LCD or Plasma? Plasma or LCD? and why those Black Bars? Discuss it here only Please - Page 47 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

Old 12-04-2011, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Not all plasmas are better (oh boy flame time) than LEDs/LCDs.

The Panny GT30/ST30s are good value plasmas that could bring it to the LED/LCDs. D550s I believe and up form Samsung are the ones you could compare too. As for LG, no disrespect gents, but I believe they aren't known for the PQ.

I agree totally. LG plasmas don't compare well to Panny and Sammy.

As for "features" on a tv, the most important one, and always will be, picture quality, everything else is fluff and mostly irrelevant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2011, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexoren View Post

Power efficiency aside, are LED LCDs really better than CCFL LCDs?

I can say yes with local dimming. Without local dimming, about the same. LED without local dimming, the advantage would be better side viewing. The negative would be none uniformity in the brightness in black areas with clouding.

With local dimming, contrast is higher, blacks are blacker, colors are more accurate and little to no clouding.

The biggest benefit of LED is better side viewing but the panel also plays a big role in that. Mine has an IPS panel and it's side viewing is nearly as good as plasma and has no dimming or washing out of colors and contrast in my living room.

A side by side comparison is the only way but getting a dark room in a store to do this is impossible. Just make sure they have a good return policy without restock fees if they are to cheap to offer a dark viewing area, as HHGregg and Best Buy. Dedicated Home theater stores have dedicated auditioning rooms but their prices are steep.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:59 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolMETAL View Post

It seems Panasonic is the King of Plasmas as they don't even make any big screen LCD TVs, just plasmas.

Panasonic acquired Sanyo over two transactions in 2009 and 2010. It sold of rights to the Sanyo name recently to certain Asian countries but maintained it for a most other countries. Panasonic also had a number of LCD TVs displayed at the 2011 CES show, but not sure if they made it to the NA mrket.[/quote]

[quote=OldSchoolMETAL;21297767]Sanyo and such are the Chinese brand Funai.

Funai is a Japanese company.

Quote:

Store brands seem to clone LG and Samsung.

Quite the opposite. Store brands are manufactured by the Chinese companies you have never heard of, like Shenzhen MTC, Shenzhen Qiyue, Zhejiang Tianle, Top Victory, etc. These companies also manufacture certain models for the big brands as well. Hon Hai make a significant percentage of Sony TVs and will continue to make a larger share of Sony's TVs as the company continues to get beaten by the Korean giants.

Quote:

Large Screen LCD TVs though are made by several brands, Sony, Toshiba, LG, Visio, Samsung, Chinese no name made by Funai, Sharp, and Philips.

Philips-branded TVs are made by AmTRAN, a Taiwanese firm. Funai makes certain TVs for LG and other brands as well. The tier 3 TV market is pretty vicious - you have a dozen or two no-name Chinese manufacturers slapping together LCD/LED TVs and are willing to sell to whomever is willing to provide them a line of credit (they manufacture TVs on your dime; they never extend payment terms; if you don't provide them a line of credit, they can't buy parts and won't make TVs for you - pretty simple).

Top Victory is the #3 TV manufacturer. If you look at its last investor presentation, you'll see that its average ASP is just under $300 and gross margins are 4.1-5.3%. In other words, the manufacturer makes $12-14 per television. And to earn that they have to invest up from to build a big plant. Talk a bout a crappy business.

Quote:

BTW, LG may not be as favorable in Plasma but are a highend player in LCD. They have many TVs that have been reviewers favorites.

It's interesting to note that there are only about six manufacturers of LCD/LED flat panels for TVs. So the big brands are likely using panels from the same manufacturers that provide panels to the tier 3 TV brands. Same manufacturer, but different quality.

bigadandugly
Old 12-04-2011, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

It seems Panasonic is the King of Plasmas as they don't even make any big screen LCD TVs, just plasmas.

LG and their Zenith brand Plasmas haven't got the praise that Panasonic and Samsung have.

I'm not a fan of Samsungs reliability and DOA rate as I've seen plenty of problems. So I try to stay clear of their TVs, DVD players, Bluray players and VCRs. Phones are quite good though. Just my personal experiences.

