Not worth repairing? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 12-04-2006, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Toshiba TheaterWide HD Plasma about 3 years old (out of warranty) model # 50HP82. One day, a black vertical line appeared on the screen (as seen in picture below) and is here to stay. Trying to find out info on what could be the problem, and if it's going to be worth repairing.

If anyone has any experience similar to this or expertise please share!

TIA

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/3710/50plasmagf6.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-04-2006, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

ttt
post #3 of 13 Old 12-04-2006, 10:15 AM

I would chalk it up to bad luck and just ebay it. But lucky for you, you now get to go plasma shopping for Christmas.

Of course, make sure to post it on ebay 'as-is' with pictures of the problem, no-reserve, and just see what you get for it.
post #4 of 13 Old 12-04-2006, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

That seems discouraging to me. $99 for broken 50" plasma:

http://cgi.*********/Panasonic-TH-50...QQcmdZViewItem
post #5 of 13 Old 12-04-2006, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorz
That seems discouraging to me. $99 for broken 50" plasma:

http://cgi.*********/Panasonic-TH-50...QQcmdZViewItem
Did you search the archives, or do a general web search for other owners reports.

Did you buy it new or as a refurb. I have some recollection of this model being a HD Monitor and was originally carrying MSRP of close to 10K.

Does it show the black line on just the gamebox or is it always there, even on off the air reception.

You might want to post your problem on the various Toshiba Plasma threads on here, and that way you might attract the attention of some readers who have more information about the problem, or at least put the full Toshiba name and model, in addition to " Not worth repairing" on the title of this thread. It is so vague a title now, that many Toshiba Plasma owners may not even read your inquiry. Good Luck. :)
post #6 of 13 Old 12-04-2006, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland
Did you search the archives, or do a general web search for other owners reports.

Did you buy it new or as a refurb. I have some recollection of this model being a HD Monitor and was originally carrying MSRP of close to 10K.

Does it show the black line on just the gamebox or is it always there, even on off the air reception.

You might want to post your problem on the various Toshiba Plasma threads on here, and that way you might attract the attention of some readers who have more information about the problem, or at least put the full Toshiba name and model, in addition to " Not worth repairing" on the title of this thread. It is so vague a title now, that many Toshiba Plasma owners may not even read your inquiry. Good Luck. :)
Good questions! It was new when purchased, ~$8500 (from a big sale original price 12k). i didn't see an option on the advanced search for the archived threads, but I'll check again. I was wondering why it showed only 1 thread for this model :)

The black line shows up anytime, using any input on any device not just the xbox360.

Thanks for the tips!
post #7 of 13 Old 12-04-2006, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

I apologize for my ignorance, but I just double checked the 'advanced search' function and there aren't any options to search the archives.

I also searched for "Toshiba Plasma" in the search box, which just resulted with an over-abundance of non-related threads. :(
post #8 of 13 Old 12-04-2006, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorz
I apologize for my ignorance, but I just double checked the 'advanced search' function and there aren't any options to search the archives.

I also searched for "Toshiba Plasma" in the search box, which just resulted with an over-abundance of non-related threads. :(
I doubt if you will find many threads in the Archives on your particular model. Since you paid such a high price for the panel, I can understand why you would like to find a reasonable way to have it fixed, and extend the life span. Do change the title of of this thread. Spell out The Toshiba Plasma, and problem. You are not going to attract many readers with your current non-specific bait. Change the thread title. Also have you done a search of Toshiba online, troubleshooting and service contacts, to see if they have already established what the problem might be, and how much it would cost to have it repaired. Good Luck :)

OK: I did a search of the archives. Faster for me to do, than trying to walk you through the steps.
Not much there. Just one person asking about the model and two or three responses. Nothing about your problem. Since your model was very expensive and probably only purchased by a small cadre of earlier adopters, their is probably not very many people out there who have experienced your problem. One thing that might help: One poster said that your particular model was actually a rebadged NEC panel. They were not sure if it had Toshiba components or NEC ones. I think that NEC is now owned by Pioneer. Not sure about that. Just some recollection of having read it somewhere. Regardless. Contact Toshiba, by phone, not be email. Get as much details as you can about your model. See if you can find out from them if they have a service center that will give you a evaluation on what the problem is and what it would cost to repair. That is the only way you will be able to find out if you can afford to have it fixed. Good Luck. :)
post #9 of 13 Old 12-04-2006, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Call Toshiba, complain and compain until they either fix it for you or send out another. This shouldn't happen on an $10k+ TV. Them fixing it or replacing it is not out of the question. I've had companies do this before. I'd bet that they will just send out a new replacement model as they are so much cheaper now.

"PLEASE HELP STOP HDTV ABUSE! FEED YOUR HDTV AN HD SIGNAL!"
post #10 of 13 Old 12-04-2006, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your input. I'll try both routes.
post #11 of 13 Old 12-05-2006, 02:01 PM

http://www.hi-upload.com/upload/uploaded2/DSC04554.JPG

i too have the same thing, but atlease mine is top left.. ...
what to do what to do?

keep me in the loop of what you do and what toshiba says. .. thank you
post #12 of 13 Old 12-05-2006, 02:39 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniz
Call Toshiba, complain and compain until they either fix it for you or send out another. This shouldn't happen on an $10k+ TV. Them fixing it or replacing it is not out of the question. I've had companies do this before. I'd bet that they will just send out a new replacement model as they are so much cheaper now.
I seriously doubt Toshiba would be willing to repair an old TV that's far out of warranty at no charge, much less give the guy a brand new Plasma at no charge.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #13 of 13 Old 12-05-2006, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

That looks like a bad driver board. It is a repairable problem as long as the part is available. (Toshiba is bad with PC boards that are not commonly replaced. I have seen boards on order for many months in some cases.) The Ebay auction you reference is a plasma with a cracked panel - it is worthless except for the boards for parts.

Robert
Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page