AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   HDTV Recorders (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders/)
-   -   Dish network ViP 722 HD Receiver (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders/1011143-dish-network-vip-722-hd-receiver.html)

wolfeyes 03-23-2008 11:26 PM

My hard drive went dead in my vip722 what the best way to fix this. is there an image that i can download.

many thanks

ncted 03-25-2008 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post

My hard drive went dead in my vip722 what the best way to fix this. is there an image that i can download.

many thanks

Do you own it? If not, Dish will send you another one. If you own it, see my PM.

Ted

Scott Marinaro 04-21-2008 07:12 PM

My Vip722 is suggesting (via on-screen message) that I connect a phone line to the unit to avoid a $5.00 monthly charge. What are the real intentions behind this connection?

ncted 04-21-2008 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Marinaro View Post

My Vip722 is suggesting (via on-screen message) that I connect a phone line to the unit to avoid a $5.00 monthly charge. What are the real intentions behind this connection?

The real reason Dish wants you to plug in the phone line is so it can charge you when you watch PPV. Of course, you can pay the fee, and use the phone to order PPV: it is up to you. It also can keep track of the health of your DVR, make sure software upgrades go well, etc.

Alternately, with the 722, you can plug it into a home network and take advantage of some upcoming features, such as remote programming which will allow you to record content on your DVR by programming it via a website. Going the home networking route will also remove the $5 fee.

Ted

primetimeguy 04-21-2008 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Marinaro View Post

My Vip722 is suggesting (via on-screen message) that I connect a phone line to the unit to avoid a $5.00 monthly charge. What are the real intentions behind this connection?

It's their way of knowing that your receiver is being used at your address, rather than stolen, pirated, etc at another location.

As mentioned by the above poster, you can also connect it to your broadband internet instead.

ddubb 04-25-2008 03:04 AM

Any other uses or advantages for having this dvr hooked up to a home network? Is there any way to play (and discretely record) any programming on your pc?

I have a few questions about connecting this dvr to an external hard drive. How much recording time do you get for different size drives?

I know the manufacturer says that the 722 does 350 hrs of sd and 70 hrs of hd; but no one outside the engineering department knows the storage capacity of the drive as expressed in bytes; all they know is hours of recording time. Conversely, no one at Dish customer service knows how many hours I'll get with different size drives.

All they can tell you is that the 722 can connect to a hdd that's minimum 40gb and max 750gb but not how much recording time you get with either.

I've heard everything from approx 1 hr per gb; to about 300 hrs on a 100 gb drive; etc.

Rick_R 04-25-2008 09:10 AM

The 722 has a 500 GB hard drive. For MPEG2 encoding it takes up to 10 GB per hour of HD recording. I believe the 10 GB per hour is if an OTA station is using the maximum 19.4 MBPS data rate. Since many use less than that many times it only takes about 8 GB per hour. With MPEG4 from satellite it appears to take about 4 GB per hour of HD.

My 622 which has a 320 GB hard drive has 20 GB reserved for one hour of live recording on the two TVs. That leaves 300 GB for storing saved programming. Dish claims that it records 30 hours of HD. However when I delete a one hour MPEG4 program it only adds about 25 minutes to the available recording time.

Hope this helps.

Rick R

ddubb 04-25-2008 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_R View Post

The 722 has a 500 GB hard drive. For MPEG2 encoding it takes up to 10 GB per hour of HD recording. I believe the 10 GB per hour is if an OTA station is using the maximum 19.4 MBPS data rate. Since many use less than that many times it only takes about 8 GB per hour. With MPEG4 from satellite it appears to take about 4 GB per hour of HD.

Hope this helps.

Rick R

Rick R, thank you very much. This is huge for me.

How did you find out this info about the 722? I really beat up on half a dozen csr's and two csr supervisors. They said only the engineering dept knew, and that there was no way to contact them for the answer, etc.

The most reliable answer I could get was from one Dish employee who said that his fellow csr supv has this set up at home (722 w/ ext hd) and he believes he gets 300 hrs with a 60gb drive. My gut told me that was a bit much.

ncted 04-26-2008 08:41 PM

Here is a quick list of shows and sizes from my USB hard drive:

LOST (1 hour, MPEG2, 720p): 5202MB (ABC OTA)
The Office (30 Minutes, MPEG4, 1080i): 2535MB (NBC LiL)
The Office (30 Minutes, MPEG4, 1080i): 1108MB (TBS-HD)
Torchwood (1 hour, MPEG2, 1080i): 5231MB (HDNET)
Battlestar Galactica (1 hour, MPEG4, 1080i): 3462MB (SciFi HD)
Lawrence of Arabia (4 hours, MPEG2, 1080i): 11898MB (HDNET)

Hope this is enlightening.

