LCD or Plasma? Plasma or LCD? and why those Black Bars? Discuss it here only Please - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #811 of 1451 Old 01-24-2009, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrox View Post

LG, Samsung, Pioneer have stated so publicly and in patents. Panasonic AFAIK has not. They will all find ways around Pioneer's patents on driving method and cell structure.

Panasonic has to get rid of the real black drive system method IMO as it can never achieve total black.

I know that the tech is there, but is it ready for mass production? The Samsung future of PDP marketing material (today-2010) pdf mentions minimal reset pulse, Neo PDP eco/w "KURO tech" is also using a reset pulse. Pioneer will be out of panel manufacturing business by March and I'm not expecting miracles from LG.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1451 Old 01-24-2009, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpbandaid View Post

I know that the tech is there, but is it ready for mass production? The Samsung future of PDP marketing material (today-2010) pdf mentions minimal reset pulse, Neo PDP eco/w "KURO tech" is also using a reset pulse. Pioneer will be out of panel manufacturing business by March and I'm not expecting miracles from LG.

Making it stable with no misfires is the issue as far as I've read. Is there a possibility it never reaches market, yes. However, Pioneer has already patented solutions to the stability issue so we'll have to wait and see.

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind
post #813 of 1451 Old 01-25-2009, 04:49 PM

Hello
I've been reading posts, and reading reviews over the past few weeks for what seems like hours on end, and still find myself somewhat confused about picture quality in todays new tv models verses the older crt tube sets. I currently have a 6 year old 36" Toshiba crt in my living room, and a 15 year old 26" curtis mathis in my basement. I'm wishing to replace my old basement tv with a new unit. I watch movies/sports 50% of the time and game on my xbox 360 50%. I'm considering two models at the present time, both of which are around $2000. The Samsung LN52A650 LCD or the Pioneer 2050 Plasma. Will either of the newer models have a lot better picture than my older Curtis Mathis or Toshiba crt units? I don't mean to come off as sounding ignorant, but I still read threads in forums where people still prefer gaming on their older crt systems.

Thanks

Perfection was only achieved once ..... I'm a Jesus Christ Fanboy!
post #814 of 1451 Old 01-28-2009, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

I hear all the time about how deep the blacks on plasmas are, how superior they are on delivering deep, deep blacks. You know I bought it, I really did. Are the plasma owners that rave about those deep blacks referring to high end tvs, perhaps Kuros only?

I ask this because look, I have evidence that inexpensive plasmas perform at the same level that inexpensive lcds do regarding black level (that is to say poorly).

LCD black level-- 0.04 cd/m2. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2327574,00.asp

Plasma black level-- 0.07 cd/m2. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2327036,00.asp

And we all know that those expensive Pioneer plasmas are much better on black level as compared to what was mentioned above.

Just so you know those two reviews were chosen because the lcd is one I picked up recently, and the panasonic plasma because I've been considering buying one. I wasn't trying to cherry pick, and we're looking at different sized models, but this actually works against lcds because they tend to have more uniform backlights and deeper blacks the larger you go.

So I mean is the plasma snobbery around deep blacks really just about Pioneer elitists with deep pockets? I mean this makes it look like plasmas are not across the board better on rendering blacks than lcds. Is this just a myth about plasmas that never went away?
post #815 of 1451 Old 01-28-2009, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahlerfan999 View Post

I hear all the time about how deep the blacks on plasmas are, how superior they are on delivering deep, deep blacks. You know I bought it, I really did. Are the plasma owners that rave about those deep blacks referring to high end tvs, perhaps Kuros only?

I ask this because look, I have evidence that inexpensive plasmas perform at the same level that inexpensive lcds do regarding black level (that is to say poorly).

LCD black level-- 0.04 cd/m2. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2327574,00.asp

Plasma black level-- 0.07 cd/m2. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2327036,00.asp

And we all know that those expensive Pioneer plasmas are much better on black level as compared to what was mentioned above.

Just so you know those two reviews were chosen because the lcd is one I picked up recently, and the panasonic plasma because I've been considering buying one. I wasn't trying to cherry pick, and we're looking at different sized models, but this actually works against lcds because they tend to have more uniform backlights and deeper blacks the larger you go.

So I mean is the plasma snobbery around deep blacks really just about Pioneer elitists with deep pockets? I mean this makes it look like plasmas are not across the board better on rendering blacks than lcds. Is this just a myth about plasmas that never went away?

