Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
save it from being archived.
post #63 of 90 Old 08-22-2007, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Another 2 thumbs WAY up for CCS! I just had my 2 UTVs repaired and upgraded. Fast, friendly, cheap! Highly recommended.
post #64 of 90 Old 08-22-2007, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

"Fast, friendly, cheap"

I assume they still have the same flat rate price for UTV Tuner repairs?

I'd agree for those looking to fix a UTV... CCS gets it done right.
post #65 of 90 Old 08-23-2007, 11:08 AM

yep, still $130 per UTV (and only $69 to upgrade the HD while they were in there).
post #66 of 90 Old 08-23-2007, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

160GB (137GB usable)drive? Not bad.
post #67 of 90 Old 12-10-2007, 11:23 PM

clean the fan inlets and outlets! if you could access for the bearing then put a pee amount of oil or grease on it ( enough amount only to lubricate it) clean also some heatsinks of your TV! some models trigger the fan speed to increase when internal temperature of the set increases.
post #68 of 90 Old 07-28-2008, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
saving from being archived
post #69 of 90 Old 12-23-2009, 09:34 PM

do these services still work? i just came across an UTV and would like to put it to use
post #70 of 90 Old 12-23-2009, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Welcome to the UTV forum.

Feel free to post to the forum the details of your UTV and it's condition and/or issues you might be having with it's installation.

You didn't exactly say what kind of problems you might be having. If the tuner(s) aren't flaky then it's likely fellow UTV forum members can guide you in some troubleshooting and ways to reduce/avoid experiencing problems with your UTV.

CCS is probably still providing UltimateTV repair services. (They also have a nice Troubleshooting section that can be very helpful in explaining why the UTV is acting the way it is...) The other providers? Hit and Miss, probably. Regardless, it wouldn't hurt to double check any phone #s/websites/e-mail links you have. With the current holiday season (and weather) in play you might not get very quick replies... but give it a few days and you should get a response.

Keep us posted if you learn anything "new" about repair services.

Also, add to a discussion about your specific UTV if you like or start a new one if searching for your specific issue doesn't come up with anything.
post #71 of 90 Old 12-24-2009, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Is DirecTV still activating and supporting these units?
post #72 of 90 Old 05-08-2010, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRatPatrol View Post

Is DirecTV still activating and supporting these units?

Support, not so much. Billing $9.95/mo for UTV service, yep. I had a tough time navigating to the correct rep to get my UTV account going 3 years ago, but it should still be available. I can imagine they'll push hard for their DVR before allowing a new UTV.
post #73 of 90 Old 05-11-2010, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eea123 View Post

Support, not so much. Billing $9.95/mo for UTV service, yep. I had a tough time navigating to the correct rep to get my UTV account going 3 years ago, but it should still be available. I can imagine they'll push hard for their DVR before allowing a new UTV.

I'm really surprised people still have these, with all the HD available now. Although, my parents still have one hooked up in their bedroom, but they don't have the UTV service turned on.

The only thing I miss from UTV is PIP. I'm surprised DirecTV doesn't have it on their new DVRs.

BTW the new HR24 HD DVR is super fast now.
post #74 of 90 Old 05-27-2010, 08:57 PM

Oh yea, there's still people using them! I'm getting ready to switch over to Uverse. I love my UTV but it's time to sadly move on.

If anyone needs a UTV please email me. I actually have two. My original UTV I upgraded to 120gb but the drive died last year. Both tuners work perfectly though. The 2nd UTV I have I bought on ebay, it only has the 30gbHD, but both tuners work on that one as well.

If anyone is interested please contact me, I don't want to throw them out. I also have the wireless keyboard, 1 remote, and original manuals. I still have the UTV OS image, so if someone is really interested I could pick up a 120gb drive and put the image on the for them beforehand.

Thanks, Ed
post #75 of 90 Old 05-28-2010, 03:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Nice to see there are "new" members visiting here too...

Welcome to the forum. Sad to hear you are leaving the DTV and UTV fold.