Ted

Rick_R 04-28-2008 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddubb View Post

How did you find out this info about the 722? I really beat up on half a dozen csr's and two csr supervisors. They said only the engineering dept knew, and that there was no way to contact them for the answer, etc.

Dish Network has Technical Forums and Charlie Chats on the second monday of the month at 9:00PM ET on channel 101. There is typically one Tech Forum and one Charlie Chat a quarter. The Charlie Chats are a one hour show of the Dish Network CEO Charlie Ergen and one other guy talking about the Dish Network Service. The Tech Fourms are also one hour and there are two Engineering Managers that talk about Technical Issues. They give out this kind of technical information.

Both programs also take live and emailed questions.

My experience is that much of the show is boring but there is also lots of good information if you like to know the technical stuff behind the satellite service.

Rick R

unorthodoxx 08-18-2008 07:27 PM

I would like to connect my 612 and 722 to my wireless network.

I would like to run my broadband connection to my dish network recievers to waive a $5 per month fee since it is not plugged into a phone outlet. (I do not have a landline i use a cell phone). I have a wireless router. How can I get that signal to my dish network reciever? I dont want to run a long cat5 cable from one room to another. Is there something I can buy that will recieve my wireless signal allowing me to run a short cat5 cable from that device to my dish network reciever?

ncted 08-19-2008 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unorthodoxx View Post

I would like to connect my 612 and 722 to my wireless network.

I would like to run my broadband connection to my dish network recievers to waive a $5 per month fee since it is not plugged into a phone outlet. (I do not have a landline i use a cell phone). I have a wireless router. How can I get that signal to my dish network reciever? I dont want to run a long cat5 cable from one room to another. Is there something I can buy that will recieve my wireless signal allowing me to run a short cat5 cable from that device to my dish network reciever?

If you can plug one of them into the router, you can conceivably use the built-in HomePlug functionality to let the 2nd receiver connect to the first through your electrical wiring. The downside is you need a compatible power strip or UPS if you want to use one of those.

Another alternative is to use one or more wireless bridges, like this one from LinkSys: http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...=1134692497433

Ted

revivalizt 08-20-2008 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unorthodoxx View Post

I would like to connect my 612 and 722 to my wireless network.

I would like to run my broadband connection to my dish network recievers to waive a $5 per month fee since it is not plugged into a phone outlet. (I do not have a landline i use a cell phone). I have a wireless router. How can I get that signal to my dish network reciever? I dont want to run a long cat5 cable from one room to another. Is there something I can buy that will recieve my wireless signal allowing me to run a short cat5 cable from that device to my dish network reciever?

YES.

answer: Airport Express http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance

revivalizt 08-20-2008 06:01 AM

is it possible to play your recorded movies that you save on external hard drive on PC?

why is there a limit 750gb max external HD? what's wrong with 1Tb?

unorthodoxx 08-20-2008 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted View Post

If you can plug one of them into the router, you can conceivably use the built-in HomePlug functionality to let the 2nd receiver connect to the first through your electrical wiring. The downside is you need a compatible power strip or UPS if you want to use one of those.

Another alternative is to use one or more wireless bridges, like this one from LinkSys: http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...=1134692497433

Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by revivalizt View Post

YES.

answer: Airport Express http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance

Thanks for the replies! I think I may go with the Apple Airport, since I will be upgrading the network to the N standard. I have one computer on the edge of the house that barely connects to my network.

ncted 08-20-2008 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revivalizt View Post

is it possible to play your recorded movies that you save on external hard drive on PC?

why is there a limit 750gb max external HD? what's wrong with 1Tb?

Not at this time. Some folks have reported getting 1TB drives to work.

Ted

revivalizt 08-20-2008 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted View Post

Not at this time. Some folks have reported getting 1TB drives to work.

Ted

Where I can read more to confirm that?

How bout viewing the recorded movies on external HD onto HTPC?

ncted 08-22-2008 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revivalizt View Post

Where I can read more to confirm that?

How bout viewing the recorded movies on external HD onto HTPC?

Sorry. I was answering your questions in order. I do not know of a way to view the recorded movies on a HTPC at this time. I'll PM you a link to the other.

Ted

Dcmkx2000 09-19-2008 03:04 PM

I have ATT internet with a modem/wireless all-in-one. Where and how would I plug it into my 722 receiver? What benefits will it give me?

ncted 09-20-2008 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcmkx2000 View Post

I have ATT internet with a modem/wireless all-in-one. Where and how would I plug it into my 722 receiver? What benefits will it give me?

