Moving to HDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-11-2006, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, count me as another customer making the move from UTV to HDTV. I will really miss the ease of use of the UTV and will still keep one in the bedroom, but with a new plasma screen TV, it makes no sense to keep the UTV for the family room.

To the garage it goes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-29-2006, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
ditto.

R15-300 DVR activated tonight, HR20-700 HD DVR on the way, and two UTVs deactivated this evening. buh-bye UTV. It was a lot of fun while it lasted.

-NJJ
post #3 of 10 Old 01-14-2007, 10:52 PM

Me too, going to the D* HR20. Anybody need an RCA unit with 200gb hd. Tuner one is out but tuner 2 still chugs along.
post #4 of 10 Old 01-15-2007, 05:45 PM

Friggan first time I logged in here in nearly 4 years!

Alas, I am about ready to move to HD-TV myself. Got this nice big 55-inch Mitsubishi Diamond series wide-screen TV, and like to take full advantage of it (OTA broadcasts look awesome, especially football games!) My trusty ol' UTV unit that I've had for over 6 years is still going strong (although I've modded it up to a 120-gig drive). Both tuners still works. However, I may consider putting the original drive back in the unit and use the 120-gig drive in my server.

I loved this unit, but around March or so, I am going to make the move, which will also require me to get a new dish installed, as I am still using the old 18-inch round dish. I guess I better start saving programs I want to keep onto my Pioneer DVD recorder, as I got a number of them still on the UTV unit that needs to be copied over.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-17-2007, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Thinking about getting an HDTV Set in the near future... but not sure I'll be saying good bye to my UTV right away. I've got 4 UTVs and a DirecTV Tivo so I'll still have plenty of SD sets in the house where UTV will be fine. From the HDTVs I've seen so far... I suspect the UTV Feed will look just fine...
post #6 of 10 Old 01-17-2007, 04:38 PM

I never thought I would say it....but I too have packed up the UTV

I've got me a HD Bell Expressvu PVR.... it stinks!! (except for the dual tuners/w dual output)
The channel selection stinks as well. You can watch the same thing on 40 different channels.

What really stinks is the lack of organization in the "My Shows"....just a jumble of what was recorded...and deleted.
Canada is so far behind.
I don't even watch TV now.

thinking ....
post #7 of 10 Old 01-18-2007, 07:35 AM

I moved on to a HR10-250. Got to say I sure miss the UTV interface and reliability. I don't understand why Tivo owners are so fanatical about these sets. HD is nice and so is all the space on the hard drive, but the bugs are driving me nuts.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-19-2007, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

Just FYI. I abondoned my UTV's back in Sep (06) when I lost another tuner. I decided to try the SD DVR from D*TV, the R15. As you can read over at www.dbstalk.com, the things are really POS. The R15 does some nice things the UTV can't do. But it also fails miserably at the basic thing any DVR should do: record when/what you tell it to record.

I'm commited to it now though, because I've invested in the equipment, and because at least it has ongoing development with real software updates. Sometime (soon I hope) they will get it right. I also have a HD20 HD DVR on order. It has virutally the same interface, so that's another reason I'm sticking with the R15 (no way I can teach the wife 2 wildly different GUI's) .

So for all you old timers that are still here (like Rocket!), adios. I may stop by every once in while to check on you, but I'll primarily be over at the www.dbstalk.com forums trying to figure out these other DVRs.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-24-2007, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post

I never thought I would say it....but I too have packed up the UTV

I've got me a HD Bell Expressvu PVR.... it stinks!! (except for the dual tuners/w dual output)
The channel selection stinks as well. You can watch the same thing on 40 different channels.

What really stinks is the lack of organization in the "My Shows"....just a jumble of what was recorded...and deleted.
Canada is so far behind.
I don't even watch TV now.

NO NO NO!!! Alright...I jumped ship too.

Perky + beer =
post #10 of 10 Old 01-24-2007, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

TexasJames: I guess it's getting lonely over here. I've still got 2 utvs and a spare with both tuners working.

I'll poke around at dbstalk to see what's new, hopefully they will do an upgrade that was as good as the utv 3.7, since we were not all happy campers before that one. I've got so good at the utv's features, that I'd be lost if I had to change. It's certainly not like just buying a new tv.

Wow, just scanned the r15 section and a complaint that the 30sec skip wasn't working. The talk then centered on the cpu being too slow. I think they got a whole lot of problems - I won't be "upgrading" any time soon.
Reply Microsoft UltimateTV PVR

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page