The more I read, the farther away I get... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 08-24-2007, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
...from getting an HD TV that is. I was all set to pull the trigger on an HD TV and then i found this forum. There is a ton of info here and the more I read, the less likely I will pull the trigger soon.

I'm not much of a movie buff. I don't own a Blue Ray or HD-DVD player and don't plan to own one any time soon. I just watch regular TV through Direct-TV. I keep going to the box stores looking at various models and am rather underwhelmed by the PQ I see on SD and even most HD channels. Those times when I see a system that is being fed a dedicated full 1080p signal, the picture is stunning but that is not what my situation will be.

I can't fit a TV any larger than 42" in my room and I sit a good 10-12' away from the TV. I've learned Direct-TV kills the bandwidth on their HD channels and the HD sets I've seen at friends homes look appreciably worse than my 36" XBR CRT on SD channels and about the same or slightly better on HD channels.

Plus, I buy a TV on the average of once every 10-12 years so when i do buy one, I want to make sure I will be satisfied with it for some time to come. So I continue to sit on the fence, scratching my head about what is all the ballyhoo about HD TV. It seems to be, at least in theory, a major step forward but, in practice, much less than it could be. What am I missing here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 08-24-2007, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Isn't your 36inch XBR a 1080i, and 720P Sony tube set. If you are only able to go up to at most a 42inch panel, why bother. The 36inch CRT set, has got to provide most of what you are looking for.

How old is your CRT tube set?.
post #3 of 22 Old 08-25-2007, 08:21 AM

Listen buddy, moving from 36" to 42" U'd be only deceiving yourself, U should go with 50" 1080P Plasma, because as U said U only buy a set every 10 years, so by the not very distant future blueray and HD DVD would be dirt cheap, and trust me you will want to buy one... Good luck anyways...
post #4 of 22 Old 08-26-2007, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

My TV is an SD set. It's a few years old. The reason I'm locked in to a 42" is that I only have 41" of width to fit a TV. 42" is as big as I can go.
post #5 of 22 Old 08-26-2007, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorse View Post

My TV is an SD set. It's a few years old. The reason I'm locked in to a 42" is that I only have 41" of width to fit a TV. 42" is as big as I can go.

Considering that you say that you are not a movie buff,and that probably means that you are not much of a DVD viewer, and you are getting practically all your TV from Direct-TV, I would say that you should just wait at least a year or two. You are probably getting a good digital picture now being converted to your analog Sony Tube set. Let things evolve. You will not gain a whole lot by buying a small HD flat panel set now. Wait at least a year or two. There will be more HD programs then, and the Sets will have been improved, at a lower price level. Samsung just came out with a full 1080P LCD 40inch set, but it costs three grand. In a couple of years, that might be what you are looking for, and it should be available for a far lower price. If I were in your situation, I would stand pat, for now. Two years from now, the odds are far greater that you will be able to buy your first 10 year HD flat panel for a reasonable price. Good luck.
post #6 of 22 Old 08-26-2007, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

You're right. I don't watch many DVDs. I don't go to the movies either. I'll buy the occasional movie off of DirecTV. I'm leaning more and more toward just sitting back and waiting. For an ordinary SD CRT, my Sony has an outstanding picture with a digital feed.
post #7 of 22 Old 08-26-2007, 08:20 PM

Think about it, seriously.

Check the 'viewing distances to resolution' comparisons. I was seriously on the verge of buying an HDTV, but guess what? My local cable company only has SIX HD cable channels! Direct TV? Maybe 20 HD channels? Shoot! Is that really worth it? Most of those channels don't even broadcast shows that I would normally watch anyway! When you look at how far away you should be for certain size TV's, and compare to what you have now (SD tv), it's not really that big of a deal! You get what? 'Widescreen' viewing instead of 4:3 SD TV? I sit an average of 10-12 feet away from the TV and whether you get a 1080p or 720p, anything beyond six feet or so away is pointless.

So mmorse, I feel your pain and I see your point completely. I try to get advice and feedback here too and came to the same conclusion as you. Unless you spend a bajillion dollars on an high-end home 'theatre' setup, you're wasting your money. Mainly because everything else is crap in comparison and you'll have nothing but trouble.

I am going to wait until there are more HD channels with content that I normally watch and the quality of HDTV's are more consistent. Right now, the industry can't seem to make up it's mind on plasma, lcd or rptv's anyways.

The best thing to do right now is wait for at least a couple years (if not more), or, if you're current tv takes a dump on ya. Just my thoughts on all this HDTV 'crap'.

