Simple question about LCD's - AVS Forum
OLED Technology and Flat Panels General > Simple question about LCD's
Capecodhack's Avatar Capecodhack 09:05 PM 01-15-2007
Since I've determined that I don't need a 1080p display due to my viewing distance of 10'-12' (plus my advancing age), the question is "do the 768 displays of Sharp, Sony, Samsung have the same banding and clouds issues as the 1080p's?" Some here have suggested that I simply go to a plasma and forget about it, but I do like the 46" LCD's that I've seen.

DBLASS's Avatar DBLASS 01:32 PM 01-16-2007
You are describing "LCD-isms". They can be corrected or minimized. They show up as a result of set up (contrast and brightness adjustments to the video processor) or mechanical packaging.

DB
stripe's Avatar stripe 05:52 AM 01-17-2007
LCD and plasma both have their strengths and weeknesses.

To say that all issues related to one, or the other technology, will go away with a few user adjustments is pure nonsense, however.

You likely won't be able to correct the mura effect (clouds) if your set is affected. You also won't be able to correct any of the LCD-related issues such as ghosting (yep, that 6ms response time some manufacturer claim is just not up to par with plasmas, and I DO see ghosting, to some degree, on ALL LCD TVs), reduced viewing angle (although manufacturers claim up to 170+ degree viewing angle capabilities, LCDs will typically get significantly dimmer when passed 90 degrees), and limited color gamut (no LCD manufacturer can claim, and deliver, the same color gamut as a top notch plasma TV). I'm not going to get into the black level issues, which also favor plasmas, because it has been debated enough already, on this forum.

That being said, some LCD TVs do look quite nice, and there may be one out there for you. LCD does have advantage. Namely, minimized reflections, and peak brightness, which make them a good choice for brightly lit rooms. LCDs are also generally better suited for computer and gaming applications because they are less prone to image retention (although permanent IR, under certain circumstances, is not a myth with LCDs). Bottom line, let your eyes be the judge and what may look bad for some, may look very good to you.
itigap's Avatar itigap 10:13 AM 01-17-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capecodhack View Post

Since I've determined that I don't need a 1080p display due to my viewing distance of 10'-12' (plus my advancing age), the question is "do the 768 displays of Sharp, Sony, Samsung have the same banding and clouds issues as the 1080p's?" Some here have suggested that I simply go to a plasma and forget about it, but I do like the 46" LCD's that I've seen.

If you like the 46" LCDs that you have seen, then you will really like a good 50" plasma. Unless you cannot control your room lighting at all, plasma will most likely yield you the best PQ and thus enjoyment. Also, prices for 50" plasmas have dropped a great deal over the past few months making them a great deal.

I suggest you look carfully at them and judge for yourself. Try to find a viewing situation with controlled lighting not gass vapor lighting in an overly bright store, which bears little resemblence to your home situation.

Cheers,

Gary

P.S. NEC would be my first choice through one of the forum sponsors. Either Pioneer or Panasonic would be my second.
DBLASS's Avatar DBLASS 08:44 PM 01-17-2007
Stripe- You are on target with all your points except one, cloudy IS referred to non-uniformity by the LCD manufacturers and it is caused by pressure on the LCD cell gap from pressure from the enclosure. It can be corrected or lessened if corrected soon enough and it can be minimized with black level adjustments with the A/D controller, or by releasing the enclosure.

Aside from that you are right, and I am very pro-LCD.

DB
MitsuDude's Avatar MitsuDude 09:10 PM 01-17-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by itigap View Post

If you like the 46" LCDs that you have seen, then you will really like a good 50" plasma. Unless you cannot control your room lighting at all, plasma will most likely yield you the best PQ and thus enjoyment. Also, prices for 50" plasmas have dropped a great deal over the past few months making them a great deal.

I suggest you look carfully at them and judge for yourself. Try to find a viewing situation with controlled lighting not gass vapor lighting in an overly bright store, which bears little resemblence to your home situation.

Cheers,

Gary

P.S. NEC would be my first choice through one of the forum sponsors. Either Pioneer or Panasonic would be my second.

We were gonna get the Sammy 50" plasma, but glare would have been a huge problem, so we went with the Mitsu 46" LCD.
itigap's Avatar itigap 09:27 PM 01-17-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsuDude View Post

We were gonna get the Sammy 50" plasma, but glare would have been a huge problem, so we went with the Mitsu 46" LCD.

Yes if you absolutely cannot control glare then plasma may not be your best choice. I think reflection is the only valid reason for not going plasma.

A lot of people, however, thought they could not control their lighting but found that with a little creativity they could. For instance, simply swiveling the display or tilting it a few degrees has in some cases solved their glare problem.

Cheers,

Gary
Up
Mobile  Desktop