Plasmas in general have better black levels than LCD's but the gap is getting more narrow day by day..

It has to do with LCD needing a backlight. and plasma does not.

Another thing to note is that once you move slightly off center of an LCD, the black level drops substantially and the colors wash out.

wHy So SeRiOus???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #816 of 1451 Old 01-28-2009, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmak09 View Post

Another thing to note is that once you move slightly off center of an LCD, the black level drops substantially and the colors wash out.

That is the main thing that killed the Samsung 950 for me. It was beautiful straight on but move a few inches and man o man. I bet it will be less of an issue with each future release but for now it's something that coupled with endless complaints of blooming, clouds, and flashlights has steered me towards my first plasma.

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #817 of 1451 Old 01-28-2009, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmak09 View Post

Plasmas in general have better black levels than LCD's but the gap is getting more narrow day by day..

It has to do with LCD needing a backlight. and plasma does not.

Well no doubt off axis viewing changes everything. As a loner, I don't really worry about that though.

What I'm really asking is how does an entry level lcd outperform a mid-tier panasonic plasma, if plasmas are supposed to have better blacks? Do the numbers lie? It doesn't look they lie. If they tested it in the same black room with the same equipment the results from both reviews should be believable.
post #818 of 1451 Old 01-28-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:

What I'm really asking is how does an entry level lcd outperform a mid-tier panasonic plasma, if plasmas are supposed to have better blacks? Do the numbers lie? It doesn't look they lie. If they tested it in the same black room with the same equipment the results from both reviews should be believable.

That Toshiba simply has better contrast than Panasonic, numbers don't lie. PCMAG site provides also good info about black and white uniformity. For example that cheap [url="http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,RL]provides more uniform blacks than top tier [url="http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2330711,00.asp]. It's generally thought that only LCDs have clouding and other uniformity problems.

[mod: please don't post retail links: especially links that cause crashes: links broken]
post #819 of 1451 Old 01-29-2009, 07:19 AM

I am considering buying either the new LCD (either a Samsung series 8 or 9) or a plasma (either the Kuro Pioneer or a panasonic Viera). I am stumped as to what to buy though. I thought I had my mind made up on the LCD as the colours were very impressive. I really like how the 1080P seemed almost 3D like on these units. I figured I was going to go with the series 8 Samsung as I didn't see the value of upgrading to the series 9. The picture pretty much looked the same but didn't cost the exter $1200 for the LED feature. However when I was in the store, I am still finding the LCDs (even at 120Hz ans 4 mS response) leave artifacts on the screen and can become blurry with fast moving action. Plasmas have the 0.1 mS response time which allows the fluid motion no matter what speed. With the new plasmas having the gaming mode feature now....what would be a better TV. I like the response on the plasma's but the colour is most impressive on the LCD's.
I currently have a Panasonic DLP(720P) with a Sony BDP-550 blueray, JBL speakers and a Denon AVR-889....all with highspeed HDMI cables. What TV would I most be happy with? Any thoughts?
post #820 of 1451 Old 01-29-2009, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have the 950 and love it, with LED Motion Plus turned on, it is like the motion of a plasma.

But if want a plasma, go with the kuro or kuro elite.

Also if you do want a samsung lcd, you might as well wait a few months when there new line of LCDS including LEDs which was previewed at CES is available to the public. 240hz is the big thing now for LCDs.
post #821 of 1451 Old 01-29-2009, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
.. since yr at the plasma forum, i pick "plasma"!

no, really: what size, seating distance, budget max?

off-angle viewing is worse on LCD's, so you would like it if sitting directly in front (including guests) & your sitting arrangement.

add: Pioneer 5020fd, Panasonic 50pz800u/pz850u, Samsung 50a550/a650.
post #822 of 1451 Old 01-29-2009, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm an LCD owner, but with the price of the plasmas where they are, I would go with the plasma.

Just my .02
post #823 of 1451 Old 01-29-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsboy View Post

I am considering buying either the new LCD (either a Samsung series 8 or 9) or a plasma (either the Kuro Pioneer or a panasonic Viera). I am stumped as to what to buy though. I thought I had my mind made up on the LCD as the colours were very impressive. I really like how the 1080P seemed almost 3D like on these units. I figured I was going to go with the series 8 Samsung as I didn't see the value of upgrading to the series 9. The picture pretty much looked the same but didn't cost the exter $1200 for the LED feature. However when I was in the store, I am still finding the LCDs (even at 120Hz ans 4 mS response) leave artifacts on the screen and can become blurry with fast moving action. Plasmas have the 0.1 mS response time which allows the fluid motion no matter what speed. With the new plasmas having the gaming mode feature now....what would be a better TV. I like the response on the plasma's but the colour is most impressive on the LCD's.
I currently have a Panasonic DLP(720P) with a Sony BDP-550 blueray, JBL speakers and a Denon AVR-889....all with highspeed HDMI cables. What TV would I most be happy with? Any thoughts?

