Costco/BB/CC/Sears/Dell et al Master Thread II: NO PRICING /NO COUPONS - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 842 Old 03-17-2007, 03:04 PM
M4P

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by InYourEyes View Post

Actually, the Costco people can do anything they want. I was denied returning a one day old laptop with a receipt because the idiot person accused me that I tampered with it, even if the laptop still looks brand new with no physical damage. So, I had to take it back to another Costco store. I had to file a store complaint, after that.

Wow, that's crazy. What did they mean that you tampered with it? I've never returned anything at Costco yet, but I hope I never have that kind of problem when I do.

Help Wiki for LG BD570: http://www.dexid.org/wiki/LG_BD570 (thanks Dave_Nedde & thx1138)

LG Executive Services 877-543-8325
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 842 Old 03-18-2007, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

so now that costco is no longer worth buying tvs from s there prices were never the lowest & good return policy which made it worth buying from there has changed. where is good plce to buy from?

does sam still have the policy? they ecentl added i to match/compete with costco but i wonder if they will change i back now too just months after implementing.

i was interestd in the 70. jvc model @ cotco.com as i heard it was same price as the 67" samsung dlp i got but havent seen any info on the jvc. i doubt its 250 wha i got the sammy for on sale but prob the 3k its back up to now. id go for the jvc for s high as 2800 but no higher.

i hve a 60" panny rp lcd i got for 2500 which was the price of the 50" at he time but i got the 60 for the 50" price and recently got the samy 67" fo 2500 (an even more amazing deal) so now im spoiled at that pice.

my samy is getting too much use for all major dvr etc watching plus a ton of xbox 360 hours so i need to move 360 to newly finished basement where i have amore comortable o aming setup & straight view to tv.

i would like a tv tha hs vga like the sammy for 360 but can maybe move the sammy to basement for motly 360 use & some tv/dvd etc and put new one upstairs but either way dont want to go much smaller then 67 now that were used to that for man atching & me for 360.

would consider ld but largest is 61 if its even out yet. led would be good for putting lots of hours from 36 but i think if one tv is main tv movie viewing and other is mostly 360, that should be ok total hour wise breaking up the usage. its the combined usage which has me fearing bulb life. rather look at 65 and 70" though

any suggestions on what set and from where? i know 60" to 70" for under 3k is tough but ive done it twice and both being high end quality sets at their time.

right now im prob between 61" led dlp sammy, 70" jvc lcos, and maybe 65" mitsu dlp. leaning towards the jvc for size price & tech type as i already have rp lcd & dlp so like to try diferent though led dlp is diff enough from reg dlp and will give me the longer bulb life etc i may be looking for for xbox 36 use.
post #183 of 842 Old 03-18-2007, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatre View Post

so now that costco is no longer worth buying tvs from s there prices were never the lowest & good return policy which made it worth buying from there has changed. where is good plce to buy from?

does sam still have the policy? they ecentl added i to match/compete with costco but i wonder if they will change i back now too just months after implementing.

i was interestd in the 70. jvc model @ cotco.com as i heard it was same price as the 67" samsung dlp i got but havent seen any info on the jvc. i doubt its 250 wha i got the sammy for on sale but prob the 3k its back up to now. id go for the jvc for s high as 2800 but no higher.

i hve a 60" panny rp lcd i got for 2500 which was the price of the 50" at he time but i got the 60 for the 50" price and recently got the samy 67" fo 2500 (an even more amazing deal) so now im spoiled at that pice.

my samy is getting too much use for all major dvr etc watching plus a ton of xbox 360 hours so i need to move 360 to newly finished basement where i have amore comortable o aming setup & straight view to tv.

i would like a tv tha hs vga like the sammy for 360 but can maybe move the sammy to basement for motly 360 use & some tv/dvd etc and put new one upstairs but either way dont want to go much smaller then 67 now that were used to that for man atching & me for 360.

would consider ld but largest is 61 if its even out yet. led would be good for putting lots of hours from 36 but i think if one tv is main tv movie viewing and other is mostly 360, that should be ok total hour wise breaking up the usage. its the combined usage which has me fearing bulb life. rather look at 65 and 70" though

any suggestions on what set and from where? i know 60" to 70" for under 3k is tough but ive done it twice and both being high end quality sets at their time.

right now im prob between 61" led dlp sammy, 70" jvc lcos, and maybe 65" mitsu dlp. leaning towards the jvc for size price & tech type as i already have rp lcd & dlp so like to try diferent though led dlp is diff enough from reg dlp and will give me the longer bulb life etc i may be looking for for xbox 36 use.

