LCD Flat Panels Are Getting There..BUT... - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 303 Old 09-15-2007, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
oldcband's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,884
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Then the 81 series picture IS NOT FLICKER!

Its poor black level retention on the 81 series. Thats why I said I stand corrected if not flicker.

But thats why the post was said to be flicker. It looks like its flickering.

These are just my opinions.
oldcband is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 303 Old 09-15-2007, 09:15 AM
Senior Member
 
____'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcband View Post

Then the 81 series picture IS NOT FLICKER!

81 does flicker, but the flicker is less obvious to eye or brain.
____ is offline  
post #183 of 303 Old 09-15-2007, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
oldcband's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,884
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ____ View Post

81 does flicker

With all do respect I think we need a ruling on this one.

Flicker or poor black level retention. AKA floating blacks.

These are just my opinions.
oldcband is offline  
post #184 of 303 Old 09-15-2007, 09:22 AM
Member
 
WolfyA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ____ View Post

I don't have a larger version, sorry.

No worries, I'll use some upscaling
WolfyA is offline  
post #185 of 303 Old 09-15-2007, 09:32 AM
VFR
AVS Special Member
 
VFR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,027
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ____ View Post

I don't have a larger version, sorry.

A link to the original source?
VFR is offline  
post #186 of 303 Old 09-15-2007, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
xb1032's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybrulez View Post

I disagree. I think both TV technologies can look plenty sharp. The sharpness issue isn't LCD vs. Plasma IMO. Assuming your TVs are processing the video correctly and you're not adding any edge enhancement, in my experience it's been about your TVs contrast abilities. In the daytime its the combination of screen material and light output (Usually an LCD advantage). In a movie situation the TVs black level/contrast ratio gives the sharpness in the dark. (Usually a Plasma advantage)

I think using the word 'sharp' for 1080p is a bit strange. I've never felt 1080p was responsible for any extra 'sharpness' unless you're sitting so close to a 768p screen that you're seeing pixels break up the picture. At normal distances sharpness to me is the feeling of the image appearing to have clear 'depth'. This phenomenon is created by dark areas being really dark, bright areas being bright, and colors remaining saturated and pure. Pixels aren't the whole story if any part of the story.

1080p gives me more of a feeling of clarity more than sharpness, I dunno about you guys. TVs with darker blacks will always look more sharp to me due to the contrast and saturation. In my findings LCDs will look sharper in the daytime due to the black screen material, light output, and the anti-glare features. In contrast plasmas will usually look sharper in a dim situation because the blacks and colors are often more pure due to the higher contrast ratio.

C-net put it well in this review of the Vizio 1080p LCD. "Details in Departed looked excellent, as expected from such a high-quality source material, although compared with the 50-inch, lower-resolution (1,366x768) Pioneer PDP-5080HD, the Vizio didn't look any sharper. In fact, with the Pioneer's higher contrast ratio, it often looked more detailed than the 1080p Vizio."

I've lived with way too many 1080p and 768p displays to not agree.

Mind you that I've seen LCDs with darker blacks then plasmas so like a Hitachi with a horrible black level will not look as 'sharp' as a Samsung 65 LCD for instance in either the daytime or the dark. So sad...

Anyway for me sharpness has more to do with percieved contrast daytime or nighttime (a combination of ANSI and On/off) rather then pixel count or flat panel technology. Unless we're defining sharpness in different ways.. I just don't see it.

The Kuro can defenitely deliver a sharp picture depending on the content. I've not necessarily felt this way with the Panasonic. And on my Kuro like the Panasonic a picture coming in through HDMI is sharper than over component (Definitely noticiable comparing my 360 over component to my PS3 over HDMI).

Sharpness is really a relative term in what you expect to see as crisp clear picture. There are some who like things to look natural and say others are looking for an overly processed picture. A soft picture really annoys me so I'd rather have a processed sharper picture than an unprocessed soft picture.

