New Ghost IR Remote Control Extender (Battery Powered IR Repeater) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-05-2015, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 8
New Ghost IR Remote Control Extender (Battery Powered IR Repeater)

Here at Sewell we've been making IR repeaters for a long time (I want to say five years but time goes so fast these days it's also possible that it's been eight or something ). One of the most common scenarios we've seen is that people have a cabinet in their living room with their AV equipment in it and they open the cabinet door every time they want to use their remote.

IR over HDMI (InjectIR)
When we started selling the InjectIR a few years ago (it lets an IR signal hitch a ride on an HDMI cable via the CEC channel with an emitter at the end to control your hidden equipment) we figured the problem was solved. Unfortunately, though, that doesn't really work for people who have other uses for the CEC channel (which goes by a thousand different names since each OEM tries to brand it as their own technology). In some cases people already have the TV installed and taking the TV down to install an InjectIR would be more trouble than it's worth.

In this case we would always recommend a traditional IR repeater, but it just felt like overkill when a person needs to go less than ten feet in the same room. They don't need multiple receivers or emitters and finding a convenient power supply without creating more cable clutter can be hard.

The Ghost IR Repeater is born
About a year ago Brett, the Sewell Product Manager behind many of our most popular products, decided to tackle the problem by creating a battery-powered, short-throw repeater to get an IR signal to fix this problem. He worked with an engineer to ensure it would be easy to install, reliably replicate all IR signals including RC-MM and be efficient enough to last for more than a year with moderate use (with light use it should last up to two years). Also, when the battery dies the user the can easily change it themselves with a standard CR2032 coin cell battery.

We soft-launched the product a few weeks ago meaning mostly just our friends and family know about it, but we wanted to let you guys know about it since this is probably a common problem people on AVS forum have either dealt with themselves or have friends/family members ask about.

Our stock is limited, but if somebody asks really nice we'll hook you up with one in exchange for some feedback

(Link to Ghost IR product page on Sewell)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SW-30551_3.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	702010   Click image for larger version

Name:	GhostIR-animatedTV800px.gif
Views:	209
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	702018   Click image for larger version

Name:	GhostIR-2.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	266.1 KB
ID:	702034   Click image for larger version

Name:	GhostIR.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	702042  
Attached Images

Last edited by Sewell Direct Jared; 05-08-2015 at 10:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-04-2015, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Ghost IR

Hi,
I'm very interested in trying your product if you happen to have any extras. It's exactly what I'm looking for! It would be used in an RV where the Dish receiver is located below the TV in a cabinet. I've tried the RF units but they're bulky and require power. This one looks very compact and doesn't use external power so it's perfect for the RV market.

Thank you, Craig
post #3 of 6 Old 06-05-2015, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigJohnson View Post
Hi,
I'm very interested in trying your product if you happen to have any extras. It's exactly what I'm looking for! It would be used in an RV where the Dish receiver is located below the TV in a cabinet. I've tried the RF units but they're bulky and require power. This one looks very compact and doesn't use external power so it's perfect for the RV market.

Thank you, Craig
Craig-- sorry for the delay in response, we just ran out of these and we're due to have some come in soon.

Can you email marketing@sewelldirect.com with your shipping address? We'll reply with the ETA.

Thanks for volunteering! We only ask that you report back here on the thread about how it's working out for you. I think the RV application is awesome!

Connect Anything at Sewell Direct

Also, check out our dedicated AVS subforum here.

post #4 of 6 Old 07-13-2015, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wanted to know about the newer IR blaster PRO that Sewell offers. I am moving everything to a basement location (only a few feet below my home theater area). I am going to run a pioneer VSX-1120, Roku 2, Arris Cable Box (Wowcable), so the length and number of blasters with the PRO seems to be good enough.

The main two question topics that I have is:
1) What differentiates this unit from Monoprices $17 blaster, and Xantech's $85 blaster? I've seen hardwired IR blasters ranging in price up to $230, and don't understand what drives the costs or the benefits of such expenses. Could you please explain if it is hardware/ram differences to increase range/speed of response/etc?

2) The Pioneer VSX-1120 has a direct IR connection into & out of the rear of the receiver. Is this a better connection that using the blaster eyes? Is the pioneer IR out something that is good to use rather than using another IR out from the PRO blaster, or only something to use if the PRO blaster outputs are fully utilized, or does it matter at all?
post #5 of 6 Old 07-14-2015, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinwl View Post
I wanted to know about the newer IR blaster PRO that Sewell offers. I am moving everything to a basement location (only a few feet below my home theater area). I am going to run a pioneer VSX-1120, Roku 2, Arris Cable Box (Wowcable), so the length and number of blasters with the PRO seems to be good enough.

The main two question topics that I have is:
1) What differentiates this unit from Monoprices $17 blaster, and Xantech's $85 blaster? I've seen hardwired IR blasters ranging in price up to $230, and don't understand what drives the costs or the benefits of such expenses. Could you please explain if it is hardware/ram differences to increase range/speed of response/etc?

2) The Pioneer VSX-1120 has a direct IR connection into & out of the rear of the receiver. Is this a better connection that using the blaster eyes? Is the pioneer IR out something that is good to use rather than using another IR out from the PRO blaster, or only something to use if the PRO blaster outputs are fully utilized, or does it matter at all?
1) Differences range from differing specs, construction materials, and ordering logistics to simple brand name markups. It's the same reason you can get HDMI cables with the exact same specs for $30 from big box retailers or $6 from us. Just putting the brand name on them carries a significant markup. In the case of the BlastIR Pro it's a dual band, 34-64 KHz IR extender (the industry standard) that supports the new RCMM IR protocol recently developed by Philips.

2) Some devices do have an input IR 3.5mm port but in general it's still best to use the adhesive IR emitters. The IR light emitted and received by the emitters is standard, the line level electrical signals sent and received by the 3.5mm port is often proprietary. You can definitely try to plug it in to that port but it most likely won't work. I recommend that most customers use the emitter eyes that come included with the kit.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-13-2016, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello, is this thread still being monitored by Sewell Direct? The location of the IR sensor on my new TV (a Sony KDL-75W850C) is completely blocked by my center channel speaker and I've been looking through your company's various IR repeater products to determine which one would best fit my needs. Is the promotional offer for the Ghost IR Remote Control Extender still available?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
hide equipment in cabinet , ir repeater , remote control extender

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page