Sony Ultimate TV for sale - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-27-2010, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In the process of clearing out my garage and found my old Sony UTV box. I have the original remote, keyboard and box. I don't have the directTV service anymore so I can't fully test it; but the box does power, display to TV and search/find satellite. 40-gig version, never hacked on.

Let me know if anyone is interested in this.

KP

(This is my first post; been reading this forum for years, just never had a reason to post before. AVS is a great resource and save me lots of time and headaches over the years.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-06-2011, 10:25 AM

i hate to be debbie downer, but i recently dug out my sont UT box that i hadnt used in years to see if the standard def picture was better than the crappy freebie DTV gave me with new service.

Unfortunatley i was told that because the box does not have the new product ID code i cannot use the box. Apparently theyve added this code to prevent pirating service. If i had not atctivated new service, but re-activated old service i would have been able to use it.

So i said to the tech on the phone" so what you are telling me is this box is usless now?"

"basically , yes"

Something to keep in mind...
post #3 of 4 Old 01-07-2011, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sed777 View Post
i hate to be debbie downer, but i recently dug out my sont UT box that i hadnt used in years to see if the standard def picture was better than the crappy freebie DTV gave me with new service.

Unfortunatley i was told that because the box does not have the new product ID code i cannot use the box. Apparently theyve added this code to prevent pirating service. If i had not atctivated new service, but re-activated old service i would have been able to use it.

So i said to the tech on the phone" so what you are telling me is this box is usless now?"

"basically , yes"

Something to keep in mind...
There was discussion on this forum some time ago... where there was talk about the need to swap (Marry) an Access Card to a different Receiver and how under some circumstances that is possible.

IF you happen to have a non RID Receiver (A UTV) for example that is still active with DTV...) You should be switch the card into another Non-RID receiver and via your DTV website account (automated phone tech support or even regular Phone support too) "revalidate" (Marry) the card to this other receiver. Used UTVs or ones that have taken a factory reset ((Code 2355 2355)) tend to need locals reset and a revalidation of card fixes this. So just inform any Customer Representative this is what you want done... It's true. (This of course would mean the card-less UTV would be "useless"... until it got "married" again.)

So YES DTV isn't going to help you activate old Non-Rid Receivers (except under certain circumstances) if you should need to replace a defective UTV. They'll want to transition you to a newer RID model (beware of Lease vs Own concerns).

The old UTV still has some life as a direct replacement or for parts.... It's just that DTV won't help you increase/maintain their population in the stream. It's still possible just DTV isn't supporting them anymore.

With that said I've been having issues with my Sony UTVs and probably could use another good one...
post #4 of 4 Old 01-11-2011, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Just let me know. The unit is going to the electronics recycle bin if no body wants it.

KP
Reply Microsoft UltimateTV PVR

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page