When I say sharpness the first thing that comes to mind in a closeup of someones face on the screen. At 8-10' away what I see on the Panasonic (and often times even HD), I can tell that the persons eye lashes are blurred and not defined. To me this is not natural at all. It's soft. The Kuro is a step ahead of the Panasonic in this regard. If you turn on DRE on the 1080p Kuros it puts it way ahead of the Panasonic and makes the Panasonic just look out of focus. That's basically the same thing I've seen in stores with LCD vs Plasma. The feeds are degraded to begin with since they are split however many times and when you sit a good plasma next to a good LCD in almost all cases that I've seen the plasmas look out of focus.

Granted, I've not had an LCD in home so my opinion might change in that regard. The Kuro mostly delivers in sharpness on HD or good feeds over HDMI. However when you are talking SD I think LCDs have added ability to compensate for lack of sharpness. This is what I'm referring to (all other PQ aspects aside as since I haven't had one in home it might bring other issues like artifacts into the picture).
xb1032 is offline  
post #187 of 303 Old 09-15-2007, 10:35 AM
Member
 
kansasguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Go the the Plasma forums and read about the 200 hour breakin DVD crap and it will scare you out of a plasma quickly. I was sold on a plasma until I started reading more about them. Too many posts on mutiple forum about accidnetly leaving a screen on too long and having to "scrub" the image out of the screen. I want to enjoy my TV not worry about it.
kansasguy is offline  
post #188 of 303 Old 09-15-2007, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
johnnybrulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 View Post

The Kuro can defenitely deliver a sharp picture depending on the content. I've not necessarily felt this way with the Panasonic. And on my Kuro like the Panasonic a picture coming in through HDMI is sharper than over component (Definitely noticiable comparing my 360 over component to my PS3 over HDMI).

Sharpness is really a relative term in what you expect to see as crisp clear picture. There are some who like things to look natural and say others are looking for an overly processed picture. A soft picture really annoys me so I'd rather have a processed sharper picture than an unprocessed soft picture.

When I say sharpness the first thing that comes to mind in a closeup of someones face on the screen. At 8-10' away what I see on the Panasonic (and often times even HD), I can tell that the persons eye lashes are blurred and not defined. To me this is not natural at all. It's soft. The Kuro is a step ahead of the Panasonic in this regard. If you turn on DRE on the 1080p Kuros it puts it way ahead of the Panasonic and makes the Panasonic just look out of focus. That's basically the same thing I've seen in stores with LCD vs Plasma. The feeds are degraded to begin with since they are split however many times and when you sit a good plasma next to a good LCD in almost all cases that I've seen the plasmas look out of focus.

Granted, I've not had an LCD in home so my opinion might change in that regard. The Kuro mostly delivers in sharpness on HD or good feeds over HDMI. However when you are talking SD I think LCDs have added ability to compensate for lack of sharpness. This is what I'm referring to (all other PQ aspects aside as since I haven't had one in home it might bring other issues like artifacts into the picture).

Yes, a combination of processing and contrast ratio. If you get an LCD home I think it will also strain to give you that extremely sharp look because it doesn't have the high light output to fall back on. What looks very sharp and 3D in the daytime with the backlight at 100 percent power... ain't so pretty in the dark time.

I don't know what I am doing! AHHHHHHH!!!!
johnnybrulez is offline  
post #189 of 303 Old 09-15-2007, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
johnnybrulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcband View Post

With all do respect I think we need a ruling on this one.

Flicker or poor black level retention. AKA floating blacks.

Both. They're two different things.

I don't know what I am doing! AHHHHHHH!!!!
johnnybrulez is offline  
post #190 of 303 Old 09-15-2007, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
oldcband's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,884
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybrulez View Post

Both. They're two different things.

So on the 81 series post on the last page which shows the brightness going up and down, is it flicker or poor black level retention? Looks like to me the blacks can't stay black.

These are just my opinions.
oldcband is offline  
post #191 of 303 Old 09-15-2007, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
oldcband's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,884
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idjiit View Post

I don't want to pollute this thread too much with flicker talk, but to be fair here's a shot of the flicker that's going on with the 81 Series and its new LED BLU system - again, you can't notice it while watching it, and I personally do not "feel" it like I do with Plasmas and CRTs.



I'm going to continue this line of inquiry in the 81 Series owners thread...

