Liked: 10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2004, 12:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wish I still had my UTV's that had tuner problems so I could participate in this. I really think you are on the right track. I could not believe what I read on the other thread! If this is true (and it sounds like it is) it is an outrage none of us should have suffered.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:45 PM

The poll only lets me vote one...I have two UTV's here with fried tuners and chips before 0145....
:mad:

Also posted this to BUMP

thinking ....
Old 02-19-2004, 07:01 PM

What kind of problems with the tuner? I have a UTV with poor picture quality. It's like the picture has verticule rectangels throughout the picture. It's like looking really close to the picture screen, and instead of seeing dots, it has those squares.

I've been unable to try the RCA and S video outs, since I did not have a TV with those inputs till now, but I swapped out the power supply board to another UTV I had with a broken board.

I'm just starting to look for the schematics I saw posted somewhere for the UTV.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:32 AM

Can't picture problems such as these also be caused by a failing hard drive? I thought I read somewhere that somebody fixed this problem by replacing the hard drive, and it makes sense since all video gets stored on the hard drive first (even live).
Old 02-24-2004, 07:46 AM

NLogN.....love the sig!!

can't this thread get made into a sticky?
Who's incharge....

thinking ....
Old 02-24-2004, 05:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Sorry to say that if the thread really had merit, it would stay up in the list all by itself. But seeing it has had only 5 votes and the post has 370 views at this time, I really think you are asking the wrong question or their really is not an issue.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

Old 02-24-2004, 06:00 PM

I think Dave has post 0145 tuner chips... :D

thinking ....
Old 02-24-2004, 08:29 PM

I have 2 UTV's and tuner 1 is failing on one of them. I looked in that system and the chip has 0027 as a date code. I have not had a chance to look in the other UTV yet, but I have been seeing tuners changed in the history on it also.

JJEZ96
Old 02-24-2004, 09:09 PM

I have 2 UTV's and tuner 1 is failing on one of them. I looked in that system and the chip has 0027 as a date code. I have not had a chance to look in the other UTV yet, but I have been seeing tuners changed in the history on it also.

JJEZ96
Old 02-25-2004, 12:02 AM

I opened up my other UTV, but could not read the chips. The metal cover over the chips is soldered to the board. I did notice also that the voltage regulator chip lnbp13sp (u2303 & u2309) had an add on resistor soldered to it. I don't remember seeing that in my other UTV.

JJEZ96
Old 03-04-2004, 02:25 AM

I am having a problem with one of my tuners on my Ultimate Tv. I checked the chip per the instructions and it says: MAX 2014--0012. Can this be fixed or does the whole motherboard have to be replaced?
Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-05-2004, 12:19 AM

Thankyou for your help.
One more question...What sample/s am I requesting? In other words, how do I go about getting the chips I need? I went to the Maxim-ic website and found the Sample site where it asks for a part number. Am I looking for part number 2014? Will they be sending me chips?
Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-07-2004, 10:44 AM

How long have members had to wait to receive their chips?

Received my confirmation 3 weeks ago but still no chips. My second tuner--both chips code 0012--started dieing last week.
Old 03-07-2004, 02:49 PM

I got mine within a week and a half....and I'm in Canada.
That was 4 months ago....maybe there has been an increase in demand...

thinking ....
Old 03-11-2004, 07:15 PM

Klassic, I am in Canada(Alberta) as well and received my new tuner chips, but can not find anyone to install them for me in this area(Red Deer). Do you know of any shops i can call? thanks:confused:
Old 03-11-2004, 07:24 PM

Sorry dog.. I'm in Ont. and I changed the chip on my own...wasn't easy...well, wasn't all that hard either.
Kazak kept me from flinging my UTV out the window by making me go back in and re-soldering.

thinking ....
Old 03-11-2004, 08:23 PM

Klassic, thanks for the reply, I know what you mean when you were thinking of flinging it out the window...... first the hard drive goes... 120 gb upgrade then have to pull the drive to upgrade to 3.7 hardware when the p4 came as i could not get any dial up to work, then the opening weekend of nhra racing on espn i went from two tuners working to one working to none working in the total of 24 hrs....so i miss that. then i order the chips thanks to the info on here and no one locally wants to try install them, they tell me you need a $4000 machine to install a chip like that LOL so klassic i quess that makes you a rich man !!!! nlogn thanks for the post, if i cant find anyone close in my searching i will cosider that option!
Old 03-12-2004, 02:16 PM

I've seen some chip swaps that have been done on the $4000 machine. You can't tell the chip has been changed.
If you were to look at mine you sure could tell!!! My solder job is disgusting, but works.

thinking ....
Old 03-15-2004, 11:26 AM

Thankyou for you most valuable help. Order is on its way.