Sanyo and such are the Chinese brand Funai. Store brands seem to clone LG and Samsung.

So there really isn't many Plasma TVs to go with other than the big 3, LG, Samsung and Panasonic.

Large Screen LCD TVs though are made by several brands, Sony, Toshiba, LG, Visio, Samsung, Chinese no name made by Funai, Sharp, and Philips.

So while LG may not be a favorite, it's still a large name in Plasma and perfectly suitable to compare.

BTW, LG may not be as favorable in Plasma but are a highend player in LCD. They have many TVs that have been reviewers favorites.

You gotta compare the same level of tvs. The low mid ends will probably all look alike. The high ends iswhere youll see a difference. I believe theres two kindsof peoplehere. Videophiles and value shoppers. Naturally we both are looking for different things in our tv`s :-)

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
Old 12-04-2011, 05:11 PM

Liked: 12
I look for picture quality that doesn't offer distractions as the Plasma ABL issue with Plasma TVs, poor black levels with LCDs that don't offer local dimming, good geometry, lack of noise, screen that doesn't reflect light to display a better contrast ratio, a display that produces a better contrast ratio, enough brightness to overcome light sources since this is not a projection system stuck away in a deep dark home theater room, Colors that are vibrant and accurate along with not being washed out, white levels to be high as to add 'pop' and a vivid picture, uniformity in brightness with all colors and shades, off center viewing quality, and shadow detail in black levels.

As long as the LED LCD TV's have local dimming, this can be accomplished. I still feel CRT technology is still the best as with my friends 2 Sony WEGA KV-40XBR800 TVs that I set up for him, along with his home theater audio system. But at $3200 for each, they are a hard pill to swallow.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Granted the CRT offered a wonderful picture, and for it's time that was enough. But today we all want something bigger, lighter, and wall hangable. I don't think that the problems you mention regarding plasmas is really a fair issue. From what I've read on many threads and posts here and other sites, these problems are not common at all. I agree with you the local dimming LCD TV's offer a superior picture but from what I've seen many edge lit and full array LED sets offer more than acceptable PQ.. For those looking for perfection, it will come at a price. For the majority there are some very good choices out there.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:57 AM

I want to buy a 60-inch LCD or Plasma. It will be used for watching movies, TV, and video games. I want good visual quality. I have a 42-inch Samsung LCD that I bought about 2-yrs ago and the picture quality is good, though I want better. Can anyone recommend some LCDs or LEDs or Plasmas in the 60 inch size? It will be hung on the wall.

Thanks!
Old 12-16-2011, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I'm looking for "that" same 60" TV.... want something at least as good as my 4 year old 50" Panny 50PX600U (very good PQ and sound). I'm guessing the TC-P60ST30 would be a good choice, but the Sharp Quattron LED's I've looked at look very nice! Christmas is getting too close... panic!
Old 12-18-2011, 08:49 AM

Hey guys. Rather new to the flat screen game... Been doing some research and here is where I'm at:

Looking for a 60 inch or so TV. The room that it would be placed in is very bright - lots of windows. I thought this would force me to go with an LCD/LED panel, however, I've been told that some Plasmas have taken care of the glare issue? Can anyone speak to this?

Thanks!
Old 12-21-2011, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 221
If you cannot control lighting then a LCD is the better choice. Even some of the newer LCD are using more reflective screens and that is your main concern. Plasma or LCD will both provide a stunning picture. Anti reflective screen coating are weak at best, especially in a really bright room. Your job is to choose the best technology that will live best in your specific lighting environment. If you are going to be a rather demanding TV watcher then you should start out by preparing your room for optimum light control. Heavy drapes, heavy blinds, plantation shutters. When watching any TV, light is your enemy. Next, decide if you want 3D. Next choose a budget. If the budget allows for the extra cost of 3D then get it even if you don't care about it. For a 60" my choices would include the new Sharp Quad displays and Panasonic's ST/GT/VT series.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:23 PM

