Need Help Setting Up UltimateTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-03-2013, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello. I'm new to this forum. Just a few days ago, I bought a RCA UltimateTV from ebay. Yes it is old, but it was one of the best recievers as it has DVR and has access to the web via MSNTV. I bought this as a replacement for one of my old Webtv models. However, I don't know how to set the UTV. I would really like to access the UltimateTV service. Can anyone help me with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-05-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

That's going to be tricky. Are you an existing DirecTV customer? Even if you are UTV activation requires some hoop jumping. Mostly it's easiest for people that still have a UTV and need to "swap out" one for the other. Basically you refresh the Access Card in the "new" UTV. But starting from scratch with any non-RID Receiver (Newer DirecTV Receivers have this security Feature) is near impossible.

The WebTV/MSNTV function should still work... but DTV access is probably going to be limited to "Free/Setup" Channels (If you have an Access Card) and the factory UTV "Preview" function (10 Minute DVR).
post #3 of 11 Old 02-05-2013, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

I am a DirecTV customer, though I'm not the main person in charge. The guy who sold the UTV to me is the original owner. I am currently waiting for a new access card to arrive. The Webtv/MsnTv function requires me to subscribe to UltimateTV.
post #4 of 11 Old 02-06-2013, 10:57 AM

That will be news if DirecTV sends you a card and lets you sign up for UTV. They have not supported new users into the service for a couple of years.
I hope it happens for you.

Always ready to pull the lever on that La-Z-Boy.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-06-2013, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Actually, I bought the card from ebay. It was a brand new, sealed, and unactivated card, because for some reason, DirecTV did not want to send me a card for the UTV.

Update: The access card has arrived today. Now when I inserted the access card, it saids "call customer service, x711." What can I tell them about this system?
post #6 of 11 Old 02-08-2013, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Also here are some information about the system:

Model Number: DWD490RE
Serial No.: 5411D904
SSID: 8169 0601 90B0 027A

I also called MSNTV to transfer my Webtv account to the UTV, but they said I have to talk with DTV.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-09-2013, 11:45 AM

Can I activate a used receiver?.

DIRECTV allows the activation of used receivers under the following conditions:
The used receiver cannot be active on another DIRECTV account
The used receiver must be a previously owned unit; if the receiver was previously leased on an account it cannot be activated and must be returned to DIRECTV
The receiver must have a Receiver ID Number; older models without an Receiver ID Number cannot be reactivated because they do not support DIRECTV's current technology

If you meet all of these criteria, call us at 1-800-DIRECTV to order a new access card. We'll then send you a new access card and a postage-paid envelope to return the old card. Please note that a $20 fee will apply for the new card.
The above is from DirecTV web site. The UTV does not have a RID. They started this a couple of years ago. Even if it had a RID number they would not activate the card. They will only activate cards they send out.
Think you are out of luck.

The only users that are stil using the UTV receivers are the ones that have maintained thier cards on their account.

post #8 of 11 Old 02-09-2013, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

If what you said is true, then I have no further use of this system anymore. Looks like this has taught me a lesson.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-09-2013, 12:37 PM

You can get your money back on the reciever. Start a case. The item is not as described. I would guess the item number is 230920295572..
He says in the description "RCA brand Ultimate TV DVR/satellite receiver for use with Directv. Has dual tuners so you can record two programs while watching a third recorded program"

DirectTV will not activate the reciever. You can not record two programs while watching the third. This is your reason.
You can get a full refund, item plus shipping. He says "I will accept returns if unit is D.O.A. within 14 days" The item is not DOA so he can not say "ship it back"
Ebay sellers end up with problems if they put statments like that in the description

Take a look at how the card was described and go for that also.

You are not the first

post #10 of 11 Old 02-09-2013, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

I guess this case is a closed. I'll just get the Sony W250 Webtv Plus, which was one of the last pure Webtv systems before they used DVR's for it. To tell you the truth, I already have a DirecTV receiver. Its the D10.

But nontheless, thank you guys for all the information you gave me.
post #11 of 11 Old 02-25-2013, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
i could use a new receiver-send me a pm ---d
Reply Microsoft UltimateTV PVR

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page