post #1 of 9 Old 04-20-2015, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Come and Say Hello!

Greetings Nerds!

We are Sewell Direct.

You might have seen us around, we design and manufacture AV connectivity equipment including cables, adapters, video converters, extenders, splitters, switches, and more (pretty much everything in between your TV, AVR, and Speakers).

Our friends at AVSForum were kind enough to let us head up our own branded sub-forum. Since we've got a lot to share about how best to enjoy your audio video content, we thought, 'what a great idea!'

Come by and ask us if you have any kinds of home theater set-up questions, whether on a Sewell product or not, and we'll try our best to help!

Not only do we make home theater stuff, but we dabble in lots of consumer tech. Here are just a few of the brands we design/make:

Sewell Direct -- AV connectivity products
MOS -- High Design Mobile Accessories
Drift -- Our latest Smart LED Lighting Hit

What to Expect

We don't take this branded subforum lightly. We plan on rolling out product launches and giving AVS Forum members/visitors exclusive discounts right here. We even plan on rolling out a new patent-pending bit of goodness with an exclusive discount for you this week so come on back soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-21-2015, 05:37 PM
Administrator
Administrator

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewell Direct Jared View Post
We even plan on rolling out a new patent-pending bit of goodness with an exclusive discount for you this week so come on back soon!
Hmmm...

Mike Lang, Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the AVS Forum Club and help support the site. Help Support AVS Forum Sponsors.
AVS Forum is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with AV Science Inc.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-22-2015, 12:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Welcome to the site my friend!!!

Im sure this base will get ALOT OF ACTIVITY

post #4 of 9 Old 04-27-2015, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a pack of your Deadbolt Banana Plugs that I may try out with some Monoprice 12 AWG CL2 speaker wire.

How much insulation (in mm, or a range of x mm to y mm) do I need to strip off from the two individual wires?

Is it best to err on the side of larger, or smaller, lengths to strip?

I realize most will approach this via trial and error to just strip off as much as needed but I have to believe that a vendor of a successful product must have a pretty good idea of how much to strip off of a 12 AWG wire for this product.

So what's your recommendation?
post #5 of 9 Old 05-01-2015, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_Zaius View Post
I have a pack of your Deadbolt Banana Plugs that I may try out with some Monoprice 12 AWG CL2 speaker wire.

How much insulation (in mm, or a range of x mm to y mm) do I need to strip off from the two individual wires?

Is it best to err on the side of larger, or smaller, lengths to strip?
I'd go with removing about half an inch of insulation. You shouldn't see copper after you're done terminating, and Deadbolts provide a centimeter or so of cuff to cover any exposed copper. The most vital thing is to make sure the crimping teeth in the Deadbolt is getting good contact with all strands of the speaker cable. As long as that's happening, removing as little insulation as possible from there is a good idea.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-01-2015, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post
Hmmm...
Point well taken . It took a bit longer than we thought but we finally made our product launch announcement on our sub forum.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-17-2015, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Hi there!

I currently use the deadbolt banana plugs and was considering getting some of those or getting silverbacks. Which one would you say is the best banana plug? I slike the silverbacks for looks and pure copper base, but went with the deadbolts because some people said the silverbacks sometimes has an issue with the small screws.

Thanks!
post #8 of 9 Old 05-21-2015, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cischico View Post
Hi there!

I currently use the deadbolt banana plugs and was considering getting some of those or getting silverbacks. Which one would you say is the best banana plug? I slike the silverbacks for looks and pure copper base, but went with the deadbolts because some people said the silverbacks sometimes has an issue with the small screws.

Thanks!
Hi there, thanks for the question!

The two banana plug styles (Deadbolt and Silverback) you mention are pretty much our top two in terms of popularity. Both types have equal surface-area contact with the speaker wire, so in terms of sound quality, they are the same. Here are the pros and cons as I see them:

Silverbacks Biggest Pro:

Most secure.

Silverbacks Biggest Con:

install time is longer because they use little screws to ensure the wire is secure. Please let me know more details about the issues people might have with the screws. If it is simply that they are tedious to screw, I would understand what they mean (especially when wiring a 7.1 surround sound system).

Silverbacks Notes:

Silverback 12 pair packs currently include the screwdriver.

Deadbolt Biggest Pros:

Considerably strong connection with significantly less work to terminate (crimping teeth method rather than screw).
Smaller profile than Silverbacks

Deadbolt Cons:

Not as insanely secure as Silverbacks, but definitely secure enough for typical residential/commercial applications.

So, the main distinction would be the strength of the connection.

The new Strike plugs are roughly the same level of secure connection as the Deadbolts and the install time is cut into a fraction.

Connect Anything at Sewell Direct

Also, check out our dedicated AVS subforum here.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-04-2015, 06:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Thanks for the reply!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
sewell

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page