Johhny

Flicker or poor black level retention?

These are just my opinions.
oldcband is offline  
post #192 of 303 Old 09-15-2007, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
johnnybrulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcband View Post

So on the 81 series post on the last page which shows the brightness going up and down, is it flicker or poor black level retention? Looks like to me the blacks can't stay black.

That is flicker. Poor black level retention you can see w/o the use of shutter speed manipulation on a camera. On the 81 in that scene I don't think you'll notice the floating black. Best way to show floating black is to show two different scenes.. and look at the black areas of the picture. One darker and one lighter.

I don't know what I am doing! AHHHHHHH!!!!
johnnybrulez is offline  
post #193 of 303 Old 09-15-2007, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
oldcband's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,884
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Ok then the camera is showing the effect. If I saw this in a showroom it would be poor black level retention. Which I was eluding to about this TV and some plasmas.

These are just my opinions.
oldcband is offline  
post #194 of 303 Old 09-16-2007, 03:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
oldcband's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,884
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Cnet's geek box used to have an evaluation in the geek box called " DC restoration" but changed it to "black level retention" because I believe DC restoration was a CRT term for "flicker"? And was caused by poor power supplies. Then they would rate it with a poor or good rating.

This is why I call flicker the same as poor black level retention in modern displays. Yes I agree that a camera can cause this effect, but sure looks similiar to the picture of the 81 series.

Maybe Johnny you can explain the difference between the two terms?

What causes flicker? And what causes poor black level retention?

These are just my opinions.
oldcband is offline  
post #195 of 303 Old 09-16-2007, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member
 
tombaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Monkey View Post

Honestly man, your strecting things a bit here don't you think. A 50" 720p plasma is the same resolution as a most LCD (1366x768), 1080p is the same. They're only lower on 42" 720p at 1024x768. Even given that, it has been explained over and over that if seated the proper distance away resolution is the least important aspect of image quality, unless your saying the ISF is wrong.

The majority of plasmas out in the market now are 720P, which in the larger sizes is noticeable.

I think the ISF stuff is a joke frankly. Its based on what? People with 20/20 vision? My corrected vision is 20/10.....I can see things clearly at 20 feet that most people can see at 10 feet. So the ISF chart for myself is completely wrong. Sure the father away you are the less you notice....but attempting to make it as a standardized scale is a joke IMO.

Once a person is 15 feet back then you will not notice many things. But in the 8-10 feet area....I and many others notice everything. I buy 40 or at most 42. I don't like close ups of people to have giant heads....I prefer they more or less look porportional to real life. In 40 as you state...the resolution is low....the displays are fuzzier at 1024 x 768


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Monkey View Post

I'm not gonna deny LCD sales are killing plasma sales but if your impling that LCD is killing plasma sales because of flicker your kidding nobody but yourself. Its more than obvious it's due to the fear of burn-in, lifespan, energy consumption, blah, blah, blah.

This again is silly.
In all situations beyond a room without lighting (HT Mode) LCDs look better and sharper....and all plasmas look washed out, fickery. People knows what looks good. You don't need to be an EE to know what looks good.

It's a creative fantasy to think that people are not buying plasmas because of fears. Plasma use more juice, they have lower lifespans, and they can be burned in. But even with all that People would still buy them, if they looked better. They don't.

The reason why Plamas are not selling is simple.
Plasmas look fuzzy in the store
Plasmas look washed out.
To get generic LCD quality....you need to payup big bucks in the plasma world.

In the end...the plasmas...as a group, can not display a quality picture that equals the LCD. The reason plasmas don't sell is because they don't look as good. Plasma holds a small lead over the current 8ms LCD in motion.
tombaker is offline  
post #196 of 303 Old 09-16-2007, 07:11 AM
adb
AVS Special Member
 
adb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: central texas
Posts: 2,640
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have three LCD's and two plasmas and find very little factual evidence in what Tom Baker is saying. Certainly everyone is entitled to their opinion.
adb is offline  
post #197 of 303 Old 09-16-2007, 08:12 AM
Senior Member
 
Jungle Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tombaker View Post

"I think the ISF stuff is a joke frankly."

