FAQ & RULES LINKS_ Plasma & Panasonic Plasma FAQ - Read First! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1295 Old 01-22-2005, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bruzzi,
Thanks for helping out. Now that i recall i first read that comment on your site. I was using auto and as soon i switched to standard i saw a big difference. Bye the way GREAT site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1295 Old 01-22-2005, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks specgeorge.
post #93 of 1295 Old 01-23-2005, 05:59 AM

I am about to buy a Panasonic 507UY for home use and have a couple of questions regarding connections if anyone can help. I looked at the manual someone posted and as I read it appears that for my components, slot two of the monitor would allow me to use one RBG connection (using the adapters to the BNC inputs) and one S Video. I plan to run a HD STB and an HD DVD player into the monitor and given the issues I have read about with the S-Video connection I don't want to use S-Video. Right now I have a Samsung DLP set and I am running the receiver and DVD player into two available RBG input ports and I am running the STB directly into the monitor using a DVI connection. My question is could I run the STB and DVD player into the receiver and and run them both into the Panny RBG port from the receiver? If I can will that impact the picture quality? If I cannot and I don't want to use S-Video what additional video card would be best to add into slot 1 so I can have additional RBG inputs and a DVI input? I have heard that DVI cards are hard to come by at the moment.

Thanks for the help.
post #94 of 1295 Old 01-23-2005, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The VGA input also accepts Component signals. You just need to get a Component/VGA cable :

So out-of-the-box, the "7UY" Models have 1 S-Video/Composite input - 2 Components inputs and the free slot that can be used with a DVI or HDMI Board (Or any other).

Here's an illustration of the inputs:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...chmentid=31237
post #95 of 1295 Old 01-23-2005, 07:25 AM

BruZZi: Thanks very much for the illustration, it is much better than what was in the manual. I also didn't realize there was a VGA/Component cable available. That along with the HDMI/DVI card for the free slot should handle all my needs. Thanks for the help!
post #96 of 1295 Old 01-23-2005, 10:24 AM

BruZZi,

I noticed that Slot 2 has 1 S-Video and 2 Composites.

Does that represent seperate 2 video inputs meaning:

1 Composite input and
1 Composite OR S-Video input

Thanks so much for your help.

Do you work for Panasonic?

Nick

Every day I beat my own previous record for the number of consecutive
days I've stayed alive. - George Carlin - 1996
post #97 of 1295 Old 01-23-2005, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ncsercs
BruZZi,
I noticed that Slot 2 has 1 S-Video and 2 Composites.
Does that represent seperate 2 video inputs meaning:
1 Composite input and
1 Composite OR S-Video input

It's actually 1 Composite input and 1 Composite output.

Quote:
Thanks so much for your help.

You're Very Welcome

Quote:
Do you work for Panasonic?

Nope.

Just a regular Panasonic Plasma owner.
post #98 of 1295 Old 01-23-2005, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
HI BruZZi, I sent you a PM.

PS. Thanks for the info re: pict mode settings. Other than the factory settings for brightness and contrast for these modes there is also underlying diffrences between them. Gamma being on of them.....but what else.

BTW what is your website that has been referred to?
post #99 of 1295 Old 01-24-2005, 09:09 AM

Not so sure about my Panasonic 50HD7U plasma and upconversion via HDMI connection. Ordered the card and installed it. Tried a feed from my new toshiba DVD 592 and everything was wildly magenta. So skewed that I didn't even attempt to calibrate. Thought it might be the player. So I did a feed from HDMI out of my cable box. No picture at all this time. Tried a new cable, same results.

Called supplier where I got the card and they felt it was unlikely the card failing and that there had been some "issues" with source devices and compatibility with HDMI input on Panny plasma display.

Okay. Returned player to Best Buy, got the only other HDMI compatibale DVD player they're carrying, another Toshiba, the 5970 (with assurances it could be returned.) Also called cable company and asked them about HDMI output and their experiences. All very new, they said, but should be working. He "reset" my tuner remotely and suggested I try again.

Hooked up 5970 via HDMI and got a reall picture this time. Connected cable tuner via HDMI and got a picture, although a bit quirky in when it decides to appear or not.

The killer is: now that I have both connections kinda working, the PQ improvement is marginal at best. (Yes, even after calibration).

My impression is an analog 480p signal upconverted by the display is still better than an analog signal upconverted by either of these DVD players and sent as a digital signal to the Panny plasma display. (Not to mention that the zoom and aspect functions of the Panny are far superior as well).

Will probably take the new Toshiba player back (since functionally and the build quality are marginal at best.) Will replace with a quality progressive DVD player and wait for HD DVD.
post #100 of 1295 Old 01-24-2005, 10:07 AM

BruZZi: a f/u question to a post from peg120785. is there a downside to using the receiver as the central unit to run component cables from dvd and cable STB - then running one set of component to the component RGB on the 7uy? I was planning on this approach to avoid more than one connection to the display. the receiver has plenty of component inputs available and a compnent monitor out. thanks.

tony
post #101 of 1295 Old 01-24-2005, 10:19 AM

I second (or third) acastel's question. My preferred approach to wiring would be through the compnent switching capabilities of my Onkyo sr800. I planned on trying that and then a direct connection to the TV from my to be acquired sa8300HD box from cable. It should be easy to see if there is a noticable difference between the two. I would also wire my non DVI and non progressive Panasonic dvd/vcr player through that connection (dvd to be upgraded in a few months).

