Costco/BB/CC/Sears/Dell et al Master Thread II: NO PRICING /NO COUPONS - Page 16 - AVS Forum
First ... 14  15  16 17  18  ... Last
OLED Technology and Flat Panels General > Costco/BB/CC/Sears/Dell et al Master Thread II: NO PRICING /NO COUPONS
jlaavenger's Avatar jlaavenger 11:13 PM 07-16-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by obfinance View Post

Yes!!!! I was at sears last week and my eyes nearly popped out of their sockets when the salesperson came back with the price of the extended service plan. Reeeediculous, to say the least.

I told her about it and the fact that the prices were way out of line with what others were charging. But she was adamant about the fact that the sears warranty was better than all of their competitors. When I asked her what made their service warranties better, funny enough, she said, and I'm quoting here, "I have no idea," and giggled a little bit.

Other than that, I cannot attest to the mack warranties listed on the texastapeworks site, but it appears that forum members have favorable opinions of them.

And that's only a 3 year warranty.

Johnla's Avatar Johnla 11:50 PM 07-16-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhacker View Post

The TH58PX60U is not discontinued at Costco yet. The stores all seem to have several in stock (I bought one today!) and, as of tonight, it is once again available online.


That TV has been discontinued by Panasonic, they are no longer being made. The fact that Costco has some more now available to sell has nothing to do with that, other than Costco got their hands on some of the leftovers to sell. More than likely Costco is just found a source that still had a fairly large stock of them available, and they just grabbed a bunch of them to sell. Costco and Wal-Mart were both one of the few places that still sold a whole bunch of Pioneer SD532HD CRT RPTV's when Pioneer discontinued all of their CRT RPTV line and went to strictly plasma only sets. It's almost like Costco and Wal-Mart became the dumping ground by Pioneer for that set, as they were about the only places that had them. And Costco was still selling those Pioneer CRT RPTV's for quite a long time after Pioneer stopped making them, and also for quite a while even after Wal-Mart no longer had them anymore.
rexdigital's Avatar rexdigital 12:23 AM 07-17-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaavenger View Post

Sears price matches but charges over $800 for a 3 year warranty.

wow thats odd.

I just bought a 50" panasonic plasma with the 3 year warranty and
it cost $329 at my local Sears.
creemail's Avatar creemail 12:49 AM 07-17-2007
The power of the internet. You have to love it!

Chris
MountAVision.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexdigital View Post

wow thats odd.

I just bought a 50" panasonic plasma with the 3 year warranty and
it cost $329 at my local Sears.


dssturbo1's Avatar dssturbo1 12:54 AM 07-17-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexdigital View Post

wow thats odd.

I just bought a 50" panasonic plasma with the 3 year warranty and
it cost $329 at my local Sears.

the mack 3 year add on warranty through tapeworkstexas for a plasma under $2500 is $130 that gives you the first year under panasonic and then 3 more from mack, an eatra year and $200 less then you paid sears.
dssturbo1's Avatar dssturbo1 01:11 AM 07-17-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaavenger View Post

Who has the best warranty? Sears, Best Buy, Circuit City? I'm looking at buying the Samsung 50" 1080p Flat-Panel Plasma HDTV Model: FP-T5084 But I'm confused about warranties.
Circuit City has the lowest TV price but charges $629.99 for a 3 year warranty
Best Buy has the TV for $149.99 more but only charges $499.99 for a 4 year warranty And Sears price matches but charges over $800 for a 3 year warranty.
They each claim they offer the best, in fact Sears really stresses that thiers is the best. Of course the TV is even cheaper at a few online stores. The warranty for them I'm not sure about. Who should I go with?

give Chris a call at cleveland Plasma, or the text link at the bottom of the page. he has the samsung 5084 and very reasonable extended warranty packages form the best ext warranty companies, warrentech, mack and repairmaster. he can have you a new samsung 5084 delivered to your door with minimum 3 yr add on ext warranty for less then sears/bb/cc will charge you for the 5084 with tax.
etrin's Avatar etrin 06:04 AM 07-17-2007
Guys the bigger question is not who has the best warranty but how is going to fix it if you need it. I have read threads about factory warranties good and bad but how do CC BB and Sears supply their warranties?

call bob your set is out of 30 days, yep bob, no mam bob's tv and cattle feed..yes mam in your phone book.

tapeworkstexas I am sure is using contracts in different places or not.