"It's a creative fantasy to think that people are not buying plasmas because of fears. Plasma use more juice, they have lower lifespans, and they can be burned in. But even with all that People would still buy them."

This along with some of the other stuff you have posted such as "possibility of gas discharge" and "free" healthcare for us canadians, is tanking your credibility in these forums. I'm willing to bet even the LCD boys are thinking your streching things a bit here. Scroll up a bit and see what kansasguy said for an example and you see why people are not buying plasma. You really need to stop kidding yourself.
Jungle Monkey is offline  
post #198 of 303 Old 09-16-2007, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
brentsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Wildwood, MO
Posts: 1,942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by adb View Post

I have three LCD's and two plasmas and find very little factual evidence in what Tom Baker is saying. Certainly everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Yeah I keep reading his posts thinking sooner or later I will agree with something he says, but it looks unlikely at this point.

I think he possibly represents joe 6 pack, but on a video enthusiast forum. I think I'm just going to put him on my ignore list so I don't feel compelled to reply.
brentsg is offline  
post #199 of 303 Old 09-16-2007, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
R Harkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 12,087
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg View Post

I think I'm just going to put him on my ignore list so I don't feel compelled to reply.

I'll just be using the "manual method"
R Harkness is online now  
post #200 of 303 Old 09-16-2007, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
greenland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Monkey View Post

This along with some of the other stuff you have posted such as "possibility of gas discharge" and "free" healthcare for us canadians, is tanking your credibility in these forums. I'm willing to bet even the LCD boys are thinking your streching things a bit here. Scroll up a bit and see what kansasguy said for an example and you see why people are not buying plasma. You really need to stop kidding yourself.

Have you checked out his posts on the LCD forum where he has offered up solutions to the LCD flashlights defects by telling brand new owners how to slap hard on the back of their very expensive panel several times, and that will fix it. Before that, he stated that the same problem was of "an organic nature" and over time it would heal itself. He has also gone ballistic about fan noise on his new LCD etc, but when he gets to this forum, he is Captain LCD Sunshine all the time, and Captain Plasma Gloom and Doom all the time.

Notice that he does not ever compare the sales figures for the very large panels sizes. Could it be because LCD is just now trying to reach that level. He can brag all he wants to about LCD sales figures, but they are mostly padded by the sale of small displays between the 15 and 32 inch range of sizes.
greenland is offline  
post #201 of 303 Old 09-16-2007, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WaldorfSalad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nr. Boulder, CO
Posts: 4,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

Have you checked out his posts on the LCD forum where he has offered up solutions to the LCD flashlights defects by telling brand new owners how to slap hard on the back of their very expensive panel several times, and that will fix it. Before that, he stated that the same problem was of "an organic nature" and over time it would heal itself. He has also gone ballistic about fan noise on his new LCD etc, but when he gets to this forum, he is Captain LCD Sunshine all the time, and Captain Plasma Gloom and Doom all the time.

Notice that he does not ever compare the sales figures for the very large panels sizes. Could it be because LCD is just now trying to reach that level. He can brag all he wants to about LCD sales figures, but they are mostly padded by the sale of small displays between the 15 and 32 inch range of sizes.

Looks like the XBR4 is history....
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...5&postcount=36
WaldorfSalad is offline  
post #202 of 303 Old 09-16-2007, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
tombaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by adb View Post

I have three LCD's and two plasmas and find very little factual evidence in what Tom Baker is saying. Certainly everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I am sorry you don't think that there is Plasma flicker....but I think the postings here do show it exists. That you think people can not tell which image they like better and need some sort of re-education process to understand their own eyes....is simply amazing.

Put a plasma in a well lighted room....put a LCD in the same room. The LCD will look better. Maybe the top end Kuro has a chance....but its going to be twice the price as the LCD for size screen.

The so called black level advantage of plasma come ONLY when the enviroment is manipulated around the plasma to get these gains. Most TVs in showrooms are put in low lighting already...and plasma still look washed out.

Anyone who wants a white that looks like white and not bright gray....also buys an LCD. Plasma blacks without the whites are half baked at best.
tombaker is offline  
post #203 of 303 Old 09-16-2007, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Deathwish238's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,081
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tombaker View Post

The majority of plasmas out in the market now are 720P, which in the larger sizes is noticeable.

