Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 08-17-2008, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

A bit of FYI and asking for DVR tips on how everyone is handling the schedule one week in...

According to DirecTV, channel block 750-756 are the NBC Olympic Channels (USA,MSNBC,Oxygen,CNBC) together for easy surfing/guide hopping with Olympic specific guide data only (tune to the "normal" channel for non-Olympic program guide info.). I can't seem to get 754-756 so I'm not sure if that is only available to HD users or those with the "latest" dish LNBs...

I've basically stuck with series records of NBC (daytime,prime time,late night) and MSNBC (daytime). Anyone had success doing some advanced searches for their specific interests? I've been following Volleyball (Indoor/Beach,Men's and Women's) but the guide layout seems rather non-specific sometimes...

The NBC Olympic website also seems a bit spartan on a FULL schedule layout (like TV-Guide might show)... TV Guide did seem to show some nice highlights in it's hard copy and online versions.

I've had this issue every two years (4th time) with my UTV... how to best use it to catch as much of the games so I don't miss out. I can see my UTVs making it to 2010 but probably not London (10 year old DVRs!? Crazy.). So I can see some of these tips being put to good use for a while yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-19-2008, 09:26 PM

I come from China. I have been seeing many wonderful scene and awesome moment. I have the similar problem. Anyone can give some advice? lgodave, if you get an answer, could you let me know? Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
text(anchor text): I love hangbag
post #3 of 12 Old 08-21-2008, 03:34 PM

Try the following combination search:

Do a "Title or Person or Description" search for volleyball and also go into the "Category" section and select "Show Types" and check the "Other" box. This will bring up all the Olympic shows with Volleyball in the title or description. Inspect the results to see if there is a phrase you can use to narrow it down further (i.e. "beach volleyball" instead of volleyball or "men's volleyball instead of volleyball).
post #4 of 12 Old 08-21-2008, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Very nice tip. Thanks. Does a "Sports" or different category also work for Olympics or just "Other" works best?

Only issue there is to catch the stuff that slips past you can't always be too specific. So a general Volleyball AND a specific Volleyball (Men's,Women's, Beach) series record might be best... You can "surf" though the non-specific ones for tid-bits. I'd probably use last night's Women's Beach Volleyball Gold Medal Match US vs China as an example. You got the "live" prime-time coverage but then you needed to check out the "late-night" coverage for the medal ceremony, etc.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-11-2008, 12:34 PM

Just returned from vacation. I believe I choose the "other" category based on what I saw in the description displayed on the "Program Info" screen. You can get there several ways, one of which is to press the "Info" button on your remote when the show is playing or when the show is highlighted in the guide.

Right next to the episode title (not the bold highlighed program/show title) you will see several categories listed. For instance "Truck U" on channel 607 has the following description:

Truck U
TODAY 12:30 PM - 1:00 PM
607 SPD NO RATING
"Tow Hauler Build-Up" Sports, Auto (2008)
Converting the brakes on a tow-hauler. Series.

The section where "Sports" and "Auto" are listed display the show categories for that particular program. If they are not listed on the search category page you should select the "Other" checkbox. In this case no "auto" category is listed so I would check the "Other" checkbox to get programs from the same category.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-15-2010, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well my UTVs made it to 2010. Wanted to bring back this subject and see what everyone is doing to try and catch their favorite Olympic sports.

It might just be me... but does it seem NBC is going a bit light on the coverage? I kind of figured they might have larger programming blocks on their various "NBC" channels.

Had a bit of a scare yesterday (Monday) when I checked my Sony UTV... it had the dreaded "loss of power" issue and didn't record/cut off recordings overnight. It even had the "Dialing out to WebTV/MSNTV" issue which I thought for sure meant my Olympic Recordings and EVERYTHING else was gone. But after pulling power... taking it downstairs where I was going to plug it in for a download while I swapped in a different unit... It was OK. (Having no Sat Cables helped(?) on power up?)

