Utv & Burning Dvd's - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 01-01-2004, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anybody know if a Sony W60 UTV can be connected to an external DVD burner (Sony or other) to record programming already on the W60 hard drive? Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-01-2004, 11:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Not the way you're thinking. Those USB ports aren't going to allow you to transfer video to a DVD burner. For starters, I'm sure they're only USB 1.1, which means they're too slow. Second, there doesn't appear to be a way to install drivers for a recorder on the UTV in order to communicate with the burner. Third, the video isn't formatted correctly for a DVD, so some sort of rendering process would have to take place to convert the video to a format a DVD player would be able to understand.

You're better off using the S-Video out to send it to a computer or a standalone burner. Some here have had some success unlucking the drive with their PC and transferring video off the UTV, but I'm not sure what the final result has been, or if they have been able to create a DVD with those files. However, the quick and dirty method I have used is to use a mini DV camcorder as an intermediate step before using the the firewire port to transfer it into my PC. I used to use an ATI All-In-Wonder card to send it directly to the PC, but I get better results with the camcorder/firewire combo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-01-2004, 11:34 PM

Network hit the nail on the head the mini DVD to firewire is the best way to go. Great Quality and very fast (real time) ,their are plenty of dvd Authoring programs out there that will take the resulting file (with little or no modification) and turn it into a Volume that can be burnt with Nero to dvd that will work in a set top DVD player.

As far as the USB 1.1 ports are concerned keyboard and mouse for now
but thats now. 11 Mbits will move video files at the rate of about 6 gigs an hour. But there is a hurdle besides a usb nic driver (Try every 3com usb nic out there, bet at least one has the drivers preloaded on the UTV)this unit does not exist in a vacuum.

There is a way to transfer the files from the utv to computer but nothing to play them with. I have moved about seven hours of video(7 GIG) and have tried...

1. Videolan (they claimed it would play all digital sat media UTV Tivo ect.)
but no luck. free for download also on the Nov MaxPC CD.
2. Power DVD 2.2 through 5.5 (and most other cyberlink software)
3. TMPGEnc (Plus and DVD author)
4. Virtualdub
5. Windows Media players 6.4 thru 9.?
6. Any DVD software I could get my hands on

The Demux to transfer files to hardrive is called DVR.EXE
Yes all that work and time unlocking the drive moving the files and no player or codecs yet. The players or encoders that did not immediately crash or lock up ran the file at 60 frames per second no audio. A few clear frames then frames get rendered way to fast ,very blocky .
Try AVItoDVD you will see what I mean.
If anyone has progressed further than that please post it .
Live long and Transfer.

Hal90002010 Conquerer of the Great Barrier
post #4 of 13 Old 01-02-2004, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I read in another thread (Tivo) that a DVD Recorder can be successfully connected to the Sony Tivo T60 by merely connecting the DVD Recorder in place of a VCR. Will this work on the W-60? Thanks again.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-02-2004, 01:07 PM

Yes, but it seems now you are talking about the analog inputs .
The DVD They are talking about sounds like one of the new Set top recorders not a DVD burner that you would put in a computer.

Hal90002010 Conquerer of the Great Barrier
post #6 of 13 Old 01-02-2004, 02:05 PM

Yes it will definitely work. I have my Phillips DVD+R hooked up to my UTV via the A/V outputs on the back of the UTV. I can use the DVD recorder to record programs I have on the UTV and can then watch on my regular DVD player and my portable DVD player.

I have been using this to move some of my daughter's movies from the UTV to DVD.

Kevin
post #7 of 13 Old 01-06-2004, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin OB
Yes it will definitely work. I have my Phillips DVD+R hooked up to my UTV via the A/V outputs on the back of the UTV. I can use the DVD recorder to record programs I have on the UTV and can then watch on my regular DVD player and my portable DVD player.

I have been using this to move some of my daughter's movies from the UTV to DVD.

Kevin
How does the quality compare to the original and how long of a recording can you get on one DVD?
post #8 of 13 Old 01-08-2004, 05:48 AM

The picture quality is pretty good when I record at 1, 2, or 2.5 hours. It starts to degrade when I record at 3+ hours per DVD. The sound quality is Ok too, but Dolby 5.1 goes to 2 channel, so the sound is a lot lower (I have to turn my TV volume up much higher with DVD+R than UTV. On my Philips, I can record up to 6 hours on one DVD, but I am planning on trying to keep all my DVD+R's at 2.5 hours or less.
post #9 of 13 Old 01-08-2004, 09:22 AM

NetworkTV and Hal90002010, can you clerify a little about the mini DVD to firewire setup? what equipment do I need and if it works with RCA UTV?
post #10 of 13 Old 01-08-2004, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Don't know anything about recording DVD's. May sound like a stupid question but how long does it take to record on a DVD a 60 minute show recorded on my Sony UTV? Also, does anybody know about or have experience with the Sony RDR-GX7 DVD Recorder being connected to a Sony SAT-W60 UTV? Thanks.
post #11 of 13 Old 01-08-2004, 01:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally posted by Spirit
NetworkTV and Hal90002010, can you clerify a little about the mini DVD to firewire setup? what equipment do I need and if it works with RCA UTV?
Here's what you need:

1) Mini DV camcorder
2) Fast computer with a firewire port, a lot of hard drive space and a DVD burner.
3) Some form of editing software and (if the editing software doesn't have it built in) DVD buring software.
4) RCA or S-Video/RCA audio combo to record to camcorder.

To make it all work, dub the show to miniDV. Then use the firewire connection on the camcorder/PC to dump the show into the computer. Edit the commercials out if you wish. Use whatever burning software to create menus, etc. and record to DVD (this takes several hours to compile the files for DVD format, so be prepared to wait a while).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 13 Old 01-08-2004, 04:14 PM

Thank you very much!!!
I was under impression that I have to have TV capture card. Now I know another tricks.

Thanks again!!
post #13 of 13 Old 01-10-2004, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

all the tv capture cards stink, the best is the mini dv camcorder input.

Still have not seen Avatar in 3d.
Closed Thread Microsoft UltimateTV PVR

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page