Yes most plasmas are 720p. But there are 1080p plasmas available for good prices(Pannies).

Plus, this whole 1080p vs 720p resolution business is nothing but marketing. They both show the same amount of detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombaker View Post


I think the ISF stuff is a joke frankly. Its based on what? People with 20/20 vision? My corrected vision is 20/10.....I can see things clearly at 20 feet that most people can see at 10 feet. So the ISF chart for myself is completely wrong. Sure the father away you are the less you notice....but attempting to make it as a standardized scale is a joke IMO.

Seriously? I think science is a joke too...there's no such thing as scientific method or facts

Good for you and your better than average eyesight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombaker View Post

Once a person is 15 feet back then you will not notice many things. But in the 8-10 feet area....I and many others notice everything. I buy 40 or at most 42. I don't like close ups of people to have giant heads....I prefer they more or less look porportional to real life. In 40 as you state...the resolution is low....the displays are fuzzier at 1024 x 768

Oh please...1024x768 doesn't even have 20% less pixels than 1280x720. You're so full of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombaker View Post

This again is silly.
In all situations beyond a room without lighting (HT Mode) LCDs look better and sharper....and all plasmas look washed out, fickery. People knows what looks good. You don't need to be an EE to know what looks good.

LCDs can be sharper...this is true. Unnaturally sharp imo. Things don't look like that in real life...and you're obviously quite concerned about a realistic picture as you're whining about people looking larger than real life. How do you go to a movie theater?

Plasmas don't look washed out. Especially not all of them. I've had an LCD, it'ld look washed out a bit when the sun was shining on it. Plasmas have glare, but they don't get very washed out from direct sun light...especially not a Kuro

Everyone knows what looks good, most don't know what looks accurate. People are drawn to pretty vivid overly bright and contrasty pictures with crushed black and white details with poor black levels and flourescent grass as well as sunburned people. That's what your average joe likes...but then again, ISF is a joke and calibrated pictures were completely made up so they could steal $400 while playing with your HDTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombaker View Post

It's a creative fantasy to think that people are not buying plasmas because of fears. Plasma use more juice, they have lower lifespans, and they can be burned in. But even with all that People would still buy them.

Now I can flatly say you don't know your facts and are full of ****.

Plasmas use more juice...yes this is true. But not nearly as much as people make them out to use as rarely do you have a scene where a plasma is displaying something completely white. Plus, if you really can't afford the extra $5 a month...you shouldn't be buying a TV in the first place

Lower lifespans? I feel like I'm replying to someone that gets their facts from employees at Walmart. Most plasmas have a 60,000 hour halflife. That's over 27 years of use at 6 hours a day. Most LCDs have a 60,000 hour rated backlight. Almost no one will every see their display to the end.

Burn in...plasmas are much hard to burn in these days. It's really not a concern to most people if they so much as take their plasma out of dynamic mode. Have you ever even owned a plasma?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombaker View Post


The reason why Plamas are not selling is simple.
Plasmas look fuzzy in the store
Plasmas look washed 9out.
To get generic LCD quality....you need to payup big bucks in the plasma world.

In the end...the plasmas...as a group, can not display a quality picture that equals the LCD. The reason plasmas don't sell is because they don't look as good.

I'm not sure what store you go to...but they don't look fuzzy or washed out in the typical Best Buy.

The reason plasmas aren't selling as well is because their pictures aren't quite as overly bright and/or as overly red/green as LCDs. Not to mention the average joe still thinks that plasmas break if you play games on them and think they'll only last a few years at most. Plasmas don't sell because they're not being marketed well enough compared to LCDs(Sony ads makes me want to buy a BRAVIA) and salesmen don't know their facts either.

The Samsung 81 is the closest it comes to an LCD having a picture as good as a plasma. I've never seen one calibrated...but I have seen other calibrated LCDs in good lighting conditions and they looked good...but not as good as other calibrated plasmas I've seen.

