UTV with Nine Lives - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-16-2008, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The hard drive in my UTV finally failed after over 6 years of use. The picture froze up and the drive made a terrible racket. This was a 120 GB replacement that I installed shortly after I bought the UTV.

So today, I installed a 160 GB Western Digital 7200 rpm drive. (I couldn't find anything smaller at my local store.) After plugging all the cables back in, the UTV did its thing and downloaded version 3.8. It's now updating the guide. My local channels are missing, but I think that takes longer.

Anyway, my UTV is back in business!! And the drive is much quieter than the previous one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-17-2008, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You probably already have your locals... but if not you can "refresh service" via your DTV account's website. (Part of the troubleshooting options)

That should force the locals to return almost instantly. (Up to 3-5 minutes according to the site... but usually only moments are needed)

Got to love those quieter drives... Fluid Dynamic Bearings (FDB) were becoming more available when I was upgrading my UTVs in 2002/2003. So I made a point of going with HDs with FDB motors in them. I can't say any of my UTVs with FDB motors have failed outright yet.
Reply Microsoft UltimateTV PVR

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page