Now, I have one more opperating question that maybe you could help me with. If I hook up rca a/v or just audio cables to either the front or rear INPUT ports on the RCA Ultimate TV receiver, how can I see or hear from the input sources?

Thanks,
Michael
Old 03-15-2004, 12:42 PM

you can't

thinking ....
Old 03-19-2004, 09:27 AM

I didn't know we were supposed to change a capacitor too. Is it obvious which one (is there only one)?

BTW, never did get my ICs despite getting the confirmation a month ago. Emailed Dallas Maxim earlier this week. Still no word back yet. Hopefully they'll just ship them.

NLogN, does AAA Electronics have the big SMD machine or are the chips soldered in by hand there?
Old 03-23-2004, 09:56 AM

As I understand it, there is a large, very expensive machine for working on SMDs that makes installation /removal of the devices much easier. Not too many around apparently.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Maxim Dallas, NLogN, will keep you up to speed. Thanks.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:33 PM

I think Maxim Dallas has realized they are being used. Something about "special authorization" from a supervisor to get samples of the tuner chip when I last called.

A half order of these chips is 500 at around $6 each.

Would any of you be willing to put together an order with me?

I suggest 10 or 20 chips per person.

Keep what you need and pass around the rest to needy UTV owners and repair shops.

Buy dead UTVs, fix, & sell them.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:57 PM

after receiving my new chips and needing them both replaced it took me a week of phone calls and the local telecommunications install/repair shop was the only company even interested in taking a look at the chips. i left the board with them and they had the chips done a couple of hours later, looks as good as when it came out of the factory and now i have a working utv again! they said they replace similar chips on mobile/gps/sat phones whenever they need repairs and it was no big deal. if anyone else ends up in a bind try your local mobile phone repair shop !!
Old 03-28-2004, 10:36 PM

Hmm, glad I read this thread... I happen to work for a firm that has multiple machines for attaching chips, floating BGA chips, etc. We do warranty repair, mostly for the largest networking firms. I have friends in the engineering department who could swap the chips in a minute or two.

Of course the biggest problem is getting the chip. Since our clients are in a different field there is no way we would stock sat tuner chips. However, I might be able to request samples and have a legitimate possibility of receiving them.

Frankly I'm amazed Dallas Semi doesn't do single piece orders. I have no problem spending $30-40 per chip since I already know they would fix the problem.

Also, something else to think about... Typically vendors develop products that are pin-compatible with their competitors. This allows multi-sourcing components which is something required by most large electronics firms.

It could be that tuner chips from other vendors would work equally well. If anyone has spare DirecTV receivers from a similar time period (mid 2000 through 2001) they could try cannibalizing the part.

Otherwise I placed a pre-order for an HD Tivo... I could ignore the problem and get by on one tuner for the next few weeks.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:03 PM

LarryB: I ordered 2 samples of the max2104 chips from Dallas Maxim and I got the chips within 2 weeks. Would love to get my hands on 4 more so that if the tuners on my 3 UTVs go, I am covered. Let me know if you get enough folks to place an order.
Old 04-23-2004, 03:18 PM

JANNINO,

Except for yourself, I have received no interest from anyone in paying for some chips. I did find a repair shop with some stock but they need them for repairs. The smallest quantity I know of for sale is 23 at $8 each from a broker. Any takers?

The UTV I had tuner trouble with was in a hot closed cabinet with no surge protection or "Uninterruptible Power Supply". Now corrected.

Keep them cool and you should be OK. I cut a hole in my cover opposit the fan. This increased the airflow through the UTV about four times.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryB153
Keep them cool and you should be OK.
This helps but no guarantee!!!! Kept mine cool with internal fan extracting air from immediately above tuners, elevation of UTV, laptop cooler below UTV, open air, no heat source below. All this from the very first day the UTV was plugged in.

Tuner chips still fried/died.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:14 PM

Was that a new or used UTV. Once they start to go, it's no stopping them.