Forum Jump: 

Old 09-17-2007, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryB153 View Post

Any of you guys also happen to be "Ham Radio" operators?

Me, me

kazak

God split himself into a myriad parts that he might have friends.' This may not be true, but it sounds good - and is no sillier than any other theology. - Lazarus Long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2007, 11:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee View Post

My two RCA DWD490RE UTVs were repaired/upgraded by CCS earlier this year. Now both have Maxtor 160GB drives in them.

so I think the "sports subscription requires a phone line connected all the times" is pure BS. (DTV sort of admitted it was).

I just put in a 160 after the 3.8 upgrade got me tinkering again. Love that 110 hours!

I know that my one unit attached to a phone line only calls out if I had ordered a PPV. I have vonage, and it records all phone calls made and I could see when it would call. It uses only the touch-tones to communicate, as my vonage service can't handle a modem connection. I don't know if that even uses a modem or what, did you try the system test with a phone line hookup?
Old 09-18-2007, 09:55 AM

kazak

I am an "all band" operator plus "Echolink" node# 146625

Lets hook up one night
Old 09-25-2008, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Figured it's been rather quite here.

Were have all the UTV users gone? Are they just "happy" with their UTVs and no need to complain or comment?

Have they been upgrading? What is DirecTV's current offering of DVR units? I hear a new DirecTV/Tivo DVR is on the way for 2009... anyone holding out for that? My last experience with DirecTV DVRs haven't been good compared to Tivo which I've also got concerns with... For us "holdouts" some tips on what our options are might be nice.

I'd suspect HD has been chipping away at UTV retirements to secondary status or the storage shelf.

UTV tuner deaths might be another.

The growth of SATA Hard Drives and reduced availability/price of PATA/IDE Drives maybe?

It's getting lonely on here. So I've been keeping busy on the local HDTV and CECB OTA forums following the Odyssey of the DTVPAL and it's fellow models (TR-40 and the new DTVPAL+). Wished I'd have waited for the DTVPAL+ since I live in a Fringe area and could have used the "stronger" tuner.

Long live UTV.

Dave
Old 09-25-2008, 06:07 PM

Hi David.....

I still get my notifications when someone replies to an old thread, brings back memories.

Boy do I miss the good 'ol days...Kazak, NlogN, you, Hal>>> hahaha!
Always new things to try, and tricks to help people out.
Between playing with UTV's and doing the unmentionable to HU's, it was a blast

I still have 4 UTV's piled up beside my desk. Keeps it alive for me. I can't bring myself
to remove them.
Since I don't get to watch very much TV these days, it's a BELL HD PVR for me.
Canada is slowly catching up.

thinking ....
Old 09-26-2008, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I retired my UTV a year ago when I upgraded to the HR20 and HD. I just couldn't see paying 9.95 a month for the UTV service and the 4.95 a month DVR fee. I haven't had any issues with mine.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theratpatrol View Post

I retired my UTV a year ago when I upgraded to the HR20 and HD. I just couldn't see paying 9.95 a month for the UTV service and the 4.95 a month DVR fee. I haven't had any issues with mine.

I'm trying to remember what DirecTV HR I tried for a day or two. HR15 maybe?

Larger Hard Drive but I don't think it had a 30 sec skip (30 second slide I think). GUI wasn't to my liking and the UTV it was going to replace started behaving again... So it went back to DirecTV.

Yep, I should seriously look into the fees I'm paying DTV. Still have the protection plan, UTV and Tivo service fees, along with all my mirror receiver fees. Got a few UTVs that have been "offline" for a while... Should seriously consider deactivating them. (Had one up for Summer Olympics, then unplugged it until yesterday... Fall TV '09 is finally swinging into gear and need the space.)
Old 09-26-2008, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgodave View Post

I'm trying to remember what DirecTV HR I tried for a day or two. HR15 maybe?

Larger Hard Drive but I don't think it had a 30 sec skip (30 second slide I think). GUI wasn't to my liking and the UTV it was going to replace started behaving again... So it went back to DirecTV.

