DIRECTV Plus HD DVR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 01-16-2007, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just looked on the DTV web page and saw the DIRECTV Plus HD DVR which looks likes the HD version of UTV. It has a 30 sec. jump and 6 sec back with 50 hours of HD recording (200 Hr. standard recording). They even talk about recording off-air digital broadcast. Does anyone know anything about these units? T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-16-2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoody View Post

30 sec. jump and 6 sec back with 50 hours of HD recording (200 Hr. standard recording).... recording off-air digital broadcast.

FINALLY a reason to get HD. I hope this is all correct!
post #3 of 13 Old 01-17-2007, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

I've found the HR20 Forum @ DBSTalk.com to be an excellent resource for info on the unit.
post #4 of 13 Old 01-18-2007, 08:53 AM

I have had the HR20 since October and I still am keeping my UTV. The new HDDVR has had some serious reliability issues. There have been 14 software updates since its release in August 2006. For the most part, it works but it is nowhere as reliable as the UTV.
So beware of what you are getting into that is why I will keep the UTV till the day D cuts it off.
TG
Milwaukee
post #5 of 13 Old 01-19-2007, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

I've heard they have a 30 sec "slip" not a true skip like the utv. A slip can take a few seconds and is essentially a one button fast forward start then stop after 30 seconds of content has gone by.

This is getting closer, but until they have a true 30sec skip, I won't be interested.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-19-2007, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

The HR20 interface is more like their SD DVR, the R15. Not like the UTV. (Of course all DVRs share some common features.)
post #7 of 13 Old 01-19-2007, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket View Post

I've heard they have a 30 sec "slip" not a true skip like the utv. ...

Correct, it is 30 seconds of show shown at their 3x speed. It takes about 2 seconds to view. I switched to the SD DVR (R15) a few months ago - same feature. (And I have a HD DVR on order.) Initially I hated the slip and missed the UTV skip. But I got used to it and now I like it!

I used to assume the number of commercials when I skipped. And often I'd have to do a few jumpbacks or rewind to find the right spot. But I can press the slip 8 times and then interupt it with the Play button, when I see the show is back on. And ... I occassionally even see a commercial that looks interesting and jumpback to catch it! I know ... I NEVER thought I'd actually want to see a commercial!
post #8 of 13 Old 01-20-2007, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Hmmm, not sure I understand how 3x speed for 2 seconds would add up to 30 seconds. I've seen a slip function on my dvd player and I definately don't like it.

I've got a programable remote, and I have 3 keys for 4,5,6 30sec skips. If I'm watching football, for ex, usually a 2 minute skip is perfect. I can program the delay between key sends and I'm sending them at about 3-4 per second. This gives me a complete comercial jump in 1 second with 1 keypress. Also works for basketball. Not useful for regular shows, where you do have to use the replay to get back when you skip too much.

Often I watch football using the 30sec skip, to skip to the next play. Works really well. Guy gets tackled, click, the next play is just about to start.

Clearly the reason for the slip is not technical, they are afraid of advertisers. The skip lets me completely bypass offensive material and at my age I don't need to get a jolt of testosterone to try to sell me a beer, which I don't drink.
post #9 of 13 Old 01-20-2007, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket View Post

... Often I watch football using the 30sec skip, to skip to the next play. Works really well. Guy gets tackled, click, the next play is just about to start. ...

UNLESS you are watching Indianapolis and their "hurry up" offense.

(And the number of seconds is approximate. It might be 3 seconds for the slip ... I haven't taken a stopwatch to it. I'm just saying, I hated it initially, but now I sorta like it. Old dog ... new trick.)
post #10 of 13 Old 01-24-2007, 11:54 AM

my dad has an r15 and seems to be unaware of the 'slip' feature. which button? how does it work?
post #11 of 13 Old 01-25-2007, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

The buttons are similar to those for UTV. There is a Jump-Back button and a Jump-Forward button. The Jump-Forward button accesses the "slip forward" feature. On the R15 remote these are in the 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock positions, in the cluster of buttons surrounding the large Play button. (That is, they are between the Rewind, Stop, and Fast-Forward buttons.) The buttons are on page 8 of the R15 "manual" (pamplet) ... http://www.directv.com/learn/pdf/Sys...IRECTV_R15.pdf .
post #12 of 13 Old 01-28-2007, 05:43 PM

Thanks TexasJames! You rock!
post #13 of 13 Old 02-01-2007, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

After visting the HR20 forum and reading the responces here, I guess I'll be keeping my UTV a little longer.
Reply Microsoft UltimateTV PVR

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page