LCD or Plasma? Plasma or LCD? and why those Black Bars? Discuss it here only Please - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-01-2009, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcd29 View Post

For gaming: Should I get a Panasonic G10 Plasma or a Samsung LN40B650?

It's for a bedroom.

For me Plasma had the best PQ when it came to gaming ..... I had the Samsung LN52A650 and the LN52B750 , and the Plasma won out at my house.

Perfection was only achieved once ..... I'm a Jesus Christ Fanboy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2009, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I had planned to buy previously but ended up putting off my purchase since I still haven't switched to HD. My plan is to switch to Fios here in the next month so I am looking for a HD set to replace my 36" JVC D-Series. My primary use will be movies and TV. The 360 serves as my DVD player in the room and TV will be fed through Tivo HD. I only do a little gaming so it isn't a huge concern.

Seating is about 12ft away from the front of the current TV so probably 13ft or so with a flat panel. Most viewing would be direct view but sometimes people may be viewing from about a 45 degree angle. The room gets no direct sunlight but is open to the kitchen with no way to close it off. I am also looking to say in the sub $2k range preferably lower if I can. Any pointing in the correct direction would be appreciated.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Are there any inherent differences between plasma and LCD sets that distinguish them in terms of longevity? On average, which type of set would have a lower TCO (Total Cost of Ownership)?
Old 06-12-2009, 05:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluxon View Post

Are there any inherent differences between plasma and LCD sets that distinguish them in terms of longevity? On average, which type of set would have a lower TCO (Total Cost of Ownership)?

Assuming you get a good unit and that there are no defects in the LCD or plasma panel, the main issue for TCO is power consumption.

Modern plasma units have reduced their power consumption quite a bit over the last 2 years, and Energy Star ratings are preferred, they have in the vicinity of 1 watt standby power. The same goes for LCD.

If both LCD and plasma are Energy Star, then for the same size screen the LCD draws less power. In the end, the final consumption for your unit in real use at home depends equally on how high you set the contrast and brightness setting while viewing.

For example, my 46" LCD is rated at 270W, but as have it configured my settings consume 160W. Crutchfield.com's info on TV site has a section on power consumption, and even pre-Energy Star plasmas consume more like 1/2 to 2/3 their rated power on default settings.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:28 AM

panasonic g10 imo
Old 06-20-2009, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Both plasma and LCD should last indefinitely and be very reliable, unless you get a defective unit. Also, if you do the math, you will see that the 60,000+ hour phosphor half-life on plasmas is a non-issue; you will never detect a change! The only remaining TCO, aside from inrequent repairs, is power consumption, and that is "pocket change"!
Old 06-22-2009, 10:06 AM

Maybe this has been discussed before. Looking for answers regarding energy consumption between LCD and plasma. I have read that plasma uses twice as much energy but what does this mean in "real terms" I'm trying to decide between LCD and plasma but buying a an appliance that uses a significant amount of energy when there is an adequate alternative has me leaning to LCD
Old 06-23-2009, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray81 View Post

Maybe this has been discussed before. Looking for answers regarding energy consumption between LCD and plasma. I have read that plasma uses twice as much energy but what does this mean in "real terms" I'm trying to decide between LCD and plasma but buying a an appliance that uses a significant amount of energy when there is an adequate alternative has me leaning to LCD

The best way to find out is check who really measured it. There is Crutchfield's list and that of the US gov't Energy Star program. See links.

For example, Pioneer Kuro 50" 5020D vs Samsung 52" A750 LCD.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:21 PM

I'm looking to get a 42" HDTV on a budget(I've been seeing deals between $600-$700). I'm going to use it for 360/PS3 gaming and to watch movies and TV through a macbook connection(maybe a little gaming through the mac as well). I'm going to be sitting about 8 to 10ft away in a dark to medium-bright room.

Based on this, would you recommend LCD or Plasma? I'm also not sure about 1080 over 720. The Plasmas I've seen in my price range don't normally go past 720, but there are LCDs in 1080. From what I have read, Plasma720 is fine at 42", but since I am going to be using my macbook through it a lot, the LCD at 1080 might be a better choice.

Any help or specific model/brand recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-30-2009, 09:14 AM

I'm finding this thread very interesting because I've been looking at the Panasonic TV-P42U1 in Best Buy.

