Pixelization problems/DirecTV visit - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-12-2005, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We've had the pixelization problems others have had for a month or so. I called DTV last week about it. They said they had no reports of any problems with UTV system. Instead - suggested I have a tech come out and check my system out.

The DTV tech came on Saturday. Initially, he couldn't find anything wrong. But after a closer inspection he thought that some trees might be partially blocking the signal. I got up on the roof and agreed. So for an additional fee - he moved the dish to another spot on my house.

We went in and noticed that my signal strength was up about 10 points. However, the pixelization problem was still there. (In both of my UTV units.)

He was going to report back to DTV that I must be having some type of hardware problem on both units. He agreed that some new compression schemes might be causing the problem -- but didn't know of anything like that being used.

He thinks that DTV will want to replace my UTV units with TiVO. (UGG!) One of my units has an extended protection plan thru Circuit City. Thought about having them send me a replacement -- if they still have one.

Any thoughts?

///Sid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2005, 11:01 AM

Unless it's a VERY large coincidence, it is on their end. Many UTV people are reporting same problem almost completely on locals (especially NY area).

I really don't see how this could end well for UTV.

(Personally, I am planning on switching to Cablevision unless this is fixed IF I ever catch up with my recorded programs.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTGray
We've had the pixelization problems others have had for a month or so. I called DTV last week about it. They said they had no reports of any problems with UTV system. Instead - suggested I have a tech come out and check my system out.

The DTV tech came on Saturday. Initially, he couldn't find anything wrong. But after a closer inspection he thought that some trees might be partially blocking the signal. I got up on the roof and agreed. So for an additional fee - he moved the dish to another spot on my house.

We went in and noticed that my signal strength was up about 10 points. However, the pixelization problem was still there. (In both of my UTV units.)

He was going to report back to DTV that I must be having some type of hardware problem on both units. He agreed that some new compression schemes might be causing the problem -- but didn't know of anything like that being used.

He thinks that DTV will want to replace my UTV units with TiVO. (UGG!) One of my units has an extended protection plan thru Circuit City. Thought about having them send me a replacement -- if they still have one.

Any thoughts?

///Sid
Old 06-13-2005, 05:47 PM

Sid... I'm in Canada and I'm pixillating too. On the networks and only the networks.
I have NY locals but I never watch them.
It seems to be happening to the East Coast
It's not your gear.
Tell Dave to shove his Tivo's up his arse and fix the problem on his end. Don't give in to the "Tivo exchange"!!!!

thinking ....
Old 06-13-2005, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Klassic, when you say networks are you talking about the CBS,ABC, etc in the 300's?

I'm getting NO pixelation anywhere now but I was on Atlanta locals ONLY back some weeks ago when this first started.

kazak

God split himself into a myriad parts that he might have friends.' This may not be true, but it sounds good - and is no sillier than any other theology. - Lazarus Long
Old 06-13-2005, 08:24 PM

ya... just 300 networks ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX.

I guess I'll check the NY locals and see.... I don't get them all, for some reason, so I don't bother with them.

thinking ....
Old 11-29-2005, 09:35 AM

I have pixalization problem in farmington, MN. 2 tech came in 2 weeks but did not offer any solutions. I then switch to DSS sat from Dish Network. Same problem. Pixalization on all channels on 3 T.V.s. The connection is brand new, the amps and Equipt is brand new too.

I don't know what else to do but switch back to cable t.v sometime.
The location of the dish is in the roof at two different location. Dish Network has it own place on my roof and Direct Tv has its own spot too.
My house is prewired by Dish when it was built. Direct TV ran its own wires.
But the end results is the same. Pixalization on all channels and picture is clear but not sharp. Something is making this pixalization happen. I live about a block away from the police station and the water tower.

Luis C
Old 11-29-2005, 10:19 AM

I have both the east coast and west coast locals in the 380's channel range. The west coast locals have always been crystal clear with far superior audio over the east coast locals. If I want to keep a recording, I always wait until it comes on the west coast locals before recording.

I think it is an east cost network problem. The east coast signals are just of a poorer quality for some reason. Maybe the east coast networks need to hire some of the west coast engineers to upgrade their equipment and run the boards..lol
Old 12-02-2005, 09:33 PM

A 5 month old thread revived!! LOL...

I haven't noticed any blox in SW FL, ever, but then again I usually watch ESPN.