Original Fan for UTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 05-29-2007, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After 5 years of 24/7 service my un-modded UTV's HDD finally died. I took the drive from my other modded unit (original 40GB drive) and dropped it in. It only had a few months service on it before I replaced it with a 105 hr drive.

Frankly, I am amazed that I can go clear back to instructions written on '02 and restore back to normal. The DL of 3.7 went without a hitch and I am back in business in less than 24 hrs. I thought about loading 3.7 with winhex, but I was curious if it all still worked like before. It did! Afterwards I logged into my D* account and refreshed the services. Done.

One problem I noticed is the internal cooling fan seemed to have seized so I bought a replacement 60X60 fan. Trouble is it sounds like I'm in a hotel now.

Is there any place I can get a fan that is as quiet as the original? The rating on this one is 27db - too loud. The original fan wasn't even audible when it was working. It must have had a lower RPM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-04-2007, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
make an adaptor to run it off 7volts
use an old floppy pass thru and tie the 5v side to the -side of the fan 12-5=7
of course if ya smoke your UTV dont yell at me
post #3 of 13 Old 06-05-2007, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I've made a "7volt" adapter from an old Y-style Molex Power Cable. It was ment to provide "low" power to my PC Slot Fan which I was using in my UTV. (A good idea for anyone needing extra cooling.)

However, the adapter didn't do much good for me. Either I didn't wire it correctly or the fan motor(s) I was trying to spin up didn't like that low voltage.

I'd agree with dan0. If you want to give it a try... it may be worth it. I don't see it causing an issue with your UTV's hard drive... As long as you prevent it from shorting out on the UTV's electronics. (Electrical tape is good!)
post #4 of 13 Old 06-09-2007, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

I installed my slot fan just as the directions said out of the box. It has a 4-pin molex pass-thru that attaches to the HDD for power. The sound is a little audible when everything else is off, but I can't hear it when watching TV or any other ancillary sound is present.

I did read somewhere about reducing the voltage to a CPU case fan to make it spin slower. I would like to try that even though the UTV is MUCH cooler with it at that speed.
Can you be a little more specific about the floppy drive "pass-thru", or other means to reduce the voltage? I do understand the formula of 12-5=7. I just do not understand which wires from where give me the desired result. Not to mention the stress you put on getting it right!

I have also seen what appeared to be a type of rheostat control for these PC case fans. I am not sure of the voltage requirements though.

Thanks for your help.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-13-2007, 01:17 PM

the floppy connector has 4 wires
yellow = 12v
black = ground
black = ground
red = 5v

on the end going to the fan cut the ground wire and replace it with the 5v line
now your fan gets 12v in on the yellow line
and 5v on the ground side
giving the fan an overall voltage of 7v

USE CAUTION anytime you are MIXING Hot & Ground Lines you CAN FRY Things.

in fact once you make the modified adapter I'd plug it into a pc power supply and check the voltages. if you get 7v's plug the fan into it and see how it spins before ya put it in the UTV

ref this page for pinout info on the floppy connector
/http://www.pcguide.com/ref/power/sup/partsDrive-c.html
post #6 of 13 Old 06-14-2007, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

A bit of digging finds me this link.

http://www.heatsink-guide.com/psplug.htm

This should give a visual to what dan0 is suggesting. There are various ways to do this... some are easier then others. Good luck and try not to fry anything.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-14-2007, 04:59 PM

good find, I've got to book mark that page. Thanks!
post #8 of 13 Old 06-15-2007, 12:18 AM
Advanced Member

post #9 of 13 Old 06-16-2007, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

Guys,
That is exactly what I was looking for. Your taking the time to explain things like this makes it all worth the while coming here year after year.

If it were not for AVS and all of you in the UTV forum I... well... OMG... probably would have got cable!

Your advice is the bomb. I'll try not to "blow up" my UTV.
post #10 of 13 Old 06-16-2007, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

I was about to get started on this when I remembered that the original fan had a connector that plugs onto a 2-terminal connection on the MB.

When I installed the new fan I cut the 2-pin connector off the old fan so I could plug it onto the same pins. The molex connector that came with the new fan is wired for +12v - red to yellow, and black to black.

It sounds like I am supposed to use the new 4-wire molex instead using:
Fan red → molex yellow
Fan black → molex red

I guess I am not to use the old 2-pin connection on the MB? Just ignore it altogether?
post #11 of 13 Old 06-17-2007, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I suppose it depends on how you want to do things.

It might be easiest to simply rewire the Molex connector already on the fan and install it in-line. Just make sure the UTV Hard drive is still going to be getting "regular power".

The 2-pin MB connector may or may not be at 7 volts already (anyone know?)... If it is 7 volts you might be able to wire your 2 pin connector into the fan's Molex connector WITHOUT the need to cut the yellow/red wires OR directly share power with the UTV Hard drive.

Most likely you'll just ignore the connector altogether. Good luck.
post #12 of 13 Old 06-17-2007, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Just for fun I pulled out my multimeter and measured the current at the pins on the MB. It is 12v. I had the new fan wired directly to it just like the original setup.

I switched that connection to be inline with the main power to the HDD using the method above. Now it is running at 7v, slower, and just as quiet as when it was new. I checked the heat and it appears to still be cooling OK.

I'm pleased with the results. Again thanks for the help and education.
post #13 of 13 Old 07-04-2007, 02:05 AM

For future reference the original fan is a Delta AUB0612LD-S352. It is a 60mm x 60mm x 20mm fan that is rated 13.02 CFM and 3200 RPM. The spec sheet is available here:

http://www.excesssolutions.com/mas_a...bat/ES2877.pdf

The fan is available from Excess Solutions here:

http://www.excesssolutions.com/cgi-b...gi?item=ES2877

Currently priced at $4 but there is a $25 minimum order or handling fee equal to the difference between the order and $25. So if you bought one fan the handling fee would be $21.

Also available at HSC here:

https://www.halted.com/commerce/cata...=1183538469439

Priced at $5.95 with $20 minimum order or $5 handling fee. This may have only bare leads and no plug. There is no plug in the picture and the part number does not have the S352 extension which may indicate the plug.

And this is likely more than anyone wanted to know.
Reply Microsoft UltimateTV PVR

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page