Costco/BB/CC/Sears/Dell et al Master Thread II: NO PRICING /NO COUPONS - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 842 Old 02-07-2008, 11:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased a TV at Costco about a month ago. It's now significantly cheaper at Amazon, so I'll probably return the Costco TV. If Costco hadn't changed their return policy to 90 days, I'd be inclined to keep it in spite of the price difference. Gotta wonder how many sales Costco is losing due to this change, and whether that more than offsets any gain by restricting the return period...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 842 Old 02-07-2008, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasr View Post

If your tv is not repairable and they replace it, once they replace it your warranty is voided. It happened to me on a 20" lcd tv. Had the tv for 6 months and the tv died. Took it back and they replaced it, had the extended 2 year warranty. A year later after they replaced the first tv I had problems w/ the replacement set. Took the tv back to bestbuy and they told me that since they had replaced the original tv that my warranty was voided. I was pissed, I will never buy another extended warranty from them again.

dude u cant expect to get TWO free tv's from ONE service plan
post #633 of 842 Old 02-12-2008, 06:31 AM

Thought I would share my BB and CC experience. I have decided on either the Kuro 5080 or the Pan 50PZ77. So I go to CC to check out the models and I am there about 30 minutes just looking at the different screens and messing around the models. Nobody approaches me at all. I leave and head over to BB.

At BB I get a sales guy who tells me that I should not get a PS3 as my BD player. They don't play movies well, they don't upconvert and have limited games. He also tells me that the Kuro is not real good because it is not 1080. I am now thinking to myself either this guy knows nothing or he is just trying to get me into products he wants to sell. I leave.

I call forum sponsor invision and order my Panasonic. I love the Kuro but my family room has tons of light and the glare issue would ruin the viewing experience.
post #634 of 842 Old 02-13-2008, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Today I returned my ProScan 42" LCD set back to Sears. It has an auto contrast (DCR on some sets) feature that could not be turned off and no ability to control the back light. I was in yesterday and talked with the sales team. I wanted to exchange the set with a comparably priced model but they did not have anything except for last years 42" Vizio for $250 more. I informed that that a new model is out and its discounted elsewhere but they promptly said they will not carry the new model until the old model was gone. So I said "Thank you" and informed them I would be returning the set the next day.

As I drove up the customer pickup area they were pretty good about helping me unload the set and gave me a ticket. As I go upstairs I talked with a different person in electronics today. He started processing the return and said he just had to look at it and be right back. He came back about 5 minutes later and told its all good but the manager says I have to charge you a 15% restocking fee because we can no longer sell it as new. I said NO NO NO...I don't think so. Tell the manager to come out here!!

So the manager comes and I told him the situation of why I was returning it and that I wanted to keep my business here but you had nothing else to offer. This TV has a feature that you can't adjust and it causes performance issues. I could exchange it but then I would go through 20 of them and still have the same problem. So why waist everyones time? I said I was not going to pay a restocking fee. For starters my return is perfectly boxed with all accessories. The TV has maybe 8 hours on it if that. In my case I should not be charged a restocking fee at all and if I had to pay one 15% is way out of line. Heck your closeout and returns desk over there only shows a modest discount of 5% if that. Who is fooling who here?

Also lets look at the policy itself. Now they do have a homemade and cheesy looking sign at the cash register that says all electronic returns are subject to a 15% restocking fee. However the back of the receipt says otherwise. It fails to mention electronic purchases at all and for some other products its only charged if you return it in an unlike new condition and/or missing accessories. If the product is returned in perfect shape with all packaging and accessories Sears should really not be charging that according to there own policy. They do have a get out of free jail card that says managers discretion but most management worth a darn would not abuse this policy. I suspect its not him personally but perhaps pressure from corporate. I also very surprised that Sears legal department is not more clean on this policy. Its really poorly written on the receipt.

