Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 137 Old 10-22-2009, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isochroma View Post

Light falloff can be retrocompensated by altering the PWM schedule of pixels depending on their distance from edge lighting, but the base PWM frequency must be increased to provide additional brightness steps in order to avoid losing actual signal levels. Falloff rate must be carefully measured and compensated depending on display size and optical geometry, thus necessitating the close pairing of the MEMs shutter array with the light delivery system.

Scattering can be prevented using coherent optical waveguides - a kind of backplane fiber-optic without the fiber.

Having said these things, let me contradict myself: neither is a guarantee of technical quality in a large MEMs display; instead they are simply strategies to mitigate the potential shortcomings of edge lighting.

That all sounds doable but kind of kludgy though. I guess mass produced it wouldn't matter I suppose.

I say just do OLED. I do know that it does perfect blacks and seems cleaner and simpler. The lifetimes are up and improving and I own actual OLED tech now in portable devices so I can see the PQ potential. I can't see it getting much better image wise than OLED for flat screen direct view displays.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 137 Old 10-23-2009, 01:30 AM

Liked: 10
If I have to choose between an OLED with infinite contrast and a 38,000 hour lifespan or a TMOS with a contrast that is merely 1.8 times better than a plasma and up to a 200,000 hour lifespan, I'll go with the TMOS, thanks.

Unless OLEDs can overcome their short lives, they just won't be acceptable for gaming or computer monitors. Add to that how bright TMOS displays are supposed to be, which would make them preferable to LCD and OLED handhelds that become unreadable in direct sunlight, and I think it's a bit too early to count this technology out. That is, unless a couple of smartphones, mp3 players and a $2,500 11 inch screen are considered insurmountable leads.
post #123 of 137 Old 10-23-2009, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Hopefully, both OLED and TMOS succeed. TMOS should be thought of primarily as LCD replacement as it's better, thinner, far more energy efficient, a lot cheaper to make than LCDs and will even be produced on existing LCD assembly lines without much of an investment in capital. If OLED has better PQ than TMOS, then OLED should survive but don't be surprised if, when first TMOS prototypes arrive, big names will jump on that bandwagon as they will be able to generate bigger profits from TMOS than from LCDs, let alone from OLEDs.
post #124 of 137 Old 10-24-2009, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtms View Post

.... when first TMOS prototypes arrive, big names will jump on that bandwagon as they will be able to generate bigger profits from TMOS than from LCDs, let alone from OLEDs.

When? I'm pretty sure it's still a matter of "if."

Reunite Pangea!
post #125 of 137 Old 11-10-2010, 02:17 PM

Pixtronix Will Demonstrate PerfectLight MEMS Display Technology at FPD International 2010
http://www.marketwire.com/press-rele...es-1348791.htm
post #126 of 137 Old 11-15-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gain3 View Post

Pixtronix Will Demonstrate PerfectLight MEMS Display Technology at FPD International 2010
http://www.marketwire.com/press-rele...es-1348791.htm

Hi,

Did the presentation take place?

Is moving picture resolution on MEMS as good as on AMOLED? Thank you.
post #127 of 137 Old 12-01-2010, 07:32 AM

Wondering if they can use MEMS film, be it Opcuity or else, to make shutterglasses. Not interested in AMOLED or other subpixel affairs.

VTMS, do you think it can be used for shutterglasses, not relying on polarization would be a huge gain.
post #128 of 137 Old 12-01-2010, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gain3 View Post

Wondering if they can use MEMS film, be it Opcuity or else, to make shutterglasses. Not interested in AMOLED or other subpixel affairs.

VTMS, do you think it can be used for shutterglasses, not relying on polarization would be a huge gain.

I don't see why not. DMS or TMOS and shutter glasses seem like a perfect match. Maybe that should be one of the first commercial applications of MEMS technology.
post #129 of 137 Old 12-01-2010, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english...101005/186163/
http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/08/h...tle-prototype/

Quote:

Hitachi Displays Ltd prototyped a MEMS display by using Pixtronix Inc's technology and showed it at a press conference Oct 4, 2010.

The display was prototyped on the 4.5-generation (the size of glass substrate: 730 x 920mm) production line for low-temperature polycrystalline silicon in Chiba Prefecture, Japan.

"Compared with LCD displays, the power consumption of the new display is about half," Hitachi Displays said. "And it can reproduce vivid colors."

The company plans to release the display from the end of 2011 to the beginning to 2012 for mobile phones, smart phones, tablet PCs, digital cameras and other mobile devices equipped with a 10-inch or smaller display.

Pixtronix's MEMS display consists of a MEMS shutter, a backlight unit using red, green and blue LEDs, driver elements (TFTs), a reflecting plate, etc. Color tones can be adjusted by opening and shutting the MEMS shutter at a high speed and changing the amounts of the light from the LED backlight unit and natural light (See related article).

