Sony DVR repair - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 09-04-2011, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
CCS no longer repairs DVRs. Does anyone know of another service that will repair a Sony SAT-W60 (replace tuners)? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-05-2011, 08:47 AM

There was another service named Johns DVR Repair that I contacted a few years back. My email discussion with him established costs as follows:
I do not stock drives. First I make sure I can repair the tuner (almost always), then I upgrade the drive. Repair $50 plus parts (less then $5 per tuner) and shipping both ways (you pay for all shipping). Drives are $125 for a 80G (aprox. 70 hours) or $150 for a 160G (aprox. 110 hours). Turn around time is aprox. 2 weeks. He did this in his spare time back in 2009. You might see if he'd be willing to look at it. His email was john at johnsdvdrrepair dot com. I sent him a contact email as well.
post #3 of 14 Old 09-05-2011, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Check the Repairs for RCA UTVs thread.

Sony might still offer a Flat Rate Repair for $93
post #4 of 14 Old 09-10-2011, 03:02 PM

Well, John's email bounced back as undeliverable. I sent an email to IESS at http://www.iessolutions.net/index.html, I notice they are in Harrisburg, PA.

Curious, do we have any remaining repair sources for RCA branded boxes?
post #5 of 14 Old 09-10-2011, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

If IESS doesn't offer repairs... maybe they'd put in a good word for companies that might...

Which reminds me. Doesn't RCA "technically" offer repairs? But at crazy high prices (back in the day)? Unlike Sony's Flat Rate.
post #6 of 14 Old 09-11-2011, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

John's DVD repair is out of business. I tried them in 2009 and never got a reply to my e-mails. Their web site is down too.

As for Sony, the flat rate repair is only good for products less than seven years old. The newest Sony UTVs are more than nine years old. I shipped them one of my Sony UTVs for a repair estimate (non-flat rate) to replace the tuners after their web site said it was eligible, and they returned it to me saying no parts were available. Any otehr ideas?
post #7 of 14 Old 09-11-2011, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Going old school... there were some DIYers that did this after getting the tuner chips... Course for those of us missing the mad soldering skills... there where other UTVers that supposedly took the parts to their friendly neighborhood electronics repair shop. (Think VCR/TV/Radio/Appliance repair shop) So if you could scare up the required parts and a manual (which I know Sony's UTV manual was floating around here on the forums... and a copy should be taking up space on one of my hard drives somewhere.) then maybe for good measure printout/read one of the good threads that discussed the Tuner Repair procedure... a willing Tech at your local repair shop might be willing to do the job.

Crossing my fingers IESS will have offer some options/thoughts on this front.
post #8 of 14 Old 09-11-2011, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I tried that too. I tracked down the tuner parts and asked local electronic shops if any of them could replace the parts. None would. It seems no one has soldering or circuit repair skills anymore (at least not around here) - they just swap out circuit boards.

I e-mailed IESS a week ago, no response yet. Let me know if you hear from them, will you? Thanks.
post #9 of 14 Old 09-12-2011, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiyu View Post

I e-mailed IESS a week ago, no response yet. Let me know if you hear from them, will you? Thanks.

They have a phone number too. If you want to try contacting a Human Being directly. Might be faster/easier. Although in 2011... you'd think somebody would be checking the e-mail everyday.
post #10 of 14 Old 10-10-2011, 05:11 AM

I think the surface mount nature of the chip proves to be the difficult part of the task. I have done the more "standup type" pin connections with and iron and vaccum extractor, but I think the UTV were all machine soldered. Is there even still a source on the chips? I have a good local guy who might be willing - Stanley's Electronics in Peoria, IL off of Hale and Pioneer Parkway. He's worked on my 52" RCA CRT and laserdisc player; even makes house calls.

I've sent some of my coworkers his way and they've all been tickled to death by his work (plasma TV and blu-ray player). He does warranty work for the local box stores and appliance dealers. Tracking done old parts is not his forte though.
post #11 of 14 Old 10-11-2011, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eea123 View Post

I have a good local guy who might be willing - Stanley's Electronics in Peoria, IL off of Hale and Pioneer Parkway. He's worked on my 52" RCA CRT and laserdisc player; even makes house calls.

Never got into LaserDisc but would love to pick an LD user's brain sometime. I've heard some of the cheaper models one might find on eBay might need repairs/TLC and wouldn't mind some Do's and Don't for a Beginner that has been tempted to buy Laser Discs from the local Half Price Books... but doesn't have a LD player and doesn't want to pay too much or buying a LD player that isn't worth being repaired (no parts).

While its probably a completely different beast from the UTV... finding a "Friendly local electronics shop" willing/able to do the work is probably key.

As far as UTV parts... (Tuner Chips) I'd suspect some old-timer fellow UTV forum readers might have a few on a shelf. Otherwise, maybe somebody on good terms with previous UTV Repair shops... might have a connection to a Vendor(s). Who knows... if any of them got any good at it as a DIYer. Maybe they'd be willing to do this as a little Hobby Business.
post #12 of 14 Old 10-15-2011, 01:42 PM

The autoreverse units and some of the multidisc players need to have the transport screw inserted; the internal track can break with the head bouncing around during transit.

Most units were made by Pioneer and rebadged for other brands. You can actually still get parts for many of these units from Pioneer. I'm not fully verse in all of the units, but yes there better ones than others. You can check on some of the LD sites for a run down. I think pretty close to top end units are trading for $300'ish. I picked up a low end RCA / Pioneer multiplayer for $30 that the rails broke during shipment. Another $25 for new rails and I'm in business.

With the advent of blu-ray you can now get uncompressed audio but the LDs have provided PCM stereo since the late 80s. I've picked up several of the old MTV Unplugged discs and found they have more songs on them then their released CD counterparts. My 9yr old son thinks those 12" discs are the coolest thing going, he just hates that we have to flip them after 60 minutes. I'll try and upgrade one of these days to a dualside unit.
post #13 of 14 Old 10-30-2011, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

I never got an e-mail response from IESS, so I called them and they said they no longer work on the Sony units because they can't get parts. Yet the tuner manufacturer (Maxim) is still in business as far as I can tell, and still offers these tuners. I'll try to find out if they are available. If so, I'm going to ask one local shop I know of that does circuit board repair (they fixed the video board in my rear projection TV recently) if they would be willing to try this repair. If not, I may try Stanley's in Peoria. Do you have contact info for him, eea123?
post #14 of 14 Old 11-05-2011, 03:04 PM

Jiyu,

Stanley's is:

7916 N Hale Ave
Peoria, IL 61615
(309) 265-0846
Reply Microsoft UltimateTV PVR

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version