Yep, I should seriously look into the fees I'm paying DTV. Still have the protection plan, UTV and Tivo service fees, along with all my mirror receiver fees. Got a few UTVs that have been "offline" for a while... Should seriously consider deactivating them. (Had one up for Summer Olympics, then unplugged it until yesterday... Fall TV '09 is finally swinging into gear and need the space.)

You probably had an HR20 or an R15 (SD version), there is no HR15.

I have the HR20 HD DVR. It has come a LONG way since it came out 2 years ago. It now has true 30 second skip. For me it seems faster then the UTV was, especially for searches, it has triple tap on the remote, like a cell phone, to type words in.

I've never had any major issues with mine, it records everything I tell it to.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Checked back on the threads. It was an R15.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=858862&page=2

As I mentioned earlier... DTV and Tivo are developing a new DVR and I'm interested in seeing what that is going to offer... An HD setup upgrade might not be far in the future for me.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:13 PM

Sony UTV bought July 2001 replaced hard drive with 120GB shortly thereafter. That drive was replaced earlier this year after the whining noise became too loud. Tuners were replaced this year (thanks to CCS).
Unit is running strong. I even log on to WebTV just to see if it works.
This is now the oldest consumer electronic device that I am using on a regular basis. I have a Sony Beta VCR still hooked up to my entertainment center but haven't put a tape into it in a long time.
I havent seen any similar device demonstrated that works as well as UTV. But I am probably not a neutral observer.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerin View Post

Sony UTV bought July 2001 replaced hard drive with 120GB shortly thereafter. That drive was replaced earlier this year after the whining noise became too loud. Tuners were replaced this year (thanks to CCS).
Unit is running strong. I even log on to WebTV just to see if it works.
This is now the oldest consumer electronic device that I am using on a regular basis. I have a Sony Beta VCR still hooked up to my entertainment center but haven't put a tape into it in a long time.
I havent seen any similar device demonstrated that works as well as UTV. But I am probably not a neutral observer.

That the UTVers I'm thinking about. Basically my UTVs have been trouble free for 6.5 years now and besides the "help" I've gotten from the forum about upgrades and PM/Repair options... The UTVs haven't need much attention. Keep it up.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:14 AM

I've still got 2 UTV's in service. One of mine just had a tuner go down. Not sure if I will search for another one to swap it out with or not. I don't use that receiver much anyway.

I'm got the buy a 60+ inch tv bug biting me. Along with a dose of call DTV and get a HD-DVR set up heading this way. I've been pleased with my old 36" Toshiba CRT tv so far. I've seen lots of HD set ups and they don't look night and day better then my current set up. It's going to the larger screen that will warrant the HD upgrade though.

Good to hear you've had no problems lgodave. Over the years, I've had 3 tuners fail, 1 drive fail and one board failure due to a lightning hit. All easily replaced through eBay and this forum.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Since 4/15/02...
Two UTV "failures" (Tuner Death). One of those (My last retail UTV purchase in March 03) was replaced with a HDVR2/Tivo in Summer/Fall 2003. My primary Sony UTV (A CC "reconditioned" display/demo model) has had it's tuners replaced by CCS. Some flakiness over the years has required me to install an internal Blower Fan which has kept it happy for the most part.

Had a 160GB Seagate Hard Drive failure when upgrading my Tivo (which lucky me Seagate had switched to a 5 year warranty... Good till 2010. Seagate's 160GB replacement went into the Sony. I picked up a 250GB WD for the Tivo.). Can't say I've had any hard drive failures in any of my UTVs. My 80/120 upgrades have all been humming along nicely and the tuners on those units have been fine. Might be because they are elevated on caps and in the basement where the temp is usually around 55F. No added fans for those.

I haven't had much "luck" with Ebay and for sales from this site... until recently at least. Many of those had dead tuners (which I wasn't made aware of) and/or had drive/power up issues... So those usually weren't in service and are just parts machines.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:55 AM

Wow, reading this thread is like a class reunion. I also still have UTVs in service...at last count 4 of 'em, having just recently retired one. I also have 2 DirecTivos in use, and am now the owner of 3 DTV Dvrs (a 20, 21, and a 22, if I remember the models correctly).