Heres my story:

I've had a SONY KD-34XBR960 34" CRT HDTV for the past give years.
Absolutely loved it. Then it started having problems, I didn't get the service warranty, and several local tv repair organizations ran me around with 3 weeks between in-house appointments and trying one board after another to fix it. The TV was 200lbs so moving it different repair places wasn't an option. I got fed up with waiting to get it fixed, so I went to BEST BUY.
I put the SONY in storage.

I was drawn to (2) of the many TVs at BEST BUY. The Panasonic TC-P42U1 plasma ($899) and the Samsung LN40B630 LCD ($1199). The Samsung seemed to have a far brighter screen and was LCD, newer technology. But I also liked the pleasant warm look of the Panasonic, although I was somewhat concerned about reflections from the glossy screen.

Ultimately I purchased the Samsung. Now, as in the store, the picture is great, but, the morning after I purchased it and watched it for the first time, I had the worse "hangover"-type headache and eye strain I've had in my life. This is interesting because I work in Television Production and have spent the last 30 years staring at every imaginable type of television and computer screen for long hours on end and have never suffered from any type of headache or eye strain from anything, nor do I wear glasses. I'm sitting roughly 9 feet from the Samsung 40" LCD in a relatively low light living room. I do enjoy watching the TV in the dark with no lights on at night.

I went to a SAMSUNG store close to where I work and explained my problem. He gold me to shut off the MOTION feature that helps smooth out action sequences, the thing that can be set to 60 or 120hz and makes film look like it's video. I shut that off and the severe headaches went away. However, I have to say that I'm still getting some headache and eye strain from the TV
and while the resolution is great and I'm seeing details I didn't see on my SONY, it's not as pleasant a viewing experience as the SONY. I've turned the setting to NATURAL, and turned down the brightness and backlighting almost to O. This makes the TV's magnificant picture somewhat not so magnificent anymore. But this does reduce the headaches and eye strain, and gradually my eyes are adjusting, but there is still a certain level of discomfort. I even made a gypsy-rigged backlight like they show online (using a 6800 florescent light). That helps, but the experience is still nothing as pleasant as my original SONY.

For all these reasons, I'm been seriously thinking about returning the Samsung to BEST BUY before my 30 days are up, and exchanging it for the Panasonic TV-P42U1 as that TV seems alot less bright, but still crisp in it's image quality. I'm just concerned that I'm buying older technology and I'm also a bit concerned about the glossy screen.

I'm also a member of COSCO but have never had any problems with BEST BUY and exchanges.

I'd be interested in any opinions. I still can't find much feedback on the Pansonic anywhere on line, although review of the Samsung is wonderful.

I'd love some input.

Thanks.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

A study suggests it happens more often with LCD:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...412437953b36bd

Eui Chul Leea, Kang Ryoung Parkb, , , Mincheol Whangc and Kyungha Minc

aDepartment of Computer Science, Biometrics Engineering Research Center (BERC), Sangmyung University, 7 Hongji-dong, Jongro-Ku, Seoul, Republic of Korea
bDepartment of Electronics Engineering, Biometrics Engineering Research Center (BERC), Dongguk University, 26 Pil-dong 3-ga, Jung-gu, Seoul 100-715, Republic of Korea
cDivision of Digital Media Technology, Sangmyung University, 7 Hongji-dong, Jongro-Ku, Seoul, Republic of Korea

Received 27 May 2008;
revised 28 January 2009;
accepted 19 February 2009.
Available online 18 March 2009.

Abstract

In this paper, we propose a new way of measuring the degree of eyestrain caused by watching LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) and PDP (Plasma Display Panel) devices. In the experiments, we used a head-mounted eye capturing device and an illumination setup that was designed to avoid specular reflections caused by glasses or contact lenses. Using the captured eye images, we analyzed the eye blinking and changes of pupil sizes (pupil accommodation), using a real-time image processing algorithm. Then we analyzed the degree of eyestrain based on the calculated blinking rate and the pupil accommodation speed. The proposed method offers five improvements over previous methods. First, we perform a comparative analysis of LCD and PDP devices based on the degree of eyestrain. Second, to analyze the degree of eyestrain, we use quantitative data such as the blinking rate and the pupil accommodation speed. Third, we measure the accurate eye blinking and changes of pupil sizes by using high-resolution and zoomed eye image sequences. Fourth, since the camera and illuminative system are based on a specular reflective model, the proposed method can be used with subjects that wear glasses or contact lenses. Fifth, the proposed method is performed at real-time speed.
Experimental results showed that the degree of eyestrain when watching LCD devices was greater than that when watching PDP devices.
Relevance to industry

