post #181 of 276 Old 03-29-2011, 12:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by xedap1998 View Post

really? i wasnt aware of that. Can you kinda point me to the right forum?

My guess is you need to contact the forum owners, and ask them. They have a marketplace area, but that is not for trying to setup something like a group buy, it is for the actual offer of selling items by both private parties and dealers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 276 Old 03-29-2011, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No1 ever set up a group buy on here before?
post #183 of 276 Old 03-31-2011, 05:22 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 316
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/annou...php?f=40&a=119

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the AVS Club and help support the site. Help Support AVS Forum Sponsors.
post #184 of 276 Old 04-04-2011, 10:41 PM

After several months of searching i have found a mount that work perfectly for the fireplace. It come out and drop down to eye level..Perfect solutions for fireplace mounting. Does anyone in here have any regret mounting the tv on top of the fireplace?
post #185 of 276 Old 06-23-2011, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I mounted my PDP above the fireplace in my Great Room. It looks awesome. And I've discovered I actually prefer it being elevated as opposed to eye level.
post #186 of 276 Old 08-06-2011, 06:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Just another reason these are a really bad idea;
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1349763

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #187 of 276 Old 08-08-2011, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Guess I have no idea what that has to do with this thread? It is a bad mount, so you are saying never mount a TV more then 2' off the floor, but wait a baby could still crawl under it.......
post #188 of 276 Old 08-08-2011, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

So you are posting a rant against articulating arm mounts on a thread about whether it is uncomfortable to view a TV above a fireplace (due to the height)?

Most people don't use articulating arm mounts when mounting the TV above their fireplace. They use a standard wall mount. Wall mounts are extremely safe and if properly installed, will never come down. I personally have a TV mounted over my fireplace and having a TV there has given me many years of pleasurable TV viewing. So much so, that this year I replaced my 43" with a 59" Sammy. I also have a 61" mounted at the "proper" height and now find it uncomfortable to view the TV at that height. I find having it higher makes it easier to view in a somewhat reclined viewing position.
post #189 of 276 Old 09-05-2011, 03:34 PM

Liked: 11
I have my 59 sammy above my fireplace. No issues for us... and my mount is articulating but built like a tank....and we really have not articulated it... but can if we want.
post #190 of 276 Old 02-16-2012, 10:20 PM

I posted a photo in this thread when i first set this up.

Yesterday I just got this new tv mounted. Its a slight step up from what I originally had. I'm running a Panasonic TC-P55S30 now, originally a Hitachi P50S601.

This one is about half as deep. The tilting will improve once I get my right angled hdmi adapter...
post #191 of 276 Old 02-19-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleM View Post

But what about the heat that emits from the fireplace?
I would worry about the eat coming & hitting the back of the lowered TV.

That's one reason for not putting the TV over the mantle. There are at least three good reasons not to site it there.

1. The heat issue, as mentioned, that might damage the TV; plus the matter of all of the airborne crud that sneaks up and out of the fireplace to dirty up the screen.

2. Looking up at the screen over a fireplace is like sitting in the front row at a movie theater -- not very comfortable

3. Consider how stupid it looks when it is turned off and is sitting sitting there as a blank, gray blob in what might otherwise be a focal point of the room.

JER
post #192 of 276 Old 02-19-2012, 08:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 121
4. To hard to access the inputs & cables when changes & problem occur (and they will),
5. You have to bury those cables, fish them and hope all of that can be done effectively and be able to repair all the damage to those new chalk & paper walls (drywall).

I wouldn't place anything I can't get at easily. Period!

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #193 of 276 Old 02-20-2012, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Reeve View Post

That's one reason for not putting the TV over the mantle. There are at least three good reasons not to site it there.

1. The heat issue, as mentioned, that might damage the TV; plus the matter of all of the airborne crud that sneaks up and out of the fireplace to dirty up the screen.

2. Looking up at the screen over a fireplace is like sitting in the front row at a movie theater -- not very comfortable

3. Consider how stupid it looks when it is turned off and is sitting sitting there as a blank, gray blob in what might otherwise be a focal point of the room.

1) Have wood burning fire place that use very regual and no issues with heat to the TV, been that way for 3 years now. So check that one off your list.

2) Could be depending on how close you are to the TV. For us we are far enough away not to be an issue. Took a little getting use to but it frees up a ton of floor space not having another piece of furnature for the TV and equipment.

3) No stupider then anywhere else. Actually when we have get togethers we play screen savers with high quality art or family pictures. Every one loves seeing it scroll through old family stuff.

4) Never taken it down since putting it up, 3 years again.

5) Cabling all ran through a 2-1/2" conduit behind the TV. Zero cable mess to look at, looks way better then most I see sitting on a TV stand with a wad of cables behind it.
post #194 of 276 Old 02-20-2012, 09:55 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Reeve View Post

1) The heat is usually NOT an issue unless you are misusing your fireplace or have a problem with it. Yes some (a little) more cleaning is needed but you are way off base (does the wall paint above the fireplace need painting every month / year? - NO it does not - Does the white ceiling paint get black and cruddy quickly - NO it does not.