Edit: You've made me sound like the bickering posters I always ***** about


Deathwish238 is offline  
post #204 of 303 Old 09-16-2007, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
tombaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg View Post

I believe that LCD is destroying plasma in sales because:

1) LCDs display better in the typical retail environment, and most consumers are uneducated.
2) People have heard the myths of plasma technology and they persist.

I've had a couple of friends go TV shopping without talking to me. They felt they didn't need to get advice b/c LCDs looked so "bright and colorful, and sharp" and they had heard all the bs about plasmas to the point that they wouldn't even look at them. Both were terribly disappointed that they couldn't get their LCDs to look like they expected once they got them home.

As to your friends, are you saying that their frustration of seeing SD signals on a flat panel LCD would in some way be better on a Plasma? How would a plasma have been any better for them?

As to why people are buying LCDs....its because they look better in the environments that people are going to be watching them. Again if Plasmas looked as clear, with white whites, and as good contrast in normal lighting as LCDs people would buy them.

Many if not most HDTV homes use them with gaming. If you don't think that burn-in with gaming screen is STILL a reality you are simply ignorant.

Its pure arrogance to think that consumers need an education to understand what is their perception of a better screen picture. Plasmas are in fact cheaper than LCDs consumers are more likely to buy the lower priced item in all cases.....unless they see a difference and want to pay up.

Maybe you want to educate people that all they need to do to watch TV, is to close the curtains, turn off the lights, and sit in the dark to watch football. Sure sure the consumers are soooo uneducated to not understand what looks better to them....thats the ticket......thats why plasmas are dying on the vine.
tombaker is offline  
post #205 of 303 Old 09-16-2007, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
tombaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
my replies in bold.
fwiw I define washed out for plasma....as in normal lighting....the whites are not white but instead a dull bright gray, the blacks are dark gray....and the colors are not inspiring. This is how all Plasmas look at Circuit City ALL of them....no they don't have the Kuro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathwish238 View Post

Yes most plasmas are 720p. So when I put a Blue Ray to them, or properly display 1080i, they are less clear, and less detailed because they don't have the pixels to display. Yes some people can tell the difference in things like dot pitch....lower resolution is lower resolution.


Seriously? I think science is a joke too...there's no such thing as scientific method or facts

Have fun trying to saddle me into not understand all of Science. I doubt you understand the importance of test design or construction, or the inherent fallacy of trying to absolutely quantify subjective measures. A one size fits all length guide to figuring out resolution needs is a joke. If you notice you notice if not then you don't....the individual needs to look. It's nothing less than arrogant stupidity to think there is a FACT of resolution and distances and how they are perceived....nevertheless that is garbage you are pitching.

Good for you and your better than average eyesight.
my corrected vision is 20-10, the point is a chart based off viewing distance does not take into account the individual, and with my double the level of average acuity (with glasses on) I may see things you don't...or not


Oh please...1024x768 doesn't even have 20% less pixels than 1280x720. You're so full of it.
lololol....I never said that....ever....you parrot that out like you torrette's or something


snipped the rest

tombaker is offline  
post #206 of 303 Old 09-16-2007, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
tombaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

Have you checked out his posts on the LCD forum where he has offered up solutions to the LCD flashlights defects by telling brand new owners how to slap hard on the back of their very expensive panel several times, and that will fix it. Before that, he stated that the same problem was of "an organic nature" and over time it would heal itself. He has also gone ballistic about fan noise on his new LCD etc, but when he gets to this forum, he is Captain LCD Sunshine all the time, and Captain Plasma Gloom and Doom all the time.

Notice that he does not ever compare the sales figures for the very large panels sizes. Could it be because LCD is just now trying to reach that level. He can brag all he wants to about LCD sales figures, but they are mostly padded by the sale of small displays between the 15 and 32 inch range of sizes.

first you are a coward to not simply address a pubic poster in public, and its just rude too.

1. Yes a view good thumps on the back of the XBR4 eased out some of the torque placed on the plane of the panel...which is the cause of clouds. Want to see clouds? Twist your laptop screen at the corners for a few seconds. My XBR4 was cloud free after a bit of warm up and 3 good thumps. And yes you want to thump you LCD when its new...under full warranty and return policy. If for some reason a few thumps were to kill it...very unlikely....its better to find that out right away.