In the large display industry, LCD and PDP devices have become more and more prevalent. In the past, LCD devices have been compared to PDP devices in terms of factors such as spatial resolution, brightness, contrast levels, etc. To perform more accurate comparisons based on human factor, we are proposing a new way of comparing LCD to PDP devices based on the degree of eyestrain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brvid View Post

I'm finding this thread very interesting because I've been looking at the Panasonic TV-P42U1 in Best Buy.

Heres my story:

I've had a SONY KD-34XBR960 34" CRT HDTV for the past give years.
Absolutely loved it. Then it started having problems, I didn't get the service warranty, and several local tv repair organizations ran me around with 3 weeks between in-house appointments and trying one board after another to fix it. The TV was 200lbs so moving it different repair places wasn't an option. I got fed up with waiting to get it fixed, so I went to BEST BUY.
I put the SONY in storage.

I was drawn to (2) of the many TVs at BEST BUY. The Panasonic TC-P42U1 plasma ($899) and the Samsung LN40B630 LCD ($1199). The Samsung seemed to have a far brighter screen and was LCD, newer technology. But I also liked the pleasant warm look of the Panasonic, although I was somewhat concerned about reflections from the glossy screen.

Ultimately I purchased the Samsung. Now, as in the store, the picture is great, but, the morning after I purchased it and watched it for the first time, I had the worse "hangover"-type headache and eye strain I've had in my life. This is interesting because I work in Television Production and have spent the last 30 years staring at every imaginable type of television and computer screen for long hours on end and have never suffered from any type of headache or eye strain from anything, nor do I wear glasses. I'm sitting roughly 9 feet from the Samsung 40" LCD in a relatively low light living room. I do enjoy watching the TV in the dark with no lights on at night.

I went to a SAMSUNG store close to where I work and explained my problem. He gold me to shut off the MOTION feature that helps smooth out action sequences, the thing that can be set to 60 or 120hz and makes film look like it's video. I shut that off and the severe headaches went away. However, I have to say that I'm still getting some headache and eye strain from the TV
and while the resolution is great and I'm seeing details I didn't see on my SONY, it's not as pleasant a viewing experience as the SONY. I've turned the setting to NATURAL, and turned down the brightness and backlighting almost to O. This makes the TV's magnificant picture somewhat not so magnificent anymore. But this does reduce the headaches and eye strain, and gradually my eyes are adjusting, but there is still a certain level of discomfort. I even made a gypsy-rigged backlight like they show online (using a 6800 florescent light). That helps, but the experience is still nothing as pleasant as my original SONY.

For all these reasons, I'm been seriously thinking about returning the Samsung to BEST BUY before my 30 days are up, and exchanging it for the Panasonic TV-P42U1 as that TV seems alot less bright, but still crisp in it's image quality. I'm just concerned that I'm buying older technology and I'm also a bit concerned about the glossy screen.

I'm also a member of COSCO but have never had any problems with BEST BUY and exchanges.

I'd be interested in any opinions. I still can't find much feedback on the Pansonic anywhere on line, although review of the Samsung is wonderful.

I'd love some input.

Thanks.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:00 PM

Introduction: I made a similar posting prior to this posting (see below) back in May 2009 in another forum, wherein several LCD advocates disagreed with my findings.

Anyway, back in April/May 2009, I purchased a Samsung UN46B6000 LCD TV (new LED backlight technology) and finally decided to return it.

It was not an easy decision to return the Samsung LCD because it didn't exhibit obvious defects such as flashlighting, uneven backlighting, clouding, etc. (I evidently got an exceptionally good LCD TV, UN46B6000 !).

I decided to return the UN46B6000 LCD because the Panasonic G10 plasma TV displayed a more natural picture, and the G10 was much better in dark scenes where shadow details are important.