Pixtronix's display can be driven in three modes: the transparent mode, the reflectance mode and the semi-transmissive mode, which is a combination of the transparent mode and the reflectance mode.

In the transparent mode, color display is realized by driving red, green and blue LEDs in sequence (field sequential method). In the reflectance mode and the semi-transmissive mode, which use natural light, only monochrome display is possible.

Unlike LCD displays, the new MEMS display developed by Hitachi Displays does not require a polarizing plate or a collar. In addition, when light is extracted, it is repeatedly reflected inside the panel, resulting in a high light use efficiency, the company said.

"While the aperture ratio of LCD displays is as high as 40%, their light use efficiency is only about 6%," Hitachi Displays said. "Though the aperture ratio of the new MEMS display is 12%, its light use efficiency is as high as 60% because of light reflection."

The prototyped display has a screen size of 2.5 inches, a pixel count of 320 x 240 (QVGA), a pixel pitch of 163μm and a 120% color gamut on NTSC standards. The company did not disclose other specifications. Hitachi Displays will exhibit the prototype at Ceatec Japan 2010, a trade show that runs from Oct 5 to 9, 2010, in Japan.

post #130 of 137 Old 12-01-2010, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

http://www.displayblog.com/2010/11/1...r-consumption/
Quote:
Pixtronix worked with Chimei Innolux (CMI) and developed some prototypes that were showcased during FPD International 2010. These featured:

135% NTSC color gamut
24-bit color depth
170-degree viewing angles
100 microsecond shutter response times

That’s mighty impressive. Pixtronix and CMI will need to work closely with smart phone brands and the OS provider to make sure color is accurate and doesn’t needlessly pop. OLED displays have high color gamuts but the colors pop too much leading to wholly inaccurate colors. What you see on your OLED display isn’t what you’re going to get when you print it or even when you look at it on a color-tuned display.

The 170-degree viewing angles are good enough but need to be better to compete with the best, which are 178 degrees using IPS technology. The response time is out of this world and there is no LCD that comes close. LCD response times are in the milliseconds (ms) and that is 1000 times slower than a microsecond (µs). That puts the 100µs PerfectLight MEMS at least 10 times faster than a 1ms LCD. Watching videos or playing action games on a Pixtronix PerfectLight MEMS display sounds very tempting. Don’t forget that power con*sumption is reduced by 75%. That means you can watch more than a couple of movies or play games for quite a bit longer.

Imagine having a plasma display on your mobile but without image sticking and the power consumption. Now imagine your notebook PC or tablet having one of these PerfectLight MEMS displays. Pixtronix says larger prototypes will be developed in 2011.

post #131 of 137 Old 12-01-2010, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #132 of 137 Old 12-01-2010, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #133 of 137 Old 12-01-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzShockgamer View Post

If I have to choose between an OLED with infinite contrast and a 38,000 hour lifespan or a TMOS with a contrast that is merely 1.8 times better than a plasma and up to a 200,000 hour lifespan, I'll go with the TMOS, thanks.

Unless OLEDs can overcome their short lives, they just won't be acceptable for gaming or computer monitors. Add to that how bright TMOS displays are supposed to be, which would make them preferable to LCD and OLED handhelds that become unreadable in direct sunlight, and I think it's a bit too early to count this technology out. That is, unless a couple of smartphones, mp3 players and a $2,500 11 inch screen are considered insurmountable leads.

I don't see where 200 000 hour life comes from. LCDs fail because the backlights wear out, this happens for both CCFL and LEDs around 50 000 hours. LED TMOS will last no longer.

But lack of burn in would be a big advantage for computer monitor, but for a TV, burn in isn't much of an issue and I would rather have the infinite contrast vs the LCD like 1000:1 contrast that seems to be expected from TMOS.

Now if it could only get out of the lab.
post #134 of 137 Old 05-21-2011, 08:34 AM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/samsung...in/photostream

Samsung had MEMS at SID2011.

Yet, LCD still steals the show.

^^Yes TMOS lends itself for anti glare coating very well.
post #135 of 137 Old 05-28-2011, 05:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Four years plus and still nothing but demos??

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #136 of 137 Old 08-22-2013, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtms View Post

...... when first TMOS prototypes arrive, big names will jump on that bandwagon as they will be able to generate bigger profits from TMOS than from LCDs, let alone from OLEDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navychop View Post

When? I'm pretty sure it's still a matter of "if."

I think we have our answer to this question. Dead tech, dead thread.

On Edit: OK, there was a recent post before this one, asking a question kinda OT, that brought this thread back. I guess it got deleted as being OT, but that was what got me to post here again. Sorry- we can let this return to the undead.

Reunite Pangea!
post #137 of 137 Old 08-22-2013, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Four years plus and still nothing but demos??

Eight. And I don't think there are even demos anymore.

Rambus was in this field and has basically gotten out. Very little to be found with a Google restricted to the past year.

Reunite Pangea!
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page