2)WRONG again. Front row at theater and distance to screen and height of screen would put you at ~ 56.3 to 68.2 degrees. (20' out by 30' up to 12' out) yet above the fireplace is ~ 29.7 to 38.6 degrees (10' out by 8' high to 14' out). Thats a HUGE difference.

3) Mine looks awesome - received many compliments. Yes that is a PREFERENCE thing and you may not agree but its NOT a reason to not put it there if you dont agree (or even if you do and need the room).
post #195 of 276 Old 02-20-2012, 10:03 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

4. To hard to access the inputs & cables when changes & problem occur (and they will),
5. You have to bury those cables, fish them and hope all of that can be done effectively and be able to repair all the damage to those new chalk & paper walls (drywall).

I wouldn't place anything I can't get at easily. Period!

4) Too hard? Your set is an OUTPUT device. What does it need? HDMI. Access is easy from many mounts (easier than the 6 other HDTVs I have). What problems will occur with the cable? I have had many problems with devices none with a quality cable.

5) Yes you do. Yes it will take a little effort and time to do it right. Once done it looks AWESOME, and is easy to work with ( How do they get the water from your bathroom to the outside? PVC pipe (could be something else if older but you should get the point). Those are likely in everyone's walls but somehow it cant be done for this? You only have to go up the wall in between studs and then 90 degree turn and go through maybe 3 studs. Not a huge project and the result is neater than most I have seen with displays on tables. Now if you don't have power up there that is also some work but well worth it. Certainly not something that would rely on HOPE its pretty easy and almost a certain positive outcome.
post #196 of 276 Old 02-20-2012, 11:36 AM

The Down-And-Out mount is really intriguing. It seems like the best of both worlds solution. I'm not worried about the heat (we wouldn't have the TV down with a fire on). I just have one question:

What do you do with the center channel speaker?
post #197 of 276 Old 02-20-2012, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack1323 View Post

The Down-And-Out mount is really intriguing. It seems like the best of both worlds solution. I'm not worried about the heat (we wouldn't have the TV down with a fire on). I just have one question:

What do you do with the center channel speaker?

That's a good question. Mounting above a fireplace can limit your HTS setup as well as the use of a bias light (the red framing around the tv will limit the use of a bias light anyway).
post #198 of 276 Old 02-20-2012, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
It will help if your seating reclines. I have a 50" plasma mounted above my fireplace with a Vienna Waltz Grand CC sitting on the mantle below the screen.
The main listening position is currently about 13' from the screen, it's comfortable as long as I'm leaning back a little. Much closer and it's hard on the neck.
Sometimes you just have to make do with what you have.
post #199 of 276 Old 04-20-2012, 10:24 AM

I installed our 42" panny plasma above our fireplace around 15 months ago. no problems yet. Luckily there is a wall cavity in front of the chimney stack, so I could hide all the cables. I used a Carlon SC300PRB recessed box for electrical and a/v jacks. Here are a couple pictures (I have since installed the electrical outlets).
LL
LL
post #200 of 276 Old 05-06-2012, 11:49 AM

There is a fireplace mount made now that will lower and raise 30 inches if the depth of the mantel is around 4". It is made for mounting above the fireplace mantel and at times it could be mounted in a room the has a mid level beam. The mantel depth does affect the downward travel distance of the fireplace mount. Take for instance if the mantel depth is 12 inches the amount of travel would be reduce to around 24" downward.

This fireplace mount has a tension system built into the bracket assembly it that allows the TV mount to hang just off the mantel itself which is good so it does not scratch the finish. When not in use you can raise the TV mount up and it will rest in the home position. Other things to consider when purchasing a fireplace TV mount is how much clearance you have above the mantel and ceiling as well as how large of a flat panel TV you will be mounting.

The bracket does have a minimum height above the mantel to allow it to achieve it fully lowering potential. This fireplace TV mounting bracket helps reduce neck strain when looking up to watch your favorite show or movie. I hope this helps if you have questions write me back for more information about the mounts specifications.
post #201 of 276 Old 10-08-2013, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I finally got my 80" mounted and sit about 14 ft away. This thing looks sweet. Replaced my 60" vizio plasma and I used the same mount I had for the old tv.
http://simplicity.sanus.com/index.php/us/en/products/tilting-mount/SXDP3

Now I'm having one issue. I need to get more "tilt" for 3d only. When seated in the couch the 3D is a little blurry and has slight doubling. If I start to sit up it gets perfectly clear. I know this is an issue with passive 3d if you are more than 20 degrees below the TV. I have to figure out a way to get more tilt. It's already on a tilt mount, but not enough tilt. Any ideas?