After getting the Panasonic 42" G10 in my house, I noticed that the G10 excelled with the science fiction series Startrek Voyager DVD which has dimly lit scenes where the characters wear black uniforms.

The G10 series plasmas have the new "Neopanel" which offers peak brightness comparable to many LCDs as well as the great dark shadow detail.
Note: the cheaper X1 and U1 Pannys are not as good as the new Neopanel plasmas.

After a few days in my home watching the Samsung LCD, I had to conclude that the LCD generated eye-fatigue to due its inaccurate, un-natural rendering of black levels and lack of shadow detail (I also have a Pioneer Elite 60" 151 plasma which was used to make further comparisons). Somehow the eye-brain 'processor' has to work much harder when viewing dim science-fiction scenes on the UN46B6000 LCD.

The Samsung LCD represents significant progress in LCD technology, but the best plasmas are still preferable to LCDs, IMO. When the price of the G10 plasma series was factored in, the choice was obvious. I suppose the 'S1' series (also Neopanel) might be an even lower-cost alternative...

BTW, my preference for the G10 plasma was stronger after making some picture adjustments - I still don't use the G10's THX mode -- waiting for D-Nice to post G10 service-menu calibration numbers.

I was pleasantly suprised to see the 42" G10 (after picture adjustments) did not suffer comparison to my Pioneer Elite 151 plasma -- sure, the Elite is better overall, but really not that noticeable, except for the size difference ('bigger is better' in the world of television).

It's unfortunate that the public perception typically is that LCD is obviously better than plasma technology. '--- its fact the LCD has a better , clearer, brighter picture and the general public can see it ---'.

Yes, I initially had that typical "general public" reaction to LCD in the video-store setting. My initial reaction to the UN46B6000 LCD when I saw it at the store was 'WOW !' (indeed, the picture seemed better, clearer, sharper, brighter, and so forth) - and so I bought it.

Only after carefully viewing the LCD in my home environment with my usual video material, & making comparisons to high-quality plasma TV(s), did I regretfully decide that my initial (superficial) impression was very misleading.

I tried my best to like the new Samsung LCD, but that just did not happen in my home environment. If

If I'm a 'plasma fan', it's based on fair & reasonable evaluation.

Dynamically adjusted local-LED backlighting schemes for LCD displays introduce their own problems (a gimmic), and don't look natural IMO.

Like the general public, I made an impulsive LCD buying decision -- lucky I was able to return it to the store, after making in-home comparisons.

LCD technology still needs refinement -- and as a temporary member of the 'general public' who learned the hard way (by unbiased personal experience), I can say that plasma technology is generally getting a bum rap. Video magazine reviews of the Pioneer Elite Plasmas seem to support this conclusion.

I really wanted to keep the LCD TV, especially since I had an exceptionally fine UN46B6000 to evaluate - and the LED/thin styling was great looking.

Bill13
Old 07-04-2009, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill13 View Post

Introduction: I made a similar posting prior to this posting (see below) back in May 2009 in another forum, wherein several LCD advocates disagreed with my findings.

Anyway, back in April/May 2009, I purchased a Samsung UN46B6000 LCD TV (new LED backlight technology) and finally decided to return it.

It was not an easy decision to return the Samsung LCD because it didn't exhibit obvious defects such as flashlighting, uneven backlighting, clouding, etc. (I evidently got an exceptionally good LCD TV, UN46B6000 !).

I decided to return the UN46B6000 LCD because the Panasonic G10 plasma TV displayed a more natural picture, and the G10 was much better in dark scenes where shadow details are important.

After getting the Panasonic 42" G10 in my house, I noticed that the G10 excelled with the science fiction series Startrek Voyager DVD which has dimly lit scenes where the characters wear black uniforms.

The G10 series plasmas have the new "Neopanel" which offers peak brightness comparable to many LCDs as well as the great dark shadow detail.
Note: the cheaper X1 and U1 Pannys are not as good as the new Neopanel plasmas.

After a few days in my home watching the Samsung LCD, I had to conclude that the LCD generated eye-fatigue to due its inaccurate, un-natural rendering of black levels and lack of shadow detail (I also have a Pioneer Elite 60" 151 plasma which was used to make further comparisons). Somehow the eye-brain 'processor' has to work much harder when viewing dim science-fiction scenes on the UN46B6000 LCD.

