Question about "normal" setting on widescreen tvs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-16-2007, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I was just given a free lcd hdtv. It's a 30" Westinghouse. Not a great tv, but it's much better than my old tube set, and it was free.

When I set the tv's image size setting to "normal," it puts 1.33 content in 1.33 (as it should), BUT it also puts anamorphic 2.35 and 1.85 (and all other ws aspect ratios) in 1.33 - with the image being letterbozed AND windowboxed. So in order to get widescreen content to fill the screen horizontally as it should, I have to switch the setting to "fill all." If I leave it on "fill all," it stretches 1.33 content. This means I'll always have to adjust the tv's setting depending on the aspect ratio of the content I'm watching. That sucks.

I've only tinkered around with a handful of other widescreen tvs, but it was my understanding that the "normal" setting should automatically adjust each respective movie/tv show to its proper aspect ratio (ie. fullscreen content stays at 1.33 windowboxed, and anamorphic ws content fills the screen horizontally).

So is each tv's "normal" setting different?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-16-2007, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
If you are just talking about SD, some have the ability to adjust dynamically to some degree but most don't. HD stations on the other hand should always be widescreen, but then you have the issue where some HD stations stretch 4:3 content, which you can't unstretch. End result is yeah, there's an extra control you have to deal with, sometimes.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-17-2007, 08:45 PM

Liked: 10
"BUT it also puts anamorphic 2.35 and 1.85 (and all other ws aspect ratios) in 1.33 - with the image being letterbozed AND windowboxed.

This would indicate that the DVD's you are watching are not anamorphic or, more likely, your DVD player is set up to play on a 4:3 TV. The player should have an option in the set up menu to change the aspect ratio to 16:9, which will send the signal to the tv to expand the image horizontally.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-18-2007, 05:33 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

HD stations on the other hand should always be widescreen

SIEVERS: that what i thought. but on a couple of local stations like nbc and cbs,
i get a 4.3 on most news and shows and commersials. then, one will pop up and
be in widescreen [yes, my tv and hd boc are set to 16.9] and then back to the
show and 4.3.

i thought if you had it set to stretch, it would stetch all of them. today, i was
watching cbs and the local shows were 4.3 and i couldnt stretch them with any
of the aspect ratio settings.

whats the deal? i hate black bars with a passion and the blue ones anoy me just
as bad!!
post #5 of 5 Old 11-18-2007, 10:07 PM

Liked: 11
If you're watching a digital channel all of the programing won't be HD. Some of it is still SD, such as the local news and most commercials. The signal over the digital channel is sent out that way with the side bars as part of the pi cuter. There is nothing you can do about it, as there is nothing to stretch.

Larry
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page