All the manager would say is I should have researched the product better and that its all my fault. He said he was going to go look at my return and let me know what he would do. Luckily he called the clerk and said it was alright to give me a full refund. So I eventually one my case against Sears. However I felt very bitter and betrayed by Sears. Over the past 25 years I have made lots of purchases at Sears and some things worked out and some did not but never once was I humiliated during a return until now. I now have the belief that the return policy they have is the worst out of any local store. They don't have a large selection and are rarely price competitive. Why would I (or anyone else shop there now). I gave them a chance and they rubbed it in my face. So the heck with them!!
post #635 of 842 Old 02-16-2008, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasr View Post
If your tv is not repairable and they replace it, once they replace it your warranty is voided. It happened to me on a 20" lcd tv. Had the tv for 6 months and the tv died. Took it back and they replaced it, had the extended 2 year warranty. A year later after they replaced the first tv I had problems w/ the replacement set. Took the tv back to bestbuy and they told me that since they had replaced the original tv that my warranty was voided. I was pissed, I will never buy another extended warranty from them again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattS90 View Post

dude u cant expect to get TWO free tv's from ONE service plan

He paid for a warranty, which deals in number of years, not number of TV's.
I'd be pissed too, DUDE.
post #636 of 842 Old 02-17-2008, 01:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by locomo View Post

He paid for a warranty, which deals in number of years, not number of TV's.
I'd be pissed too, DUDE.

Then you probably should read ALL the print in your extended service contracts, before you start griping.

They are not warranties, they are extended service contracts! And just about all service contracts for A/V gear, states somewhere in the policy that if there ever is a full replacement done for something that can not be fixed or that the cost of a fix exceeds the cost or replacement, that by doing a full repalcement it also considers the policy fulfilled and is also terminates the remaining time period of the policy.
post #637 of 842 Old 02-17-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

And you also can't blame Costco for killing that policy!
Due to too much abuse by people that thought it was nothing more than a way for them to get free upgrades.

Once Again, It's not abusing a policy if you take advantage of it!!! Costco knew what they were doing when they wrote it. If a store says you can return it for any reaason then why not!!! Is it abuse when a store discounts a television to move product?? Should you insist on paying full price so your not taking advantage of a store with to much stock??? It boggles my mind when I hear mis-informed consumers who say it's not fair to return a television to a store who advertised a complete satisfaction return for any reason guarentee and believe somehow it's dis-honest. Right now most stores usually offer only a 30 day return policy so I guess with Costcos 90 return polixy retuning it after 30 days is also dishonest
post #638 of 842 Old 02-17-2008, 08:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You are that upset about it that you need to quote old posts? Cry all you want, but it's people who think like you that caused them to change their return policy.... And no matter how much you want complain about it being changed, it's not going to go back to the way it was before.
post #639 of 842 Old 02-18-2008, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

You are that upset about it that you need to quote old posts? Cry all you want, but it's people who think like you that caused them to change their return policy.... And no matter how much you want complain about it being changed, it's not going to go back to the way it was before.

Costco is condsidering going back to their old policy. Several of their competitors still have a life time return policy and this has effected their sales. Their will be some covieats (sp?) on the new return policy but it's probably coming back. And it was people like me who complained about it that will bring it back.
post #640 of 842 Old 02-18-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthemidget View Post

Costco is condsidering going back to their old policy. Several of their competitors still have a life time return policy and this has effected their sales. Their will be some covieats (sp?) on the new return policy but it's probably coming back. And it was people like me who complained about it that will bring it back.

When is this change coming back & what city are you in??

I live in LA...so I will ask the next time I am there.....Since California is their biggest money maker.
post #641 of 842 Old 02-18-2008, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am not sure. My wife's company does market research for them and she said that the changes will happen within the next 9 months. It's not going to happen overnight and they may test it in a few markets first. It is very hard for a company to reverse direction like this.
post #642 of 842 Old 02-18-2008, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

What "several of their competitors" have a life-time return policy? I'm aware that Sam's Club does but what others do?