The Samsung LCD represents significant progress in LCD technology, but the best plasmas are still preferable to LCDs, IMO. When the price of the G10 plasma series was factored in, the choice was obvious. I suppose the 'S1' series (also Neopanel) might be an even lower-cost alternative...

BTW, my preference for the G10 plasma was stronger after making some picture adjustments - I still don't use the G10's THX mode -- waiting for D-Nice to post G10 service-menu calibration numbers.

I was pleasantly suprised to see the 42" G10 (after picture adjustments) did not suffer comparison to my Pioneer Elite 151 plasma -- sure, the Elite is better overall, but really not that noticeable, except for the size difference ('bigger is better' in the world of television).

It's unfortunate that the public perception typically is that LCD is obviously better than plasma technology. '--- its fact the LCD has a better , clearer, brighter picture and the general public can see it ---'.

Yes, I initially had that typical "general public" reaction to LCD in the video-store setting. My initial reaction to the UN46B6000 LCD when I saw it at the store was 'WOW !' (indeed, the picture seemed better, clearer, sharper, brighter, and so forth) - and so I bought it.

Only after carefully viewing the LCD in my home environment with my usual video material, & making comparisons to high-quality plasma TV(s), did I regretfully decide that my initial (superficial) impression was very misleading.

I tried my best to like the new Samsung LCD, but that just did not happen in my home environment. If

If I'm a 'plasma fan', it's based on fair & reasonable evaluation.

Dynamically adjusted local-LED backlighting schemes for LCD displays introduce their own problems (a gimmic), and don't look natural IMO.

Like the general public, I made an impulsive LCD buying decision -- lucky I was able to return it to the store, after making in-home comparisons.

LCD technology still needs refinement -- and as a temporary member of the 'general public' who learned the hard way (by unbiased personal experience), I can say that plasma technology is generally getting a bum rap. Video magazine reviews of the Pioneer Elite Plasmas seem to support this conclusion.

I really wanted to keep the LCD TV, especially since I had an exceptionally fine UN46B6000 to evaluate - and the LED/thin styling was great looking.

Bill13

your experience is very similar to mine.
I initially thought that LCD had the better picture based off of store comparisons.

It was only after carefully comparing the two technologies in my home that I realized just how much better plasma looks.

It seems that most of those who believe that LCD has the better picture are basing thier decision on store comparisons or from Plasma models from years and years ago.
If they would take the time to do a real comparison and get thier mind past the Fud and misinfo, They would come to the same conclusion most likely.

Thier are circumstances when LCD might be the better choice though.
For a computer monitor, theres no debate.
LCD does great with still images.
Also, LCD is the better choice for a room with a enormous amount of sunlight, even though no TV will look right under heavy sunlight.

But for movies, sports, games, etc (things with motion), LCD still has many issues.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturation View Post

The best way to find out is check who really measured it. There is Crutchfield's list and that of the US gov't Energy Star program. See links.

For example, Pioneer Kuro 50" 5020D vs Samsung 52" A750 LCD.

I just wanted to say thanks, did npt know they had good listings like that.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:02 PM

Hey,

I've been able to read the first 10 pages of this thread and it's been a ton of help...much more help than I've been able to find on any other site, so kudos to you all. But I'm still torn in between the two.

After YEARS of wanting a HDTV, I'm finally getting one. Fortunately, my girlfriend is nice enough to get me one for an anniversary gift. I'm still debating if I should get a Plasma or an LCD. This is what I'd usually use it for:

-Video games
-SD
-Lots of Blu-Ray movies

I usually see most of my SD channels in the light and my movies in the dark if that matters. At the moment, I'm currently leaning toward an LCD since it seems like a Plasma would be better for a theater room instead of a bedroom [not to mention I saw a 47' Vizio, 120hz for $1,050]..BUT a lot of the Plasmas that I've seen do look incredible as well. I'm really not that knowledgeable when it comes to this stuff except for what I've read on here. Any help would be highly appreciated since I'm planning on making my purchase this Friday. Thanks in advance.

