new cards - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 09-20-2005, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just added a second UTV to my account with no problems. They sent me a new card and I activated it but the UTV is not activated. I called and went through all their troubleshooting BS till they finally blamed my unit. I called back the next day and asked them to resend the activation for UTV and she said she did but it still says I am in trial mode and can only watch ten minutes. Anybody run into problems with new cards. I may ask them to switch cards between units to prove to them it is the card.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-20-2005, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverand
I just added a second UTV to my account with no problems. They sent me a new card and I activated it but the UTV is not activated. I called and went through all their troubleshooting BS till they finally blamed my unit. I called back the next day and asked them to resend the activation for UTV and she said she did but it still says I am in trial mode and can only watch ten minutes. Anybody run into problems with new cards. I may ask them to switch cards between units to prove to them it is the card.
I've heard of activation problems before...with the P4 and D1 cards. I suggest cold booting your UTV & then having them resend the activation tier. Keep having them resend it until it works. There's absolutely no reason why the new cards won't work. I have one of each card working in a UTV...so that's that. Let us know if it works for you -- also, please let us know HOW MANY TIMES the CSR mentions Tivo to you!! :D
post #3 of 13 Old 09-20-2005, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverand
I have read someplace else that someone had the same problem after getting a *new* DTV card that was white with "bubbles" on it. Are you referring to this new card?

If yes, then that card will not work with non-RID receivers. In order for that card to work you would need to use a RID-enabled receiver such as the R10.
post #4 of 13 Old 09-21-2005, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, it is the new white card with bubbles. I hope that is incorrect and we can find a way to make it work. Can you request a different card for DTV?
What is RID?
post #5 of 13 Old 09-22-2005, 12:40 AM

The below quote is from another site:
Quote:
The Series 1 DirecTiVos and early Series 2 (as well as most "normal" receiver made more than 4 or 5 years ago) did not have a "Receiver ID" number. For Series 2 DirecTiVos, this would include the Hughes HDVR2, and I believe the Philips DSR-7000 and RCA DVR39. Later Series 2 DirecTiVos have Receiver ID (RID) numbers.
This would also include the ULT's and other older receiver models.

It is for this reason that this new white card (with blue bubbles) is not compatible with older equipment.

You will have to request that they send you an older P4 (blue card) or a P5/D1 (gray card with a blue stripe down each side) to exchange with the white card that they have sent you.
post #6 of 13 Old 09-22-2005, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The cards will NOT work with UTV.

Read more about it here
and here

THIS SUCKS!! WTF is D* doing? I guess they really want us going to the new MPEG4 DVR's. Cable anyone? :mad:
post #7 of 13 Old 09-27-2005, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

UPDATE:
Thanks to the information y'all provided I was able to talk effectively with DTV and they are now sending me a different card. I will let you know if it works properly. The "admitted" they had "one" other complaint of the new white card not working with UTV.
Thanks again..
post #8 of 13 Old 09-29-2005, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

OK, new card received and it was new generation again. White with bubbles. They sent the activation signal twice and the new card now has all features activated. Guess the white cards will work OR they have made some changes.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-29-2005, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi,

I'm glad to hear what TheCrow suggested "resend till it works" is a valid "fix" for our beloved UTV(s).

I was getting a bit concerned that not far in the future, I'd be forced to give up the UTVs for Tivos...

Could you recount for us the procedure DTV used with you to get the UTV up and running with the new Card? If they sent the signal twice... how far between "updates" (under 2 minutes, 5 mins, 5 hrs?) and did they have to "reboot" the UTV or do anything special on your end for the access card to take?
post #10 of 13 Old 09-30-2005, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

They first had to send me a new card. Resets would not work with the first card sent. After numerous calls, they sent me a second card. With this card I went through the automatic activation phone number for new cards. I just answered that the activstion did not work and they resent the signal within 2 minutes. After the second activate signal all functions worked.
post #11 of 13 Old 10-01-2005, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi,

So you might recommend using the automated activation line for new cards on the UTV?

I suspect the first card might have actually worked... depending what they did to try and activate it.
post #12 of 13 Old 10-07-2005, 10:00 AM

I had this problem a few months ago. I fixed it by putting a couple layers of clear tape on the top of the access card opposite the contact points. I suppose one of the pins in the card holder wasn't making contact, and the tape pushed the card down and got everything connected.
post #13 of 13 Old 10-07-2005, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Joe F,

I've had first hand experience why when upgrading a UTV you MUST REMOVE the access card BEFORE opening the case...

Effectively pulled the card reader (and contacts) out of it's footings. Luckly the contacts were not completely removed... Had to carefully rebend them and stick them back in their slots... With only a Jeweler's Screwdriver and VERY LITTLE clearance and visability...

To get that UTV to work with an access card I have to be VERY careful to leave that card where it is... If I do remove it... the Reader POPS UP and I have to angle my card slightly when reinserting it...
Closed Thread Microsoft UltimateTV PVR

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page