Unit said it was doing an upgrade!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 81 Old 08-29-2007, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Uh Oh, one of my units (my fav too ) was on a screen saying don't turn off the unit, it was doing an upgrade.

I know it can't do one over the phone, and the phone line was not busy anyway, so what's going on. I pulled the plug as I don't want any more upgrades anyway.

Anyone else seen this lately? It was 2 am pacific time and the progress showed it was a few percent done.

I know there's 2 copies of the system area, so I figured it would be safe to pull the plug. I powered it up and it seemed ok and nothing lost or changed. No upgrades are scheduled. Is this the beginning of the end for my disk drive? I know it's been running for nearly 5 years or more non-stop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 Old 08-29-2007, 01:40 PM

Mine just said the same thing! I must have hit the OK button and maybe accidentally cancelled it or something, said upgrade failed...

WTF? Any update at this point can't be good...
post #3 of 81 Old 08-29-2007, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

That might not be a problem.

If after an update the UTV doesn't "take" the OS or wants to do it all over again... Then you probably have a drive issue. Check your power,IDE, and drive for issues. (PULL YOUR ACCESS CARD FIRST!!!)

UTVs sometimes are "blind" to a hard drive. Replacement is usually a quick and easy fix. The "bad" drive might then be unlocked and used in a PC or other applications. Various Drive Testing programs can tell you if there is a real problem. If your PC has the same issue (auto-detect or manually "see" an unlocked drive)... then it is toast.
post #4 of 81 Old 08-29-2007, 03:09 PM

I have it on good authority that Microsoft is releasing an upgrade for UltimateTV. It is required to maintain compatibility with DirecTV. Don't interfere with the upgrade process.
post #5 of 81 Old 08-29-2007, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hmmm, this could screw up my backup plan where I have the 3.7 utv image in a file in case I need to winhex it to a new drive.

I have vonage and that won't work with upgrades once the sat feed is gone.

Wonder why it only affected one of my units.
post #6 of 81 Old 08-30-2007, 04:50 AM

Is there still a 3.7 update in the stream? I checked my UTV and it still says 3.5.
post #7 of 81 Old 08-30-2007, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

AFAIK there has been no 3.7 in the stream for years. That's why I bought a CD with a copy of 3.7 off of ebay some years ago. I've used that to replace a bad drive on 2 occasions instead of trying to get it by phone line. Of course, this requires some PC expertise and the software to do the update. But I had invested since I thought there'd be no more utv upgrades, ever.

There are so-called "image-begging" internet sites where you could find a 3.7, but if there's another update about to happen, then I would think you'd get 3.7+ like the rest of us and that this would be in the stream.

I remember 3.5 and 3.7 is far better. In fact, if we'd only have had 3.5 all these years, I'd probably be looking at moving to something else.
post #8 of 81 Old 08-30-2007, 03:20 PM

One of my units took the upgrade last night, but there is no sign of it in history. It does show up in the upgrades screen, however.

No additional features that I can find as of yet...
post #9 of 81 Old 08-30-2007, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

jimmyo,

If it shows in the "Upgrade" and "System Info" screens... Could you post the version #s? Is it still 3.7(version 28218)?
post #10 of 81 Old 08-30-2007, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

On another board, it was stated that this upgrade might be like one that was required on the tivos having to do with a new guide data format.

I guess if mine starts updating again, I'll let it complete, if it can.
post #11 of 81 Old 09-02-2007, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTV_Zorro View Post

I have it on good authority that Microsoft is releasing an upgrade for UltimateTV. It is required to maintain compatibility with DirecTV. Don't interfere with the upgrade process.

DO you work for Dave?

thinking ....
post #12 of 81 Old 09-03-2007, 08:13 PM

Liked: 12
My six year old unit upgraded to Version 3.8 (28230). It sure shocked me when I turned it on and it said it had upgraded itself. I have no idea what the upgrade does. I haven't noticed anything different so far.
post #13 of 81 Old 09-04-2007, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

doyoid,

This might be a dumb thing to say... but with 3.7 the UTV's "help" section pointed out some of the "new" features... If we compared the "Help" screens of 3.7 and 3.8 we might see some differences. IF the programmers went to the trouble of updating the Help Screens.

