Switching from UTV - My Take On It - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-24-2010, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know I have been interested in how UTV'ers have taken to the switch to other DVR's but haven't seen a whole lot. It is my intent to keep ya'll posted on the progress and satisfaction as I go from my UTV's to the current offerings. Could get long could get boring. Guess I will know how it is received by the number of views. Anyway

Here I start

I got an upgrade installed yesterday, giving up UTV service for good. In the deal I got one HD-DVR (HR22-100C-R) and one SD-DVR (R16-300), installed. See previous thread for details on the deal'.

The tech arrived right on time and was friendly and knowledgeable (although he knew nothing about a UTV called it a TiVo).

First problem: I have had my 18 dish mounted to a masonry fireplace for almost 15 years. He called his boss to confirm but they don't mount a fireplace anymore. The dish, an AU9-SL3 (I think) is about twice the physical size of the 18 dish. The tech indicated that high winds may be the reason for the restriction but didn't agree. I asked what my options were and he said mount to roof' I said not an option or mount to a pole. He had the pole and quick setting concrete. I asked when you leave, is there anything preventing me from mounting the dish to the fireplace? He said No. After I leave you can do what you want and pretty much agreed that mounting on the fireplace was the best location. More on that future change later.

We agreed on a location for the pole 10 or so feet from the house knowing I was going to move it later. He had the hole dug and set in a short time. The dish, although quite light, has a very substantial base. There are dials, adjustment screws and more bolts than a Ford pickup. There girth comes from the base not the dish! With his signal meter he twisted, turned and tightened all the bolts and was done in short order. The dish is canted' to one side. My research indicates that the dish is receiving the signal from 3 satellites so, aiming is not for the faint of heart!

With the dish aimed, he turned his attention to the wiring. I have 2 RG-6 runs from the dual LNB 18 dish to a 2x4 multi-switch. From the multi-switch I had 1 RG-6 and 1 RG-59 running to each of my two UTV's. Never had a signal problem. Well, they have a new system that only needs one RG-6 from the LNB. They call it the SWiM system. So the final configuration = Dish with SWiM LNB > Single RG-6 to SWiM Splitter. From the first receiver there is a coax running to a power supply. This power supply supplies power to the splitter (according to the tech very important to make sure the correct coax is input to the correct connector on the splitter). The other receiver is on the other side of the splitter. He was able to use the existing RG-6 runs to the HR-22 and R16 he said it didn't matter which receiver had the power supply. So, one RG-6 from the dish to the splitter and one RG-6 to each receiver. I know this may be confusing research SWiM' for more information or ask away. I am very impressed!

It took just as long for the updates' to come down as it did for all the outside work. Finally both receivers were up and going. He provided the HDMI cable for the HD-DVR and programmed each remote for the monitors at the receivers.

My appointment was from 8~12 pretty much every bit of it was used.

Before he left, I asked if I could get the hardware to mount to the fireplace. Expecting only the mount/pipe I was provided with the mount/pipe and the necessary concrete anchors to boot. I hope ya'll get a tech as great as this one!

Final thoughts = as far as the installation goes I was disappointed in the ability to mount on the fireplace. I was very impressed with the current technology of the SWiM system. Having been with the same system for 15 years, I have been out of the loop on current technology and what is available especially in the HD area. I will be doing more research on my configuration in the future!

Next time Power On First Impressions.

Later = the 18 dish is mounted on the road side of the fireplace and can't go on the other side. The wife thinks it looks unsightly, so we are undetermined on the final resting place for the dish. I may have to have a sight survey done, with her presence, to see where it will land. I know it can't stay where it was installed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-24-2010, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

That is too bad they didn't offer an installation "upgrade" for a non-standard install (For an extra $50-100?) and/or provide a more extensive site survey (Extra $$?). But it seems your Tech was very helpful and understanding, giving the limits of what was "allowed".

I've heard of SWiM before now (in other UTV "upgrade" posts)... which does give me some comfort that my existing dual RG-6 runs will be satisfactory for a Dish upgrade (Assuming the current location works for the newer dish... Some Tree Cover south west of my single SAT Dish may limit signal?...).

The only other issue would be for the Tech to decipher my Rat's Nest of Multi-Switches and cable runs.

