green push". I'm assuming that if this was deliberately done it was to make football fields look greener. It's easily adjusted though.

All that being said, I fully expected the Vizio to have a lesser PQ than say Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic, etc. when I bought. I would say the PQ is not as good as these name-brand models, but the 32" is nearly half the price of the 32" Sony at Costco.

I think the Vizio sets can serve as your "main" set and for all intensive purposes you would be happy with it, but if you are extremely picky or a real videophile, more than likely you would want to opt for a name-brand TV and spend the extra bucks.

As long as the set is reliable and lasts, I am extremely pleased with the Vizio in my bedroom.
post #30 of 34 Old 12-03-2006, 10:26 PM

i have both the panasonic 42px60U and the Vizio GV46L, although the difference I am seeing is due in part to the Plasma vs LCD and the different resolution, 1024x768 for the panny, and 1366x768 for the vizio, I can say from my perspective the Vizio's PQ is definitely more sharp and clear, esp on channels with 1080im ie cbs.

after having the panny for a week and the vizio for 2 months, i am hard press to return the vizio, better HD PQ, PIP for HTPC, VGA input which makes computing resolution 100% better, AND A BETTER QAM TUNER.

with the panny, the QAM turner only get ABC and CW from the same source, with the vizio,I get CBS, NBC, FOX, CW, KCET, just to name a few. my brother has the panny too and same problem with the QAM TURNER. but it does have better SD PQ for which a majority of the programming is in SD.

thats just my 2 cents
Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page