AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

LCD or Plasma? Plasma or LCD? and why those Black Bars? Discuss it here only Please

484K views 1K replies 627 participants last post by  markrubin 
#1 ·
LCD Vs Plasma Flat Panels: and why do I see those black bars?

the eternal discussion: please limit these discussions to this sticky thread only

See less See more
#328 ·
#329 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario888 /forum/post/0

Unless you plan to use your Tv as a computer screen I would go with Plasma. The picture is more life like, they now have anti glare coating and they don't suffer from motion blur.

"For sports lovers, a plasma screen is the ideal choice due to its fast motion response.

If you're watching a racing car zooming around the track, or a tennis ball flying through the air, it will be crisp and clear with no blur on a Plasma," said Paul Reid, Director, Consumer Electronics Group, Panasonic.

I would now disagree with Mario888 since Sony is introducing their new 52XBR/4 with 120hz, basically rendering the motion a "non-factor" when is comes to moving objects.

#332 ·
Hi, sorry in advance if this was covered, but I didnt have time to read 12 pages of posts to see if it has been covered, and I have a limited amount of time.

I stopped reading around page 4 and all I seen going back and forth was Plasma burn-in this, and LCD black level that.

I have had two HD TV's home. First was an LG 42'' Plasma which I loved SOOOOOOOO very much, BUT!!!, when I played my Nintendo Wii on it, it had very anoying lag between when I pressed a button and when the TV showed the responce. It was only a fraction of a second, maybe a half at most, but it was enough for me to say Its going back.

Someone I knew who has an LG 42" LCD said they had no issue with game Lag So I exchanged my plasma for an LCD. Well that too has game lag. The same amount of game lag actually.

Now that I have this LCD home, I am very dissipointed with the picture quality. It does look great, yes, but not as good as the plasma. Dim areas of a show have real bad artifacting when trying to create shadows. I cant remember because I didnt have the plasma very long, but I dont recall the plasma doing this. I do remember the feeling of wow while looking at the plasma and the feeling of blah when viewing the LCD.

Anyways. My LCD will be going back to the store now too because its got a problem with wanting to turn itself on at night. Have taken the batteries out of the remote and still turns on. Ill wake up in the middle of the night with the TV turned on, try to turn it off, and it turns on again in a few minutes.

So that being said, I want to go back to a plasma because I loved it so much, and I dont care about Burn-in (wont be an issue with me, I dont play many games and dont have kids), so anyone know of a good brand that doesnt not have Game lag?

LG is right out, and I dont know if Sharp makes a Plasma and I want to stick with 42" and max $2000 ish range.

#334 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost147 /forum/post/0

Plasma - the only way to go IF you're not a gamer!

Jesus, games burn in as easily as a tv image. Watch sportscenter. YOu got one still images on the right side and a moving scroll. Let me quess you think polygons make the game burn in. I play games on my 5 day old plasma, and oh my god, I have no burn in. Did you ever burn in a Crt? If you did not how are you going to burn in a plasma?

#337 ·
I'm having a hard time choosing plasma or lcd...headache...

What I have in my mind are Samsung's HP-T5054 plasma ($1750 and it has anti burn-in tech) and Sharp's LC46D62U LCD ($1950). They both looked nice but I'm kinna more toward Samsung's because of more bigger size, pc input, more settings and cheaper. 1080p isn't important to me since I don't have HD and don't plan on getting HD anytime soon.

If watching SD, PS2 gaming, and PC gaming (sometime), which one is better plasma or lcd? I'm not a big gamer but the new tv will be using for watching SD a few hours a day. Glare is not a problem.

I don't know if burn-in still an issue with plasma nowaday and I heard that lcd get image persistence (like burn-in but generally temporary I think). The Samsung's has anit burn-in, would it help at all?

Thanks,

#338 ·
Quick Plasma question for anyone, since I am getting close to buying a new TV for my bedroom.

Does the fading over time issue bother anyone? I mean is a Plasma TV constantly dimming...however minimally?

#341 ·
I have looked at dlp lcd and plasma....I are confused LOL

plasma, a lot of people say they get hot...true ?

The unit will be on a LOT in a fairly bright room....lcd or plasma for this environment.

Lots of people saying olevia and visio while others are only going with mainstream units from mits and sony.....comments on these lower units are appreciated.

I am worried about the lower units when/if it has to be worked on.

the biggest problem I am worried about is the picture. A LOT of what I watch is std directv and older DVD movies in 4:3 format.

What can I expect?

thanks for any info on these things I have come close twice on buying a DLP 50 in samsung, then I saw the best pic LCD I had ever seen right next to it and no way,

I need to look at LCD.

of course you give up some size the lcd was a 42 and cost more...I would like to go at least 45 so that the pic height is the same as my little 32in I have now.

#344 ·
Any new Plasma does not have any burn in.

They have image retention sure.

Example, you leave the Menu Screen on for 5 minutes, then you hit play, when the screen goes black you can still see the outline of the menu screen. BUT IT GOES AWAY IN JUST A MINUTE WITH NORMAL VIEWING.

As for actual image Burn In, NO.

Almost all manufactuer's now torture test there Plasmas with static images for 48+ Hours.