Since the sa8300hd STB has hdmi and my future dvd player would have dvi or hdmi presumably I figured I'd order a dvi or hdmi blade to populate the empty slot from your diagram. I would be able to use that blade for the STB if I wasn't satisfied with component switched by the receiver or straight component, and also have the or the dvd player I would get later.

Since I don't foresee using the audio on the TV HDMI would only be for potential future use I guess and I am assuming the HDMI adds sound to the DVI blade without sacrificing video. Assuming HDMI and DVI are same price HDMI is a no brainer no sacrifice better blade?

Any advice on whether DVI or hdmi blade would be better for me knowing my plans?
post #102 of 1295 Old 01-24-2005, 10:22 AM

acastel:

I am interested in the answer to this too. I would much prefer running only one set of RBG cables to the monitor from the receiver since it will hang above the fireplace and I have some walls to get through. But if it is going to have a significant effect on picture quality, I'll run more cables to the monitor.

peg120785
post #103 of 1295 Old 01-24-2005, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by peg120785
acastel:

I am interested in the answer to this too. I would much prefer running only one set of RBG cables to the monitor from the receiver since it will hang above the fireplace and I have some walls to get through. But if it is going to have a significant effect on picture quality, I'll run more cables to the monitor.

peg120785

My worry, given your configuration, would be that future STBs, due to hollywood's paranoia, will limit HD output to only copy-protected interfaces (HDCP - DVI or HDMI). If this were to happen, you'd need to take the plasma down and string another cable to get HD resolutions. IMO, it would be cheap insurance to run the DVI/HDMI cable now, even if you don't use it or even buy the blade for the plasma.
post #104 of 1295 Old 01-24-2005, 11:36 AM

jMerryman: I hadn't thought of that, but you may well be right and since I am already in the wall due to a remodel, it is probably best to at least run the cable now. I have a DVI card on back order, but not sure I will get it before we hand the plasma.

Thanks.
post #105 of 1295 Old 01-24-2005, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by acastel
BruZZi: a f/u question to a post from peg120785. is there a downside to using the receiver as the central unit to run component cables from dvd and cable STB - then running one set of component to the component RGB on the 7uy? I was planning on this approach to avoid more than one connection to the display. the receiver has plenty of component inputs available and a compnent monitor out. thanks.

tony

The Receiver must have enough bandwidth to do the switching.
The minimum required for HD is around 35 MHz. Less than this there would be a visible degradation on the picture. I believe most Receivers now have 50 MHZ or more of bandwidth but check the specs just in case.

The only downside switching thru a Receiver is that you won't have different picture settings for each input. This is very useful IMO as you can set different Brightness/Contrast/Pic Mode, etc for each source. That's it.
post #106 of 1295 Old 01-24-2005, 07:21 PM

Bruzzi you gotta stop scaring me... 'TX-SR800's video connectivity. The video circuitry includes composite to S-Video conversion, and 50 MHz professional grade component video switching for excellent performance with HDTV systems.
' I am relieved after my frenzied search to ensure my $800 receiver doesn't have to be replaced.

I still have options - nice!
post #107 of 1295 Old 01-24-2005, 08:08 PM

Thanks BruZZi. I'm looking at the Yamaha RX-V750 which has 5Hz to 60MHz, -3dB on Component monitor out. Sounds like this should do it. Appreciate the advice on settings I can always go the other route later if this doesn't do it for me. Thanks again.
post #108 of 1295 Old 01-24-2005, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Bruzzi,

Sorry to nag you on this issue...but can you tell me how to change picture mode settings (cinema, dynamic, standard etc) while in service menu?

....thats if it is possible at all...

Thanks heaps

Steve....
post #109 of 1295 Old 01-25-2005, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oops, Sorry Steffche. I totally forgot about you.

Unfortunately the only thing I cannot help is with a service menu. I spend so much time search the net for info , I never really had a time to play with the service menu. Sorry.

Try the UK Based www.avforums.com

http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82

Someone might help you with that info there.

Gotta go to work now. Talk to you later.
post #110 of 1295 Old 01-27-2005, 05:42 PM

Just ordered the HD7UY

Cant wait. Now I need to get prepared. I have 3 things I want to run to the monitor:

1. HDTV Motorolla STB
2. XBOX
3. HTPC

I want to use VGA for the HTPC.

I will be using component for the other 2. I assume since Im using the VGA for the computer, I will need to do some component switching via my pre-amp.

That being said, I looked at the pic of what comes with the panny stock and it looks like the component in "SLOT 2" are BNC connectors or am I seeing things and its RCA? Is that the case? If so it looks like Ill have to go out and purchase some cables...

I assume they make BNC-RCA component cables if I need them?