2. Others said and continue to say, that the minor clouds they saw at first went away completely after a week of viewing. They said that....they still do.

3. I returned the XBR4 because of its fan noise...which until I posted was Not part of the discussion on the XBR4 owners board. It is now. Others don't like that "with fan" design choice....while others just don't care. I got to sites like http://www.silentpcreview.com/ and care greatly about background noise during silent parts of movies. As I said in the XBR4 forum if you don't care about fan noise I salute you....I am just one of the people that do. And by the way....the fans in Plasmas at least are the proper large sized and slow RPM style...these XBR4 fans were like Northbridge chipset motherboard fans.

4. As I have said, in normal lighting, during the day, a LCD presents a higher contrast picture to the viewer than does plasma. Plasma distorts the picture by reflecting glare to the viewer. Plasmas flicker...LCDs don't. Plasma put out more heat.

If you want to sit in a dark room, and watch movies only....sure plasmas are OK. If you want to have an HDTV for living in the daytime, with windows, LCDs are great. Go into any showroom and compare the picture of plasmas on the wall to the LCDs....the plasmas are ALL dull, and washed out, and can not display true whites.

greenland, if want to address any of that....fine....I will respond. But spare everyone the little giggly whispering postings.
tombaker is offline  
post #207 of 303 Old 09-16-2007, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
greenland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Poor upset LCD fanboy. How ironic. The LCD fanboy got shafted by an LCD fan!

He whined about my post, and then he confirmed that what I reported was correct. Sounds like he could use a few good thumps on the back of his processor to see if it might dispel his brain clouds.

Both Plasma and LCD displays are far from perfect, but fanboys, like him, think that they have to proselytize for the one they prefer. What kind of person invests so much of their identity into some box of electronic components that they merly purchased!. Get a grip on reality, and get a life.
greenland is offline  
post #208 of 303 Old 09-16-2007, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
tombaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg View Post

Yeah I keep reading his posts thinking sooner or later I will agree with something he says, but it looks unlikely at this point.

I think he possibly represents joe 6 pack, but on a video enthusiast forum. I think I'm just going to put him on my ignore list so I don't feel compelled to reply.

You run along now with your self nurturing belief that plasmas don't flicker. And then talk yourself into thinking that the ability to display White Whites...is just a nice to have.

And then continue to enjoy your delusions of plasma grandeur to where if only, YES IF ONLY the correct amount of proper "re-eduction" was dispensed others will believe the image they see in plasma are better than LCD.

Yes yes it must be that....if only the masses could be informed...they could then see differently.....like you.

GMAFB, you are true believer in plasma....yes that is clear. Turn off the lights...tune out everything else....and watch your Plasma in the dark...its better viewing that way....your ignorance shall be you plasma bliss.
tombaker is offline  
post #209 of 303 Old 09-16-2007, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
tombaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

Poor upset LCD fanboy. How ironic. The LCD fanboy got shafted by an LCD fan!

He whined about my post, and then he confirmed that what I reported was correct. Sounds like he could use a few good thumps on the back of his processor to see if it might dispel his brain clouds.

Both Plasma and LCD displays are far from perfect, but fanboys, like him, think that they have to proselytize for the one they prefer. What kind of person invests so much of their identity into some box of electronic components that they merly purchased!. Get a grip on reality, and get a life.

Could you be any more infantile? If you don't have any real thought or observations about flat panel technology...why post....and if you don't want to read others thoughts....why be here at all? Care to answer that?

Update: If you have a plasma don't watch the Channel 2 news.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqAPlyiKeVk
tombaker is offline  
post #210 of 303 Old 09-16-2007, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
greenland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Grow up. You have a defective LCD set that you are returning, and you are making excuses for chronic defects in LCD panels, that you have to resort to saying owners should fix by beating on the defective sets, but you come over here and pretend that LCDs panels are flawless.

Like I said both Plasmas and LCDs are far from perfect, despite the addled claims of obsessed fanboys, like you.
greenland is offline  
Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off