Do extended warranties cover different things at each store?

those are more important than just price. Sure $200 and we cover the rubber feet on the bottom of the stand, or $600 and we cover every damn thing.
Buckeye911's Avatar Buckeye911 06:48 AM 07-17-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaavenger View Post

Who has the best warranty? Sears, Best Buy, Circuit City? I'm looking at buying the Samsung 50" 1080p Flat-Panel Plasma HDTV Model: FP-T5084
But I'm confused about warranties.
Circuit City has the lowest TV price but charges $629.99 for a 3 year warranty
Best Buy has the TV for $149.99 more but only charges $499.99 for a 4 year warranty
And
Sears price matches but charges over $800 for a 3 year warranty.
They each claim they offer the best, in fact Sears really stresses that thiers is the best.

Of course the TV is even cheaper at a few online stores. The warranty for them I'm not sure about.

Who should I go with?

Alright, I have posted this too many times so I will give the short version this time. Simply stated, almost every expert says DO NOT BUY EXTENDED WARRANTIES!!! Do some googling and check it out, these warranties are a very poor investment. The average two year repair rate for plasma and LCD televisions is 3%, the same as traditional CRTs. This is according to consumer reports. The average cost of repair is around $200. You may want to consider a warranty with RPTs as their repair rate is 10% with an average cost of $400 (this does not include bulbs) but shop around for warranties. You don't have to get the warranty where you buy the tv and they vary greatly.
dhacker's Avatar dhacker 07:49 AM 07-17-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

That TV has been discontinued by Panasonic, they are no longer being made. The fact that Costco has some more now available to sell has nothing to do with that, other than Costco got their hands on some of the leftovers to sell. More than likely Costco is just found a source that still had a fairly large stock of them available, and they just grabbed a bunch of them to sell. Costco and Wal-Mart were both one of the few places that still sold a whole bunch of Pioneer SD532HD CRT RPTV's when Pioneer discontinued all of their CRT RPTV line and went to strictly plasma only sets. It's almost like Costco and Wal-Mart became the dumping ground by Pioneer for that set, as they were about the only places that had them. And Costco was still selling those Pioneer CRT RPTV's for quite a long time after Pioneer stopped making them, and also for quite a while even after Wal-Mart no longer had them anymore.

I said "not discontinued at Costco" and was commenting in direct response to creemail's prediction that "Most likely they [Costco] will not be getting more units in and they are discontinued."

Maybe there are people on here, like vanrags, who wanted to order one from Costco online and who may have been disuaded by creemail's incorrect supposition. They might appreciate knowing that Costco has not discontinued selling this model, not even online.

This is the correct thread for discussing flat panel TV's at Costco, is it not?
etrin's Avatar etrin 08:22 AM 07-17-2007
jim55avs did you keep the original box and all paperwork.
My friend ( yep I hate these stories ) took back a 37" and got a big
hastle since he didn't have the box. But they did replace it, and kept the box
from his to put his return unit in LOL


How big a set can you get in the back seat of a buick
Johnla's Avatar Johnla 04:16 PM 07-17-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhacker View Post

I said "not discontinued at Costco" and was commenting in direct response to creemail's prediction that "Most likely they [Costco] will not be getting more units in and they are discontinued."


This is the correct thread for discussing flat panel TV's at Costco, is it not?


Call it whatever you want, but Costco does not "discontinue" TV's or anything else they sell. It's the manufactures that are the ones who discontinue products. Costco just either sells them or they don't. Just because they found a source somewhere that they could still get a worthwhile supply of them for now, other than they really have nothing at all to do with a item being discontinued or not. Sure they may or may not continue to sell a product, so I guess you could say they decided to "continue" selling them if you want to get technical about it. But in reality, it's simply after finding a source for them, just that they decided acquire some more in order to sell them. And with the way Costco often works on a lot of products they offer, 2 days or a week from now, their entire supply could be gone and then that may no longer be the case, and you likely may never see them again offered.
Johnla's Avatar Johnla 04:22 PM 07-17-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by etrin View Post

Guys the bigger question is not who has the best warranty but how is going to fix it if you need it. I have read threads about factory warranties good and bad but how do CC BB and Sears supply their warranties?

With a Sears extended warranty, Sears is also the ONLY ones that can work on it, under the warranty terms. In fact if you buy a Sony TV, and something fails during the Sony warranty period, even then only Sears can work on it. It's one of the agreements that Sears has with Sony to sell their TV. And I'm sure they probably have the same type of agreement in place with some of the other brands they sell also.
dhacker's Avatar dhacker 05:16 PM 07-17-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

Call it whatever you want, but Costco does not "discontinue" TV's or anything else they sell. It's the manufactures that are the ones who discontinue products. Costco just either sells them or they don't. Just because they found a source somewhere that they could still get a worthwhile supply of them for now, other than they really have nothing at all to do with a item being discontinued or not. Sure they may or may not continue to sell a product, so I guess you could say they decided to "continue" selling them if you want to get technical about it. But in reality, it's simply after finding a source for them, just that they decided acquire some more in order to sell them. And with the way Costco often works on a lot of products they offer, 2 days or a week from now, their entire supply could be gone and then that may no longer be the case, and you likely may never see them again offered.