I got my first UTV from my wife as an anniversary present in April of 2001. I had joined these forums just a few months earlier. My wife still says that UTV is one of the top 5 pieces of technology in the house (and believe me, she's been exposed to a crapload of gadgets over the years). I'd pretty much agree with her on that.

I've done the hard drive upgrades on all but 1 (the recently retired unit), and I'm pretty sure at least 3 of the remaining 4 got loving care at CCS at one point or another.

I'm gradually doing the HD switchover...very interested in SWM since as you might imagine, with 9 DVRs, the multi-switch and wiring poses a challenge.

As yes, I'm still in love with the UTV interface. Nothing, and I really mean nothing, IMHO has ever come close to it.

Charles
Old 10-05-2008, 11:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 459
My UTV is still going strong along side my new HR21. I still use it to record the occasional SD program and as a backup for "must see" shows. It's saved me from missing at least a few shows that the HR21 failed to record early on. It's been a lot better recently, though.

I've been very happy with the latest HR21 software other than the search function. I loved being able to set up title searches to record on the UTV, even if the shows weren't yet in the guide. It made getting ready for the new Fall lineup so much easier. That's another reason I still keep the UTV going. I just have it set to keep no more than a couple of episodes of each show, so they'll roll off automatically if I don't need to watch them (as in they're in HD on the HR20). Of course, it's always nice to have an extra couple of tuners for busy nights.

If they were to ever make an HD version of the UTV, I'd get one in a second - especially if it had broadband and remote scheduling support.

Right now, it's a team effort between the two DVRs.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

My UTV is still going strong along side my new HR21. I still use it to record the occasional SD program and as a backup for "must see" shows. It's saved me from missing at least a few shows that the HR21 failed to record early on. It's been a lot better recently, though.

(Clip)

Of course, it's always nice to have an extra couple of tuners for busy nights.

If they were to ever make an HD version of the UTV, I'd get one in a second - especially if it had broadband and remote scheduling support.

Right now, it's a team effort between the two DVRs.

I've found that to be true about my DTivo... It's currently a "backup" of my UTVs and it does tend to "miss" programs the UTV will catch... OR it will record a bunch of repeats (deleting "new" content) that the UTV is "smart" enough to not re-record. The Colbert Report is a good example... CC repeats the previous day's show like 3 times and my DTivo tends leave me with 4 records of the same show...

Got to love having more tuners then you need at any one time... I'm thinking it might be good to move a UTV upstairs to "backup" my Primary UTV. It's becoming too common, where I want to record a few shows and I still want to channel surf...
Old 10-07-2008, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

I still have 2 utv's in service. However, I am gradually shifting away from using the utv's to watch the shows - mostly I use the utv for watching sports only, where the 30 second skip still rules, and use my pc to watch the others after doing a capture and ad removal.

For those that might be interested, here's my video processing procedure:

I have developed a somewhat pain free method to capture these onto one of my pc's where I then have a number of scripts that I use to remove commercials. Then I play them back on my laptop connected via s-video to my TV using the vlc media player. The files remain on my desktop PC which serves the files to my laptop using a standard windows file share. These are sent over my linksys wireless network which surprisingly is fast enough. VLC has a nice cropping function so I can get rid of the noise that DTV puts in the first 5 lines of a video (some sort of control info that normally is not seen on a regular TV, but is visible in a captured video file).

What I am thinking about is how to get some sort of DTV dvr that lets me transfer files over my network, since the biggest headache is to capture a show. This, with a utv, takes a full playback time. So, to transfer 1 hour takes an hour to capture, then about 15 minutes to send over my network to my video processing system. Ad removal takes another 10 mintues or so.

My scripts use the video-redo shareware program to transfer the file across my network onto my big desktop machine and cleans up the video a bit during the transfer. Then I run video redo's ad detective, and also run comskip, a free commercial removal program.