I'm trying to recall if 3.7 still has a pic of the WTC (pre 9-11-01) in the help section.
post #14 of 81 Old 09-04-2007, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, this does sound like they didn't add any features, but only provided us with compatibility with current DTV signals.

This should indicate that rumors of the UTV demise has been greatly exaggerated.
post #15 of 81 Old 09-04-2007, 07:54 PM

i've been having trouble receiving some channels (Discovery, usa, and a couple others). could this be related?

i've received no update yet.
post #16 of 81 Old 09-04-2007, 09:00 PM

Liked: 12
Did the earlier software version have a feature that would warn you if a program to be recorded might run long? The record symbol looks different. I saw this in the version 3.8 help section.
post #17 of 81 Old 09-05-2007, 10:01 AM

For those of us with no update so far, anyone pulled the image off their drive yet?
post #18 of 81 Old 09-05-2007, 11:06 AM

Anyone using a new slimline 5-LNB dish? I just switched out my 3-LNB when I got an HR20 installed and now my UTV can't pickup the satellites. Without a satellite signal, it won't show me what I had in the scheduled recordings so that I can make the same programs in the HR20. I don't think my box had gotten the update before I switched dishes.
post #19 of 81 Old 09-05-2007, 11:28 AM

Mine auto-upgraded about 1:30am this morning. Here are some things I've noticed:
  • In the guide, the show description to the right of the live TV preview PIP, the font color has changed to white (I believe it was a shade of green before?)
  • When accessing a show from "My Shows" that has been partially watched, there is now an additional "Start Over" button immediately above "Resume Play" (in addition to the usual "Erase" and "Keep Until" buttons. If you stop a show in the middle, the screen is as normal with "erase", "start over" and "resume play" buttons only.
  • The progress bar on the bottom of the screen while watching a recorded show (either when you push Play or FF or Rewind, etc) is now transparent (in the same vein as the top-right play, FF, or rewind icon)

As you can see, these are quite random, and not necessarily anything that I would say I needed. Please post if anyone notices any other changes. One upgrade every 4 years.. I can't even believe my UltimateTV is still functioning after 5 years. BTW, looking under "help" on the box just explains the changes from the last upgrade in 2003, they didn't update it for this new upgrade.
post #20 of 81 Old 09-05-2007, 12:58 PM

OK I just found something that changed which I definitely appreciate.

My Shows-->Upcoming Recordings-->select one-->"change just this showing" (if applicable)-->there is a new "credits" button underneath the show description (along with the old buttons "dont record", "options", and "done". This is huge, because previously I would have to go through the guide, and then the info button and then the credits button to find out if a show is airing for the first time or if it is a re-run, which was a pain

post #21 of 81 Old 09-05-2007, 02:22 PM

The official word about the 3.8 update is up on www.ultimateTV.com. Here is what it says regarding the purpose of this update:

"The Summer 2007 Update has been released to maintain compatibility with the DirecTV service so your UltimateTV will continue to record programs as expected. Without the update, your UltimateTV may record the wrong program or miss recording a program. "

I've been told that this is first being broadcast to the pacific time zone and that the other time zones will follow in a few days.

Cheers!
post #22 of 81 Old 09-05-2007, 02:44 PM

http://www.ultimatetv.com/summer2007update.asp

Thanks. I have been noticing in the past couple of weeks some strange recording behavior in the early morning. Instead of recording an hour long program from 6-7am, it would say it recorded at that time, but the recording would contain programming which airs from 630-730am.

This morning it recorded perfectly so maybe the update fixed it. I had assumed it was just a sign my box was going to die soon.
post #23 of 81 Old 09-05-2007, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTV_Zorro View Post

The official word about the 3.8 update is up on www.ultimateTV.com.

I've been told that this is first being broadcast to the pacific time zone and that the other time zones will follow in a few days.

Cheers!

OK so if I may ask. Is this being "broadcast" in the SAT stream or via modem dialup? Early talk suggested a modem download. But if they are going "mainstream" and "pushing" the update I won't go to the trouble of wiring up all my UTVs for hardline access. I'll just wait for the Central TZ rollout.

I had tried a download with 8675309 last night but no luck. Not sure if it checks the UTV's "TZ" setting OR by dialup area code to determine if a user gets 3.8 or not.

