Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 82 Old 10-12-2011, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKrell View Post

It sure sounds like your Maxtor is going south. To try and recover what you can (or move them to a new EHD), I recommend booting up a Linux live CD and then plugging it in and see what it "sees". Modern versions of Linux auto-mount and show you the contents. (I was using Fedora 15.) All partitions on that EHD are ext3. You should see a 1GB partition with nothing of interest on it, and then a 500GB partition with a lost+found folder and the DishArc folder, and then additional partitions (500GB max) to cover the whole drive. You can copy the contents of the DishArc folder elsewhere, and e.g. put it back onto a new/replacement disk, once you let the receiver format it appropriately.

Thank you very much for the prompt reply. I'll definitely give it a try.

Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 82 Old 11-07-2011, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
When watching a show you could always press the record this event button. If you started watching from the start of the event it would give you the option of record entire event. Previously if you started watching after the event began you could still back up to where you began watching and record remainder of the event would record from the backed up to spot.

Now however when you do that if still only saves the recording from the live TV spot.

It looks to me that they deleted a great feature.

Rick R
post #63 of 82 Old 12-02-2011, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Program guide data just disappears for some reason. This has happened 3 times since the time change. Every entry (except for the current timeslot) shows 'no info available'. Eventually, the data slowly re-populates, but the missing data causes all hell to break loose with the recordings as the timeframes are lost as well as the ability to sense a new show vs a repeat.

Anyone have this happen and/or know why?
post #64 of 82 Old 12-03-2011, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Not here. Just in case this is your internal disk dying, try copying everything of value off to an EHD ASAP.
post #65 of 82 Old 12-04-2011, 10:58 AM

Liked: 11
Although you may save $3 or $5 or whatever monthly by switching to the bundled service, any external hard drives that you have been using on the previous account will not be accessible after you change to the bundled one, or vice versa. I spent literally almost $1000 in external hard drives archiving movies, shows, concerts etc, thinking it would save buying the Blu-Ray of them, only to find I'm screwed with no solution after I switched to a telco bundle. One would almost think they could be charged for negligence to inform the customer of such facts. Very, very disappointing.

It's enough for me to consider changing to a digital HD C-Band dish and the providers (169time and one other, I think) who used to modify the receivers to record to external D-VHS or hard drive, at least that setup shouldn't have that problem. Could only pay for the channels you wanted to watch, also. Of course, you could only record one channel at a time unless you used multiple dishes or from the same satellite. Anyone know if those options still exist? OR, perhaps another way to salvage the programming off those almost $1000 of external drives?
post #66 of 82 Old 12-04-2011, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

The Dish Internet Response Team can unbundle without changing your account number, thus preserving your external archives. If you're bundling, then I have no idea and I'll take your word for it.
post #67 of 82 Old 12-04-2011, 06:01 PM

Liked: 11
If any of the customer service reps that handled the bundling/unbundling via phone had bothered to tell me, I wouldn't have wasted so much money, enough to buy a decent digital projector. I had already gone from unbundled, to bundled, and unbundled again (recording prodigiously all the way) before finding out, so unless they could do a lot of messing around with things for me to figure which external drives were tied to which service, and then transfer back onto the receiver and then change that to the present service and offload to another external drive, I would lose the present external drive programming that I can access, if that makes sense..

I guess I would be willing to try if they were, I still have the drives I can't access untouched, it would be a lot of trouble, but there is programming on them from several channels that don't exist any more and things that may not be shown again for some time, if ever. I may still have the billing statements to them.
post #68 of 82 Old 12-06-2011, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Unfortunately that makes entirely too MUCH sense. I have never heard of Dish going to the trouble of recovering/recreating the account info so that everything is again as it was. Once the account is closed, it's lost and gone forever. That's from what I've read of the DIRT folks over on http://satelliteguys.us.
post #69 of 82 Old 12-15-2011, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_R View Post

When watching a show you could always press the record this event button. If you started watching from the start of the event it would give you the option of record entire event. Previously if you started watching after the event began you could still back up to where you began watching and record remainder of the event would record from the backed up to spot.

Now however when you do that if still only saves the recording from the live TV spot.

It looks to me that they deleted a great feature.

Rick R

Now works again.
post #70 of 82 Old 01-14-2012, 08:46 AM

First I have a 722 with a bad hard drive. Still works fine, just no DVR feature. Its leased. I've heard horror stories about getting replacements that don't work right. Should I deal with Dish or just replace the hard drive myself? I've researched it, found the compatible drives, etc. Is it just a matter of popping a new one in and it configures itself?? Why wouldn't I do that. Costs less than the shipping back and forth to Dish.