So for the time being I've got my Primary Sony setup to record various programs with "XXI" in the title that I selected/recorded from the search listings. On the "backup" UTV that I setup after the "Power Loss" scare I have an AUTO-Record on all "XXI Winter" listings.

Might have to revisit Rambo's idea of a more specific search.

Wondering if my UTVs will see 2012 London...
post #7 of 12 Old 02-18-2010, 04:10 AM

Why not? I'm sitting here with a RCA 4:3 52" CRT projection, UTV and a stack of DVDs. I'm going try to skip HD and go right into 3D when it's time.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-18-2010, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eea123 View Post

Why not? I'm sitting here with a RCA 4:3 52" CRT projection, UTV and a stack of DVDs. I'm going try to skip HD and go right into 3D when it's time.

Has your CRT projection TV needed any bulb changes? (Does your model require it?)

Good call on the 3D. Should be interesting to see how that develops.

As for DVDs. I've been tempted to go BD... but I haven't seen any BD players/recorders (with at least DVD+-RW support). Don't see the advantage of "upgrading" if it means I have to continue to use my DVD Recorders...

As for Olympics I think I've gotten several Series Records down that I'm happy with. I'm sure I'm missing some of the programming on the "lesser" NBC channels but If NBC doesn't want to "advertise" their daily schedule "old school" then I guess I'll miss out.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-19-2010, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgodave View Post

Has your CRT projection TV needed any bulb changes? (Does your model require it?)

Good call on the 3D. Should be interesting to see how that develops.

As for DVDs. I've been tempted to go BD... but I haven't seen any BD players/recorders (with at least DVD+-RW support). Don't see the advantage of "upgrading" if it means I have to continue to use my DVD Recorders...

As for Olympics I think I've gotten several Series Records down that I'm happy with. I'm sure I'm missing some of the programming on the "lesser" NBC channels but If NBC doesn't want to "advertise" their daily schedule "old school" then I guess I'll miss out.

No bulbs in the old gal, the CRT projection uses 3 separate guns / tubes and a mirror that require periodic cleaning. The tubes are liquid filled and can also gather build up on the inside. I haven't had the deep cleaning done service done yet, but I try to keep everything in decent adjustment using the advance service menu. We picked it up used. The P52771AT has a maple finished cabinet that we were originally going to buy back in '97 for $2,799. RCA "blew them out" for $2,199 while we were saving up and our local shop couldn't get us one when we tried to pull the trigger on it that fall. I picked it used about two years ago for $400. I sunk another $200 in a service call for the infamous HV splitter issue and some circuitry that popped. Still happy though, it is what we wanted back in the day. Wish we had picked it sooner.

My 8 year old son is mesmerized by it; I can see the darn thing from two blocks away and tell what he is watching. I just introduced him to the original Superman movie from '78 and picked up a copy of the Donner cut of II. He loved it. We are on a big throw back kick on programming. Space 1999, Avengers '67, Indiana Jones, great stuff on movie night.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-19-2010, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Haven't seen the Donner cut of II yet... (But I remember an extended TV version which use some of that footage) Was kind of confusing years later when I'd watch a "theatrical" version and I'd wonder what happened to certain scenes...
post #11 of 12 Old 02-20-2010, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgodave View Post

Haven't seen the Donner cut of II yet... (But I remember an extended TV version which use some of that footage) Was kind of confusing years later when I'd watch a "theatrical" version and I'd wonder what happened to certain scenes...

I hadn't heard about the whole Donner thing back in the day, but his vision would have been a lot better had they cut both movies back to back. I suppose that a few years between the two movies and in a day of no home video releases, the audience would have forgotten the ending of I and needed a recap at the opening of II.

But WTF, 85% of the footage for II was already shot by Donner and he was fired? The Donner cut is worth it for his commentary about the issue alone.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-20-2010, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Was going to visit the Video Store (old school) and see if they had a copy... but got stuck diagnosing a VCR problem for my Grandmother... and missing the Olympics. My poor Sony was getting full.

Will try today when I return a "bad" used VCR (Audio doesn't REC) for store credit...
Reply Microsoft UltimateTV PVR

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page