I wouldn't rule out Costco's because of the return policy change. Even with the new policy it is still better than most other retailers. As far as competitive pricing well that has always been a concideration for me and I still find Costco's prices competitive. I've bought 2 LCD displays from Costco's in the last year and would still concider them if I needed to purchase another one. They're still better than other retailers in my neighborhood like, BJ's, Circuit City and Best Buy.
post #184 of 842 Old 03-18-2007, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemax50 View Post

I wouldn't rule out Costco's because of the return policy change. Even with the new policy it is still better than most other retailers. As far as competitive pricing well that has always been a concideration for me and I still find Costco's prices competitive. I've bought 2 LCD displays from Costco's in the last year and would still concider them if I needed to purchase another one. They're still better than other retailers in my neighborhood like, BJ's, Circuit City and Best Buy.

I'm sure Costco gets a lot of returns on LCD's and plasma's. I'm curious about what they do with displays that are returned. If the customer returns one because they just don't like it and not because it is defective do they put it back out for resale, sell it as an open box item (don't think I've ever seen one there), or return it to the manufacturer? Surely they wouldn't just repackage it and resell it as new - would they?
post #185 of 842 Old 03-18-2007, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon Smith View Post

I'm sure Costco gets a lot of returns on LCD's and plasma's. I'm curious about what they do with displays that are returned. If the customer returns one because they just don't like it and not because it is defective do they put it back out for resale, sell it as an open box item (don't think I've ever seen one there), or return it to the manufacturer? Surely they wouldn't just repackage it and resell it as new - would they?

They only sell brand new items at Costco. Anything returned goes back to manufacturer or directly to a 3rd party reseller the manufacturer has contracted. Every TV will be put through tests for function and maybe refurbished and sold at a discount. Some might even end up on Ebay from a large discount seller
post #186 of 842 Old 03-18-2007, 06:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by radman22 View Post

They only sell brand new items at Costco. Anything returned goes back to manufacturer or directly to a 3rd party reseller the manufacturer has contracted. Every TV will be put through tests for function and maybe refurbished and sold at a discount. Some might even end up on Ebay from a large discount seller

thats is not true!!I did pick up a samsung dlp, long time ago, open box, customer return reduced that i had to return myself because of ryr pricking rainbows
post #187 of 842 Old 03-18-2007, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

thats is not true!!I did pick up a samsung dlp, long time ago, open box, customer return reduced that i had to return myself because of ryr pricking rainbows

It was by mistake if an open box item was returned to the floor. It is a very strict policy of theirs and I am sure only a few exceptions sneaked by.
post #188 of 842 Old 03-19-2007, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree it seems strange. I've never seen any open box items. I suppose, though, depending on what a manager is authorized to do it could happen.
post #189 of 842 Old 03-19-2007, 10:43 AM

I posted this in Dec.

"Here is what happens to returned TVs at Costco
I was researching a Toshiba LCD that Costco sells, and I came across this seller on eBay that seems to sell Costco and other returns. You can see familiar model numbers that are unique to Costco. I was not impressed with the prices, considering the items are used, returned, and even damaged, and they have to be shipped. Caveat Emptor.

MaxSavers
Maintained by: maxsavers( 4698Feedback score is 1000 to 4,999) Member has an eBay Store
MaxSavers partners with national retailers, banks, and business finance and leasing companies. We offer their overstock, open box, returned items, and end-of-lease business equipment thru eBay auctions. MaxSavers offers great buys on gently used consumer and business electronics and equipment. "
post #190 of 842 Old 03-20-2007, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooberedUp View Post

I agree it seems strange. I've never seen any open box items. I suppose, though, depending on what a manager is authorized to do it could happen.