You would need to run an ethernet cable from the 722 to the modem/wireless all-in-one somehow. The only benefit at this time is that the phone line is no longer required. In the future Dish plans to offer Internet-based scheduling which would require the ethernet connection.

Ted

fredtbrown 10-08-2008 10:08 PM

Hi, just been reading over the other posts here. I just connected the CAT5 cable to my system. I see lots of new programming available thru dish online. I was able to create a name for my receiver to schedule events online but it seems that is still being worked on. My reason for posting is I notice several people are trying to save the $5 as they only have internet and no phone line. A simple fix is to get a phone line, not thru the phone company but thru magic jack. I have one and it works ok most of the time. They cost like $40 upfront and $20 a year. Thats a lot less than the $5.00 dish charges a month and I have had no trouble with my 722 or 625 both of which are hooked up thru the magicjack. Hope this gives someone an Idea.

Chaseskip 09-28-2010 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted View Post

Do you own it? If not, Dish will send you another one. If you own it, see my PM.

Ted

Do you have a technical fix for the Non-Booting vip722's? I have two of them here now & have no way of getting Dish to replace them.

enelson 10-10-2010 07:24 PM

Hoping this forum is still alive. A few questions.

I have a ViP 722 receiver. If I hook up an external hard drive, pay the $40 to activate it, I know I can move recorded content to the external hd.

Question 1: If I were to copy an .avi file to the external hd from my computer, move the external hd to the ViP receiver, would I be able to watch the .avi file? Basically, may I use the ViP receiver with an external hd as a media server? I understand the file system is extfs but am unsure what audio/video codes the media server will play.

Question 2: I have 3 HD TV in my house. The ViP 722 plays HD to one of the TVs. How much is it going to cost me to get HD to my other 2 TVs? Is it cheaper go cable? What about AT&T's service?

Thanks!

TheKrell 10-11-2010 05:04 AM

Yes, this forum is still alive. See my answer in the other AVS forum.

dxjnorto 12-07-2010 08:29 PM

Hi folks, has anyone experienced any shenanigans from Dish after buying their own receivers? I just grilled the CSR and she told me I could keep my current programming. This would save me $17 per month (with local sales tax that is $216.75 per year.) I was told even though I have two receivers, I would only pay my current $6 monthly DVR Service fee. New VIP722s are $254.99 free shipping on eBay right now. The savings would pay for two VIP722s in two years and four months. That means I would own my DVRs several times over by now. In my experience they are pretty reliable.

Does anyone else own their own?

TheKrell 12-08-2010 10:42 AM

I own my own 722 and lease two 612's. It does not matter whether you own or lease; the new exhorbitant "additional receiver" fees must be paid regardless.

Your highest-tier receiver will become your primary receiver and cost nothing unless it's a DVR in which case your account will get dinged $6/mo. Exceptions are the 922 which costs $10/mo instead of $6, and the 501/508 DVR receivers which are grandfathered and do not incur the DVR fee at all.

Additional receivers cost you as follows: Receivers providing outputs for a single TV: $7/mo or $10/mo if it's a DVR. Receivers providing two independent outputs cost $14/mo or $17/mo if it's a DVR.

I don't like this fee structure either. Dish has become the pig they used to accuse the cable industry of being. Their http://dontfeedthepig.com domain name is long since abandoned.

dxjnorto 12-08-2010 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKrell View Post

Additional receivers cost you as follows: Receivers providing outputs for a single TV: $7/mo or $10/mo if it's a DVR. Receivers providing two independent outputs cost $14/mo or $17/mo if it's a DVR.

Thanks for replying Krell. I should have posted in the other thread, but didn't find it until after I had posted.

Right now I am paying the $17 lease fee for a 622 and a 722. On my monthly statement it is listed as "HD Duo (2TV) DVR Receiver."

But if I owned my own I wouldn't pay that would I? Do you pay $10 monthly for both of your 612s? + the $6 monthly DVR Service fee?

bobby94928 12-08-2010 12:14 PM

Yes, you will pay that $17 whether you own it or not. The price is the same either way.

dxjnorto 12-08-2010 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

Yes, you will pay that $17 whether you own it or not. The price is the same either way.

I don't doubt it, but I grilled her pretty hard and she said definitely "no."

TheKrell 12-08-2010 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxjnorto View Post

$10 monthly for both of your 612s? + the $6 monthly DVR Service fee?

Correct. Been that way since Feb 1 when the new feejacking occurred.

Your CSR was totally and completely wrong. If you had a copy of this exchange somehow (online chat?) then you might be able to talk somebody into giving you what they promised. But this is definitely not Dish policy at the present time.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.