UTV & Recording to DVD's - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 01-04-2007, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have always strung cables from one of my UTV's to my PC to record a show or movie to DVD. I recently picked up a new Panasonic DMR-ES40VS VHS/DVD recorder combo for an even $100. I could not pass up that price for all of the features and inputs this unit has.

It's far easier to record shows to DVD with a set top recorder. Edit them later, if needed on the PC.

I should have invested in one of these long ago..lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-05-2007, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting. I've recently just started "dumping" more programs to my PC again. (Got to get ready for the return of new episodes in the coming weeks.)

I hadn't realized Standalone DVD recorders where getting that cheap. I'll have to check it out. Have you noticed any compatibility issues with the Recorded DVDs working on other DVD Players/Drives?

I've always had issues recording DVDs to be compatible with my OLD DVD Player... and some of my Newer DVD Players that should play almost anything have had issues as well. It's all a matter of using the right Software and Media I think...

My Instant DVD 2.0 converter (UTV to PC interface box) has a "Direct to DVD Disc" option which does a rather nice job of probably doing much the same thing as a "stand alone"... But if the "stand alone" has better Compatibility I'd probably jump at that.

A visit to BB and CC on Saturday is in order.
post #3 of 15 Old 01-07-2007, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Well make that Sunday. Went with a Phillips DVDR3400 from BB for $160-$16 open box store credit. (Missing AAA remote batteries and hopefully that is all.) It's REALLY amazing how there is so MANY different lay outs between models and brands. There were VERY expensive units without S-Video INs or DVD+R DL compatibility. This one had both at a decent price.

I'll put in though its paces the next few days and hopefully it will be a quick and easy (hands off) way to dump recordings (Almost like using a VCR again).

Thanks guitars911 for the inspiration.
post #4 of 15 Old 01-07-2007, 10:59 PM
Advanced Member

You should try a few dvd blanks of different speeds. Especially get a few of the highest speed available today.

Some few years back I bought a recorder and found it only worked on older slower speed blanks, and did not work with the latest higher speed blanks. Calling tech-support confirmed they only worked with a few speeds and this was not mentioned in the manual. True, it was a bargain, at about $99.

So, at least back then, blanks weren't downward compatible with all older units. I returned the recorder. I don't think one can find blanks for that unit today.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-08-2007, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

lgodave, for years now I have only used Verbatim blanks. They just seem to always work for me. I use the DVD-R format for 98% of my recordings. This format has proved to be the most compatible with older dvd players. I think the media format is more important than the software used in my opinion for compatibility with older players. (As long as the recording has been properly finalized) This past weekend I tried a DVD-R recording from the new set top recorder on my old JVC DVD player purchased around the end of 2001. It played fine. That is the oldest player I've tried so far.

My new recorder does not support DL recordings at this time. Maybe a firmware update will change that in the future? Who knows. I can string the cables to the PC when DL recording is desired. For the money I paid, I can live with that downfall.

I have played with the 1 hour XP settings vs. the 2 hour SP settings and can't tell a bit of difference in playback quality. I am viewing on a 36 screen though. A larger screen may show a slight difference.

The i.Link / Mini-Firewire port is also a nice input. I quickly dumped an hour of home movies to DVD from my Mini-DV video camera. That worked much faster then booting a PC then creating a DVD as well. I have about 6 years worth of VHS-C home movies and 4 years of Mini-DV movies to get archived to DVD. This was the main reason I purchased this combo set top recorder. Home movie archiving will go much faster this way. The UTV recordings, I consider as a time saving bonus..lol
post #6 of 15 Old 01-08-2007, 05:47 PM

Sorry if Im putting this question in the wrong thread.

I'm looking at the Philips DVDR3400. Circuit City has it for $151. Kind've hard to resist. What I mainly want to do with it is record my Hi8 tapes to DVD. I will also use it to record TV.

What's your opinion of this unit?

Mark

OTA with a Samsung T165
post #7 of 15 Old 01-09-2007, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Just a quick tip on the Hi8 tapes...

You will need to still have a Hi8 video camera or a Sony Hi8 VCR like player to record that format to DVD with a set top recorder. Hi8 is not compatable with the VHS format so simple dubbing with a combo VHS/DVD recorder is not possible. No VHS adapters were ever made for 8mm or Hi8 tapes. Depending on the outputs from your camera / player, (most likely standard analog RCA jacks) I think just about any DVD recorder will do.

lgodave may chime in give you his review of that Phillips model once he has time to use it a bit.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-09-2007, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Brauma,

So far I like my Philips DVDR3400/37 (updated firmware to 9/2006 via download from Philips).

Only big issues so far is as some have reviewed elsewhere (videohelp.com) the Remote's responsiveness is sometimes lacking. I am also having DVD Player Compatibility issues.

I'm thinking the Remote "pause" response (I'm getting in the habit of "double clicking" to make sure I get a timely result.) may be on the Recorder's side. Reminds me somewhat of UTV's early OSes pre-3.5 which also had a noticable Remote lag time. I still get a Remote Lag on my DTV Tivo unit. I guess you get use to it.

As for Compatibility... I've tested DVD-RW,DVD-R, and DVD+RW so far. My Old PhilipsMagnavox DVD-825 only seems to like DVD-R so I got one of those to work... However, I was shocked to see my Apex 1100W wasn't up to the task (on any of the test media) while my Cyberhome 300 seemed fine with all but my 8cm DVD-RW Disc. I guess I may have to plan on replacing the Apex player (which works with almost everything else) if I want to watch movies made on this recorder anywhere in the house.

I don't have much experience with standalone DVD-Recorders but this one seems OK for the price. I certainly do like it's many Input options and it's relative ease of use... I'll keep everyone posted, I've got plenty of more testing to do.