I can't help you with a specific model, as you provided no real requirements in regards to screen size or price. Price must be a factor as you mentioned $1200 in your post. I can help with the easy part, buy a PLASMA, it's a no brainer. The best picture resides in the PLASMA arena.

The short version of the correct answer, Best picture=Pioneer Elite, Best Value =Panasonic 800 series.
post #824 of 1451 Old 01-29-2009, 10:28 AM

Thanks for the input. As for size of either the plasma or LCD....it would be 50" plus. So for the LCD it would probably be a 52" size (unless I would get the 9 series as it is 55"). Same for the plasma, I was looking at a pioneer 50" and a panasonic 58". I liked the 60" plasma kuro but there was a $3500 price jump for the 10". Price isn't really a concern (but I am speaking Canadian dollars) and would spend up to $4000 or so.
I currently have the seating 10 feet back from my 50" Panasonic DLP. The room it is in is generally darker....but there are probably 30 dimmable pot lights in it set up on 2 circuits.
With LCDs now in 120hz (and the new 240Hz Sony brought out), how does that compare to plasma as from my understanding, most things are displayed in 60Hz. Does a plasma have the ability to go to 120 Hz?
post #825 of 1451 Old 01-29-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the input. As for size of either the plasma or LCD....it would be 50" plus. So for the LCD it would probably be a 52" size (unless I would get the 9 series as it is 55"). Same for the plasma, I was looking at a pioneer 50" and a panasonic 58". I liked the 60" plasma kuro but there was a $3500 price jump for the 10". Price isn't really a concern (but I am speaking Canadian dollars) and would spend up to $4000 or so.
I currently have the seating 10 feet back from my 50" Panasonic DLP. The room it is in is generally darker....but there are probably 30 dimmable pot lights in it set up on 2 circuits.
With LCDs now in 120hz (and the new 240Hz Sony brought out), how does that compare to plasma as from my understanding, most things are displayed in 60Hz. Does a plasma have the ability to go to 120 Hz?

Plamsma and DLP don't need the same 120Hz capability as an LCD. LCD's and LCD technology is flawed. The 120Hz or 240Hz feature is simply used as an attempt to cover up for this flaw. That flaw results in motion blur. Every single LCD suffers from motion blur to a degree.
post #826 of 1451 Old 01-29-2009, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
you cannot compare an lcd to a plasma in its legue in terms of blacks its not the way the lcd technology works, make it easy on your self get a plasma simple, really i dont know why most avsers cant see that plasma really has no disadvantage over lcd in terms of picture quality and performance for real live tv watching and no visable flaws.

no tv technology is without flaws though

Quote:

Well no doubt off axis viewing changes everything. As a loner, I don't really worry about that though.

Pioneer Elite PRO-111
Samsung 60PnF5300 af
panasonic px75u

XBL x117x831
PS4 gusx831
post #827 of 1451 Old 01-29-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:

I am considering buying either the new LCD (either a Samsung series 8 or 9) or a plasma (either the Kuro Pioneer or a panasonic Viera). I am stumped as to what to buy though. What TV would I most be happy with? Any thoughts?

I own a Samsung Series 8 46'' LCD. One of my best friends owns a 50'' full HD Pioneer Kuro. If price is not an obstacle, please buy the Kuro.

During past month I experienced backlight bleed and flashlight problems while using a Sony W4500 46'' LCD. I stick now with this Series 8 Samsung for budget reasons only. And because it gives a reasonable picture for the money (My 46'' was half the price of the 50'' Kuro). And because I managed to tweak the settings so that backlight problems are not visible (at the expense of some black detail).

Since i have the opportunity to check the Kuro quality several times at my friend's house, I have to agree that LCD tech, even with the latest improvements, does not reach the Pioneer Kuro level of image quality, in terms of black level/depth and detail, color accuracy and screen uniformity.