Stores discontinue items all the time, even when production continues. And yes they use exactly that word. Ever been to a grocery store?

And I NEVER said Panasonic was continuing to produce this model. You missed my clearly stated meaning and went off on an irrelevant tangent to argue a non-existent point of contention based on your odd semantic interpretation of something I didn't say. Sheesh.
uhphikap's Avatar uhphikap 09:34 PM 07-17-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by etrin View Post

Guys the bigger question is not who has the best warranty but how is going to fix it if you need it. I have read threads about factory warranties good and bad but how do CC BB and Sears supply their warranties?

call bob your set is out of 30 days, yep bob, no mam bob's tv and cattle feed..yes mam in your phone book.

tapeworkstexas I am sure is using contracts in different places or not.

Do extended warranties cover different things at each store?

those are more important than just price. Sure $200 and we cover the rubber feet on the bottom of the stand, or $600 and we cover every damn thing.

The Mack Warranty sold by TapeWorks Texas works in this manner:

1. It is an in-home warranty that covers any MANUFACTURING defect. (ie, it does not cover accidents, spills, etc, nor does it cover power surges since that would be considered an act of God)

2. Since this is an in-home warranty, the nearest authorized service center (the one that will make house calls in your area) will be used for repairs.

3. Mack simply pays the repair location for the repairs that are necessary. They have told me that they give them a credit card for the charges.


If you have further questions, you can check out the FAQ on the following pages, or contact me, and I would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

http://tapeworkstexas.com/mack_warranty_tv_only_.html

http://tapeworkstexas.com/mack_warranty_combo.html

http://tapeworkstexas.com/mack_warra...tor_combo.html


Thanks,
Brian Pool
TapeWorks Texas
JLS24's Avatar JLS24 05:50 PM 07-18-2007
Does anyone know of any upcoming sets Sams may be getting in the near future. Im looking to get a 1080p plasma at least 50 inch. Thanks
kawabongha's Avatar kawabongha 09:08 PM 07-27-2007
I have been tempted to buy the 52" LC-60C52U at Costco for a while. They are apparently phasing out the the model. New model comes in a slightly smaller box, same price different model # LCC5262U.
Does anybody have some specs. for the model?
Looks like the website has them and at my local costco they had about 10 at hand.
axmode's Avatar axmode 10:54 PM 07-27-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawabongha View Post

I have been tempted to buy the 52" LC-60C52U at Costco for a while. They are apparently phasing out the the model. New model comes in a slightly smaller box, same price different model # LCC5262U.
Does anybody have some specs. for the model?
Looks like the website has them and at my local costco they had about 10 at hand.

I read rather quickly and I really thought that you had said, you could count 10 bands.
Valnar's Avatar Valnar 04:21 PM 07-30-2007
I have a BB, CC and HHGreg all within 2 blocks where I live. I can get the TV I want at any of them. I assume all would price match each other.

Which would be the "better" place to buy a TV as far as customer service is concerned? I have no intention of returning multiple TV's (I did all my research here), but I certainly want a store with a liberal return policy in case I get a lemon.

Which of the three big name stores is less likely to give me a hassle?

Robert
justinb181's Avatar justinb181 02:34 PM 08-03-2007
anyone know if best buy is getting the pioneer 6010??
dtrell's Avatar dtrell 03:14 PM 08-03-2007
im sure they will. they just wont get the elite versions except in magnolia stores.
thelegend9123's Avatar thelegend9123 01:14 PM 08-07-2007
Circuit City recently dropped their extended warranty prices on all TVs by 40%-60%. It is about time. Some of the prices were absolutely ridiculous.
jjigglers's Avatar jjigglers 10:52 PM 08-10-2007
hey guys, new to the forums (and to HDTV in general)

anyone know if best buy will carry the Panasonic 42PX77U (right now they only stock the PX75U, which is the same but a little downgraded)? I'm unfortunately stuck buying from Best Buy (for various reasons) so my options aren't as wide as I hope.

also, do they let you haggle at BB? i've seen it happen at smaller name chains, but not the big stores before

thanks in advance
Buckeye911's Avatar Buckeye911 01:14 AM 08-11-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjigglers View Post

hey guys, new to the forums (and to HDTV in general)

anyone know if best buy will carry the Panasonic 42PX77U (right now they only stock the PX75U, which is the same but a little downgraded)? I'm unfortunately stuck buying from Best Buy (for various reasons) so my options aren't as wide as I hope.

also, do they let you haggle at BB? i've seen it happen at smaller name chains, but not the big stores before

thanks in advance

Consider ordering online to improve your choices. Amazon has this set on sale for a great price with free shipping right now. They are selling it for less than BB is selling the 75U. BB does not carry the 77U but you can find it at CC and Sears.

