Development Receiver on Ebay - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-22-2008, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Someone with a bit more technical expertise than I should take a look at this Ebay auction and maybe explain what they think about the mods on this receiver. Maybe even know what questions to ask the seller.

The guy says the receiver was used for software development for WebTV.

NOTE: Auction ends 28 June 2008.

http://cgi.*********/Sony-SAT-W60-Ul...QQcmdZViewItem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-22-2008, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Bad Link but a search on ebay for
ebay item # 290240521044 should get you to there.

"So there are two additional reset buttons and a serial port on the back panel that were used for manually programming the receiver. These buttons do not affect the performance of the satellite receiver. There is also an additional on-screen link on the Home page that may no longer work or may get replaced by the next automatic software upgrade. But otherwise this satellite receiver works like a standard SAT-W60."

As an "average" UTV user I guess I'd like to know what/how the two reset buttons work. This extra "mystery" link on the Home Page might be cool too... if it gives you something usable.

I got a question in to the seller. I'll share what I learn with the group.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-23-2008, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Got a response regarding the "development" UTV. I replied asking why keep the homepage link a mystery. It kind of makes me suspicious (good reason or not) about this seller. I'll share any response with everyone.

"The additional buttons and the serial port would only be useful for a person who is adept at programming embedded microprocessors. I can't remember which button does what, but it's something like you've guessed. Relative to reprogramming the ROM, it would be trivial to figure out how to use the buttons for reprogramming. But I don't think it would be worth anyone's time to bother to try reprogramming the receiver. The additional link on the Home Page was for a feature that UltimateTV was planning to offer, but never got around to offering. Forgive me, but I'd prefer to let the winning bidder discover what might have been."
post #4 of 6 Old 06-24-2008, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Got another e-mail from the seller.

The "link" is something interesting (and probably dead or disabled) but not (IMO) a "Super" feature a UTVer would kill for. I agree with the seller that this UTV is basically a standard Sony W-60 UTV that just happens to have some Mods. IMO, they are all probably "useless" unless it's owner is a member of the UTV Development Group.

So "nothing to see here"... just another "spare" UTV for sale.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-13-2008, 12:01 AM

There should be 2 buttons, red and black. The black button causes a breakpoint in the machine instruction (OS) and the red is a vary hard reset button -- same as a power cycle.

The serial port is only good if you have a "Debug" build, usually from a "Daily" build as built by the Buildmonkey. If you have a debug build, you will see all the workings as the box boots up and operates. It also has a very limited shell.

A debug build also gives you access to all the extended Webtv boot codes. As you enter the code (while powered off) you both get the front panel light flash and also a shell message.

With a debug build, you can boot code into "Connect" and get a screen to connect to your own running WTV server, also called a "Personal Service".
post #6 of 6 Old 07-13-2008, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting. Now if the person that won that UTV wants to share his/her experience with how that unit works...
Reply Microsoft UltimateTV PVR

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page