One more question..Why is it that most LCD's have 120Hz and Plasmas are 600Hz? At first, I thought I read a typo, but then I realized that's what many of them say.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 26
most LCDs have 2-6ms gtg response times these days, but the plasma(PDP) panels have .001ms response times which make it ideal for fast moving sports/games, no ghosting/blurring issues whatsoever. Unlike PDPs, most LCDs have marginal black level performance. LCD/PDP(latest gen pdps) have comparable power/watt usage. My dad has the new V5100 Sony 52 inch LCD and it uses more power than my new 50inch LG50PQ30 PDP. Most PDPs are now energy efficient & have less IR issues. My PDP does quite well @ resolving SD signals even though it's not full 1080p, its 1365x768, but if u sit more than 8' back you won't notice the difference between the 1080p & 720p sets. I only paid 8 Benjamins for it(including tax) @ a local retailer.

Also most 09 PDPs have insane dynamic/native contrast ratios, which are unmatched by LCDs. Mine has 2,000,000:1 DCR & 30,000:1 NCR. Phenomenal picture indeed and inky blacks, if i had the cake i would've got a nice Pioneer Kuro panel and had the blackest of the black.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 View Post

most LCDs have 2-6ms gtg response times these days, but the plasma(PDP) panels have .001ms response times which make it ideal for fast moving sports/games, no ghosting/blurring issues whatsoever. Unlike PDPs, most LCDs have marginal black level performance. LCD/PDP(latest gen pdps) have comparable power/watt usage. My dad has the new V5100 Sony 52 inch LCD and it uses more power than my new 50inch LG50PQ30 PDP. Most PDPs are now energy efficient & have less IR issues. My PDP does quite well @ resolving SD signals even though it's not full 1080p, its 1365x768, but if u sit more than 8' back you won't notice the difference between the 1080p & 720p sets. I only paid 8 Benjamins for it(including tax) @ a local retailer.

Also most 09 PDPs have insane dynamic/native contrast ratios, which are unmatched by LCDs. Mine has 2,000,000:1 DCR & 30,000:1 NCR. Phenomenal picture indeed and inky blacks, if i had the cake i would've got a nice Pioneer Kuro panel and had the blackest of the black.

even the pioneer kuro only manages around DCR of 35000:1,the ANSI contrast is around 3500:1 ,but todays lcds from sony and samsung have a higher contrast then most plasmas ,since they can show comparable blacks ,but much brighter whites then plasmas.i bet ,the lg PDP has a contrast less of then 2000:1 and a DCR of less then 10000:1

regarding the power consumption while the new 09 plasma panels have improved significantly in efficiency,they still are far off from the lcds.
sure you can tell us that your LGpQ30 has lesser power consumption then your dads 52V5100,which can be true if u crank up the backlight of the LCD to maxmium AKA torchmode and set ur plasma to 40 to 50% brightness.,secondly u the sony V5100 is 2inches bigger then your plasma and is a FHD lcd,so a more fair comparision is the LGPS60 which is a FHD PDPs.
but the fact is for the same amount of brightness the lcds has the edge
if u don't believe there are plently of measuments done in reviews which confirm the same,if plasmas tvs where so efficient EU wouldn't have considered banning plasmas.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post

even the pioneer kuro only manages around DCR of 35000:1,the ANSI contrast is around 3500:1 ,but todays lcds from sony and samsung have a higher contrast then most plasmas ,since they can show comparable blacks ,but much brighter whites then plasmas.i bet ,the lg PDP has a contrast less of then 2000:1 and a DCR of less then 10000:1

regarding the power consumption while the new 09 plasma panels have improved significantly in efficiency,they still are far off from the lcds.
sure you can tell us that your LGpQ30 has lesser power consumption then your dads 52V5100,which can be true if u crank up the backlight of the LCD to maxmium AKA torchmode and set ur plasma to 40 to 50% brightness.,secondly u the sony V5100 is 2inches bigger then your plasma and is a FHD lcd,so a more fair comparision is the LGPS60 which is a FHD PDPs.
but the fact is for the same amount of brightness the lcds has the edge
if u don't believe there are plently of measuments done in reviews which confirm the same,if plasmas tvs where so efficient EU wouldn't have considered banning plasmas.

yes, lets put all our attention on saving a couple dollars a month in energy cost and the fact that LCD can go way brighter than needed for a proper calibration.