The only time an open box is placed on the floor to sell in my building is when WE open it.

If somebody returns a TV in a box that does not appear Factory sealed... we open to see if everything is new and unused...then re sell it. Some people say they never used it...only for us to find out everything was unwrapped and clearly used.
post #191 of 842 Old 03-21-2007, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

It's interesting. I purchased a couple of Vizio TVs just recently and I noticed that the box opening system requires only the removal of those plastic "locks" along the side of the box. So, getting the TV out results in no damage to the box and no unsealing of tape. The locks aren't destroyed or damaged in any visual way when removed. So, the thing can be repackaged and the locks reinserted so that it's impossible to tell whether the box was opened and the articles unwrapped, unless, like you said, the thing is opened back up and checked.

Does Vizio use the system because it makes the package appear newer for returns, or do they do it to make the checking of the contents easier? Because, I would hope with Vizios then that CC would examine the contents regardless of whether the box looks factory sealed.
post #192 of 842 Old 03-21-2007, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

It's interesting. I purchased a couple of Vizio TVs just recently and I noticed that the box opening system requires only the removal of those plastic "locks" along the side of the box. So, getting the TV out results in no damage to the box and no unsealing of tape. The locks aren't destroyed or damaged in any visual way when removed. So, the thing can be repackaged and the locks reinserted so that it's impossible to tell whether the box was opened and the articles unwrapped, unless, like you said, the thing is opened back up and checked.

Does Vizio use the system because it makes the package appear newer for returns, or do they do it to make the checking of the contents easier? Because, I would hope with Vizios then that CC would examine the contents regardless of whether the box looks factory sealed.

My Panasonic plasma came with the same box opening system. It sure made it a lot easier to unpack the tv.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
post #193 of 842 Old 03-21-2007, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye911 View Post

My Panasonic plasma came with the same box opening system. It sure made it a lot easier to unpack the tv.

It has to be for minimizing damage to the boxes. I just can't see any other reason for it. I would think the extra cost of the system is offset by less damage to the boxes and the heightened ability to return them to the floor for subsequent sales without people turning up their noses at a visibly apparent return.
post #194 of 842 Old 03-21-2007, 04:41 PM

Quote:

It has to be for minimizing damage to the boxes. I just can't see any other reason for it. I would think the extra cost of the system is offset by less damage to the boxes and the heightened ability to return them to the floor for subsequent sales without people turning up their noses at a visibly apparent return.

I would imagine that the box opening design and construction is so people don't destroy the box when they open it. That way it is easier to repackage the set for transport, or in the event it needs to be shipped for repair.
post #195 of 842 Old 03-21-2007, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

the vizio boxes used to have two straps around them along with the 4 clips, so you could tell if it was opened if the straps were gone
post #196 of 842 Old 03-21-2007, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

With thinning margins, they probably figured they could save a few cents by doing away with the straps.
post #197 of 842 Old 03-21-2007, 10:01 PM

Maybe they just use those straps for shipped tv's and don't put them on in store boxes.

Also, the box the Vizio's come in seem pretty light compared to the ones my Panasonic plasma and Westinghouse LCD came in. I am curious if they double box the Vizio's and/or put straps on them for shipped orders.
post #198 of 842 Old 03-21-2007, 11:15 PM

Obviously I have no clue why they designed the boxes the way they did... but I can say this...

It makes transportation very easy. it makes unpacking effortless, all while preventing damage to the set by fighting awkward packaging. It protects the tv better. And it does not require any cutting to open it up.

I personally like it.
post #199 of 842 Old 03-22-2007, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Maybe they just use those straps for shipped tv's and don't put them on in store boxes.

nope. i bought 3 vizio p50hd's and they all had straps sitting on the floor of the clubs.
post #200 of 842 Old 03-22-2007, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolBox13 View Post

Obviously I have no clue why they designed the boxes the way they did... but I can say this...

