Change in Functionality - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-24-2008, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I own a RCA Ultimate TV unit.

Recently something has changed where if I stop watching a recorded show, when I go back to it, it always goes all the way back to the beginning again. Also, it no longer shows the speed fast forwarding 15x, 30x, 60x, 300x icons in the the top right hand part of the screen. Was there some sort of software change forced out or is this a problem with just my unit?

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-25-2008, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Welcome to the forum New Jersey. Glad to see some "new blood" still interested in UTV.

This is a "normal" glitch. You'll want to "reboot"/"reset" your UTV. There are several ways to do this. None of which should cause any lose of settings/recordings.

For the "average" non-technical user... Power the UTV "off" (UTV never really turns "off", more like "standby" with the green power light "off") preferably make sure there is no recordings going on and personally I prefer "parking" both tuners to channel 1020 (My Shows) using PIP.

When it's "Off" pull the plug from the wall/power strip (I prefer not from the UTV itself because it "arcs" a bit, just make sure it is firmly plugged into the UTV and leave it alone...).

Wait for a few seconds (10 seconds should be fine) and plug it back in. It will boot up and your Icons and My Shows "memory" (show info) should return.

This issue does pop up on occasion so don't worry about it too much. Just be sure to keep your UTV cool by keeping it in the open and if possible elevating it with some plastic bottle caps to increase air flow under it (were the Heat Sink is)... Also make sure the internal fan is running on the front right hand side. This should avoid other more serious glitches from developing.

If you develop pixelation or non-weather audio/video problems, unplugging your UTV for a few hours or overnight to "cool down" is a good idea. It also gives you the opportunity to vacuum/clean the vents of any dust buildup.

Keep us posted on how things go and please post back if you have more questions. You might also find the UTV FAQ at the top of this forum a good read for many general questions about UTVs.

Later,
Dave
post #3 of 9 Old 10-25-2008, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

I've been lurking for the past two years. I have both an RCA and a Sony unit - the Sony having the single worst designed remote I've ever seen. Everytime the unit has given me trouble I've ended up on ebay buying another but I have to tell you that the $99 office for the triple play from Optonline is getting more and more tempting. I could save $50 a month even matching the services of two DVR's and HBO on both but I just hate the idea of learning a new remote and worse losing the 30 second skip forward for commercials.
post #4 of 9 Old 10-25-2008, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Well depending on how set you are on having a Sony AND RCA UTV... Don't forget that RCA UTVs can be set to DTV and AUX modes so you could use (I assume you prefer) a single RCA UTV Remote to control both.

I personally prefer the RCA remote since it offers more features and it's design is better. I also happen to have a TON of them floating around. Only need two but probably have more like 10 or something. New and Old designs...

Not sure what "$99 office for the triple play from Optonline" is, but I've been wondering about what DVR options I have in my future should my UTVs die or I want to save some money. I would want 30 second skip and much of the same features as UTV... I find my Tivo functional but not ideal...
post #5 of 9 Old 10-25-2008, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

I had two of the RCA units and then picked up the sony on ebay for $25 when both tuners on one of my RCA's fried. The Sony's offers all the same features as the RCA, it just has a crappy remote with tiny buttons.

Optimum online offers a deal where I live in NJ combining phone, internet and cable for $99 a month for 2 years, of course the DVR's and HBO would be extra. I've played with it at a friends house and the program guide is just slow compared to the Ultimate TV one and of course that 30 second button is gone forever. But the $45 or $50 a month I could save is start to loom larger everyday.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-27-2008, 06:33 PM

INSTEAD of unplugging the UTV...

...I have had luck fixing these issues in the past by telling the UTV to "run maintenance" or whatever it acutally does. Turn UTV off, make sure no recordings are in progress, then press the power button 3 times (the real power button, the remote won't work). The green light flashes for a few seconds (sometimes up to a minute) and the next time I turn on the UTV, all is fixed.

Anyway, works for me, thought I'd share...
post #7 of 9 Old 10-27-2008, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

The 3 times power button trick is actually mentioned in the UTV's manual as part of something we should do for "maintenance" (as MightyEric mentioned) every month or so but I've found it to be hit or miss to get it to work. I personally prefer an UTV "Reset" Code like 12357. This commands the UTV to reboot, just like pulling the plug.

You can do this from the remote. With the UTV "Off" (again avoid current recordings if possible) just type in the numbers 12357 and the Front Panel should flash multi-colors and then reset. After the green light stops you can power up the UTV. It may take a few moments to reacquire the guide and channel data.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-27-2008, 10:07 PM

cool...didn't think about doing this...will keep it mind for next time.

Thanks!
post #9 of 9 Old 10-31-2008, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Jersey View Post

... the Sony having the single worst designed remote I've ever seen......

Then you should stay away from D*'s current HD-DVR models. THOSE are the worst I've ever used. When I switch back to my Sony UTV remote, I feel like I've gone BACK to heaven.

Just my 2 cents.
Reply Microsoft UltimateTV PVR

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page