And lets forget about which one diplays the better picture, has better blacks, works better with motion, can be viewed from an angle instead of straight on, etc.

Sure, the top plasmas can go 50FL+ (which is PLENTY BRIGHT),
but if they cant go way past that, then LCD is better.

And if all that fails be sure to mention Burn-in (even though you most likely wont be able to find a legitimate case of it here on AVS or anywhere else.)

That will usually work!!!
Old 07-24-2009, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmak09 View Post

yes, lets put all our attention on saving a couple dollars a month in energy cost and the fact that LCD can go way brighter than needed for a proper calibration.

And lets forget about which one diplays the better picture, has better blacks, works better with motion, can be viewed from an angle instead of straight on, etc.

Sure, the top plasmas can go 50FL+ (which is PLENTY BRIGHT),
but if they cant go way past that, then LCD is better.

And if all that fails be sure to mention Burn-in (even though you most likely wont be able to find a legitimate case of it here on AVS or anywhere else.)

That will usually work!!!

well i just told the facts, i haven't said anything wrong.
yes lcd energy saving, in terms of $$$ is very less,but in terms of green its a lot.
he said the contrast of of his plasma is high which is wrong,its the lcds thats has a higher contrast,yes some plasma like the G10 show a whisker more of deep blacks,which the human eye can't realy notice the difference,neverthless i agree that some plasma show deeper blacks,unless u factor in local dimming LED lcds.a display may show deep blacks and good shadow details which is great for some ,but not so great for people who have a bright room where they can only see the glare.

well if a plasma shows a better picture its fine and thats subjective,but for the majority they like the picture of the lcd, i mean if plasma picture is realy that good it should have taken the lead in sales,since its costs less then a similar sized lcd .few years ago most of the 32inch lcd used to cost more then a typical 42inch plasma,even today some 32inch lcd cost more then a 42inch plasma.yet lcds despite being so pricey have taken the lead,i agree that there are number of reasons for that,but one of which is that people prefer the picture of the lcd.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

LCD's for the most part have a fixed Power usage. Plasma's on the other hand don't! That Power rating for the plasma is the MAX, which would be a all white screen! If it was all black it would use very little. So depending on the type of TV viewing your watching is how much actual power is being used. So that in real world use, the Plasma Vs. LCD with about the same screen size, maybe the plasma is $2 a month more per month if that. For the better picture, better viewing angle and so forth, that bit more of power is worth it to me. Really, why is it the LCD people can only bring up the Power usage and nothing else, and exaggerated at that. I have one of them Kill A Watt Power usage meters you plug inline, and I can SEE exactly how much power is being used with a white screen to a Black screen for example. Unless all you watch is shows in the SNOW and any other really light background your not going to be using 3 times the power or even anything close to that. Hell most of the time for me at least the shows are more Dark if anything most of the time.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 202
I have this really bad habit of leaving the tv on for a long time (pause'd Tivo or live programming with sound on "mute"), so I look forward to my next panel purchase, which will be plasma. Because then, I'll be able to pause on a black screen, like a scene transition for example, and feel a lot less like a gluttonous power waster which is what I've been up until this point with my LCD panels.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

I have this really bad habit of leaving the tv on for a long time (pause'd Tivo or live programming with sound on "mute"), so I look forward to my next panel purchase, which will be plasma. Because then, I'll be able to pause on a black screen, like a scene transition for example, and feel a lot less like a gluttonous power waster which is what I've been up until this point with my LCD panels.

And you could go into your new plasmas menu and select "no activity off".

this will turn off the TV for you if you are forgetful and leave a static image on the screen.
Once you do this, no need to worry about burn-in either.

But be sure to call a technician in to do it because its such a complex thing for some to enable to this feature. lol.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaball77 View Post

You're talking about an in-store experience. I'm telling you that in my home, on my wall, with big windows, and lights on, there is no problem.

Likewise, my parents have a glossy screen Samsung LCD in their living room, surrounded by windows and sliding glass doors, and there is no problem.

The only time you can see reflections on the screen is when the screen is completely black, and if you concentrate on them specifically.

If glossy screen tv's were only watchable in dark rooms, do you think manufacturers would make them? No. Because people wouldn't buy them and the market would disappear.