It makes transportation very easy. it makes unpacking effortless, all while preventing damage to the set by fighting awkward packaging. It protects the tv better. And it does not require any cutting to open it up.

I personally like it.

Oh yeah, I definitely like it. It makes taking the TV out much easier.
post #201 of 842 Old 03-22-2007, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrell View Post

nope. i bought 3 vizio p50hd's and they all had straps sitting on the floor of the clubs.

None of the 37" and 32" LCD's had straps on them at my local Costco.
post #202 of 842 Old 03-22-2007, 09:48 AM

Quote:

Come to think of it, the only time I got straps was when I ordered my TV online. The three Costco's near my house does not have the straps.

Please don't buy the bald seal
post #203 of 842 Old 03-22-2007, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mine either. I bought one of each last week. Also, I saw a lady buying a 50" plasma and there were no straps on her TV. Maybe the store people cut them off, so I can't say for sure whether it had them.
post #204 of 842 Old 03-22-2007, 09:47 PM

Why doesn't everyone who is displeased with Costco or any other vender just stop going there. Why would anyone pay any more $$$ to buy something at Costco that at BB or CC unless maybe it is their CS return policy??? The reason that the policy was recently changed due to abuse of the policy.

I do not understanding the ranting when it is easy to fix...just don't go there!

Jack
post #205 of 842 Old 03-22-2007, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackdelta View Post

Why doesn't everyone who is displeased with Costco or any other vender just stop going there. Why would anyone pay any more $$$ to buy something at Costco that at BB or CC unless maybe it is their CS return policy??? The reason that the policy was recently changed due to abuse of the policy.

I do not understanding the ranting when it is easy to fix...just don't go there!

Jack

I would trust Costcos new 90 day return policy and 2 year free warranty over BB or CC any day. You will pay a ton for the extra coverage and it never is reliable if you need it. If you catch the electronics on special they are a great deal... only negative is the limited selection.
post #206 of 842 Old 03-23-2007, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackdelta View Post

Jack

A little late to the party? I think we've all beaten that horse to death by now and have moved on.
post #207 of 842 Old 03-23-2007, 09:44 AM

When did the new return policy go into effect? Sometime in March, right?

Do people know if electronics purchased PRIOR to the policy change are grandfathered? If something we bought in December breaks, will Costco give a refund or am I SOL?

Thanks.
post #208 of 842 Old 03-23-2007, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harden View Post

When did the new return policy go into effect? Sometime in March, right?

Do people know if electronics purchased PRIOR to the policy change are grandfathered? If something we bought in December breaks, will Costco give a refund or am I SOL?

Thanks.

It was rolled out from west to east.

You'll be covered under the old policy. It was explicit in the leaked memo.
post #209 of 842 Old 03-23-2007, 06:23 PM
M4P

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolBox13 View Post

It makes transportation very easy. it makes unpacking effortless, all while preventing damage to the set by fighting awkward packaging. It protects the tv better. And it does not require any cutting to open it up. .

My 52" Sharp that I got shipped from Costco came with this kind of box. I thought it was great and it made it so much easier to unpack it. It did have those plastic straps around it and the box was a double box. Great idea whoever thought to package tv's this way.

Help Wiki for LG BD570: http://www.dexid.org/wiki/LG_BD570 (thanks Dave_Nedde & thx1138)

LG Executive Services 877-543-8325
post #210 of 842 Old 03-24-2007, 03:37 PM

I purchased my Sharp LCD 52" at Costco (7028xx) and it has pretty significant banding issues that are visible during normal viewing. I called Costco Concierge service today and they bridged me on with Sharp customer service and I had a case opened. Taking the set back to costco was not an option at this point because they are out of them. I did purchase the set before the new return policy went into effect so I am covered by the old policy. However, he did tell me that as far as he knew the new return policy was rolled out across the country completely on January 26, 2007. Not a staggered rollout that was on the memo that everybody referred to on this forum. According to that memo the Southeast was supposed to go into effect on April 2. It'll be interesting to see if they do honor anything purchased after the 26th of January across different parts of the country.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page