2d viewing is perfect and no complaints.

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

post #202 of 276 Old 10-11-2013, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 690

<DriveByShooting>

I think that putting a big chunk of electronics over something that's meant to be as beautifully picturesque as a fireplace is a passing fad.  It's already passed from different to been done, and now it's just jarring IMO.  And it's much worse now that the TVs are the same size or larger than the fireplace + mantel they're over.

I'm betting in 10-20 years we'll look back at this the way we do now at mullets, car bras, and people walking around the mall with a bluetooth headset sticking out of their ear.

</DriveByShooting>

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #203 of 276 Old 10-11-2013, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I currently have the TV over fireplace setup, have been looking at downsizing now that our kids are both in college. We love an open floor plan and prefer having the HT setup integrated there as opposed to a dedicated media room. I really want to get away from having the monitor over the mantle.
Even here in S. Texas, almost every great room has the fireplace as the focal point, even though it would only get used a few days a year.
A real estate agent told my wife that the TV over FP setup is "in" right now.
post #204 of 276 Old 10-11-2013, 06:56 AM

I don't know how you guys get used to having the tv up so high in the air. Don't you get sore always having to crane your neck to watch the tv? Personally I like the tv to be about 20" off the ground.

I remember when products were built to last.
post #205 of 276 Old 10-11-2013, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaFan63 View Post

I don't know how you guys get used to having the tv up so high in the air. Don't you get sore always having to crane your neck to watch the tv? Personally I like the tv to be about 20" off the ground.

Actually you get use to it. It bothered me for maybe the first week. Now I never even think about it anymore, just seems natural. Plus the kids can't get their fingures on it.
post #206 of 276 Old 10-11-2013, 07:42 AM

You have a good point about the kids toys. I threw a large marble at my brother when we were kids and it put a bullseye in the screen of our Zenith tv. While the tv actually played fine for years after and the bullseye was in the bottom corner of the screen our dad was pretty pissed. We ended up putting the tv in the basement where we had a pool table and a bar. We ended up getting a new tv for the living room but I had to tell the story over and over for years. Luckily no one readily remembers it now. I don't think a modern flat screen would fare as well today. I guess I'll have to spend some time at BB or American on a couch to see if the height would bug me. No one I know has their tv mounted over the fireplace even though they have one.

I remember when products were built to last.
post #207 of 276 Old 10-11-2013, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaFan63 View Post

You have a good point about the kids toys. I threw a large marble at my brother when we were kids and it put a bullseye in the screen of our Zenith tv. While the tv actually played fine for years after and the bullseye was in the bottom corner of the screen our dad was pretty pissed. We ended up putting the tv in the basement where we had a pool table and a bar. We ended up getting a new tv for the living room but I had to tell the story over and over for years. Luckily no one readily remembers it now. I don't think a modern flat screen would fare as well today. I guess I'll have to spend some time at BB or American on a couch to see if the height would bug me. No one I know has their tv mounted over the fireplace even though they have one.

That's interesting.  It's pretty much a pandemic in the north east as far as I can see.  Out of 8 people who live on my street, I know 3 of them have a TV over the fireplace, (I haven't seen the others).  And all 3 TVs (again, a chunk of electronics) look crass over something otherwise beautiful.

By the way, neck strain is only one piece to a weird puzzle.  There was considerable talk about eyes drying out quickly when the head is tipped back slightly.  I don't know because my TV is centered at sitting eye height.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #208 of 276 Old 10-11-2013, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

That's interesting.  It's pretty much a pandemic in the north east as far as I can see.  Out of 8 people who live on my street, I know 3 of them have a TV over the fireplace, (I haven't seen the others).  And all 3 TVs (again, a chunk of electronics) look crass over something otherwise beautiful.

By the way, neck strain is only one piece to a weird puzzle.  There was considerable talk about eyes drying out quickly when the head is tipped back slightly.  I don't know because my TV is centered at sitting eye height.

Its all personal preference, just because you don't like something doesn't make it wrong. Never heard anything about eyes drying out, gota blink once and awhile.
post #209 of 276 Old 10-11-2013, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder View Post

Its all personal preference, just because you don't like something doesn't make it wrong. Never heard anything about eyes drying out, gota blink once and awhile.

Agreed. But for me, a tv above a fireplace looks nice in a model home but not for practical purposes. The center of the panel should be at eye level and the fireplace below would be a distraction. But, to each his own.
post #210 of 276 Old 10-11-2013, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I personally think Tv's of the fireplace look best when the ceiling is 12 ft high and above. Most look stuffed in with not much headroom before it hits the ceiling. I have 25 ft high ceilings and a HUGE wall. I've had a 60" plasma above my fireplace for 6 years and loved it, except the fireplace mantle dwarfed the tv. Now I just upgraded to an 80" which is about the same size as the mantle and it looks much better.

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Tv Above Fireplace

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page