New poster and thankful for any help someone can provide.
Getting close to purchasing a new display and for the past week I thought I was positive on a 55"gt30 plasma. Most things about it seem awesome (especially if I get a post August build.) The more I read in the dedicated plasma threads people talk of the importance of running slides and breaking in for at least 100 hrs, and then easy use up to 1000. Now the more I think on it I really have to factor in my usage. 25% HD cable and blu ray, and 75% HTPC, although the HTPC is used about half of the time to watch full screen video. I don't really want to go 1000 hours before even being able to turn on my pc, but I also do not want to ruin a new investment. So now I'm looking at Sammy's UN557000l / UN8000y in addition to the GT. The only thing keeping me on the GT is that I have used an old 720p Hitachi plasma (HDS69 I think which was never broken in in the first place) as a monitor for years now without a problem of IR or burn in, and the tech seems to have progressed since then anyway. If anyone can steer me based on my usage (and admitted impatience) I'd greatly appreciate it, and also 7000 vs 8000, worth just an insignificant bit more investment if I go the LCD route?
Old 01-10-2012, 06:35 PM

Hi All,

I'm considering a TV upgrade from my current 40' 720P Panasonic. I'm pretty happy with everything but the size on my current set, and am heavily leaning towards a 60' plasma.

My brother's TV has an extremely annoying synchronization issue between video and audio. Basically, people's lips don't move correctly, which drives me nuts. My guess is there is a lag on image processing for the TV. I don't have any issues like this with my current setup, and would not tolerate it in an upgrade. Since I will be using an external amplifier, how does one make certain to avoid this?

Thanks,

Paul
Old 01-11-2012, 11:27 AM

Most newer AVRs have a delay adjustment. If your AVR or whatever you are using for an amp doesnt have a delay adjustment, you'd have to live with it or find other options, of which I have no idea what they are.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nm

hh
Old 01-17-2012, 01:58 PM

So I've been creeping for a while and never signed up to post but I'm now in need of some advice and havent been able to make a decision from what i've been able to search for.

I want suggestions for what to get. Im looking for something in the 47"-60" range. My room can be very bright during the day but I have Heavy drapes I'll put up if I buy a glossy screen. I have no interest in apps or wifi and could not care less about 3D. I will play lots of video games on this tv so and input lag is a nono. The last tv I had was an LG 60pv450. LOVED the size/price but had a pixel go dead after 3 months. I'm indifferent to LED or Plasma so long as its under/around $1300.

Please give a reasoning why you think the tv will work for me, dont just suggest what you own.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:22 AM

The black bars are a result of the prgram you are watching being enhanced and not true 1080p HD. Anytime a program has them, you know it's been enhanced. Some TVs will adjust and remove them such as the bose videowave, but not all will do this. Today's standard is 1080p and even the producers of programs are at this level.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcalvano View Post

I'm kind of in the same boat as you are. Currently an LCD owner thinking of making the move to Plasma(just can't resist the great prices).
Check out this chart, http://hdguru.com/wp-content/uploads...ance_chart.pdf, might help you out a bit on your viewing distance question. Various forum sponsors are selling 42" Panny plasmas for a few c-notes less than your budget, with a great warranty to boot.

I read they had some buzzing problems in the sound with those 42" models.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 18
...as for the lighting issues everyone is talking about, have you ever seen a movie Theaters that had windows? No, complete darkness. So if your "Serious" about your TV experience, you should be just as serious about your room your putting it in. The room I have my Plasma in a totally dark room, just like at the Theaters.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw5599 View Post

Most newer AVRs have a delay adjustment. If your AVR or whatever you are using for an amp doesnt have a delay adjustment, you'd have to live with it or find other options, of which I have no idea what they are.

That is good to know, as I use caption and lipreading to watch TV as I'm nearly deaf. I have my sound on LOUD as to feel it.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack54 View Post

...as for the lighting issues everyone is talking about, have you ever seen a movie Theaters that had windows? No, complete darkness. So if your "Serious" about your TV experience, you should be just as serious about your room your putting it in. The room I have my Plasma in a totally dark room, just like at the Theaters.