The main problems you may want to check carefully if you decide to go for a LCD:

Please, please, please, do yourself a favour and try the LCD you think is ok in a dark room enviroment and try to see some dark material before you buy. Select an empty (no signal) source and increase backligh/brightness and see the black screen uniformity problems derived from the backlight that may not be visible under a bright light environment. Then try to see if they are visible while watching movie material with dark content (with normal settings).

And please check the color/contrast change by moving to the left (or rigth) of the picture. In my Series 8 Samsung the change is quite visible. Me and my wife usually sit right in front of the TV and this is not a big issue for us, but it may be for you.

Also, be aware of the glare that is present in the Samsung glossy displays - they act like mirrors and you may find seeing yourself and the room reflected on screen as soon as someone turns on the lights.

With the Plasma (Kuro or Panny) backlight problems do not exist and image does not change as dramatically as with LCDs if you decide to watch a movie from a different position.

All in all, a Kuro plasma will win hands down against ANY LCD on the market (as of today). A Panny Z800 (or even a Z80 or 85) are also very good bets. If price is not an obstacle, why not go for the best? Why buy a VW if you can have a Ferrari?

PS: BTW the "DLNA" and "Wiselink" Samsung extras are crap.
post #828 of 1451 Old 01-30-2009, 05:01 AM

Thanks Xexalex....I think from all the comments I have decided to go with the plasma. I definitely like the Kuro but a 50" is almost the same as a 58" from Panasonic....so I am still undecided on that. I did hear though that the Panasonics do come from the same place as the Pioneers are manufactured so they must be somewhat comparable....although I doubt Pioneer would give up all their technology when building for others.....the Kuros sure are nice though. The only draw back where I am is that a 50" on sale is $2800 and the 60" jumps up to $6500.
post #829 of 1451 Old 01-30-2009, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

msdboy that information is NOT True. However next year panasonic will be making the glass (panel) for pioneer. Currently pioneer is 100% production by pioneer and this year is the last year that it will stay like that.

Also yep the 58+ size still is a huge change in terms of price, I would get that 50" elite that is under sub $3 grand.

Quote:

Thanks Xexalex....I think from all the comments I have decided to go with the plasma. I definitely like the Kuro but a 50" is almost the same as a 58" from Panasonic....so I am still undecided on that. I did hear though that the Panasonics do come from the same place as the Pioneers are manufactured so they must be somewhat comparable....although I doubt Pioneer would give up all their technology when building for others.....the Kuros sure are nice though. The only draw back where I am is that a 50" on sale is $2800 and the 60" jumps up to $6500.

I love these kind of post zexalex thank you!!! it really shows what lcd buyers have seen and admit its flaws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zexalex View Post

I own a Samsung Series 8 46'' LCD. One of my best friends owns a 50'' full HD Pioneer Kuro. If price is not an obstacle, please buy the Kuro.

During past month I experienced backlight bleed and flashlight problems while using a Sony W4500 46'' LCD. I stick now with this Series 8 Samsung for budget reasons only. And because it gives a reasonable picture for the money (My 46'' was half the price of the 50'' Kuro). And because I managed to tweak the settings so that backlight problems are not visible (at the expense of some black detail).

Since i have the opportunity to check the Kuro quality several times at my friend's house, I have to agree that LCD tech, even with the latest improvements, does not reach the Pioneer Kuro level of image quality, in terms of black level/depth and detail, color accuracy and screen uniformity.

The main problems you may want to check carefully if you decide to go for a LCD:

Please, please, please, do yourself a favour and try the LCD you think is ok in a dark room enviroment and try to see some dark material before you buy. Select an empty (no signal) source and increase backligh/brightness and see the black screen uniformity problems derived from the backlight that may not be visible under a bright light environment. Then try to see if they are visible while watching movie material with dark content (with normal settings).

And please check the color/contrast change by moving to the left (or rigth) of the picture. In my Series 8 Samsung the change is quite visible. Me and my wife usually sit right in front of the TV and this is not a big issue for us, but it may be for you.

Also, be aware of the glare that is present in the Samsung glossy displays - they act like mirrors and you may find seeing yourself and the room reflected on screen as soon as someone turns on the lights.

With the Plasma (Kuro or Panny) backlight problems do not exist and image does not change as dramatically as with LCDs if you decide to watch a movie from a different position.

All in all, a Kuro plasma will win hands down against ANY LCD on the market (as of today). A Panny Z800 (or even a Z80 or 85) are also very good bets. If price is not an obstacle, why not go for the best? Why buy a VW if you can have a Ferrari?