I think that is why LCD's have done better in terms of sales. IMO Plasma's are superior in every way, but glare. Most people just don't realize Plasma is better and LCD doesn't glare in the store, so they buy it instead.

Panasonic 600U 50" Plasma
Maintenance Menu Adjusted (Perfectionist)
Mode Vivid,Standard,Cinema
Picture +20
Brightness +6
Color -3
Tint -6
Sharpness +10
Temp Warm
Everything Else Off
Old 08-14-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmak09 View Post

your experience is very similar to mine.
I initially thought that LCD had the better picture based off of store comparisons.

It was only after carefully comparing the two technologies in my home that I realized just how much better plasma looks.

It seems that most of those who believe that LCD has the better picture are basing thier decision on store comparisons or from Plasma models from years and years ago.
If they would take the time to do a real comparison and get their mind past the Fud and misinfo, They would come to the same conclusion most likely.

Thier are circumstances when LCD might be the better choice though.
For a computer monitor, theres no debate.
LCD does great with still images.
Also, LCD is the better choice for a room with a enormous amount of sunlight, even though no TV will look right under heavy sunlight.

But for movies, sports, games, etc (things with motion), LCD still has many issues.

I looked forever before I purchased my 50" Panny. At first the LCD's seemed to look better in store, but once I started looking past the initial color pop and brightness the in store LCD settings have and really looked for realistic colors with no blurring on fast motion the choice was clear. I would only buy an LCD for smaller TV's or where lighting directly in front of the screen was an issue. Why Plasma's aren't selling like LCD's in the store is mainly due to store setups that don't let the user see the product at it's best.

I stopped into a high end store before finally coming to this conclusion. The choice was made.

I am looking for a smaller LCD for another room thou, mainly for the light weight and smaller size availability.

Picture +20
Brightness +6
Color -3
Tint -6
Sharpness +10
Temp Warm
Everything Else Off
Old 08-14-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webdrifter View Post

Hello
I've been reading posts, and reading reviews over the past few weeks for what seems like hours on end, and still find myself somewhat confused about picture quality in todays new tv models verses the older crt tube sets. I currently have a 6 year old 36" Toshiba crt in my living room, and a 15 year old 26" curtis mathis in my basement. I'm wishing to replace my old basement tv with a new unit. I watch movies/sports 50% of the time and game on my xbox 360 50%. I'm considering two models at the present time, both of which are around $2000. The Samsung LN52A650 LCD or the Pioneer 2050 Plasma. Will either of the newer models have a lot better picture than my older Curtis Mathis or Toshiba crt units? I don't mean to come off as sounding ignorant, but I still read threads in forums where people still prefer gaming on their older crt systems.

Thanks

Consider the source, you are moving to an HD picture, the difference will be incredible on either set,.....But get the Plasma and get the biggest that will fit in your space.

Picture +20
Brightness +6
Color -3
Tint -6
Sharpness +10
Temp Warm
Everything Else Off
Old 08-27-2009, 02:02 PM

I want to game a lot and watch a lot of HD sports. I also want to connect my tv to my computer since I play a lot of online poker.

Right now I have the Sammy PN50b550 in my sights. With tax and 3 year full replacement against burn in or any other problem, they have priced me in at $1317.54 at Fry's Electronics.

Is there a better tv out there for what I want to do in the same price range? It seems like this is a really good deal but I'm apprehensive about hooking the plasma to the pc.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:35 PM

Is the LED backpanel LCD superior than the plasma?

If I have 2k budget on getting a 46-52" flat panel...what should I get?
Watch SD TV, HD TV, blu-ray, DVD....please advise.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:49 PM

Go with LCD. cheaper
Old 08-30-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusButt View Post

Go with LCD. cheaper

Is that the only reason?
Old 08-31-2009, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Are you really going to take the advice from a new poster whom you nothing about, especially a new poster going by the name of "MaximusButt"?

Besides, the one reason given by that poster is worthless because it's obviously false. Plasma is going to be cheaper than LCD in that size range. Now, there may be other reasons why LED LCD could be your best choice, but price isn't one of them. In general, I advise plasma unless you have a bright room or windows reflecting upon the screen. There may be other mitigating factors, depending upon your situation.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.