I wrote a script that lets me place the output windows (with scenes to delete) from both programs sort of on top of one another so I can see in a flash if they both agree with where the ads are. If they do, I accept the results, which usually work quite well. If they don't agree, it's easy to see and I then do a manual edit pass to fix up any mistakes they make. Usually one or the other of the programs remove the ads quite well.

BTW, the most accurate way to tell where commericals end is that there is almost always now a tv rating block in the first few seconds after a commercial ends. For the beginnings, there's a fade to black which is easy to see by eyeballing it. Both programs are adept at finding the black frames that are there between show and commercials.

Anyway, once you get addicted to watching shows, like heros' or any movies on FX, tbs, AMC, etc. with all the commercials edited out, it makes even the 30 second skip button seem to be a lot of trouble.

But for ease of setting up recordings, I still like the UTV the best. But I can see a day in the future where I will probably go the beyond tv route or some other similar system.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:12 PM

Not me.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:45 PM

i like my UTV
Old 11-11-2008, 11:18 AM

I haven't looked here since I moved on from my UTV. Surprised to see a few of you's still here. I moved to a Tivo HR10-250 (crappy box for the most part), to a HR20-100 (better, but the video card crapped out), and now I have a HR22-100 (pretty much the same, but operating correctly, so far.) If the UTV was HD, I never would have left. Still the best OS of all the boxes I've had.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:15 PM

Still have 3 running here... and as other have mentioned.. still the best interface there was..

but with the tv's getting switched over to flat lcd's... it won't be long till they are all shut down..

Any decent upgrade offers?

Joe
Old 11-16-2008, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplescia View Post

Still have 3 running here...
but with the tv's getting switched over to flat lcd's... it won't be long till they are all shut down..

The "trick" I've found is not to use the HD feed (OTA) as much on my HDTV... and avoid comparing it to my SD feed from the UTV. It really is no comparison...

Sort of tricks your mind into thinking it's "great" when it really isn't... Just like how I use the "OK" Coaxial feeds on most of my TVs where A/V or S-Video are better. I suspect there will be plenty of folks next year using "SD" Converter Boxs that will be using my "logic". It's better then Analog but not as good as true HD, but if you don't care to compare to much... all is good.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Still have 3 running here... and as other have mentioned.. still the best interface there was..

I never thought I would this, but the HR's have come a long way in the last 2 years and I find them to be a bit faster at doing things then the UTV.
Quote:

Any decent upgrade offers?

You should give them a call and see what they can for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgodave View Post

The "trick" I've found is not to use the HD feed (OTA) as much on my HDTV... and avoid comparing it to my SD feed from the UTV. It really is no comparison...

Sort of tricks your mind into thinking it's "great" when it really isn't... Just like how I use the "OK" Coaxial feeds on most of my TVs where A/V or S-Video are better. I suspect there will be plenty of folks next year using "SD" Converter Boxs that will be using my "logic". It's better then Analog but not as good as true HD, but if you don't care to compare to much... all is good.

Not quite sure what you mean here, but ok. An HD picture is way better then any SD picture I've ever seen.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theratpatrol View Post

Not quite sure what you mean here, but ok. An HD picture is way better then any SD picture I've ever seen.

To put it simple... Think of SD UTV feed as Analog OTA. HD as well HD OTA... You know HD is better picture then SD... but you try not to compare them much... SD is "good" and you're happy not to spend the extra $10 plus hardware/setup a month to provide HD to your HD set. (Odd I know considering the $10 UTV fee, Tivo/DTVDVR fee,Mirror fees, etc. I'm already paying...)

If when the rest of the TVs get upgraded (probably not for a long while) I might understand the desire to upgrade...

I guess until you get an HDTV and compare it to SD you'll be better able to "fool" yourself. So I'm "fooling" myself with my Eyes Wide Open.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:52 PM

I agree that ignorance is bliss. If you don't expose yourself to the HD signals, they won't be your reference. And also, you won't see how many zits, scars, warts and wrinkles that the average 'celebrity' has (not fun to watch while eating).

