Recoding HD Content on UTV. What Happens?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-31-2006, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I still run 2 UTVs in my home and I am looking to possibly upgrade to HD package.

Question - Will the UTVs record HD content shows? If they will (which I assume they would), how does the recording playback look since the UTV is designed to record 480 while the HD content is 720 or even 1080 on some shows? Are these recordings blurry? Does this mean the end of my UTVs as useful DVRs if I switch to HD package on Directv?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-31-2006, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNINO
I still run 2 UTVs in my home and I am looking to possibly upgrade to HD package.

Question - Will the UTVs record HD content shows? If they will (which I assume they would), how does the recording playback look since the UTV is designed to record 480 while the HD content is 720 or even 1080 on some shows? Are these recordings blurry? Does this mean the end of my UTVs as useful DVRs if I switch to HD package on Directv?
no can do.. Its as simple as that.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-31-2006, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCoolio
no can do.. Its as simple as that.
So to be exact... any/all HD Channels you might get when you upgrade to a HD package will not be available to the UTV or other Non-HD Ready Receivers in the house.

If you want to watch/Record the HD Channels you'll need another receiver/DVR to do that.

I know my Aunt and Uncle have Dish and they ended up with a Package (when they bought a HDTV) that gave them a HD Receiver AND a Standard Def DVR. With all the remotes and new stuff they were going crazy... Not very happy with Dish (long time DTV customers before the "Promotion" of a FREE HD Receiver AND DVR got them to switch).

You might just let your HD and UTV Receivers co-exist (let the HD handle HD Content and the UTV everything else) if you can handle the extra remote and switching between the two or three devices.

Personally I've got TWO RCA UTVs and a (DTV) Hughes DVR that a switch between all the time... Not difficult or confusing. Just need to juggle two remotes.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-05-2006, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNINO

pretty much, utv is dead. MS gave up on them. They made a few HD units in house a few years ago that worked great, but never put them in production.

switched to the hd hr20 thursday..I'll miss the UTV, best pvr built to date imop, but no HD capable means they'll just fade out.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-05-2006, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

But it sounds like the UTV will record non-HD channels. That is fine for me for now. I only have one HDTV and I would upgrade my DVR for that TV only.

I hear that Directv is already having problems with their new DVR. Since they separated from TiVo, their DVRs have experienced problems. I also hear they 30 second skip on the new HR20 is now like Tivo or UTV (i.e. a slight delay before skipping). That would drive me crazy.
Closed Thread Microsoft UltimateTV PVR

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page