Direct tv phasing out the ultimate service - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 101 Old 12-17-2002, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The new P4 cards are corrupt and so are most of the 3.7 updates.
Direct Tv struck an exclusive deal with sony to only support TiVo, but they could not just discontinue the ult services so they created a way to make you switch to the TiVo unit. Right now RCA is in a transition period it has discontinued the 490 and has not widely released the 495 so the stock o either unit is virtually impossible to find. After the cards or the download corrupts the HD the unit needs to be exchanged there is a month waiting list for Ult exchanges as of today, Direct Tv acts innocent and tells the consumer the manufacturer is at fault but the reality is that almost all ult unit are having the same problem after recieving the download or activating the P4 card, thus making the consumer lose faith in RCA.
We have to realize who is really at fault and who really is taking advantage of us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 101 Old 12-17-2002, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Is this just your opinion? If not, I think you'd better document what you've just charged, sir.

For what it's worth, my three UTVs work fine with the P4 card.

Mike Nassour

To the world, you are just a person. To a rescue dog, you are the world!
http://austindogalliance.org/ - local in Austin
http://adopt-a-small-dog.adoptapet.com/ - national
post #3 of 101 Old 12-17-2002, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Have you recieved the update yet and does your access card start with 0008?
They won't do it to all recievers just enough to have reason to discontinue service.
Most cards that start with 0006 have no problems as of yet.
post #4 of 101 Old 12-17-2002, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Sir...I qualify on both counts. May I suggest that before you start slinging mud around that you 1(qualify your statements and 2) realize that your problems are not everyone's problems.

I see you're a new member here. Welcome. You will find that this is a tight-knit community that is dedicated to helping each other. If you have (and you obviously do) have specific problems, then please post them and we can work through them.

However, those who parachute in and start slinging undocumented charges in their first couple of messages find themselves without credibility quickly. Once again, welcome, and please let us know how we can help.

post #5 of 101 Old 12-17-2002, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Let me start off my saying I can NOT document what athene024 have posted. But this is not the first time that I have seen this kind of post over the past 3 weeks. Yes it could be just another one of them INTERNET hoax. Personally I just bought a as-is UTV from someone who had a 8 month old
work UTV right up to the time he swap out the P3 card for the P4 card. Customer support told him that his HD was corrupted and they *RCA* has been getting alot of these call of people UTV stop working after the P4 swap. Told him to ship the UTV back with $100 and they we repair it. He sold it to me for $85. Hard drive it is. put in a 120 HD an keeping it away from the P4 cards just in case.this was just last week. Maybe it's time to send this bad boy to ebay, If what I been seeing posted turns out to be fact based. :(

WeÂre doomed. It will never work
post #6 of 101 Old 12-17-2002, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

First thing it is Mrs. Athene, second if you want prove call RCA, ask them about the P4 issue, no i am not the only one with this problem, if you would research the forum you would find that a wide number of people have this problem. Why do you think people are trying to find a way to stop the update? This is a issue that needs to be addressed!
post #7 of 101 Old 12-17-2002, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

All right, tell ya what :) . If indeed this is becoming an issue, let's start a thread here where everyone having trouble w/P4 cards and/or 3.7 can post their serial numbers.

And regarding the P4s, you do realize that the card swap is not an option. At some time, you will receive P4s and a week or so later your Hu cards will deactivate whether you swap or not.

Why? I'm not entirely sure that each and every UTV is reacting the same way to these cards. My card swap went without a hitch and I'm seeing no difference in operation whatsoever. OTOH, I have three of the last UTV boxes made. If I had to guess (and I'm not saying that I accept the thesis that there is a general UTV problem w/P4s) I might wonder if only a certain model run had this issue.

As soon as athene024 posts his symptoms, maybe we can get down to business!

------later----------

Oh and I stand corrected Mrs. Athene! What problems have afflicted your receiver(s)?

post #8 of 101 Old 12-17-2002, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

I have found a lot of symptons including tuner failer, error message(insert valid access card), no power, and what i call an update loop (when the reciever recieves the update but never wants to stop dialing).
I have also found a lot of the recievers serial #'s to begin with B0, meaning it was manufactured in the first ten weeks of 2001.
post #9 of 101 Old 12-17-2002, 02:24 PM

Liked: 11
I've been running the P4 cards in both of my UTVs for a month or two, but they are only running the 3.5 software.

I beleive one of my units has bad sectors on the hard drive, because it keeps rebooting when I try to start only one of the shows recorded, but everything else about it is fine. Just that one show. Now I seriously doubt this is sabotage on the part of DTV. LOL The other box has been running the P4 card the same amount of time and is just fine. I just got the replacement under my CC service plan within 72 hours by the way.

I think I can become a test subject for this hypothesis. Read on and also see my thread here...

I was part of the beta for 3.5, but cut off my land line in favor of a cell phone, which meant I could no longer be in the beta program. Well, my phone will be back on at 7:00 tonight and my contact in the beta program said I could get the latest beta release as soon as I reactivate the two boxes with WebTV and give her the e-mail addresses associated with them.

So, here's my plan. Since I have the P4 cards, am in the beta program, and have a box that for the most part is fully functional to test with before sending back for service, I will download 3.7 to that box and let you guys know if the box completely dies. If it does, no big whoop, I can just send it in as planned, because I already have my replacement. Besides, it will be good to find out wheter what athene024 says is true or not before I download the beta to either of my two pristine boxes. I'll let you guys know as soon as I get the beta installed.