These are RCA UTVs? Typically they had 40GB (or 80GB) drives depending on model (35 or 70 Hour Capacity).

Have a good weekend and stay in touch. It's quiet around here.

I might follow up on your post next week... if no one else snags them.
post #76 of 90 Old 05-30-2010, 07:04 AM

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the warm welcome! I've had DTV/UTV for a looong time, I hate giving it up but whenever I call DTV for support or questions they give me a hassle. I usually know more about UTV than they do, and they always try to get me to upgrade.

I was going to put them both on ebay but I did some searching and found this forum, so I thought if there are any die-hard UTV folks still out there I'd give them first dibs.

My original unit (owned since new) is in perfect condition aside from the dead 120gb drive. The 2nd unit I purchased on ebay is a little rough on the outside but works perfectly. Both are DWD490RE's. Yes, you're right the smaller drive is a 40gb, I forget the actual size earlier.

If you're interested or anyone else feel free to contact me. I'm watching the last of my recorded shows then I will be retiring the UTV's...

Thanks, Ed
post #77 of 90 Old 06-15-2010, 03:03 AM

Ed, you have a PM.
post #78 of 90 Old 08-28-2010, 04:29 AM

I just came across this on CCS's website (http://www.ccscorporation.net/):

Notice: We No Longer offer Service on Ultimate TV due to parts unavailability.
post #79 of 90 Old 08-28-2010, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eea123 View Post

I just came across this on CCS's website (http://www.ccscorporation.net/):

Notice: We No Longer offer Service on Ultimate TV due to parts unavailability.

As much as I liked the UTV's, I can understand. Why make parts for a machine they don't make or isn't in service anymore? It all comes down to costs.
post #80 of 90 Old 08-29-2010, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRatPatrol View Post

As much as I liked the UTV's, I can understand. Why make parts for a machine they don't make or isn't in service anymore? It all comes down to costs.

Fair enough, but people still collect and fix old radios, old cars, ... I read it more as CCS ran through their supply and normal channels of replacement tuner chips and won't be able to offer service on the units anymore.
post #81 of 90 Old 08-29-2010, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Well then that must mean for any "collectors" (now or the future) they must find the relevant parts and perform repairs themselves or find someone like CCS to do the repairs. (Sony still seems to allow a flat rate repair for $84 if it meets some basic requirements. The one I'm curious about is...

"Units older than seven (7) years from last market date." which may mean you'll spend a bit more money... (My last UTV was bought around March 2003 by summer 2003 I was told from local Radio Shacks that there stock had been "destroyed". So maybe 2011 then if they go by market "year"?)

https://eservice.sony.com/webrma/web/index.do
post #82 of 90 Old 12-13-2010, 07:30 PM

Hey all, what the h3ll?!?!?!? I was going through the garage the other day, and saw a few UTVs in boxes! Hell, got a couple older Dtv HD units (3-bird variety) & some DTivos (SD). So, anybody interested in these? I think I've got remotes, maybe a keyboard or two. And I got a stack of these old cards with footballs on em.

So wow...peeps still posting, and still using these. These were the shiznit, no doubt. Too bad MS didn't take these to HD...the OS was hands-down the best.

Hey, what the hell happened to that NLogN trouble-maker? Didn't he have some cage-match with some dude on here? Klassic owes me a beer, and I heard kazak hit the lottery again...
post #83 of 90 Old 12-13-2010, 07:33 PM

post to receive email notifications of repliez... LOLz
post #84 of 90 Old 12-13-2010, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recursion View Post

Hey all, what the h3ll?!?!?!? I was going through the garage the other day, and saw a few UTVs in boxes! Hell, got a couple older Dtv HD units (3-bird variety) & some DTivos (SD). So, anybody interested in these?

I know my supply of fully functional UTVs are a bit low. Wouldn't mind some additional info.

RCA/Sony 40GB or more, tuner status, History, etc. etc.

I recently found my remaining Pre-UTV standard receivers (Sony A55 and B55) on the shelf downstairs (Had sold my trusty B2 shortly after getting my UTVs)... I've been debating how best to find them a home since besides myself it seems DTV doesn't want them (or any other non-Rid receiver) seeing the light of day again.