PS: BTW the "DLNA" and "Wiselink" Samsung extras are crap.

Pioneer Elite PRO-111
Samsung 60PnF5300 af
panasonic px75u

XBL x117x831
PS4 gusx831
post #830 of 1451 Old 01-30-2009, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi folks, old time AVS member here, but I haven't been around in a while.

I hate jumping in here to ask the simple questions that should be answered with a "RTFF", but the stickies here seem to be a little out of date and/or contain links to threads that no longer exist or have been archived.

Here's my situation: my old Sony KP61HS10 has finally blown up, so I find myself needing to buy a replacement in short order. I am woefully out of date in terms of current technology. I've read the last 5 pages of this thread, and have tried to soak in what I can.

I'm looking for any advice, suggestions for units to look at, or direction to posts here (or other sites) with additional, relevant, timely information.

I am looking for a minimum 50" unit, 55-60+" desired. My source is an HD Tivo on Comcast service. I watch mostly at night, though occasional daytime use occurs on weekend, and my viewing room has some ambient light, mainly coming from one side. My seating area is 5-12 feet away, mostly straight on, maybe a 30-45 degree arc from edge to edge.

I am looking to spend no more than $3.5k if possible, but budget is flexible and exceptions can be made. I have no biases between LCD or plasma (or DLP or OLED) coming in, though given what I've read about my size requirements, I am guessing that plasma is going to give me the best bang for the buck.

Thanks in advance, and apologies once again for asking such a retarded question. If time wasn't of the essence I would certainly prefer to do my own homework prior to making such a post here.
post #831 of 1451 Old 01-30-2009, 04:08 PM

I think that the best bet for your budget if a 55'' Panasonic plasma. 60'' plasmas are awfully expensive. Pioneer Kuros are better but even more expensive.
post #832 of 1451 Old 01-30-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:

If you need 58'' then go for the Panny. What Panasonic model are you thinking about? Z80, Z85 or Z800, or? There is a difference in princing the best ones (Z800) are much more expensive than the others, and I am not really sure what to recommend here from a quality/price point of view.

Pioneer announced that during 2009 they will stop production of their own plasma panels and would start buying panels from Panasonic factories. But the rest of the electronics will continue to be made by Pioneer.
post #833 of 1451 Old 02-02-2009, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zexalex View Post

I think that the best bet for your budget if a 55'' Panasonic plasma. 60'' plasmas are awfully expensive. Pioneer Kuros are better but even more expensive.

Thanks for the advice. I am looking at the Panasonic Viera TH-58PZ800U for about a thousand less than my price point above, or the Pioneer PDP-6020FD Kuro for about $200 more than the price point.

Both are in the right range. Is the Kuro worth $1200 more? Any other suggestions for sets to look at?
post #834 of 1451 Old 02-03-2009, 07:30 PM

Hello,

We are currently looking into moving up from our 48" HD-RPTV to either a Plasma or an LCD.

In the setup will be a XBOX360/PS3 and we are concerned about that ole image retention argument you will hear some people talk about.

How concerned should we be? I could see times where the game system could be on for 3-4 hours.

Thanks.
post #835 of 1451 Old 02-03-2009, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aenygma View Post

How concerned should we be? I could see times where the game system could be on for 3-4 hours.
)

You shouldn't be concerned at all with any NEW plasma.

I have the Panny th-42pz85u and a PS3 and I've never seen any IR.
post #836 of 1451 Old 02-03-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike171979 View Post

You shouldn't be concerned at all with any NEW plasma.

I have the Panny th-42pz85u and a PS3 and I've never seen any IR.

Do you have times where you run it for up to 4 hours?
post #837 of 1451 Old 02-03-2009, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I do I have had a 2007 panasonic plasma 720p model that i game for nights (read 6+hrs) no burn in.

I now have a 2008 pioneer elite that i use 90% of the time on games 5% on movies and 5% on tv programing.

I see NO image retention no burn in no hint of any issues with huds/black bars/side bars logos etc etc

no problems what so ever.

gus738 is my gamer tag as proof that you will see me log online all the time im home.

i play saints row2 (very open game thus long) gta4 rockband2/guitarhero gears of war 2 (online is very addicting even though lag) amog other games.

no issues with temporarly image retention forget burn in.

Oh and like anyone else i've also had a crt tube which shares the similarties of plasma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aenygma View Post

Do you have times where you run it for up to 4 hours?

