Do People Still Purchase UTVs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-13-2011, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have two perfectly good ones and one that had a problem with Tuner 1. Worked great and I think they had the latest update before I left DirecTV.

Do people still purchase them? I have all the original materials, and never swapped out the original hard drives. If there still is demand for them, would I make more money if I swapped out the hard drives myself, or do people wish to do that themselves?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-13-2011, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

As a current UTV owner/user/supporter... I certainly hope so. (Finding good "spare" systems/parts is and will be important for those interested in continuing to use UTVs.) I'd suspect Hard Drive swaps might depend on the specific buyer(s). With a potential "rarity" of PATA/IDE Hard Drives at local stores... it might be a nice selling point if you'd offer the option. Also, depending on the buyer's ability to download the software... if you can install the OS 3.8 for them... It could also be a selling point.

With that said DirecTV isn't going to make it easy for "new" owners/users to jump on the UTV bandwagon.

Officially, they'll want to only "re-activate" UTVs that are activated by their "original" owners (Meaning eBay'd UTVs aren't suppose to be able to get a fresh card and be activated by a "newbie" or even an existing customer even if they've got UTV service).

But, there is a "grey" area where existing UTV users could "swap" cards from an existing "active" UTV into a "de-activated" UTV (thereby activating service on it) and use it that way. (With DirecTV none the wiser.)

(Requires the account holder to "refresh" their access Card via their On-Line Account... maybe via Auto-Phone Support... or even Customer Service)

Since UTVs usually require this kind of "refresh" anyway to quickly regain Local Channels after a Hard Drive/OS Install or "Factory Restore"... it's easy enough to get DirecTV to do this without question.

If you check eBay rules they do outline the current DirecTV policy to not active "Non-Rid" Receivers (like UTV and earlier receivers are) and how these "Non-Rid" units aren't suppose to even be "compatible" any longer. While that isn't really true... DirecTV's policy is basically supporting a phase out of Non-Rids. So while this "grey" option will probably still be around for sometime... allowing say the owner/user of an old Sony B2 DirecTV Receiver to go out and buy a replacement B2 or other compatible Non-Rid receiver and "swap" cards... that market is probably limited (and dwindling more with time).

Many Customers will likely call DirecTV and be told "Sorry the UTV isn't available anymore... but we can send you out a XYZ Model DVR tonight you'll have it in a day or so... No charge, maybe a re-up on the contract/lease... all done." They'll probably take advantage of that and not look back.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-13-2011, 11:43 PM

Harden. Take a look at my post above and see what just happened to two of mine. I'm sending a PM.

Always ready to pull the lever on that La-Z-Boy.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-18-2011, 09:12 PM

I have a UTV I would like to sell. It was working in fine condition the last time I Used it several years ago. What are they worth?
post #5 of 6 Old 06-23-2011, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macanudo View Post

I have a UTV I would like to sell. It was working in fine condition the last time I Used it several years ago. What are they worth?

My experience is that these are older pieces of equipment with a limited lifespan on both the HD and the tuners. Of the 4 I've picked up over the years, not one hasn't had a flaw that didn't require a new HD or living with one tuner down. Yes I'm using a USB fan, the previous owner likely didn't.

That, coupled with DTV trying to wean users off them at every turn, I would say no more than $25. New replacment IDE HDs are at least that and then you have to fool with installing systems if you don't have a good land line.

Don't get me wrong - I still love and use our UTV as a primary tuner, but the days of $100 for one are long gone in my opinion.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-25-2011, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eea123 View Post

Don't get me wrong - I still love and use our UTV as a primary tuner, but the days of $100 for one are long gone in my opinion.

Same here. The last few that I've picked up I paid more for shipping then what I did for the entire setup (if that).

When I joined the UTV family it was during the $50-80 sell off period at RS and BB (Spring 2002). Probably paid the most at CC for a Sony Display Demo (Summer 2002) a bit over a $100 (they were always more expensive since they included a Keyboard and SONY). Last UTV I picked up at RS (Early 2003) was $50. Had a friend that I bought his UTV from him for $50. (He was a bit steamed thinking he'd be able to ask/get the $200 I guess he paid when he first got it... You know the type. "I bought it for $20. I'll sell it to you for $20 today." after it's been used for say 3 years and everyone and their Uncle can buy the same item NEW for $5.) I gave him the going rate on eBay at the time, probably wasn't even worth that... Several of the metal A/V plug ends were missing. Luckily of the two output sets I could make one working one...
Reply Microsoft UltimateTV PVR

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page