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
post #643 of 842 Old 02-18-2008, 08:47 PM

As great an idea as a life-time return policy is, we can all see it doesn't work in the long run as Sears, the company everyone used to know for it, went bankrupt, sold everything and then got bought out by Kmart. Costco is still a fairly new company and when those TV's start dying 4 or 5 years from now (not all but some), the store will be taking hits giving away free TV's. I know they don't extend it to that length, but just making a point.
post #644 of 842 Old 02-19-2008, 02:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Don't hold your breath on it coming back for stuff like TV's, PC's and digital cameras and some other electronics. And as for "several of their competitors" that still have it. Other than fighting with a manager at Sams to get them to live up to it, there are no others, let alone several. Other than for those excluded items, Costco pretty much still has the old policy in effect for everything else they sell.
post #645 of 842 Old 02-19-2008, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyman010 View Post

As great an idea as a life-time return policy is, we can all see it doesn't work in the long run as Sears, the company everyone used to know for it, went bankrupt, sold everything and then got bought out by Kmart.

Well, not quite. It was Kmart that went bankrupt, then was purchased by Sears.
post #646 of 842 Old 02-19-2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus312 View Post

Well, not quite. It was Kmart that went bankrupt, then was purchased by Sears.

No, Sears was bought out by Kmart. I work for the company and know quite well. Kmart bought Sears, adopted Kmarts policies and changed the entire way the business ran to be more like industry standard at least along lines of appliances and electronics (return policies, restocking fees, etc.).
post #647 of 842 Old 02-19-2008, 10:59 PM

Quote:

No, Sears was bought out by Kmart. I work for the company and know quite well. Kmart bought Sears, adopted Kmarts policies and changed the entire way the business ran to be more like industry standard at least along lines of appliances and electronics (return policies, restocking fees, etc.).

This is true. Kmart Bought Sears. It had to do with the wacky stock market at the time. Specifically, some investment bankers decided that retailers with massive ammounts of realestate (like Kmart) should be valued at ... you guessed it ...the value of the real estate they owned, not based on whether the company was profitable or not. Kmart's stock price shot through the roof. Then they used a leveraged stock buyout of sears (based on the fact that thier stock was worth so much more because they owned thier stores instead of renting them from malls)

The rest of the story is right. Sears has or is going to drop the craftsman lifetime warrentee, because of the Kmart losses/leadership.
post #648 of 842 Old 02-20-2008, 12:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

K-Mart also sold a lot of their excess real estate to Sears while they were coming out of bankruptcy, and they pretty much used that money along with the money they got from Home Depot for real estate sales, to come out of bankruptcy and then turn around and help them to buy out Sears. Personally, I think there was a lot of underhanded sweetheart backroom deals going on, and under more than just a few tables between Lambert and some of the major bigwig Sears stockholders at the time. Most of those guys came out smelling like roses after the stock switchover and made a bunch of quick money off the deal, while at the same time most of the Sears common stockholders looked like they were screwed over in the process, they got something like only 1/2 of the amount shares they had before.

Here is some of the info about how K-Mart was selling off a bunch of their real estate to both Sears and Home Depot at the time. The Sears part of the sales was to pay out up to $621 million to K-Mart to buy out up to 54 of their stores. And at the time Sears said they were buying it from them so that Sears could "grow"..... Yeah right, my guess is that Lambert was already working on the plans to use that money in order to turn around and buy out Sears.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...7/ai_n15231463
post #649 of 842 Old 02-20-2008, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No, Sears was bought out by Kmart.

Oops, sorry, my bad...
post #650 of 842 Old 02-20-2008, 01:49 PM

My point of this all, was just that this "lifetime guarantee" is not something that will continue for long. Companies have tried it, and in this day and age, there are people who will understand when they got their moneys worth and others who will try to take advantage of the good will of another. There are reasons why so many companies now instate short return policies and restocking fees. If every 6 months, there are several price breaks and a few new models released, it is unrealistic to believe that a company could keep accepting everything back.

However, it would end the people who are too scared to buy because they heard somewhere about something new that might come out .
post #651 of 842 Old 03-10-2008, 07:49 AM

Any real world flat screen Sams Club warranty experience here. Saw quotes below on an LCD thread I'm following

---Quote (Originally by jk247g)---
I would buy from Sams. Sams gives you a Lifetime warranty. I've never
had problems returning anything no matter how old it is. My brother
returned a 37" vizio that went bad (around 2-3 yrs old) and got the 47"
Vizio. ---End Quote---
Well, sorry, but that's not Sam's "guarantee/warranty" any more. In
fact, when I recently questioned them, it's strictly manufacturers
warranty unless you purchase their extended warranty, which is still time
definite, just like everyone else's these days.
wing.
post #652 of 842 Old 03-10-2008, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

