My UTV is dead - can I load a new HD? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 31 Old 02-03-2011, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Currently using an RCA DWD495RG as my Primary (with 80GB) but since one of it's tuner is "weak"... it's been giving me a lot of spit/sputtered recordings which is getting annoying.

Been trying to patch up the Sonys to see if I can get some life out of them...

Dialing out for the OS upgrade has been a real pain in the butt. Local Access Numbers are Busy all the time and frequently "interrupted" (reconnects are always busy). Called MSNTV and talked to them about my issues. They tried an "access number override" to just dial a specific local number... and mentioned they could "assign" a custom "local" number to me if I wanted. (To reduce the busy signals/dropouts) I'm researching the numbers they gave me as they aren't "standard" local numbers I'm familiar with. Hoping Google is helpful in reverse lookup of were these numbers are "located".

One of the UTVs finally took it's update but has a dead tuner so that one is getting retired...

FYI, noticed that 411 not reporting a hard drive could just mean it has not OS and not that the UTV isn't recognizing it. While downloading the OS I could hear the drive spin up and "record" each part as it went along. So it might be best to listen for that vs relying on what 411 tells you.

I've always thought 411 was like the BIOS of a computer and once "booted up" would report any recognized devices. In my case the drive didn't recognize until the download was complete and installed.

Ya learn something new all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Microsoft UltimateTV PVR