I've had hit or miss luck using RG-59 cable for a tuner feed. My Sony B-2 hated it (So I upgraded/replaced almost all runs to RG-6). My Tivo doesn't mind (So it got some of the better leftover RG-59)... I assume your RG-59 was a "repurposed" Antenna Run?

With SWiM does that mean a Bedroom with a single RG-6 run (currently with a TV/SAT diplexer) could actually provide "two tuner" service? With no hardware changes? I'd assume the diplexer would have to go. Very cool either way. Opens up options. Guess I may have to read up more on SWiM.

You hinted at it but did the Tech provide any hints/tips/tricks on how to DIY the tuning for the newer dish? It sounds like it won't be much fun unless you have direct/live access to the signal feed. On my original Sony DSS dish it had a Red LED that would indicate SAT signal... it's replacement came with a "plug in" LED. You might have to find somebody that could lend/rent you that Tech's tools for a day. (Unless there are cheap DIY options available)
post #3 of 9 Old 09-01-2010, 09:51 AM

I figured I'd chime in here too, as I just replaced my RCA UTV with a new HD-DVR and a second HD receiver... My experience has been great so far - the tech that did the install did a great job - had to leave my old dish on the roof due to a wasp nest, but other than that, I can't complain. He used the old coax that ran through the outside wall, so no new holes in the wall, which was nice. The primary receiver/DVR is in my living room (which used to be the only place with DTV), and with a single coax run, I now have the same HD access in my family room because of SWiM - I still don't get all of the technical stuff on the new system (like the first poster, I really didn't follow the technology on this for a long time, since I didn't want to give up UTV), but it works great, plus I got whole home DVR, so the family room recvr can watch what is recorded on the living room DVR. This works great for us, we used to have 2 cable DVRs (one in each room), but you had to record it where you planned on watching it, which really limited the use of the second DVR. I was able to get the HR24 and H24 models, and I am very happy with the speed and ease of use, and it is amazing the number of new functions that they can add in 10 years! Since the regular season hasn't started yet, I can't know for sure how much I will miss picture-in-picture (I primarily used it for Sunday Ticket), but I think all of the other improvements have been worth it.
post #4 of 9 Old 09-01-2010, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

JSap,

Any idea if SWiM would allow your living room (single run coax) to also share the cable with a diplexer (for sharing an Antenna/VCR type source)? Seems like a LOT to ask of it but that'd be really nice.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-02-2010, 11:48 AM

dave - I'm sorry, but I haven't figured out enough of this yet to answer that...
post #6 of 9 Old 09-03-2010, 03:47 AM

I'm fairly certain I read SWiM and diplexers are not compatible. A bunch popped up on that auction site, I grabbed 4 for $5 (diplexers that is). I'm in a fringe area, so after I started reading about potential signal loss on the broadcast side using diplexers, I've taken a pause on installing a single antenna feed.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-05-2010, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eea123 View Post

I'm fairly certain I read SWiM and diplexers are not compatible. A bunch popped up on that auction site, I grabbed 4 for $5 (diplexers that is). I'm in a fringe area, so after I started reading about potential signal loss on the broadcast side using diplexers, I've taken a pause on installing a single antenna feed.

If I read it right... you were using the diplexer for the "entire" antenna run (from the dish/antenna)? I'm using one on a rather long run but it's after the original antenna feed runs to the basement and is "amped" and split to various points in the house. I wouldn't say I'm in a fringe area and I haven't noticed some stations dropping out on my diplexer feeds compared to the more "straight" feeds. But the general rule of thumb is the more splits/couplers/diplexers/devices/etc. you have on a line the more signal loss you are going to get.

I have noticed my diplexer feeds seem to have lower signal strength on the SAT side then the non-diplexer feeds. Not entirely sure if that is from weak UTV Tuner(s) or because of the diplexer but I'll have to test that out sometime.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-06-2010, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Its not just the SWM setup that can't be diplexed, any directv HD signal can't be diplexed, signal is too big.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-18-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post

Its not just the SWM setup that can't be diplexed, any directv HD signal can't be diplexed, signal is too big.

I know it is moot now since they dropped them all, but did that used to apply to their MPeg2 HD signals?
Reply Microsoft UltimateTV PVR

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page