Thanks!

EDIT: After looking around for a couple more hours I found the answer to my question. Since I have the commercial model, its BNC connectors. Looks like Ill be making a cable purchase
post #111 of 1295 Old 01-28-2005, 03:26 AM

aprather:

I also just ordered the 507UY. I ordered from Visual Apex and in talking with the nice sales lady she told me that while you are right, slot 2 does come with BNC ports, the set will have a package of RCA adapters packed with it. So you may want to check with whoever you bought from and see if you need to buy new cables or not. Good luck and let us know how you like it after you get set up.

Chip
post #112 of 1295 Old 01-28-2005, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by peg120785
aprather:

I also just ordered the 507UY. I ordered from Visual Apex and in talking with the nice sales lady she told me that while you are right, slot 2 does come with BNC ports, the set will have a package of RCA adapters packed with it. So you may want to check with whoever you bought from and see if you need to buy new cables or not. Good luck and let us know how you like it after you get set up.

Chip

Peg -

Thanks very much for that info!

I too ordered from Visual Apex. So maybe Im in luck

I was about to order some canare cable and some ends today to get my cables made up before it gets here... maybe I dont need to now

Thanks again!
post #113 of 1295 Old 01-28-2005, 11:28 AM

My 7Uy didn't come with adapters (didn't purchase from Visual Apex). I bought custom size component cables from AV-Cables.Net (http://www.av-cables.net/componentvi...ent-video.html) this link should take you directly to the BNC/RCA page. Two day ground shipping - I had no problem with my order. Good luck with the set up.
post #114 of 1295 Old 01-28-2005, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Radio Shack sells BNC/RCA adapters.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...t%5Fid=278-303
post #115 of 1295 Old 02-01-2005, 12:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
In case anyone is interested, here's a link to where you can order: Panasonic Parts and Accessories Online.

You can also order parts, service manuals and service literature by calling: 1-800-528-6747.

FYI, the TH-50PHD7UY service manual is about 25 bucks + shipping.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is." - Yogi Berra
post #116 of 1295 Old 02-02-2005, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Bruzzi,
Can you help me out ? Ive had my 37pd25ed panney for 3 weeks now and and very happy with it. While watching tv with the sound on low i could hear a buzzing/humming sound, i thought it was my refrigerator. when i put my ears to the speakers i could hear the buzzing coming from the speakers. Also while changing channels a couple of times i heard some popping crackling noise. any comments would be appreciated.
post #117 of 1295 Old 02-02-2005, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by specgeorge
Bruzzi,
Can you help me out ? Ive had my 37pd25ed panney for 3 weeks now and and very happy with it. While watching tv with the sound on low i could hear a buzzing/humming sound, i thought it was my refrigerator. when i put my ears to the speakers i could hear the buzzing coming from the speakers. Also while changing channels a couple of times i heard some popping crackling noise. any comments would be appreciated.

Most likely "Ground Loop" . Try to disconnect the cable/satellite connection (coax) to see (hear ) if the problem goes away. If it does, do a search for "Ground Loop" . I have some great links discussing about this topic but unfortunately I don't know where I put them. I've been upgrading the FAQ, my computer is a mess with many links and photos all over. If the hum/buzzing persist, try to unplug the other connections one-by-one to see where the problem comes from. It could also be a poor shielded cable.

post #118 of 1295 Old 02-03-2005, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
If my calculations are correct:

Cool - 11500K
Normal - 8900K
Warm / Studio (hidden) - 6500K / 3200K

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is." - Yogi Berra
post #119 of 1295 Old 02-03-2005, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks Bruzzi, i will get on it right away.
post #120 of 1295 Old 02-03-2005, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I just picked up a TH-50PX25UP 2 days ago and I have no clue where to start to maximize the feature and clarity of this TV. I have the Avia dvd that I can use to calibrate but the sources that I'm using aren't exactly par with this tv...

I mostly use a FTA reciever and the best thing it has is S-Video...
For DVD I have a 400 disc sony DVD changer and I'm gonna hook it up via component cables
I'll be putting together an HTPC and run winxp media and use this for my main OTA source and other things this must be hooked up via the VGA but the problem with this is that the VGA port is in the front.. this TV doesn't have a DVI port but it does have an HDMI port which I absolutely have no clue what to use with it.
And lastly I have a standard VCR and I doubt that I'll get significant better picture if I bought an S-VHS player would I?

For sound I have a Denon AVR-3802 which has that video switching that everyone's talking about I have no clue what that is but the reciever does have component in and component out. Enough inputs to handle all of my sources... should I hook up everything to the VCR then to the tv or is it better to go direct to the tv and us the AVR strictly for sound? This is y first time getting into HD and I'm totally clueless...

One thing I learn in the past few days is that I can pick up local OTA HD channels. I bought the Terk TV5 and the TV55 but not getting very good result... called terk and they recommended the TV38 and they told me I'll be able to get all the HD stations and all the locals in the SF Bay Area. I think something like 19 digital stations and 29 analog.

Also I hear something a boule a doubler or a video scaler?
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page