Anyone need some "regular" Sony receivers and maybe some "parts and/or single tuner" UTVs?

With Repair options for UTV getting thin... having a few spare parts around is useful.
post #85 of 90 Old 09-04-2011, 10:01 PM

CCS no longer repairs DVRs. Does anyone know of another service that will repair a Sony SAT-W60 (replace tuners)?
post #86 of 90 Old 09-05-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiyu View Post

CCS no longer repairs DVRs. Does anyone know of another service that will repair a Sony SAT-W60 (replace tuners)?

See also my reply under your seperate topic. There was another service named Johns DVR Repair that I contacted a few years back. My email discussion with him established costs as follows:
I do not stock drives. First I make sure I can repair the tuner (almost always), then I upgrade the drive. Repair $50 plus parts (less then $5 per tuner) and shipping both ways (you pay for all shipping). Drives are $125 for a 80G (aprox. 70 hours) or $150 for a 160G (aprox. 110 hours). Turn around time is aprox. 2 weeks. He did this in his spare time back in 2009. You might see if he'd be willing to look at it. His email was john at johnsdvdrrepair dot com. I sent him a contact email as well.
post #87 of 90 Old 09-05-2011, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Not sure johnsdvdrrepair is valid... As I recall besides his e-mail he had a simple Webpage setup... I didn't find the site after doing some searches here and Google.

Not certain if Sony will offer to repair it under it's flat rate repair cost (Now $93.00) for fixing the Sony UTV.

Look further back on this thread for my comment on 8-29-10 for details.

When I put in an inquiry for a SATW60 (no purchase date) today I got this:

The cost to repair this unit under our Flat Rate Program is $93.00, (plus any applicable taxes). Return shipping is included in this price.

Based upon the information you have entered, your unit appears to qualify for the Flat Rate pricing quoted above. Not covered under our Flat Rate pricing is the following:

Units requiring replacement of display devices*
Internal corrosion or moisture damage
Cosmetic parts **
Physical abuse.
Misuse or excessive wear. ***
Units older than seven (7) years from last market date.
Damage resulting from prior service.

If upon examination, it is determined that your unit does not qualify for Flat Rate pricing, then a parts and/or labor repair quote will be given to you. If you approve your estimate, payment must be made in order to proceed with repair. If you refuse your estimate, you can elect to have your unit disposed at our facility or your unit can be returned to you for a nominal fee. All repaired units will be returned to you with a 90 day part and labor warranty covering the entire unit.

During the course of the repair of your unit, it is possible that data, software or other materials stored or preserved on your unit will be lost or reformatted. It is your responsibility to backup any data, software or any other material. If you are not comfortable with performing this backup process, we suggest that you contact a service professional. Sony does not perform this type of service and will not be responsible for any damage or loss of material.

* Projection and TV picture tubes, optical blocks, Plasma panels and LCD panels

** Cosmetic parts (such as: cabinets)

*** Product used commercially or used in a manner other than intended or designed.

The parts used in your repair may be new or reconditioned. Reconditioned parts meet the same factory specifications for new parts and are their functional equivalent.
post #88 of 90 Old 09-11-2011, 02:35 PM

John's DVD Repair is either out of business or has changed his web conncetions. I tried him in 2009 and got no response to multiple e-mails.
post #89 of 90 Old 09-11-2011, 02:39 PM

As noted in the conditions you posted, Sony will not repair items that are more than 7 years beyond manufacture date under the flat rate program. I sent one of my units back to them in 2009 for a non-flat-rate repair estimate, and they returned it to me unrepaired, saying no parts (tuners) were available for these units anymore. Any other ideas?
post #90 of 90 Old 10-29-2011, 11:42 AM

Going to try to run this down a little further since CCS has ceased repairs. Looks like Maxim uses the MAX2120 as the replacement to the 2104 chip.
Reply Microsoft UltimateTV PVR

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page