Another alternative is to buy a HDTV 37" or below, and read the reviews for claims about excellent SD performance through the s-video inputs. Some HDTVs do a much better job with SD than others.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blimey View Post

I agree that ignorance is bliss. If you don't expose yourself to the HD signals, they won't be your reference. And also, you won't see how many zits, scars, warts and wrinkles that the average 'celebrity' has (not fun to watch while eating).

Another alternative is to buy a HDTV 37" or below, and read the reviews for claims about excellent SD performance through the s-video inputs. Some HDTVs do a much better job with SD than others.

But the problem is that I don't want/need a complete TV, I only want a monitor. When I look at the prices, hdtv's are very expensive (at frys say) while computer monitors, of a decent size, say 25"" are as little as $400. That would be way good enough for me, except, these don't have s-video inputs.

I wonder, is there a cheap converter to take s-video and change it to pc analog or digital so it would play on one of these?
Old 12-14-2008, 08:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket View Post

But the problem is that I don't want/need a complete TV, I only want a monitor. When I look at the prices, hdtv's are very expensive (at frys say) while computer monitors, of a decent size, say 25"" are as little as $400. That would be way good enough for me, except, these don't have s-video inputs.

I wonder, is there a cheap converter to take s-video and change it to pc analog or digital so it would play on one of these?

The converter would cost more than the TV.

You can get a 25" LCD HDTV for under $400. Saw at least 3 at that pricepoint at Walmart just a few days ago - and that was regular price. You can get in the 30" range for around $500 - and some of those come with RGB inputs, so you could use them for both TV and the computer.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:48 AM

Location: San Jose CA - "Valley of Hearts Delight" - Silicon Valley, Hwy 85&87
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwozniak View Post

I haven't looked here since I moved on from my UTV. Surprised to see a few of you's still here. I moved to a Tivo HR10-250 (crappy box for the most part), to a HR20-100 (better, but the video card crapped out), and now I have a HR22-100 (pretty much the same, but operating correctly, so far.) If the UTV was HD, I never would have left. Still the best OS of all the boxes I've had.

I'm debating a move from UTV to HD still. I have a HR10-250 available to use OTA, and maybe on D*, on a new bedroom HDTV after I would get a free HR2x for the family room. Does that old unit access all the D* channels and programing content? I can't find much on this site, and I know nothing about MPEG-2/-4 encoding.

Yes, I know I'll need a new access card, but I'll try whining and groveling, known also as haggling.

Thanks for your time, Bob

Bob - Inactive & available: 2 SD Sony SAT-W60 DVRs
Old 12-23-2008, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownersedge View Post

I'm debating a move from UTV to HD still. I have a HR10-250 available to use OTA, and maybe on D*, on a new bedroom HDTV after I would get a free HR2x for the family room. Does that old unit access all the D* channels and programing content? I can't find much on this site, and I know nothing about MPEG-2/-4 encoding.

Yes, I know I'll need a new access card, but I'll try whining and groveling, known also as haggling.

Thanks for your time, Bob

The older boxes will continue to get the MPEG2 SD channels from 101/110/119. It will not pick up any of the new MPEG4 HD channels, you will need a new receiver for that. Your HR10-250 will be able to pick up the few MPEG2 HD channels, but those will be going away soon.

If you want even more information, check out this site.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRatPatrol View Post

The older boxes will continue to get the MPEG2 SD channels from 101/110/119. It will not pick up any of the new MPEG4 HD channels, you will need a new receiver for that. Your HR10-250 will be able to pick up the few MPEG2 HD channels, but those will be going away soon.

If you want even more information, check out this site.

Thanks for the link... Just used my Protection Plan this afternoon to replace one of my UTVs that has decided it wanted to delete recordings/lockup/reset/have sluggish remote response plus a dead tuner...

DirecTV anticipates sending me an R15 or R16 replacement hoping the link will get me up to speed just like this site has for nearly 9 years now.

After the "new" receiver gets installed I'll still be running 5 other UTVs. Still haven't found a DirectDVR yet that offers PIP, 30 second skip (default), and 300X FF/Rewind.