Every Movie Theater I've been in have lights that are always on.

HH
Old 02-02-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerHarley View Post

HH

You know what I meant...
Your one of those who like to argue.
Like if one said it is a sunny day, if there are a couple puffy clouds in the sky, you will say it is a cloudy day, not sunny.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerHarley View Post

HH

Quote:

You know what I meant...
Your one of those who like to argue.
Like if one said it is a sunny day, if there are a couple puffy clouds in the sky, you will say it is a cloudy day, not sunny.

Do some research on back-lighting, especially with plasma.

I have three plasmas, all have back-lights, in my SERIOUS dedicated HT, I have a projector + ambient light as well.

I'm not tying to pick a fight, just stating the facts about complete darkness in movie theaters, maybe some day you'll agree, darkness is not preferred, especially with plasma.

By the way it's cloudy here today-->

HH
Old 02-05-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batou370 View Post

New poster and thankful for any help someone can provide.
Getting close to purchasing a new display and for the past week I thought I was positive on a 55"gt30 plasma. Most things about it seem awesome (especially if I get a post August build.) The more I read in the dedicated plasma threads people talk of the importance of running slides and breaking in for at least 100 hrs, and then easy use up to 1000. Now the more I think on it I really have to factor in my usage. 25% HD cable and blu ray, and 75% HTPC, although the HTPC is used about half of the time to watch full screen video. I don't really want to go 1000 hours before even being able to turn on my pc, but I also do not want to ruin a new investment.

Honestly breaking in a plasma is a piece of cake. Just run a break in dvd while you're at work and sleeping...you can use to watch TV during the break in period, just be sure to watch for static images. Turn it off to let it rest for an hour after work, in one week you'll easily have the 100 hours.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:24 PM

I've had three Plasma and never had to do the so-called break in.
I don't want to waste my TV lifespan.
Never had a problem... I think this is just over protection from the old days when Plasma had those burn in problems. A waste of time.
I just watch regular shows & DVD's.
...and I watch in near complete darkness, about the same amount of light you see in movie theaters.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Never had a problem... I think this is just over protection from the old days when Plasma had those burn in problems. A waste of time.
...and I watch in near complete darkness, about the same amount of light you see in movie theaters.

I didn't know Plasma had gotten rid of the burn in problems--> Thanks for the Scoop.

Your turn to Fire, from the Dark Side-->

HH
Old 02-05-2012, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

What I did was just watch regular content too. Any 2.35 stuff I zoomed for the first 200 hours. My calibrator told me to stay away from 2.35 for the first few days so that's what I did!

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
Old 03-13-2012, 07:42 AM

Well I just pulled the trigger on the Samsung PN 64" D8000. I am mounting in a room that is roughly 16'x12'. It will go in the center of the 16' wall opposite a sectional leather couch and a new lounge-y type chair. It will be hooked up to HD TWC in NYC, a PS3 and an Xbox 360.

Going to go explore my sound options now without getting overly complex.

Will let everyone know how it is once it is set up.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:28 PM

Surprised nobody even mentions DLP. I've been researching for my next TV and I'm leaning that way. If you need a smaller screen or must have a really thin TV for some reason it's not an option..but otherwise it seems to have as good or better(but different) PQ than LCD/Plasma, can get huge screens that are actually big enough at an amazing price.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady12 View Post

Surprised nobody even mentions DLP. I've been researching for my next TV and I'm leaning that way. If you need a smaller screen or must have a really thin TV for some reason it's not an option..but otherwise it seems to have as good or better(but different) PQ than LCD/Plasma, can get huge screens that are actually big enough at an amazing price.

It's interesting...I am in the same boat. I am wanting bigger screen than my 50" Pioneer, so I have started the quest....I am heading towards the Mitsu Laservue.....

So many options....Will I wind up with the right one is the question!
Old 03-31-2012, 02:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady12 View Post

Nobody is talking about DLP in this thread because it's a Flat Panel forum. If you want to discuss DLP you need to go to the Rear Projection forum. Here is a link.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=63

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.