And guess what, after a few minutes of normal viewing, the image retention still goes away!!!!!!!!!!

This is not 2002 people, its 2007, 5 years of refinement has made Plasmas Burn In Proof.

#345 ·
Friend is trying to help me and made it worse

ok he said the reason he purchased a Samsung was that even though it cost $700 more than the unit I was looking at (ok his is bigger LOL) he got it because unlike the visio each input retained its resolution and settings...with cheaper tv's the unit is set to 1080p or whatever you set it at and all the inputs are at that resolution until you set the unit to whatever you want.

So what he is saying is the tv is set to a resolution and all inputs are that resolution on cheaper models and the high ends allow independent settings on each input???

True?

#346 ·
I'm still trying to decide between LCoS, LCD and Plasma.

I'm looking for 50-60" and the TV will be going in a room that has lots of light. I do most of my TV watching at night, but I usually have the lights on anyway. Sports viewing is the most important factor for me. I also play xbox 360. I don't watch tons of movies.

I was looking around Best Buy and here were my thoughts:

Plasma: I liked the picture the best but I'm worried about the glare factor. I don't really have a glare problem with my CRT though. Does that mean it won't be a problem with the plasma?

LCD: I thought the Sony XBR2 was as good as the least the mid-level plasmas and close to the better ones. If I go LCD I'll probably get that one and that was the way I was leaning after Best Buy. I previously was concerned with response/refresh time, a different time I went to Best Buy all the LCDs looked horrible on fast-moving scenes with tons of macro-blocking, but this time it didn't look any worse than the projections which I understand . I heard XBR4 and 5 will be coming out in August. Do you know if they are supposed to be much better?

LCoS: The Sony A2020 looked like crap in the store. On the RPTV thread they said RPs just require more calibration than flat panels so they look worse in the store but not in real life. Is that true? The newer top-of-the-line Sony RP looked very good. The RPs generally looked grainy to me. i don't know if it was the texture of the screen or video noise.

I'm not really an expert so any advice you can give would be a big help. Thanks.

#347 ·
If you're leaning towards plasma but are concerned about reflection, there's one possible solution for you, provided you plan on wall mounting. If yes, then you might be able to reduce any severe reflection issues by employing a downwards tilt mount, which could eliminate most/all reflection coming from windows and lamps, as the plasma would be slightly angled down towards the floor.

If you have a decent size mirror handy, you can do an experiment of placing it on the wall where the plasma would go, and ideally with one or two people to help, you can then observe any reflection resulting from the downward tilt of the mirror. As one or two people are holding the angled mirror in place, you can place yourself in your various seating positions and observe what you see. If no windows or lights are visible, then there should be little problem with reflection.

Of course, there could still be some non-light generating reflection, like furniture, rugs, your ugly mug
, etc, but it will be limited to only very dark scenes on screen. You have to decide how much even that limited amount of reflection still bugs you. Some don't mind it, others might still find it very irritating. different reflectivity strokes for diff.. well, you know.

#348 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonavs /forum/post/0

Plasma: I liked the picture the best but I'm worried about the glare factor. I don't really have a glare problem with my CRT though. Does that mean it won't be a problem with the plasma?

if it's not bothersome with your crt, then I don't see how it could be with plasma. If anything, the reflective-minimizing coatings of modern plasmas help improve the glare problem over what crts of old could do. Not a dramatic difference, mind you, but a little better than crt. One particular new Panasonic plasma model (I mix up model #'s, so I can't give that to you) is the best for minimizing reflection, plus, the latest 8th genearation of Pioneer is said to be better than most plasmas due to their advanced new screen filter. Those are just starting to come out.

#349 ·
I am in the market for a new tv and have narrowed my choices to the Sammy FPT 5084 and the Sammy LNT 5265F. If anyone can give me some opinions or suggestions on which one of the Sammy's is better the plasma or the LCD please let me know. Price is not an issue here just PQ and the best bet for HD content and gaming.

#350 ·
If a long term perspective helps, my Pioneer 503MXE is just over 5 years old now.

It has had the orbital mode running since new in an effort to reduce burn-in and for nearly 4 years it has been fine.

Over the last year or so though the effects of the channel ID logo from one or two of the kids channels has become more noticeable, the main culprit has been 'Trouble'

The problem is only really noticeable when the screen has got hot and it displays as a green fuzzy patch where the logo would be. The orbital mode has ensured it is not a sharp area of colour but it is disturbing all the same.

It is more like an area of the screen that is over sensitive and so is most noticeable when there is any channel ID there as the green mist will be stimulated.

Movies of course do not usually show any problems unless the top right of the screen has a lof of activity which isn't often.

Games have been played extensively over its life with no ill effects at all so personally I'd not worry about games in the slightest, it is the channel ID that I'd worry about and most of those are not much of an issue either, just that one from 'Trouble' really.

#351 ·
I do all of my watching in a fully darkened room, at a distance of 5'. I am thinking of moving up to a 42". Do the viewing distance and lack of ambient light effect my choice of LCD or plasma? Also, most of what I watch is standard DVD (not HD or Blu Ray), is this a factor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.