Second, I have two HD TVs now, 50 feet apart. A projector using the component out in the living room and TV2 using the coax (SD) in the family room. I want them both to get the same HD signal. I read somewhere that both the HDMI and Component are live on the 722 at the same time. So I bought an HDMI extender from Monoprice and ran two 50 ft Cat5e patch cables to the other TV. Didn't work. No signal. They claim it will do 1080p up to 98ft so I thought I'd be more than within spec at 50ft. Are the adapters bad, or is the HDMI not live when the component is live? I have now way of checking.
post #71 of 82 Old 01-14-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 102
First, Dish will replace your defective 722 at no cost to you. The DVR is theirs, not yours, so you don't want to replace the hard drive in it yourself. If you do, you just bought it, they will charge you full price for it when you return it. Second, the HDMI and component outputs are both on at the same time, as you have read. If you had run a 50' HDMI cable to the other TV , it would work.....

Bobby 

post #72 of 82 Old 01-15-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

First, Dish will replace your defective 722 at no cost to you. The DVR is theirs, not yours, so you don't want to replace the hard drive in it yourself. If you do, you just bought it, they will charge you full price for it when you return it. Second, the HDMI and component outputs are both on at the same time, as you have read. If you had run a 50' HDMI cable to the other TV , it would work.....

I had to really snake the cables through a little opening, in a wall, around the baseboard and a thick 50ft HDMI cable wouldn't have worked. They also make power injected extenders that carry the signal better. I will go that route.
post #73 of 82 Old 02-23-2012, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I have a setup with 2 722 DVRs feeding HDTVs in separate areas of the house.

I recently added a small bedroom TV and am feeding it with the SD output of one of the 722s. Ran the signal into the cable in the wall from the 722, which goes through the whole house.

This will work fine for use by one of my kids. The only time I forsee a problem is if the 722 is set to record two programs at the same time.

Is there a way to use the other 722 to feed this same SDTV? It would be rare that both DVRs would have their tuners in full use.

Seems that a signal combiner would enable me to transmit both signals, by setting up different channels on the TV2 outputs of both boxes. Then it would just be a matter of switching between channels on the tv2, and grabbing the other Dish remote (which is currently unused.

Anybody know if this is possible?

If so, what specs would I need to look for on a splitter/combiner to get this done.
post #74 of 82 Old 02-24-2012, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, that will work with a standard TV coax splitter in reverse. Recommend leaving a "guard" channel or two between the two TV2 outputs.
post #75 of 82 Old 03-28-2012, 06:39 AM

My VIP722 has started having some issues. Occasionally when I select "my recordings" it displays the internal hard drive as empty.

Also, some scheduled events do not begin recording. If I happen to be watching and press "record" I get a scheduling conflict message, but it shows nothing scheduled.

If I unplug the receiver, wait 30, and plug it back in, everything seems to work again. I've had this happen 5 or 6 times in the last 2 weeks.

I'm thinking that I might need to replace my VIP722, or maybe upgrade to the Hopper. But if I do either, does that mean I'll lose everything on my external hard drive when I plug it into the new receiver?
post #76 of 82 Old 03-28-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

No, your EHD will follow you on both a new 722 or Hopper...

Bobby 

post #77 of 82 Old 03-28-2012, 08:22 AM

Thanks. I also called Dish to confirm.
post #78 of 82 Old 04-29-2013, 02:27 PM

I am having an HDD issue as well, it intermittently locks up. I have a new drive to put in the 722, but I need an image of the OS to restore the DVR function. Please help. Thanks in advance.
post #79 of 82 Old 05-07-2013, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

My 622 was crashing twice a week. 5 months ago I replaced it with a Hopper system. Problem solved.

Rick R
post #80 of 82 Old 06-26-2013, 12:39 PM

Rick_R,
I am glad to hear you’re enjoying the Hopper and if you have any questions about it please let me know and I am happy to help you!
Thanks
post #81 of 82 Old 06-30-2013, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Considering a switch to Dish Network from Charter Cable. Is the 722 receiver still available? I want a good ATSC OTA input, and not sure if this is available with the Hopper. Currently have a Dish DTVPal DVR and I like the menu interface for antenna reception, and it has a good tuner. Looking for a similar sat receiver that also provides good OTA antenna reception for local/regional channels.
post #82 of 82 Old 06-30-2013, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

The 722 is available and has a built in single OTA tuner. The 722K is a newer version and has an optional dual OTA tuner available. The Hopper has an optional USB OTA single tuner available as well. I've had the 722 and more recently the Hopper. The OTA tuner on the Hopper is very good, better than the single tuner that I had on the 722. OTA channels fit in right along with the regular satellite and local channels that Dish provides. I would recommend the Hopper if you want a good DVR with OTA access....

Bobby 

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page