I will get my HD 'fix' from playing my computer/xbox 360 games on my computer monitor for now until the HD TV hardware gets its act together.

Good luck mmorse.
post #8 of 22 Old 08-27-2007, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

I hear ya Jouten. With a few exceptions, I've been less than impressed with what I see PQ wise with many of these TVs. Couple that with the fact of compressed HD delivery from most of the available sources and technologies still trying to get their act together, it seems to be much ado over nothing.
post #9 of 22 Old 08-28-2007, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorse View Post

...from getting an HD TV that is. I was all set to pull the trigger on an HD TV and then i found this forum. There is a ton of info here and the more I read, the less likely I will pull the trigger soon.

I'm not much of a movie buff. I don't own a Blue Ray or HD-DVD player and don't plan to own one any time soon. I just watch regular TV through Direct-TV. I keep going to the box stores looking at various models and am rather underwhelmed by the PQ I see on SD and even most HD channels. Those times when I see a system that is being fed a dedicated full 1080p signal, the picture is stunning but that is not what my situation will be.

I can't fit a TV any larger than 42" in my room and I sit a good 10-12' away from the TV. I've learned Direct-TV kills the bandwidth on their HD channels and the HD sets I've seen at friends homes look appreciably worse than my 36" XBR CRT on SD channels and about the same or slightly better on HD channels.

If I break apart your post, I can honestly recommend that you should not upgrade. Going from a 36" to a 42" is not enough of a move, and at your distance, you would not be able to appreciate the increase in resolution. Add what you watch normally, and I would definitely wait.

What I will recommend is to see if you can change your sitting room's environment. Even after a few years, if you can't manage to fit at least a 50-55" TV, or move closer than 10', you may not need to upgrade your TV until your environment changes, or your TV breaks.

If furniture is the factor (don't know...speculating) that you can't fit a TV bigger than 42", then I would take the money you were going to use on a TV and invest in something that will allow for a wider TV. Or, of course, the cheaper option would be to move the couch closer.

my 2 cents.

Robert
post #10 of 22 Old 08-29-2007, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valnar View Post

Or, of course, the cheaper option would be to move the couch closer.

moving the couch closer is the type of advice given by women... we're men damit! Need BIGGER TV.....
post #11 of 22 Old 09-05-2007, 08:44 AM

"Plus, I buy a TV on the average of once every 10-12 years"

I bet that range drops dramatically when you finally get a flat screen. It's amazing how new sets endure compared to old crt's. My first plasma (a few years ago) was shot in less than a year. "Reverse Burn-In" is what they called it, for lack of a better term. Luckliy, since it technically wasn't burn-in, Samsung gave me my money back (burn-in is not covered by warranty). So, I figured I'd save some $ and buy a DLP (Samsung, since they were nice enough before)... well, after 2 years, it "broke". A loud pop, then the color got screwy, and now there's no pic. A serviceman is coming to look at it today (I think it's the color wheel). So, maybe I'll be looking for something else... LCD, I figure. Depends on the cost, and whether I think it's worth fixing (haven't even replaced the bulb yet).
Who ever needed to buy 3 crt's in less than 5 years? If you don't think you need to replace your Sony, I'd say "don't".
post #12 of 22 Old 09-05-2007, 11:45 AM

I agree with you mmorse. I have up to $3,000 to spend on a tv, but I don't want to waste my money with something that I won't be thrilled with for at least a decade, which is how often I buy televisions. And I don't want to have to worry about and obsess over every new techological development to make sure my television is "keeping up." But I've come to the conclusion, after a lot of research, that the HDTV "phenomenon" is, at the moment, 90% hype, and once that hype dissipates you're left with ... a television. Whoopee. I'm gonig to wait until this techonology becomes normalized and I don't feel like I'm being sold a bill of goods.
post #13 of 22 Old 09-06-2007, 02:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayron View Post

My first plasma (a few years ago) was shot in less than a year. "Reverse Burn-In" is what they called it, for lack of a better term.

