Need help isolating trouble - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-23-2007, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
This weekend my utv started acting strange. It did not record shows I scheduled. I ran a system test and it showed sigal, tuner 1 and tuner 2 failed. The way I get back to working is by turning it off and doing a 12357 code. I then turn it on, run the tests and everything is ok. It seems like when it hits a certain part on the drive that it restarts. I have to go through all the above to get it to work again. I am not sure if it is the drive or the unit. I happened to look at Circuit city and they are selling a Western Digital Internal Hard Drive (WD2500JBRTL)
WDC WD2500JBRTL for $59. and a 169 gig for $69. Could I put in the 250 to save money. Is there a procedure fore the drive replacement? I really hate to switch to Tivo. I have been very lucky with my unit. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-23-2007, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

The tuner(s) issue is troubling...

I'm concerned that a hard drive upgrade might not be warranted at the moment.

However, yes save money and pickup the 250GB drive if you decide to go that route. You can only use 137GB of that 250... but save $10... and you'll still have a 250GB drive should you ever use that drive in another device...

So... I'd personally run down a list to eliminate "other" issues that may be causing a tuner problem. It might still be a bad tuner(s)... but it is best to be certain.

1. Power down the UTV overnight allow it to cool down. Make sure it is in the open, clean, and the internal fan is running. Elevate the base to increase air flow (bottle caps)... improve cooling if possible. If you are lucky this may extend the life of your UTV and reduce overheating related problems.

2. Pull the Tuner Cables from the UTV and see if the UTV remains running and doesn't restart "when it hits a certain part" of the drive.

3. Test out the individual Tuner cable runs. Bypass the multi-switch (if you have one). Check the LNB (Dish) and all the contacts (grounding block) between it and the UTV. Test the lines individually (not in pairs). Test it on one tuner, then the other... then checking the other cable.

4. Consider "restoring" the UTV to an "out of box" condition. This will delete EVERYTHING except the UTV OS... so be sure to save everything you don't want lost before hand. Use UTV Code 2355 2355 from the UTV Remote. (Check the UTV FAQ for more details) This can be a good move before trying a replacement drive. Most software "glitches" that a reset can't fix... can be resolved this way.

Best of Luck... Hopefully its just an overheat issue and some TLC and adjustments can improve things.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-23-2007, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Tahnks lgodave,

I got a Sony unit from my neighbor. He said it was working when he removed it. What do I need to do. Do I just put in my card or do I have to call D* and have them help me? My unit is an RCA.
post #4 of 7 Old 04-23-2007, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

If you have a DTV Online account (or you register for one) you can try "refreshing Services" online... which should allow you to "remarry" the access card to the Sony UTV.

By swapping the Access Card into the Sony and "refreshing services"... it should work within a few minutes. At least so I've heard from other threads on this Forum.

If that doesn't work out or you'd rather talk to DTV... They should be able to walk you though it. If they want to send you a replacement access card be sure they don't charge you for it. (Be nice but firm that you aren't paying for a new access card)

They might even want to "upgrade" you to a DTV DVR... Do what you think is best... but I'm sticking with my UTVs till they work no more...
post #5 of 7 Old 04-23-2007, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks lgodave...........
post #6 of 7 Old 04-23-2007, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

lgodave,

I put in the Sony and did the ext 722 and it worked perfectly...
post #7 of 7 Old 04-25-2007, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Now that you are back up and running, you might consider getting a spare or repairing the one you have. There's always some utv ex-patriot that has one for sale cheap.

Buy one before they discover what they are giving up
Reply Microsoft UltimateTV PVR

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page