SA8300HD and recording using D-VHS TIME WARNER MANHATTAN - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-09-2008, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR with Mystro software and want to record using a D-VHS recorder.

Please respond if you have Time Warner/Manhattan and are already recording or planning to record using a D-VHS recorder and inform me of the specifics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-09-2008, 10:26 AM

Liked: 11
If the box has working firewire ports the D-VHS will work just fine. If not, they are violating FCC rules. For three years, I've had TW with Mystro(and other software), and with 3250HD box. Never had any issues.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-09-2008, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a8vdeluxe View Post

If the box has working firewire ports the D-VHS will work just fine. If not, they are violating FCC rules. For three years, I've had TW with Mystro(and other software), and with 3250HD box. Never had any issues.

Thank you a8vdeluxe. However, my understanding is that the firewire ports in the 8300HD aren't always active.

Interesting that this is a violation of FCC rules (inactive 1394s).

Is there a way to determine if they are working. I'm going to purchase a d-VHS recorder today. I have some important HD content on my 8300HD so I can't switch boxes.

Thanx again!
post #4 of 7 Old 03-09-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb222 View Post

I have a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR with Mystro software and want to record using a D-VHS recorder.

Please respond if you have Time Warner/Manhattan and are already recording or planning to record using a D-VHS recorder and inform me of the specifics.

i dont, but after way too long on here, i do think you might find some helpful info here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=593271

search the thread for DVHS for the most relevant posts - theyve talked about all types of captures... and there seem to be plenty of important warnings too.

good luck!

nofool

nofool ;)

broadcast junkie/hopeless surfer (cable-reluctant/dvr-hooked)

SD/ana PV-M2058 w/SA8300HDC-TW, PanDVD-F65 w/ToshSMC5560 ZenSF1315W w/ShpVC-H800U
not really high-tech (what can i say..)
post #5 of 7 Old 03-10-2008, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hi Av8,

I just got off the phone with the Time Warner Manhattan technical support person and he communicated to me that you are not able to use the firewire ports for recording off the SA8300HDC with the JVC D-VHS recorder.

What do you think.

Thank you for your help.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-10-2008, 06:40 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb222 View Post

Hi Av8,

I just got off the phone with the Time Warner Manhattan technical support person and he communicated to me that you are not able to use the firewire ports for recording off the SA8300HDC with the JVC D-VHS recorder.

What do you think.

Thank you for your help.

Not sure about the 8300, maybe the earlier models were not active. What I had to do, was call Time Warner and request a box with active firewire ports. They are legally required to provide if you ask. Since my work prevented me from scheduling an apointment I had to swing by their outlet to exchange my non-HD box, and they said they only had 1 or 2 in stock. They also told me to ask for "John" when I got there about this special box. Believe it or not, John actually sat down with me and ask what I'd do if they didn't have a box with firewire. Well being a reader of AVSforum, I figured the TW rep was just trying to talk me into renting their more expensive HD DVR box, so I simply said probalby switch to DirectTV. He had a FirewireHD box in my hands within 3 minutes!

This fall we are supposed to be able buy boxes from Best Buy, etc. so we don't have to rent cable boxes/remotes anymore. But, I'm not holding my breath because they have been saying that for years(cable likes renting to you forever). By the way, the reason I've never actually switched to DirectTV is because I don't think any of their boxes have firewire that records all(copy once) HD shows to my D-VHS, or the network channels(copy freely) to my firewire equipped computer. Their DVRs are great for time time warping, but suck for archiving. And with Brett Favre retiring because your God dam Giants beat us in the NFC championship game, I sure am glad that I recorded the whole season on D-VHS and computer! Eli may have come of age, but the Packers sub -whatever his name is- will be hot on his heals. Yea right. Long live Brett!!
post #7 of 7 Old 03-10-2008, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Not sure about the 8300, maybe the earlier models were not active. What I had to do, was call Time Warner and request a box with active firewire ports. They are legally required to provide if you ask. Since my work prevented me from scheduling an apointment I had to swing by their outlet to exchange my non-HD box, and they said they only had 1 or 2 in stock. They also told me to ask for "John" when I got there about this special box. Believe it or not, John actually sat down with me and ask what I'd do if they didn't have a box with firewire. Well being a reader of AVSforum, I figured the TW rep was just trying to talk me into renting their more expensive HD DVR box, so I simply said probalby switch to DirectTV. He had a FirewireHD box in my hands within 3 minutes!

This fall we are supposed to be able buy boxes from Best Buy, etc. so we don't have to rent cable boxes/remotes anymore. But, I'm not holding my breath because they have been saying that for years(cable likes renting to you forever). By the way, the reason I've never actually switched to DirectTV is because I don't think any of their boxes have firewire that records all(copy once) HD shows to my D-VHS, or the network channels(copy freely) to my firewire equipped computer. Their DVRs are great for time time warping, but suck for archiving. And with Brett Favre retiring because your God dam Giants beat us in the NFC championship game, I sure am glad that I recorded the whole season on D-VHS and computer! Eli may have come of age, but the Packers sub -whatever his name is- will be hot on his heals. Yea right. Long live Brett!!

Ok, you're not going to want to hear this - the reason I want to record off the DVR is the Superbowl/Giants 42. Hence, changing boxes is not an option for this.

If this can't be done with a JVC D-VHS recorder using the firewire port, I'm hoping someone has any other ideas.

I feel your pain and actually like the Packers except against you know who. And we'll see if Eli has come of age.

By the way, what D-VHS recorder are you using and where are you located?

Thanx for an entertaining response.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page