What in the heck is "Reverse Burn-In"?
post #14 of 22 Old 09-06-2007, 08:16 AM

"Reverse Burn-In" was (or is) what Samsung called the issue my plasma had. When watching SD, I didn't notice anything wrong (vertical bars on the sides were black, I think). But, after a while (6+ months?) I noticed that when I switched to the few HD channels I had, the picture was better on the sides (where the SD bars were). It was determined that the bars had not burned-in, because that was the area where the picture was best. Instead, they said the rest of my display was wearing out. It was easiest to see when using it as a pc display, and with a fixed, bright background you could clearly see that the best part of the display was where the bars normally were.
Maybe there's another term for this now, but at the time Samsung said there was no way to repair it, and needed to be replaced.
post #15 of 22 Old 09-06-2007, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"Reverse Burn-In" was (or is) what Samsung called the issue my plasma had. When watching SD, I didn't notice anything wrong (vertical bars on the sides were black, I think). But, after a while (6+ months?) I noticed that when I switched to the few HD channels I had, the picture was better on the sides (where the SD bars were). It was determined that the bars had not burned-in, because that was the area where the picture was best. Instead, they said the rest of my display was wearing out. It was easiest to see when using it as a pc display, and with a fixed, bright background you could clearly see that the best part of the display was where the bars normally were.
Maybe there's another term for this now, but at the time Samsung said there was no way to repair it, and needed to be replaced.

Wow.. I mean WOW. I thought DLP's were immune to that. Since it's just a projection, would I assume that this means the actual screen wore out in the middle due to the lamp? Never heard of that one before. Does it still afflict all their newer RPTV's?

Robert
post #16 of 22 Old 09-06-2007, 04:07 PM

I could virtually have written the original post here. I'm in a similar situation where I only have room for a 42" set and I'm not looking to spend tons of money. The more I look the more confused I get. We probably have 20 HD channels on cable but would still be watching quite a bit of SD. We aren't heavy DVD users, though HD would certainly be nice for those we do watch. I too think I'll wait till things mature a bit more or I find such a good deal on a HDTV that I can't pass it up.
post #17 of 22 Old 09-06-2007, 05:50 PM

Valnar-
I was talking about my plasma (reverse burn-in). I replaced it with a DLP, which just broke a couple days ago (different thread).
post #18 of 22 Old 09-06-2007, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valnar View Post

Wow.. I mean WOW. I thought DLP's were immune to that. Since it's just a projection, would I assume that this means the actual screen wore out in the middle due to the lamp? Never heard of that one before. Does it still afflict all their newer RPTV's?

Robert

They are, he said he had a Plasma. But My DLP is out for repair after 13 months of service. Wanna know how much the part costs? 1600 bucks. Samsung extended the warranty to cover it and I have purchased a 3 year extension but never again. No more DLP for me, Parts are far too expensive. these HD set manufacturers are pulling a scam on the consumers giving only 1 year warranties when one part costs nearly what the entire set does. The guys that came to come get it for repair said they had 5 other Sammys on the truck to take to the shop. Id guess thats half the day collecting defective Samsungs. I guess my next adventure will be LCD.
post #19 of 22 Old 09-06-2007, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Valnar-
I was talking about my plasma (reverse burn-in). I replaced it with a DLP, which just broke a couple days ago (different thread).

I guess I read too fast. me = stupid.
post #20 of 22 Old 09-12-2007, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

I see I'm not the only one with this predicament. If I sit within 5 feet of my Sony, all the warts of a SD CRT are evident but who sits that close anyway. I know I never will. At 10 feet, the picture looks bright, crisp, and with great color. Even at 8 feet it looks great. Looks like I'll be on the fence for some time to come unless a sweet deal comes along that I just can't pass up.

One thing that does bother me is the apparent lack of quality on the new sets. Or maybe the technology isn't mature yet. I've had a number of TVs over the years and only had one go on the blink. Never once have I had to repair a Sony. So that is where my mindset is. And then I read about all the issues people have with these new sets. I'm left scratching my head.

I too am a musician and I'm still using a 25 year old and an 18 year old amp. Just replace the tubes every once in a great while. For those that think I'm a complete Luddite, tube amps still have it all over solid state when it comes to guitar amps. Bass amps are another story.
post #21 of 22 Old 09-14-2007, 09:39 AM

I recently stayed in a Hyatt that had a LG plasma. I was sold, I thought.

Found this forum and talked myself out of plasma (bright viewing room).

Almost haver talked myself out of LCD reading about "banding", "pixels," "buzzing,", etc.

Can anyone recommend the best value (pq vs. $) in a 50"+ LCD that does not have built in problems mentioned above?

Thanks in advance,

John
post #22 of 22 Old 09-15-2007, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycage View Post

I recently stayed in a Hyatt that had a LG plasma. I was sold, I thought.

Found this forum and talked myself out of plasma (bright viewing room).

Almost haver talked myself out of LCD reading about "banding", "pixels," "buzzing,", etc.

Can anyone recommend the best value (pq vs. $) in a 50"+ LCD that does not have built in problems mentioned above?

Thanks in advance,

John

The Panna 77U plasma has an anti-glare screen that might work for you. Don't know about LCD.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page