You can try haggling anywhere, the worst that can happen is they say no. I tried haggling over a refrigerator (open box) at BB once. I was unsuccessful but went back a couple of days later and made an offer to a different salesman and it was accepted. Good luck.
jjigglers's Avatar jjigglers 03:57 AM 08-11-2007
thanks for the reply. i'm really locked in to best buy because i have a ton of gift cards there (~$2k), so i'm probably going to get the 75u unless something better comes along before i buy the set.

im hoping the NFL opening day TV sales at BB will be good. is this a fair assumption? I feel like there are crazy sales at the beginning of football season
Buckeye911's Avatar Buckeye911 10:29 AM 08-11-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjigglers View Post

thanks for the reply. i'm really locked in to best buy because i have a ton of gift cards there (~$2k), so i'm probably going to get the 75u unless something better comes along before i buy the set.

im hoping the NFL opening day TV sales at BB will be good. is this a fair assumption? I feel like there are crazy sales at the beginning of football season

I'm not an expert but my feeling is that you will not see significant price drops for 720p/1080i plasma and lcds beyond the sale prices you see now. 1080p sets will see significant price drops in the near future as they slowly become the standard (at least for 50" and above models). I can't find any sources right now but I recall reading a couple of reports indicating that July and November have seen the lowest sales prices for hdtv the past few years.
Gerry S's Avatar Gerry S 08:18 PM 08-12-2007
Anyone know when the Maxent MX-58HPT51 58" plasma may make its debut at Costco?

The MFG says the TV is scheduled for release in 3rd qtr 2007.

I am hoping this may be a decent replacement for the Panasonic 58" 720p (600u). Love the Pani, but the wife has vetoed based on her dislike of the silver exterior.
Buckeye911's Avatar Buckeye911 08:52 PM 08-12-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry S View Post

Anyone know when the Maxent MX-58HPT51 58" plasma may make its debut at Costco?

The MFG says the TV is scheduled for release in 3rd qtr 2007.

I am hoping this may be a decent replacement for the Panasonic 58" 720p (600u). Love the Pani, but the wife has vetoed based on the but-ugly silver exterior.

Why on earth would you consider a very mediocre Maxent? Personally I like the silver bezel on my Panny but if you need the black you could wait a few months for the price to fall on the Panasonic TH-58PZ700U. This year's model is 1080p and has a black bezel, current street price is around $XXXX.
Gerry S's Avatar Gerry S 06:18 AM 08-13-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye911 View Post

Why on earth would you consider a very mediocre Maxent? Personally I like the silver bezel on my Panny but if you need the black you could wait a few months for the price to fall on the Panasonic TH-58PZ700U. This year's model is 1080p and has a black bezel, current street price is around $4500.

I am still strongly considering the 700/750u. But I really don't think I would benefit from 1080p, and don't want to pay extra for it.

I am also concerned with quality of the Maxent, but I at least want to give it a look. I am hoping there is a chance that the Maxent uses Panasonic glass, since it is also 58". It's specs sure look similar to the 600u as well.

If the Maxent doesn't satisfy, I plan to purchase the 750u. Too bad Panasonic doesn't have an all black consumer 58" 720p.
Gerry S's Avatar Gerry S 05:09 PM 08-13-2007
Just to answer my own question, the Maxent should be landing at Costco anytime - it is already on their website. The photo on the Maxent web site looks like a bronze speaker at the bottom, and the Costco photo looks silver. If it is in fact silver, I may be back to square one.

Looks like I may have to "settle" for a 750u.
EchoTony's Avatar EchoTony 05:58 PM 08-14-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjigglers View Post

thanks for the reply. i'm really locked in to best buy because i have a ton of gift cards there (~$2k), so i'm probably going to get the 75u unless something better comes along before i buy the set.

im hoping the NFL opening day TV sales at BB will be good. is this a fair assumption? I feel like there are crazy sales at the beginning of football season

I would try and get a price match at BB for the price that Sears now is selling the 75u.... It's a really good price, and it's a B&M store, so they should match.
First ... 14  15  16 17  18  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop