LCD or Plasma? Plasma or LCD? and why those Black Bars? Discuss it here only Please - Page 49 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1441 of 1451 Old 05-06-2014, 12:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by msantti View Post

"I have noticed this is Plasma Country! I have a Plasma but LCD (LED) is the way I am going from now on! Too many issues with plasma! Plus , plasma is a done deal in another year or so! (from a very , very reliable source, by the way)"

Another year plus has gone by and I am enjoying my brand new Samsung PN60E7000 60" plasma TV. biggrin.gif

What's that about plasma?

I want to know who your contact was because it seems he was correct after all. What does everyone think now that its not that far from a year later and we have lost so many excellent makers of Plasma televisions with so many more dropping?

Im really sad that Pioneer and Panasonic have dropped.their production. Samsung is dropping plasma this year.

So is OLED going to be able to produce as good @ = $? I hated LCD and LED for gaming. The ghosting was absolutely horrendous. DOes OLED have this same issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1451 Old 06-04-2014, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonKENy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by msantti View Post

"I have noticed this is Plasma Country! I have a Plasma but LCD (LED) is the way I am going from now on! Too many issues with plasma! Plus , plasma is a done deal in another year or so! (from a very , very reliable source, by the way)"

Another year plus has gone by and I am enjoying my brand new Samsung PN60E7000 60" plasma TV. biggrin.gif

What's that about plasma?

I want to know who your contact was because it seems he was correct after all. What does everyone think now that its not that far from a year later and we have lost so many excellent makers of Plasma televisions with so many more dropping?

Im really sad that Pioneer and Panasonic have dropped.their production. Samsung is dropping plasma this year.

So is OLED going to be able to produce as good @ = $? I hated LCD and LED for gaming. The ghosting was absolutely horrendous. DOes OLED have this same issue?

Yep.

post #1443 of 1451 Old 06-04-2014, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Sure, if you ignore the nuance of how faster response times affect motion blur perceptions and the prospect of panels with much higher framerates coming later this year.
post #1444 of 1451 Old 06-04-2014, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Sure, if you ignore the nuance of how faster response times affect motion blur perceptions and the prospect of panels with much higher framerates coming later this year.

What if the OLED/LCD frame rate issues aren't resolved?

post #1445 of 1451 Old 06-04-2014, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Annoying (to some more than others) but won't be the end of the world. Time marches on, even in imperfection. Samsung mitigated it with black frame insertion with their RGB product. The forthcoming sets from LG are capable of greater brightness than their predecessors if we believe the patents and reported developments. I wouldn't have a year ago because I thought the Koreans were bluffing, but I can hardly say I feel the same way about LG now.
post #1446 of 1451 Old 07-09-2014, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Why do we have display technologies that aren't worth a hoot when it comes to gaming and motion resolution? Why does inferiority like that exist? Why do the display manufacturers hate gamers and produce inferior technologies? Why do people here apologize for them?

Pray that OLED gets better and brings some light to the darkness of the world wrought by the LCD only Apocalypse!
Morning5 and ChadThunder like this.
post #1447 of 1451 Old 07-09-2014, 05:55 PM

Location: Living On A MAGIC Roller Coaster Ride In My Room With My Tweaked out Stereo System !....
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood View Post
Why do we have display technologies that aren't worth a hoot when it comes to gaming and motion resolution? Why does inferiority like that exist? Why do the display manufacturers hate gamers and produce inferior technologies? Why do people here apologize for them?

Pray that OLED gets better and brings some light to the darkness of the world wrought by the LCD only Apocalypse!
I'm going to pray for OLED TV's to still be here in 6 years when I buy my next TV !
post #1448 of 1451 Old 07-10-2014, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Pray for laser phosphor displays, pray for SED, pray for the blind to be cured!
post #1449 of 1451 Old 08-28-2014, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm getting a new TV this weekend. A 55 or 60". I am shooting to spend up to $1500 on the TV. I'd love to spend $700 but that decision is requirements driven. Yes, I'll spend more than 41500 but only for a very good reason.

I'll be replacing a 7 year old or so 42" Panny plasma that is some weird native resolution but about 720p.

Still deciding on LCD vs Plasma which is why I am posting here.

The TV will be used for movies and games. I have a nice stereo that I love and I intend to pick up a PS4 at the time of the new TV purchase so gaming is important.

What should I do?

I need to support:
2 - composite inputs
1 - component input
3 - HDMI

Instead of hinting at what I am leaning towards I ask for this forums infinite wisdom. FWIW, I intend on buying the TV this weekend during the labor day sales that will be going on (*cough* Best Buy *cough*) granted the model I want might not be on sale. I don't care if it is on sale really so long as it is in my budget range.

Oh ... it may sound strange but the TV can't sound like piss out of the box. I normally use the TV speakers for watching TV and gaming. The stereo is a movie only kind of thing. Audio outs that I can pipe to my receiver would be nice though!

Much thanks in advance! I'll be watching the thread closely.

EDIT: I should add that I love the black level on my Panny.

Last edited by kherman; 08-28-2014 at 09:41 PM.
post #1450 of 1451 Old 08-30-2014, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by kherman View Post
I'm getting a new TV this weekend. A 55 or 60". I am shooting to spend up to $1500 on the TV. I'd love to spend $700 but that decision is requirements driven. Yes, I'll spend more than 41500 but only for a very good reason.

I'll be replacing a 7 year old or so 42" Panny plasma that is some weird native resolution but about 720p.

Still deciding on LCD vs Plasma which is why I am posting here.

The TV will be used for movies and games. I have a nice stereo that I love and I intend to pick up a PS4 at the time of the new TV purchase so gaming is important.

What should I do?

I need to support:
2 - composite inputs
1 - component input
3 - HDMI

Instead of hinting at what I am leaning towards I ask for this forums infinite wisdom. FWIW, I intend on buying the TV this weekend during the labor day sales that will be going on (*cough* Best Buy *cough*) granted the model I want might not be on sale. I don't care if it is on sale really so long as it is in my budget range.

Oh ... it may sound strange but the TV can't sound like piss out of the box. I normally use the TV speakers for watching TV and gaming. The stereo is a movie only kind of thing. Audio outs that I can pipe to my receiver would be nice though!

Much thanks in advance! I'll be watching the thread closely.

EDIT: I should add that I love the black level on my Panny.
Just grab up one of the Samsung Plasmas that are still hanging arround. No LCD in your price range can touch em.

post #1451 of 1451 Old 09-01-2014, 12:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello everyone I've been lurking on the forums for awhile now trying to soak up as much info as possible. However I'd like a bit of help with an upcoming TV purchase.

I'm looking to finally get a living room size tv to replace my 32" LG led. We are currently living with family so the room the tv will be going in now isn't permanent nor do I have an idea of where it might be located in the future. I just know this is going to be the main TV for the next 5 to 10 years. I watch a lot of movies and TV shows streamed through netflix sprinkled in with a good amount of gaming.

I'm looking at 2 different sets. The 64" Samsung F8500 and the 65" Samsung HU9000. I'm in an unique situation where both of these TVs are within my price range and only $500 separate them (1100 for the plasma and 1600 for the 4k)

I view both TVs on a daily basis and have found features I like in both. I've adored the PQ of 4k content however I've noticed a good bit of motion blurring on all of Samsung's HU TVs. There's no worry with motion on the Plasma however I lose out on the 4k. Just wanted to get some insight from the people on the forums before I decided.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page