That's not what's stated on their website. According to their site it indicates they are still doing unlimited returns. Here is a link to the policy.
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?catg=6104

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
post #653 of 842 Old 03-11-2008, 01:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, but they do also have a time limit for PC returns. Which was also one of the first steps Costco took about a year or so before later expanding it to include other things like TV's, cameras, projectors, camcorders, iPod/MP3 players. So for now you're still good for TV returns under their policy as it stands now, but who really knows if it will always stay the way in the future.
post #654 of 842 Old 03-11-2008, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

^ They've had the exclusion for computers for years.

post #655 of 842 Old 03-11-2008, 05:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

But that don't also mean that they will not also add one for TV's at some time in the future either.
I'm sure the people running Sams are not totally stupid, and if at some point in time they start racking up too many TV returns to justify keeping the current policy at the way it is now on them anymore. Then they very likely will change something in regards to their policy to include limits of some sort for TV returns. A lot of people said that Costco would never change their return policy, and they most certainly did. And it could happen to Sams as well.
post #656 of 842 Old 03-12-2008, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

A lot of people said that Costco would never change their return policy, and they most certainly did. And it could happen to Sams as well.

Sure. Of course, we don't know that Costco really had a big problem with TV returns, only that they said they did. And Costco's policy change may well cost them more in lost sales than they save in returns.
post #657 of 842 Old 03-12-2008, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I think the impetus for Costco changing their policy was more a matter of the potential for abuse rather than how many people were actually abusing the policy. Once plasma and LCD television prices started dropping rapidly they were wide open for abuse by people paying $2500 for a tv and then returning it a year later and replacing it with one for half the price. I really don't see why Sam's has not changed their policy as well but for now it's comforting to know that I can return my tv if it malfunctions. It is tempting to return my 42" Panny plasma that I bought almost two years ago to replace it with a 50" for a lot less now but that would be abuse.

post #658 of 842 Old 03-14-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye911 View Post

I think the impetus for Costco changing their policy was more a matter of the potential for abuse rather than how many people were actually abusing the policy. Once plasma and LCD television prices started dropping rapidly they were wide open for abuse by people paying $2500 for a tv and then returning it a year later and replacing it with one for half the price. I really don't see why Sam's has not changed their policy as well but for now it's comforting to know that I can return my tv if it malfunctions. It is tempting to return my 42" Panny plasma that I bought almost two years ago to replace it with a 50" for a lot less now but that would be abuse.

You are wrong, as are the folks wishfully thinking the old policy is coming back.

The WSJ (and NY Times) had articles on the huge amount of $ Costco was losing on returns. They told anecdotes of people 'exchanging' TVs every six months for the past SEVERAL years and getting money back each time. They had the same problem with computers a few years ago which is why they changed the policy. People would 'upgrade' for free every year.

Go over to ************** for people gaming the system and bitching that it is changed . . .it may not be common for avs'ers to abuse it but trust me, the average J6P thinks nothing of it.

And to a comment above about Costco getting "more returns" because of the new policy. Huh?! No, they are getting less and the old plan is not coming back.
post #659 of 842 Old 03-15-2008, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrafton View Post

The WSJ (and NY Times) had articles on the huge amount of $ Costco was losing on returns. They told anecdotes of people 'exchanging' TVs every six months for the past SEVERAL years and getting money back each time. They had the same problem with computers a few years ago which is why they changed the policy. People would 'upgrade' for free every year. And to a comment above about Costco getting "more returns" because of the new policy. Huh?! No, they are getting less and the old plan is not coming back.

Sure, but all the articles are parroting what Costco tells the reporters. We have no way of knowing what's true. Just like the self-serving figures about the gazillion dollars of retail theft that the retailers' association feeds to reporters all the time.
post #660 of 842 Old 03-16-2008, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 47
After I read these thread pages, I paid attention on my last few trips to Costco. Twice I saw big flatpanel TV's, unpacked, naked, lying belly up on top of shopping carts by the Returns desk.

How can any retailer sustain that? And:

What does Costco do with those returned TVs?
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page