Pioneer Elite PRO-111
Samsung 60PnF5300 af
panasonic px75u

XBL x117x831
PS4 gusx831
post #838 of 1451 Old 02-03-2009, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

dmaneyapanda get a pioneer / elite!!!! thats the best picture quality on the planet period!. i can dig out an old post of a serious of reviews of the pro-111 (50") or the 151 (60") .

the non elite 5020fd (50") and 6020fd (60)" are fine tvs as well! If you cannot afford the pioneer then panasonic would be my second choice.

Granted you have quite a distance in which you watch tv, for that 50" would feel too small however i would still take a 50" elite over a 58" panasonic pz series.

i would take the 6020FD (60" ) non elite over the pz, the pz will have more settings to adjust to your like but the pioneer is better picture quality overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaneyapanda View Post

Hi folks, old time AVS member here, but I haven't been around in a while.

I hate jumping in here to ask the simple questions that should be answered with a "RTFF", but the stickies here seem to be a little out of date and/or contain links to threads that no longer exist or have been archived.

Here's my situation: my old Sony KP61HS10 has finally blown up, so I find myself needing to buy a replacement in short order. I am woefully out of date in terms of current technology. I've read the last 5 pages of this thread, and have tried to soak in what I can.

I'm looking for any advice, suggestions for units to look at, or direction to posts here (or other sites) with additional, relevant, timely information.

I am looking for a minimum 50" unit, 55-60+" desired. My source is an HD Tivo on Comcast service. I watch mostly at night, though occasional daytime use occurs on weekend, and my viewing room has some ambient light, mainly coming from one side. My seating area is 5-12 feet away, mostly straight on, maybe a 30-45 degree arc from edge to edge.

I am looking to spend no more than $3.5k if possible, but budget is flexible and exceptions can be made. I have no biases between LCD or plasma (or DLP or OLED) coming in, though given what I've read about my size requirements, I am guessing that plasma is going to give me the best bang for the buck.

Thanks in advance, and apologies once again for asking such a retarded question. If time wasn't of the essence I would certainly prefer to do my own homework prior to making such a post here.

yes the pioneers are worth that much, YMMV as its up to you if its worth to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaneyapanda View Post

Thanks for the advice. I am looking at the Panasonic Viera TH-58PZ800U for about a thousand less than my price point above, or the Pioneer PDP-6020FD Kuro for about $200 more than the price point.

Both are in the right range. Is the Kuro worth $1200 more? Any other suggestions for sets to look at?

Pioneer Elite PRO-111
Samsung 60PnF5300 af
panasonic px75u

XBL x117x831
PS4 gusx831
post #839 of 1451 Old 02-04-2009, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vud911 View Post

These are the problems I noticed listed for LCD and Plasma on a regular basis in the forums as possible problems to its technology.

LCD - banding, clouding, motion blur, dead pixel, flashlights, light bleeding, input lag, ghosting

Plasma - image retention, burn-ins, buzzing, dirty whites, dimness, dithering (I still don't get what this is)

Additionally:
Do I understand that if you have many people sitting around the room, that LCD's provide poorer picture quality for off-axis viewing?
And, that Plasma televisions are not as good in bright rooms (or does that fall under dimness?).

I'm heavily leaning towards Plasma set for the following reasons (perhaps in order of importance):
I want people sitting anywhere (within reason) in the room to benefit from a good picture.
I watch a fair amount of sports and a few action movies.
I have an Engineer's mentality, I am an audiophile, and I am particular - so it is likely I'll become a videophile and appreciate the deep and textured blacks.
It seems like any recently manufactured Plasma television has almost no chance of suffering from burn-in.

For me, the only Plasma deal-breaker for me would be a Plasma TV in a bright room. We move every three years or so (in Europe, but we are Americans) so we don't have control over this when trying to find rental houses under some time pressure. BUT, we do know how to install curtains or mini-blinds.

For the LCD's, it seems motion blur, fair blacks instead of pristine ones, and poor off axis veiwing are deal breakers with no solutions.

We will be back in the States in either 18 mos or 4 years (don't know which) so don't want to invest a huge chunk of change. It seems like one can't go far wrong with a Panny Plasma as far as bang for the buck.

[PS: Right now we are viewing a 29" Phillips CRT (NTSC and PAL, dual voltage) that refuses to break. Two years ago I bought a 60" Sony XBR2 for use at my Mom's in Alabama - now it's time to have an HD set where I live too!]
post #840 of 1451 Old 02-13-2009, 07:04 PM

Plasma
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page