I finally found a use for the "Remind" feature! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-01-2009, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After all these years of using my UltimateTV every day I found a new use for an old feature. Whenever one views the screen that shows you the details about a program you are shown "Record" and "Remind" buttons. I've almost never used Remind and thought it a relatively useless feature, until now.

Being an active investor, when I get up in the morning I like to turn on CNBC to see what's going on in the markets. If there is news moving the markets CNBC usually has a number of short interview segments with a variety of market participants that give one numerous perspectives on the news. I don't want to have to record hours of their programming every morning just to catch these events. I've found that "Remind" is the perfect alternative to recording.

I set a "Remind Every Day" with the "Tune to Channel" option on a CNBC program that is broadcast around 4:00 AM. The box automatically tunes to the channel and fills the history buffer with the programming. If when I wake I find something interesting going on I can rewind back a significant period of time and catch up on the day's events. This is all done without the risk of having the box delete one of my saved recordings. Finally, I get to skip over their numerous commercials.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-03-2009, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi,

I had done something similar "back in the day" when we'd all get home after work and sit down and watch the local news (how "old fashioned" right?). I'd setup the UTV in the living room to Remind/Tune to the local NBC station which has 1.5 hours of local news, then National News,then local again... We'd have the news ready to go in the Buffer...
post #3 of 4 Old 05-04-2009, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Hmmmm, I didn't realize that you could set a remind schedule, interesting.

Still, when I have that kind of situation, I setup an auto or series record and set the options to keep only 1 show. I do this on say, Jay Leno, and often I never watch any of them, but there's always the latest in case I decide to watch. True, it keeps showing up at the top of myshows, but I never need to delete it as it will be replaced each time.

Now, what I wish was available was an auto-manual-record. This would have let me record some shows that have a different title each time they play, like Monday night football - title is the 2 teams so you can't series record, and auto record options are difficult w/o picking up too many extraneous shows. That should have been an easy thing for them to have added.
post #4 of 4 Old 05-04-2009, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd agree with the auto-manual record. Good old "VCR" mode...

Nice thing with Reminder too is you can setup all those "external" recordings for the "not important" stuff... Get that "VCR" setup to tape say 2/4/6/8hrs (depending on speed and T-Length) and you can let it "loop" back on itself and not worry about wasting hard drive space...
Reply Microsoft UltimateTV PVR

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page