By the way, I will not answer any questions about features in the new beta.
post #10 of 101 Old 12-17-2002, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I don't put anything past anyone, but come on. Would DirecTV, who prides itself on customer satisfaction (at least in ads) pull something like this AND make it so easy to figure out that athene024 already figured it out? Puh-lease. Conspiracy Theory nonsense..............................We never landed on the moon, there is no Santa Claus, Bill Clinton never had sex with that woman.......wait, those last 2 are true. You get my drift.
post #11 of 101 Old 12-17-2002, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I too have 3 UTV units, all running the P4 card, and all working correctly.

It sounds like you have a problem, but I think the related guesses about UTV service is probably wrong.

Ed
post #12 of 101 Old 12-17-2002, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

deepthinker, give her my e-mail address too :D :) (i'm serious)

Directv Subscriber (oval dish+ sat c kit)
post #13 of 101 Old 12-17-2002, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately i am somewhat on the inside of the problem, i assure you that this more than just a consiracy theory, research the forum. What is the chances fo so many people having the exct same problem.
post #14 of 101 Old 12-17-2002, 02:59 PM

Liked: 11
Woohoo, LOL. I just looked up at my last post and realized it was my 200th and that I have now become a Senior Member. :D
post #15 of 101 Old 12-17-2002, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I must be missing something. I haven't even noticed anyone other than NDA'ed beta testers saying they got 3.7, much less all the people athene says have been having problems with it.

Can someone point me to some of these allegedly abundant posts?
post #16 of 101 Old 12-17-2002, 03:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unfortunately i am somewhat on the inside of the problem, i assure you that this more than just a consiracy theory, research the forum. What is the chances fo so many people having the exct same problem.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, how inside are you? Come on, you can tell us. Our lips are sealed.

deepthinker: So how many posts to become an Advanced Member?
post #17 of 101 Old 12-17-2002, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

500 or 1000 for advanced member.

I have a little information on 3.7, just search for one of my post in the past month or so.

Directv Subscriber (oval dish+ sat c kit)
post #18 of 101 Old 12-17-2002, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, I know it sounds convenient but i can't say where i come in at on this little problem, but i assure there is more going on than what you believe.
post #19 of 101 Old 12-17-2002, 04:30 PM

Rather than it being a conspiracy, I would say that the problems experienced with the P4/3.7 combo is akin to the spot beaming problem from earlier. DTV cannot predict every problem that may arise.

Posting anecdotal evidence does not make the situation true for all.
post #20 of 101 Old 12-17-2002, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

deep thinker what was serial number of the unit you had replaced,
Did it begin with a B0, also did the access card that was in it start with 0008?
post #21 of 101 Old 12-17-2002, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

The problem occurs in the dwd490re usually older ones.
post #22 of 101 Old 12-17-2002, 05:25 PM

i have four utv units. they were all working fine with the p4 cards until a few days ago. three of the four are ok. the fourth one - with a card that starts with 0008 kept on telling me to insert a valid access card. the hard drive is also making a lot of noise.

i called dtv and they are sending me a new access card. i have the five year service plan on three of the four units (the bad one included) from cc. it should be interesting to see what happens if the card does't solve the problem and if i have to bring it to them for service.

i will keep you posted.
post #23 of 101 Old 12-17-2002, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

it won't solve the problem, in fact after you get teh new card the old card # will probably still be in the system info, like you have not gotten a new card yet
post #24 of 101 Old 12-17-2002, 05:32 PM

Then why did a Thomson cust. sevice person tell me it would be a better idea not to send in my broken, out of warrenty, UTV for a $145 refurbished unit... But... to wait a few weeks for them to release the new version of the 495 with new circuitry.
Also said they were still in the process of being trained on the new units, but knew they would accept P4 only.

thinking ....
post #25 of 101 Old 12-17-2002, 05:32 PM

i figured i would try dtv first before going back to cc. i didn't think it would solve the problem but it is easier than disconnecting everything and bringing the unit to the store.

i wonder if formatting the drive and having the software reinstalled would make a difference.
post #26 of 101 Old 12-17-2002, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

1. Thomson does not have stock of the 490's, to send you a replacement.
2. If you sent your unit back and did get a replacement it would not fix the card problem, you would still have the same prob and be out $145.
3. Of course the 495 will have to work with p4 in theory because there is not a choice in that, dtv requires everyone to upgrade to p4 but how does Thomson know that it is going to work, they haven't even been able to figure out the problem at hand, the 495's aren't even available to test this on.
4. Good luck in waiting for the 495's maybe you can get one in July
post #27 of 101 Old 12-17-2002, 06:04 PM

Oh I forgot... he said there were about 1000 test units out..

thinking ....
post #28 of 101 Old 12-17-2002, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

He lied, there were units available but production ceased.
Try to get a 495, impossible to get.
The number of units reached nowhere near 1000
more like 600, plus when they were released they still had the HU cards, not P4.
post #29 of 101 Old 12-17-2002, 06:32 PM

This was two weeks ago... he said they were revised 495 with new circuitry that was more reliable than the 490 and they were in the process of being trained. He couldn't answer all my questions cause they were still being trained... he talked for a good 5 mins. about them...
Some lie! I think I'll phone back and complain about getting my hopes up.

thinking ....
post #30 of 101 Old 12-17-2002, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Well think of it like this,wouldn't they already have trained their costumer service agentson the new feature and circuity if they have released all those test units. Think about what if the people who had the test units had a problem who would they call if rca knows nothing about them. The only major difference is the 70 hours recording time.
Closed Thread Microsoft UltimateTV PVR

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page