As for the "credits" upgrade of 3.8. I think I'll LOVE that. Particularly if the info. is available after it records AND during "current" programs. I recall with 3.7 it was only available on FUTURE shows. If it was showing LIVE or already recorded it omitted that option.

As for the more "pleasant" GUI... I might enjoy the more clear WHITE text over the green. Assuming the WHITE doesn't tend to "bleed". More transparent controls... great. Anyone test for "RUN AWAY FF"? I'll probably stay with the skip functions but you never know.
post #24 of 81 Old 09-05-2007, 07:04 PM

per www.ultimatetv.com the update is coming via satellite and should be complete by 9/15/07. if you don't have it by the 15th, it recommends dialling in for the modem update.
post #25 of 81 Old 09-05-2007, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok, my first unit upgraded to 3.8. The only indication was that it was on the tv-home page, which is where it goes after a powerup.

No, there's no credits in current shows that I can see.

My unit says the current upgrade was at 1:42 am earlier today. 28230.

I have vonage, and the utv site mentions that voip will probably not work. I can confirm that one.

Good question about getting the image off the drive, as I don't really know how to do that myself and it required some hot cable switching as I recall. I have a spare utv and maybe I'll have to hook it up for a while and switch in my card to get the upgrade.

The ! in a red ball has been in 3.7 and I don't have any shows scheduled to record that would indicate that has changed. The rest of the help is the 3.7 help. At least the item latest features has not changed (I can view both 3.7 and 3.8 on my 2 units).

I did verify that the runaway FF/REW is still there

Good news is that it doesn't seem to have messed up anything. My oldest kept show is a PPV Lord of the Rings, and it is still there, so it's not deleting any old shows.

Hmm, the somewhat transparent progress might help as it often covered the time left in a basketball game making it hard to skip to the last 5 minutes. Maybe this will help. But I wonder why they changed this at all. I wanted to see a two color progress guide, with one color to show how much buffering ahead you have when viewing something that's still recording. Oh well, guess I'll just have to wait 4 more years.
post #26 of 81 Old 09-05-2007, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket View Post

Good question about getting the image off the drive, as I don't really know how to do that myself and it required some hot cable switching as I recall. I have a spare utv and maybe I'll have to hook it up for a while and switch in my card to get the upgrade.

The procedure is in the FAQ. I assume it will work the same with this update?
post #27 of 81 Old 09-05-2007, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgodave View Post

As for the "credits" upgrade of 3.8. I think I'll LOVE that. Particularly if the info. is available after it records AND during "current" programs. I recall with 3.7 it was only available on FUTURE shows. If it was showing LIVE or already recorded it omitted that option.

Credits is available for live recordings, but not for already recorded shows

As already stated, runaway FF/RW is still a problem. Also, it is still a problem where if you are watching a show that is still recording, it can randomly stop recording before the show is done. Is this a known bug, or is there something I can do to prevent it? I've seen lots of mention of runaway FF in various FAQ's but not the stop recording problem
post #28 of 81 Old 09-05-2007, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j123 View Post

The procedure is in the FAQ. I assume it will work the same with time update?

Ah, yes, you have to unplug a running utv's ide cable and plug this into your computer.

I wonder, though, since winhex will work with a usb drive, I wonder if a safer technique is to use a usb enclosure. Then you could pull the ide cable, plug in the one with the enclosure - with the power off to be safe - and then when you plug in the usb and turn on the power, it should be recognized. I've never tried this however.
post #29 of 81 Old 09-05-2007, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpregen View Post

I've seen lots of mention of runaway FF in various FAQ's but not the stop recording problem

I've only ever seen that on a power fail, but even then it starts re-recording after it comes up. And power fail is also what they call a crash/reboot.

Check your history. It usually explains why something like that would happen.
post #30 of 81 Old 09-06-2007, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket View Post

I've only ever seen that on a power fail, but even then it starts re-recording after it comes up. And power fail is also what they call a crash/reboot.

Check your history. It usually explains why something like that would happen.

It says "Began recording as scheduled, and was manually stopped at 4:23:52 PM." Of course, I didn't stop it; and I had to start the recording again manually. I understand what you're saying about the power fail/crash; I've had that multiple times and it starts recording immediately upon reboot.
Reply Microsoft UltimateTV PVR

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page