I'd recommend if you stop at CC to have them hook the models you are looking at to see how they work. Bring a DVD+RW or -RW along if you have one. They may or may not do it... But it wouldn't hurt to ask.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-12-2007, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

guitars911,

If only MS would have offered a UTV/DVD Recorder... They would have ruled the world.

Thanks again for the tip using Verbatim Media (MCC03RG20 in my case) .

OfficeMax had/has a great Clearance deal on OfficeMax 8X (Princo) DVD-/+R media. 10 cents a disc. Picked up 5 spools of 50 (250) for $25. Figured I'd be set for a few years but it wasn't compatible with my old DVD-Player (not to mention Princo doesn't have a very good track record) ... while my Fuji DVD-Rs seem OK. From what I've read Mitsubishi media (among others) is recommended for my Recorder.

While I love my UTVs very much... I really don't want to spend HOURS repeating a recording everytime a disc fails to finalize properly.

Hopefully the Verbatim discs will do the trick for me.
post #10 of 15 Old 01-18-2007, 05:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgodave View Post

Hopefully the Verbatim discs will do the trick for me.

Verbatim is pretty much the original disc/disk company. They were THE brand back in the floppy days, and that trend of quality continues with their optical media. They should perform well for you.
post #11 of 15 Old 01-19-2007, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

lgodave,

An UTV / DVD+/-RW combo would have been sweet, but I would hate to have seen the cost of that baby back 5+ years ago..lol

I don't have a stack of Verbatim blanks with me at the moment so I can't quote the Mfr. #. I use the ones with the current packaging being the white and blue label with yellow DVD-R lettering. The last 100 I purchased went for about $0.25 each. A little shopping around will save you quite a bit on these.

Keep us posted with your results.
post #12 of 15 Old 01-24-2007, 11:41 PM

Sorry for such a basic post, but what cables/connections/softwarde/hardware do I need to download programs from my UTV to my Mac (or PC, in necessary) and how do I do it? I figure I'll probably get a standalone DVD recorder in the future as Guitars911 suggests but I want to start with using the computer if possible. Thanks.
post #13 of 15 Old 01-25-2007, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

JHDLA,

All of the below items should come with software to capture video to your computer. It turns your computer into a DVR similar to the UTV, but the ease of use is no where close to the UTV. You run for example, analog rca cables, yellow video, red and white audio, from the outputs on the UTV to the inputs of the capture device or card attached to your computer. Run the capture software on the computer, select a file name & location for the captured video, hit record within the software and play on the UTV. Whalla, you have now captured some video. You can then make a DVD with Nero, Roxio/Sonic, or the burning software of your choice. Search the net for more details on this. It's easy to do.

You can get a simple capture device that plugs into a USB port. You will need a fairly recent computer for this route. It works surprisingly well though. I have one made by KWorld I believe. It supports s-video and standard rca jacks.

You can also get a capture card that installs into a free PCI slot on your computer. I had one of these too. Works great and does not take a lot of processor muscle to produce great results.

You can use an ATI All In Wonder video card. I also used this route for many years.

There are lots of options out there currently for capturing video onto your computer. I would advise not to break the bank on this hardware as a lot if the inexpensive options produce great results these days.
post #14 of 15 Old 01-28-2007, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd agree with guitars911. I think my InstantDVD 2.0 PC transfer box cost about $200 back in the day ($100 after rebate). I upgraded my PC to USB 2.0 ($30 card from Walmart back in the day) and it worked wonders. They've also upgraded the software since I bought it and it now supports features and modes that it didn't originally have/support. So I've been very happy with that.

My Standalone DVD Recorder simplifies things but it,by design, doesn't give you the same flexibility as the PC. More flexibility, but takes more time to get the finished product. (Unless you have a "Record direct to DVD" function, which the InstantDVD box got a few years ago)
post #15 of 15 Old 01-28-2007, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

I have the pinacle Dazzle Digital Video Creator 150 Video Capture box. It's been a love/hate relationship. The pinacle software that comes with it is very buggy (but I never upgraded, although I tried once and got a refund when it wouldn't work).

The device itself, is rather nice. Once I determined what causes it to crash, I have got pretty good results. Amazon has one used refurb'd for about $38, while new it costs $125 or more.

I needed a usb2.0 since I get all sorts of audio noise if I try to connect directly to my computer. Probably all sorts of ground loops etc. But the dazzle box eliminates those problems, since it digitizes the audio and video into the one usb cable, which I can run over 25 feet to my computer. The video is captured from the s-vid out of the UTV, but I can see a slight degradation when I play it back on my tv (using my laptop's s-vid out). The colors are a bit washed out on bright scenes. But it's ok if you don't A-B your results.

As for the software, I never use their rendering software, I only capture. I also found that once you stop capture, you have to switch to the edit mode before exiting or it will hang. It won't even reboot cleanly if I try to exit while in the capture mode - even if capture is stopped.

This device apparently is very sensitive to the type of PC you have. That's because there seems to be no end of driver mismatch problems when combining various hardware and software. For example, you can have trouble if you have a dvd recorder and install the bundled software. It seems that all these drivers and/or codecs have a tendancy to cause incompatibility problems, and the venders sort of blindly install their own codecs etc. and change the registry w/o asking. It's near impossible to back these changes out sometimes.

So, in my case, the video capture is on its own dedicated PC. I don't dare install it on my main PC.

I capture dvd-quality and use other shareware (video redo - $50 and AVS converter $30) to edit and render dvd files which I can burn using the bundled nero that came with my dvd recorder.

A dvd recorder would be nice and more convenient, but then I couldn't select the format I wanted and I can't edit out commercials etc.
Reply Microsoft UltimateTV PVR

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page